Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

New Airborne Model

Saw this in another thread. The two bikes being compared were the Trek Stache 7 and the goblin. Anyone hear anything more about it? I'm interested....

For those who want a slacker, beefier version of the Goblin with a short rear end, 120mm Revelation fork, big tire clearance, and 142x12 rear axle: it is coming soon. We've been riding protos of them locally all year and are about ready to go to production. This will be in addition to the current Goblin.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by swengo86 View Post
    Saw this in another thread. The two bikes being compared were the Trek Stache 7 and the goblin. Anyone hear anything more about it? I'm interested....

For those who want a slacker, beefier version of the Goblin with a short rear end, 120mm Revelation fork, big tire clearance, and 142x12 rear axle: it is coming soon. We've been riding protos of them locally all year and are about ready to go to production. This will be in addition to the current Goblin.
    We should be rolling this one out soon. Production is set to start in the next 6-8 weeks. Think of it as a trail-esque Goblin hardtail: Slacker geo, super short rear end, lots of mud clearance, beefier tubes, direct mount FD, 142x12 rear end, revelation with a maxle front, x7/x9 mix with a type 2 RD, Charger wheels with Ardent 2.4's, and a few other interesting touches.

This model will compliment the Goblin and will be for those who are looking at bikes like the Stache, Mason, etc.

More details will be released later.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Estimated price please?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sounds like a pretty sweet spec. Seems like all the big brands are jumping onto this trail/AM hardtail 29er trend....

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
    Estimated price please?
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: New Airborne Model

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    We should be rolling this one out soon. Production is set to start in the next 6-8 weeks. Think of it as a trail-esque Goblin hardtail: Slacker geo, super short rear end, lots of mud clearance, beefier tubes, direct mount FD, 142x12 rear end, revelation with a maxle front, x7/x9 mix with a type 2 RD, Charger wheels with Ardent 2.4's, and a few other interesting touches.

This model will compliment the Goblin and will be for those who are looking at bikes like the Stache, Mason, etc.

Jeremy
    Are you really trying to make me buy 3 airbornes with in a year!?!?

Can't wait. This one is on my list! Any chace you can slip us a name or color ideas you guys have?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by hedz0r View Post
    Can't wait. This one is on my list! Any chace you can slip us a name or color ideas you guys have?
    Hopefully it's something bright that makes a statement like the original green color on the goblin!

Airborne Product Dude
    Hopefully it's something bright that makes a statement like the original green color on the goblin!
    Something like Mexico Blue maybe?

Jeremy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Airborne Model-mexico-blau.jpg  

Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good Choice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    You like Porsche colours don't you. Guards Red now Mexico Blue! I guess the green goblin inspiration was GT3 RS Signal Green.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Love the blue!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member

New Airborne Model

Quote Originally Posted by TNBrit84 View Post
    You like Porsche colours don't you. Guards Red now Mexico Blue! I guess the green goblin inspiration was GT3 RS Signal Green.
    Well, he does own a Guards Red 944. So there's that. Lol

Green Goblin color was inspired by a car as well. A car with a Chevy v8 and "retro" styling.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This sounds interesting. At a recent Trek Demo Days at Cuyuna, I rode the Stache back-to-back with the Fuel 29er. I liked the Stache much better. It was just a fun bike.

The one update from Airborne I would like to see is the Hobgoblin slack up the geo a bit and mimic/copy/steal the Pivot 429 geo. Slack enough for most trail riding, steep enough to still handle XC duties quite well.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by TNBrit84 View Post
    Bingo on the red!

Jeremy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Airborne Model-ducts_splitterb.jpg  

Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Niiiiice ^

Airborne Flight Crew
    He just likes showing off his cars

That is going to be a sick bike, another one that should fly off the shelves!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    New Airborne Model-image.jpg

Not a Porsche but still a very cool color....oh and the car is pretty nice too

MTB B'dos
    I'll agree with this statement 100%. While Airbornes bikes are great value, for me since the switch to slacker than "normal" 29er geo I just don't understand why anyone besides racers would use that old school, steep, geo. Very curious as to the price point on this and for the frame only. Jeremy does like to tease a lot and he knows that it builds interest in future models doing it so far in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    He just likes showing off his cars

That is going to be a sick bike, another one that should fly off the shelves!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    While Airbornes bikes are great value, for me since the switch to slacker than "normal" 29er geo I just don't understand why anyone besides racers would use that old school, steep, geo.
    This is a matter of your opinion.

There are many people who like the type of geo we use, and there are several other companies who have sold thousands of bikes with this sort of geometry and still do.

My personal opinion is that I like XC-type geometry and it works great for me. Do I also like the more slacked-out geo of our coming AM HT 29er? Yes I do, for certain things. But I don't like it for regular XC style riding.

The vast majority of folks who purchase bikes from us buy them for riding XC-style trails, and we make geometry that works great for that.

