mtbr member
    Feb 2014

New Airborne Goblin- Stem, handlebars and post upgrades

Greetings guys,

Just ordered my Goblin on friday and according to FedEx it'll be at my doorsteps on Friday..

After all I hear is that the seat, seat post , handle bars and stems are probably the only thing they skimped on.

Now my question to you guys is that do you think the current deal that they have going on at jenson for the niner cockpit (Niner Cockpit | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop) will be an upgrade? I'm looking for more rideability rather than lightness (I weigh 225+)

Basically will i see a difference?

I'm coming from a 2012 Specialized Rock hopper Comp 29er.

Thanks!

mtbr member

I would say if you're not looking to save weight I would save your money. Having said that, I would spend my money on some lighter parts. I have a Ritchey WCS carbon seatpost, FSA OS-99 stem and FSA SL-K bars. All really nice upgrades.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

I'd swap the seat before the post, also before spending on upgrades I'd get a few rides in so I know that any changes are for the better rather than guess work. That way you can work on stem length, bar width etc to suit your style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by intensity1 View Post
    Greetings guys,

Just ordered my Goblin on friday and according to FedEx it'll be at my doorsteps on Friday..

After all I hear is that the seat, seat post , handle bars and stems are probably the only thing they skimped on.

Now my question to you guys is that do you think the current deal that they have going on at jenson for the niner cockpit (Niner Cockpit | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop) will be an upgrade? I'm looking for more rideability rather than lightness (I weigh 225+)

Basically will i see a difference?

I'm coming from a 2012 Specialized Rock hopper Comp 29er.

Thanks!
    I don't know if "skimp" is the best descriptor to use in regards to those pieces. We do what other manufacturers do for sub-$2K bikes for the most part. We use OE parts that while they aren't the lightest, they function well and won't break.

I'd say only replace them if you want the damping qualities of carbon or want to lighten things up, but functionally they are pretty decent pieces.

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The Airborne stuff is definitely decent - I am using them on my 26 buildup now. I went with a shorter stem and wider bars on my Seeker and that was mostly for fit and to change the handling characteristics, not because of a lack of quality. I lost a little weight, but not enough to really notice. Just a couple hundred grams.

The niner pieces are definitely nice, a friend runs them on his Niner EMD (carbon seat post, alloy stem and bars,) but I wouldn't say to replace your stuff unless you want to try something different (wider bars, shorter stem, etc) or wanted to lose some weight.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Congrats on the new Goblin!!

I did replace my cockpit parts. But only after riding them for a season and a half. They are really pretty good. I only chose to replace them because I had a case of upgrade-itis. I'm running Easton carbon bars, Easton Haven stem, and a Thomson seatpost. They were about 320g lighter than the stock parts with very little noticeable performance difference yet. The Airborne parts are good solid stout parts...and not excessively heavy. In fact, you have to spend some $$ to find a stem that is meaningfully lighter or stiffer than the 160g stock unit.

As far as I can tell, the place to start any major upgrading is the wheelset/tires. For cheap lightening, the tires are a good place to start. They roll well but run quite a bit heavier than Geax advertises. Compared to the lightweight tubeless xc tires I'm running, they weigh close to 2 lbs more especially when you factor in the tubes. Of course not every trail allows the use of my type of tire, but you should still be able to drop a pound off the total weight just by choosing a tire in the 700g range and going tubeless (Stans even sells a kit for the I-19 Speeddisc if you don't want to use the ghetto method).

If you are really looking for a weak point in these bikes, I would venture a guess and say that it is the hubs. They work well for most, but if you are heavier (like 230+) and/or ride heavy over rocks, stumps etc, you *might* have an issue. This is probably true for most bikes in this class as well.

mtbr member
    I think all companies put OE grade stuff on their bikes when it comes to stems..seat posts and blah blah blah...(until you get up the high end stuff) nothing really cheap about them..just plain old black aluminum parts with a logo on them sometimes..The biggest noticeable change I made on my Goblin was putting Sun Ringle Black Flag Wheels and lighter tires...that change I noticed right away...I did end up replacing the stem, handle bar, and seat post with carbon...got a little dampening but not enough to do cart wheels about it...

I sold my 26 hard tail but kept the wheels that where on it...gonna build up another wheel set for the 29er..Indusrty Nine hubs and some Stans Arch rims...because upgrade fever never goes away..it just embeds itself into your veins and takes over all rational thought...before you know it you are constantly looking at Jenson USA and Price Point for the deal of the day...even though you just checked it this morning..you get MTB Action magazine just to look at the pictures.. for some strange reason I check the Airborne Website like three times a week just in case they sneaked another model in on us and forgot to post about it...there is no cure once your hooked.

I think I would upgrade the wheels then worry about the other stuff later, welcome aboard!