mtbr member

New Goblin-Clicking sound when pedaling

I rode my sick new ride to work today and noticed a clicking sound when I was pedaling. It sounding like it was coming from the right pedal but I checked both pedals and they were was nice and tight. I've also checked the seat/seatpost and made sure it wasn't my shoelaces. The crank seems to have a little bit of play so wondering if that's what I'm hearing. Thoughts?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by airlocksniffer View Post
    I rode my sick new ride to work today and noticed a clicking sound when I was pedaling. It sounding like it was coming from the right pedal but I checked both pedals and they were was nice and tight. I've also checked the seat/seatpost and made sure it wasn't my shoelaces. The crank seems to have a little bit of play so wondering if that's what I'm hearing. Thoughts?
    Here's the normal order of checking that I go thru when checking out possibly crank-related noises (in order of most-likely causes) :

1. Seat clamp on seat
    2. Seat post clamp
    3. Pedals (ensure they are greased, tight in the crank, and have the washers installed). Also the pedals themselves could be the culprit.
    4. Crank bolt on non-drive side.
    5. Chainring bolts
    6. BB

Now, if the crank has play, check the crankbolt first. I think it's an 8mm allen.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Okay, seatpost and seat clamp are snug as is the crankbolt. The pedals are new Sun-Ringle ZuZu platforms, which are tight and have a washer but I neglected to grease when I installed. Would the dry chain lube work I have at home or maybe some silicone plumbers grease? One chainring bolt took another 1/2 turn. I haven't taken it back outside yet to see if that worked. If that all fails, I guess I need to try to tighten the BB. Do I need to buy some special tools to do this?

Thanks,
    John

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by airlocksniffer View Post
    Okay, seatpost and seat clamp are snug as is the crankbolt. The pedals are new Sun-Ringle ZuZu platforms, which are tight and have a washer but I neglected to grease when I installed. Would the dry chain lube work I have at home or maybe some silicone plumbers grease? One chainring bolt took another 1/2 turn. I haven't taken it back outside yet to see if that worked. If that all fails, I guess I need to try to tighten the BB. Do I need to buy some special tools to do this?

Thanks,
    John
    John,

Silicone grease on the pedals should work fine.

The outboard bearing takes an outboard bearing tool, however I've rarely seen one of them be loose. That's why its the last thing on my list.

I'm suspicious of the pedals.

I'd grease them when you get home and see if that makes it go away.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jeremy. I appreciate your feedback.