I'm trying carefully to not come acrossed in a bad way here, but you've stated your opinion on this in many other threads and let's say that its been put out there and we've heard you. I appreciate the interest and your contribution, but I would ask that you understand that your opinion is just that; your opinion. If you don't like what we are doing I understand.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

MTB B'dos
    Not taking it the wrong way, but I believe you are taking mine the wrong way. Never said you were producing a bad product, just stating that since I moved from the old school thought process that 29ers need to have steeper angles to handle as nimbly or be as much fun as 26ers, my riding has improved and I have way more fun and despite what loads say, have no issues riding the slacker angles on XC stuff. I can still ride my rigid Monkey with those old school numbers and it's quite a bit of fun, but it gets so much better when I put on a 120mm fork and slack it out, and NO XC performance is not compromised.

That's MY opinion and thankfully I'm allowed to express it just as much as you are allowed to express yours, that's the beauty of an open consumer forum.

I challenge you to send out one or a few of these new bad boys to actual owners of your bread and butter XC geo bikes like the Goblin or Seeker and let them ride them and then let them give honest feedback here. I highly doubt any would say they prefer the XC geo of say the Goblin over this new, more relaxed geo, if in fact that is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    This is a matter of your opinion.

There are many people who like the type of geo we use, and there are several other companies who have sold thousands of bikes with this sort of geometry and still do.

My personal opinion is that I like XC-type geometry and it works great for me. Do I also like the more slacked-out geo of our coming AM HT 29er? Yes I do, for certain things. But I don't like it for regular XC style riding.

The vast majority of folks who purchase bikes from us buy them for riding XC-style trails, and we make geometry that works great for that.

I'm trying carefully to not come acrossed in a bad way here, but you've stated your opinion on this in many other threads and let's say that its been put out there and we've heard you. I appreciate the interest and your contribution, but I would ask that you understand that your opinion is just that; your opinion. If you don't like what we are doing I understand.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	429 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	827829

Not a Porsche but still a very cool color....oh and the car is pretty nice too
    I LOVE that color!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Not taking it the wrong way, but I believe you are taking mine the wrong way. Never said you were producing a bad product, just stating that since I moved from the old school thought process that 29ers need to have steeper angles to handle as nimbly or be as much fun as 26ers, my riding has improved and I have way more fun and despite what loads say, have no issues riding the slacker angles on XC stuff. I can still ride my rigid Monkey with those old school numbers and it's quite a bit of fun, but it gets so much better when I put on a 120mm fork and slack it out, and NO XC performance is not compromised.

That's MY opinion and thankfully I'm allowed to express it just as much as you are allowed to express yours, that's the beauty of an open consumer forum.

I challenge you to send out one or a few of these new bad boys to actual owners of your bread and butter XC geo bikes like the Goblin or Seeker and let them ride them and then let them give honest feedback here. I highly doubt any would say they prefer the XC geo of say the Goblin over this new, more relaxed geo, if in fact that is what it is.
    I'll go along with this. It sounds like this new bike is what I was looking for from Airborne 6 months ago. Since Airborne didn't have a slack geo trail/AM 29er I decided to build a Yelli instead. I had every intention of keeping my upgraded Guardian at the time, but it didn't take long to come to the realization that the YS made the Guardian, which I have since sold, redundant. It did everything the Guardian did only better, at least from my perspective. I'm not a racer, I ride for my own entertainment and fitness, and the YS or any other slack, short stay 29er is in my opinion more fun than the more traditional XC geometry.
    None of this to take away from what Airborne is doing or their business decisions, for the most part I like what you are doing. I currently still have a Wingman and my wife still rides a Skyhawk. Jeremy has stated here before that XC bikes are the majority of the mountain bike market, so that is their primary focus. Which is understandable. What I don't quite understand is why Airborne seems to go on the defensive when customers suggest that they would like to see more Trail/AM/DH/FR/whatever bikes. In another thread I posed the question, "What is Airborne working on for the future? It seems that the current lineup is almost entirely XC bikes." And I got a similar defensive type of response and an explanation as to how XC is the majority of the market, etc.
    I think the more appropriate response would have been "Thanks for being interested in buying your bikes from us. We are working on some new things we hope will interest you, but I can't provide details now." I have never said there is anything wrong with your current XC bike lineup, but is not ideal for me or the trails that I ride. I see no reason to get defensive about lyNx previous post, the inclusions of: "for me" and "I don't understand" already made it pretty clear that these were his opinions, and not statement of inarguable fact. He stated that your XC geometry is not for him and but that he is interested in this new bike. Sounds like a positive thing to me; you are attracting customers that you couldn't attract before.

I hope this will be taken as constructive criticism, as it is intended.
    You offer quality products, a great value and outstanding service. I am excited to see more new non-XC products from Airborne.

Airborne Product Dude
    Thanks~

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yea...I thought it was pretty cool looking.

Colors like that always turn heads on the trail.

mtbr member
    I've been thinking I wanted to try a slacker geo on my next bike. I may give the new one a try next year.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast