mtbr member

New Goblin...Boy, things sure have changed over the past 25 years...

My last (and first) mountain bike was a 1987 Rockhopper that I bought new back in high school. I rode that sucker up and down the mountains of central Pennsylvania, but after college, it sat unused and unloved for years until the missus got rid of it a couple of years ago. In the mean time, I got fat, got married, had kids, got skinny again, and started riding again last year. I started with a road bike, but my first love was always off-road. After getting the green light from the the better half (S-1=2), I decided on the Goblin.

The FedEx guy came yesterday, but no one was home. I put in a request to pick up the bike at the "local" FedEx store (30 miles away) and picked it up this afternoon. The first thing I noticed when I got it on the stand was the rear derailleur hanger was bent in. The bottom of the derailleur cage was hitting the spokes.
    New Goblin...Boy, things sure have changed over the past 25 years...-bentrd.jpg
    2 minutes with a crescent wrench took care of that.

The bike looks like a (suprise!) Goblin. So I will show what I did differently from the others.

First, to protect the chainstay, a road tube, cut to a strip and wrapped in a harlequin fashion, finished off with a piece of Scotch 2228 tape.
    New Goblin...Boy, things sure have changed over the past 25 years...-chainstay.jpg

The fork tube is a bit long. I will bust out the hacksaw after a real shakedown ride tomorrow.

New Goblin...Boy, things sure have changed over the past 25 years...-headtube.jpg

And finally, the pedals...I had ordered a set of Wellgo M143 platform pedal off that internet auction site, but it's somewhere over the Pacific at this time. I got a set of Wellgo M-20's and some Zefel Christophe mountain clips to go with it for now, but I may keep it, cause that what I cut my teeth with back in the day.

New Goblin...Boy, things sure have changed over the past 25 years...-pedal.jpg

I did a quick ride this evening at a nearby trail before it got dark and noticed a few things. First, holy carp (fish), the thing rolls well. 29 inch wheels are for real! Second, the fork is pure cheating. With the rigid fork, I had to pick my line and be careful. With the Reba, I just pointed and go. I can't imagine what a FS bike will be like, but I don't think I can bring myself into getting one, as big as an old fart that I am. Lastly, what's up with the wide handlebars? I had a True Temeper cro-mo bar that I cut down to near 500mm as was the fashion back in the day. The 640mm bar on the Goblin does feel stable, but kind of weird. I'm sure I'll get used to it, and I'll keep it as is as I am now old and like the non-twitchy handling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Congratulations!

It's unfortunate the hangar was bent but fortunately you were able to fix it quick, without additional cost.

Thanks for the reminder to put some protection on the chainstay. I have a roll of F4 tape that's up to the task.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The bars might seem wider than you're used to, but wider bars is the trend. I actually run 680, but wouldn't want to go much wider as that would put me in conflict with trees at my local trails.

Sounds like you're a pretty seasoned rider. Think you'll enjoy the Goblin a lot.

Ride the heck out of it.

mtbr member

What happens when you bring a knife to a gun fight?

The exact same thing when you take a XC 29'er to a technical single track full of rocks (actually boulders), roots, devilish drops, tight switch backs, and to top it off, full of loose gravel and sand. The bearer of the knife gets his a$$ kicked. The bike came out with flying colors with only a couple of scuffs on the ends of the cranks.

After that misadventure, I took it on a more reasonable ride with a mixture of fireroads, some rocky segments and fast hardpack single tracks, which better suited this old man. The 20 year-old in me thoroughly enjoyed the earlier ride, but in the end, the self preservation instincts of the 42 year-old came through. The Goblin really shined in that setting, with the Reba forks soaking up the bumps, and the 29" wheels rolling over everything.

The only glitch was that the rear derailleur was hesitant to down shift, but I'm sure that it's due to the too-long cable that needs to be lubed, both of which will be taken care of shortly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

New Goblin...Boy, things sure have changed over the past 25 years...

Quote Originally Posted by drteming View Post
    The exact same thing when you take a XC 29'er to a technical single track full of rocks (actually boulders), roots, devilish drops, tight switch backs, and to top it off, full of loose gravel and sand. The bearer of the knife gets his a$$ kicked. The bike came out with flying colors with only a couple of scuffs on the ends of the cranks.

After that misadventure, I took it on a more reasonable ride with a mixture of fireroads, some rocky segments and fast hardpack single tracks, which better suited this old man. The 20 year-old in me thoroughly enjoyed the earlier ride, but in the end, the self preservation instincts of the 42 year-old came through. The Goblin really shined in that setting, with the Reba forks soaking up the bumps, and the 29" wheels rolling over everything.

The only glitch was that the rear derailleur was hesitant to down shift, but I'm sure that it's due to the too-long cable that needs to be lubed, both of which will be taken care of shortly.
    I'm glad to hear you are enjoying your Goblin! I came from an old Stumpjumper to a Goblin after a decades long hiatus, too.

One thing, tho. Since your hangar arrived bent I'd use a real derailleur tool (like the Park DAG-2) to make sure it's spot on in both planes before blaming the problem on the cable length. I had similar issues that were resolved by straightening the hangar.

Have fun!
    James

Airborne Product Dude

FYI we leave the cables on the slightly long side to accomodate for folks who need to get their bars high and/or want to run super wide bars. Like mentioned by Motec, that probably isn't the cause though for shifting issues. Check to ensure the RD hanger is straight and that the tension is adjusted. The cable housing may have already bedded in a bit during your first ride and needs a slight tuning.

Glad you like your bike!!!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTec View Post
    One thing, tho. Since your hangar arrived bent I'd use a real derailleur tool (like the Park DAG-2) to make sure it's spot on in both planes before blaming the problem on the cable length. I had similar issues that were resolved by straightening the hangar.
    Cool! Will check it out tonight. Thanks.

mtbr member
    After thinking about it for a few minutes, I bet it's the hanger, because the problem with downshifting only occurs when going from the 32t cog to the 28t cog and the 28t cog to the 25t cog. It's fine at the other parts of the cassette. Classic symptoms of a bent hanger.

Airborne Product Dude
    After thinking about it for a few minutes, I bet it's the hanger, because the problem with downshifting only occurs when going from the 32t cog to the 28t cog and the 28t cog to the 25t cog. It's fine at the other parts of the cassette. Classic symptoms of a bent hanger.
    Shoot Eric an email at support@airbornebicycles.com with those photos and your order# and info. He'll get a new hanger sent out.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Shoot Eric an email at support@airbornebicycles.com with those photos and your order# and info. He'll get a new hanger sent out.
    You guys are awesome!

mtbr member
    Quick thanks to everyone at Airborne. Got the replacement derailleur hanger (actually, Eric sent 2!). Everything is shifting great.

mtbr member
    Finally got all the little things done. The steering tube has been cut, and now conforms to rule 45. (Does the rules apply to mountain biking?)
    New Goblin...Boy, things sure have changed over the past 25 years...-slammed.jpg

The Wellgo M142 pedals finally made their way across the Pacific.
    New Goblin...Boy, things sure have changed over the past 25 years...-m143.jpg

The derailleur cable housings have been shortened. I will get to the hydralic brake cables eventually. There's also a new saddle. The San Marcos looked great but murdered my butt.
    New Goblin...Boy, things sure have changed over the past 25 years...-goblin.jpg
    Yes, I know, the bike's too clean, but I had just cleaned it. I can't stand a dirty bike.