mtbr member

New Goblin-Clicking sound when pedaling

I rode my sick new ride to work today and noticed a clicking sound when I was pedaling. It sounding like it was coming from the right pedal but I checked both pedals and they were was nice and tight. I've also checked the seat/seatpost and made sure it wasn't my shoelaces. The crank seems to have a little bit of play so wondering if that's what I'm hearing. Thoughts?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by airlocksniffer View Post
    I rode my sick new ride to work today and noticed a clicking sound when I was pedaling. It sounding like it was coming from the right pedal but I checked both pedals and they were was nice and tight. I've also checked the seat/seatpost and made sure it wasn't my shoelaces. The crank seems to have a little bit of play so wondering if that's what I'm hearing. Thoughts?
    Here's the normal order of checking that I go thru when checking out possibly crank-related noises (in order of most-likely causes) :

1. Seat clamp on seat
    2. Seat post clamp
    3. Pedals (ensure they are greased, tight in the crank, and have the washers installed). Also the pedals themselves could be the culprit.
    4. Crank bolt on non-drive side.
    5. Chainring bolts
    6. BB

Now, if the crank has play, check the crankbolt first. I think it's an 8mm allen.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Okay, seatpost and seat clamp are snug as is the crankbolt. The pedals are new Sun-Ringle ZuZu platforms, which are tight and have a washer but I neglected to grease when I installed. Would the dry chain lube work I have at home or maybe some silicone plumbers grease? One chainring bolt took another 1/2 turn. I haven't taken it back outside yet to see if that worked. If that all fails, I guess I need to try to tighten the BB. Do I need to buy some special tools to do this?

Thanks,
    John

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by airlocksniffer View Post
    Okay, seatpost and seat clamp are snug as is the crankbolt. The pedals are new Sun-Ringle ZuZu platforms, which are tight and have a washer but I neglected to grease when I installed. Would the dry chain lube work I have at home or maybe some silicone plumbers grease? One chainring bolt took another 1/2 turn. I haven't taken it back outside yet to see if that worked. If that all fails, I guess I need to try to tighten the BB. Do I need to buy some special tools to do this?

Thanks,
    John
    John,

Silicone grease on the pedals should work fine.

The outboard bearing takes an outboard bearing tool, however I've rarely seen one of them be loose. That's why its the last thing on my list.

I'm suspicious of the pedals.

I'd grease them when you get home and see if that makes it go away.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jeremy. I appreciate your feedback.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Sorry to revive an old thread, but did you get to the bottom of your problem? I am having what sounds like the same issue on my Seeker. The single click is inaudible but it is originating from the right (drive) side when I apply pressure with my foot.

I can find no excess play in anything but the rear cassette. I don't have a tool to check the tightness of it. I only recently noticed this so I have not disassembled anything yet. About 200mi on the bike so far.

Airborne Product Dude
    I'd suggest to go thru the stuff I mentioned above, and also take a look at this vid which is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl-C2eIdN-U

Good luck!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Yep, apparently a spacer was left out of the bb during assembly that cost me $20 to get right. I contacted Eric and he send me a box of goodies including water bottles, stickers and an rd hanger. I'll call that a fair trade. Now I can plaster Airborne stickers everywhere for some guerrilla advertising.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I just investigated closer. Sure enough my BB is loose on the non drive side (can't budge the other by hand). Im unsure if I am missing a spacer or if things just need to be tightened up. I'll be stopping by my Lbs later today before I ride and see if they can snug it up.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Was it the plastic spacer on the drive side?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Got the same noise checked pedals amd seat post don't think that's the problem sounds coming from the right towards bottom of bike

Airborne Product Dude
    Check everything I mentioned in post#2 of this thread.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I recently had this problem and checked everything on the list. It turned out to be loose cassette. Once tightened, no more clicking noises so add that to the list of things to check.

1. Seat clamp on seat
    2. Seat post clamp
    3. Pedals (ensure they are greased, tight in the crank, and have the washers installed). Also the pedals themselves could be the culprit.
    4. Crank bolt on non-drive side.
    5. Chainring bolts
    6. BB
    7. Cassette