Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

New Airborne Goblin

Hi folks, I'm a NOOB to say the least. Its been over 20yrs since I was biking on a regular basis and am very excited about getting back into it. I did some research and decided to purchase the new Airborne Goblin. They are due to ship in a few weeks so needles to say the wait is going to kill me. I am going to have lots of questions to ask and I have spent a lot of time on the forum. I live outside of Ottawa, Canada and plan on doing a lot of trail riding.

Steve

local bike dr.
    Aug 2012
    First, welcome back to biking! Don't let sore muscles and tired legs discourage you too much, in about six weeks your body will be more acclimated and have had time to adjust, allowing you much greater range than you might be comfortable with initially.

If you haven't already noticed, mtbr has tons of information and feedback throughout these forums on tools, safety gear, bags, clothes, computers, shoes, tires, components, setups, and technical skills. Be sure to hit the forum related to your question, as it may have already been discussed at length in an older thread, where riders with a wide range of skillsets and many years of experience have provided several points of view on the topic. Glad to have you with us!

mtbr member
    Looks like a killer bike for a great price. Just make sure you build it up correctly; if you are unsure how to do it, its worth every penny to have a shop do it for you.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Tiego,
    Thanks for the advice. I will be supporting my local LBS for sure. I gave my measurements to the guy at Airbourne and he reccomendeded a 20 frame and I think a 80 or 90mm stem but i will have to get advice on the set up for sure. Up here in Canada most of the shops are selling everything off at discounted prices as the summer season is coming to an end so now is a good time to get some of the things i will need. I bought some Azonic 420 flats as the bike doesnt come with pedals.

mtbr member
    Congrats Sleevem1 my first bike just arrived and got it from my LBS today, the waiting is worth it. These forums are great lots and lots of helpful info for newbies like us, and a bunch of people helping you get into this sport... don't forget your helmet!
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

"You will never ride alone"

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    Tiego,
    Thanks for the advice. I will be supporting my local LBS for sure. I gave my measurements to the guy at Airbourne and he reccomendeded a 20 frame and I think a 80 or 90mm stem but i will have to get advice on the set up for sure. Up here in Canada most of the shops are selling everything off at discounted prices as the summer season is coming to an end so now is a good time to get some of the things i will need. I bought some Azonic 420 flats as the bike doesnt come with pedals.
    You can order them with different size stems? That's awesome. I didn't expect that...

Cow Clicker
    Hi Sleevem! Congratulations and welcome One piece of advice I wish I had taken a long time ago was to buy a nice bib/short combo.
    I wear Canari Revolutions with Prana MOjo shorts as a shell. There is a combo called DirtBaggies that get good press. They are a more expensive way to go, but has features that may warrant the extra $$$.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The Goblin seems like a steal from what I've read so far. I hope to hear how she rides for you!

mtbr member
    Motec, i think they only come with one size but will find out on monday when i talk to them. I think from the email he sent he would reccommend changing it to a 80-90 stem. As for the helmet I bought up a Specialized Vice on sale for half price. It fit real nice and was in the limegreen blck/whte color scheme I'm going for. Plus being a rookie when i'm laying down unconscious in the forest I will be easier to spot by people passing by.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    PURCHASED THE NEW GOBLIN TO !!! :d

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Does the Goblin use the same frame as the Guardian just painted different?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by josh27292 View Post
    Does the Goblin use the same frame as the Guardian just painted different?
    Yes and no.

The green Goblin that we made first sort-of shares the same frame as the Guardian. The difference is that since we are a small company, and aren't held to needing to build every model year, we tweak designs slightly thru the year when we do small production runs. We modified the Guardian frame slightly since it's production run was after the last green Goblin run, to have more mud and tire clerance in the back by dimpling the chainstays and widening them, and widening the seatstays.

The new black Goblin frame is different. It utilizes a tapered HT and has slightly more rear tire clearance, and has had some tweeks made to the frame in regards to being built around a 100mm fork standard.

Hope that helps!
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    What about in frame weight? Is the Guardian frame heavier than the green Goblin?

Airborne Product Dude
    No it is not.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Hi Being a NOOB and all i have a question on afterarket wheel sets. If I were to pick up a set of the Sun Ringle Flag Pros or say Easton EA 70xc's I have no clue on determining what axle options to get. Can someone school me on this please. The Flag pros come with a Quick Release, 13512, 14212 Rear Axle Option. I have no clue what to order that will fit my new Goblin, front wheel and back.

PS: Big Daddy please tell me I will be getting my shipping confirmation soon the suspense is killin me.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    Hi Being a NOOB and all i have a question on afterarket wheel sets. If I were to pick up a set of the Sun Ringle Flag Pros or say Easton EA 70xc's I have no clue on determining what axle options to get. Can someone school me on this please. The Flag pros come with a Quick Release, 13512, 14212 Rear Axle Option. I have no clue what to order that will fit my new Goblin, front wheel and back.

PS: Big Daddy please tell me I will be getting my shipping confirmation soon the suspense is killin me.
    You need 135mm QR version for the rear, and standard QR for the front. New Goblins will be shipping out all week. You will get your tracking number the day after it ships, thanks!
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    BigDaddy, thanks for the info and quick response.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Support group? for those waiting..

I can honestly say at age 48, it is actually a neat and welcome feeling.
    That feeling of anticipation and excitement that you felt as a child on Christmas eve, waiting for the morning. A child like euphoria

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by OilburnerDe View Post
    Support group? for those waiting..

I can honestly say at age 48, it is actually a neat and welcome feeling.
    That feeling of anticipation and excitement that you felt as a child on Christmas eve, waiting for the morning. A child like euphoria
    Sign me up for the group! This is killing me to sit around like this...

Airborne Product Dude
    LOL!

We've been *told* by our shipping guys that a large bulk of the bikes are leaving today. Fingers crossed!
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    LOL!

We've been *told* by our shipping guys that a large bulk of the bikes are leaving today. Fingers crossed!
    Sweet!

These are shipping from the left coast?

Airborne Product Dude
    Yep, they are shipping from Carson, CA (near Long Beach).
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Aww that means even longer to the East coast. FWP

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Christmas is tomorrow! Just got my UPS Choice email advising that my new Goblin will be here sometime tomorrow.

On a side note, just wish it wasn't coming via UPS ... received my wifes Guardian last week and the box looked like it came thru a war zone and I'm just down the road in San Diego. Forutnately, no damage to the bike.

Airborne Product Dude
    Came into the office this morning to see notices that the warehouse shipped out A LOT of bikes yesterday. We will be busy dropping the tracking#'s into our e-commerce engine all day today. If you are waiting on a tracking# for your Goblin more-than-likely you should see it in your email box today. Thanks!!!
    Airborne Dude.

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast