Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    BDF, absolutely no offense intended. You know you guys rock and if it was raining money, someone would complain theirs was dirty.

Greenkeep, after reading this again this morning while less tired, I wanted to clarify. I do NOT have the bare shift cables crossing under the top tube. I have the housing going to their original locations and the housings crossing right behind the head tube.
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    BDF, absolutely no offense intended. You know you guys rock and if it was raining money, someone would complain theirs was dirty.

Greenkeep, after reading this again this morning while less tired, I wanted to clarify. I do NOT have the bare shift cables crossing under the top tube. I have the housing going to their original locations and the housings crossing right behind the head tube.
    Same here, here is some links for some better pics of what i actually did just so there is no confusion.

BTW-The hydro line is not touching the fork(just looks like it, it's suspended in air)

http://imageshack.us/a/img832/4272/img0899om.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img801/3173/img0900ja.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img688/7636/img0901vy.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img233/3374/img0902ix.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img12/9571/img0903yl.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img268/1030/img0904m.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img850/2785/img0905jwy.jpg
    http://imageshack.us/a/img22/5590/img0898di.jpg
    Last edited by Greenkeep; 01-16-2013 at 06:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Greenkeep,lovin your Goblin! Seems like an AWESOME deal. I have a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 but really want a hard tail again. I have my eye on this one but no funds currently. I figure if I pester the wife long enough she'll give in Enjoy the ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hey guys,
    So I just bought a new 20" black goblin and I'm loving it so far. So much nicer than my hardrock sport disc 29er! Anyways, I feel like the frame is a bit too large for me. The standover height is fine, I have about an inch of clearance to my crotch, but I feel like my arms a little far away and stretched out. I moved the seat all the way forward (while still angling flat), but its not enough.

I was thinking about buying a new stem. It came with a 105mm stem, I was thinking of an 80 or 90 mm. What do you guys think? I'm 6' and 180-185 lbs.

This ok: Easton EA50 Stem 2011 at Price Point ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stuppie View Post
    Hey guys,
    So I just bought a new 20" black goblin and I'm loving it so far. So much nicer than my hardrock sport disc 29er! Anyways, I feel like the frame is a bit too large for me. The standover height is fine, I have about an inch of clearance to my crotch, but I feel like my arms a little far away and stretched out. I moved the seat all the way forward (while still angling flat), but its not enough.

I was thinking about buying a new stem. It came with a 105mm stem, I was thinking of an 80 or 90 mm. What do you guys think? I'm 6' and 180-185 lbs.

This ok: Easton EA50 Stem 2011 at Price Point ?
    That stem should work fine and at a pretty good price. If you want more bling after you are sure of the size you could always replace it. FWIW, I'm 5'10.11 and ride a 20" Goblin and just went to an 80mm stem. 20mm was noticable but not dramatic. I rode it with a 100mm stem for year but my back started bothering me on rides over 2 hrs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Do both of you wish you had gone with the 18" frame?

A while back I posted my measurements and I think Jeremy recommended the 18" (I'm 6' as well), I was thinking I would need the 20" as well but he had me second guessing. I'm still a couple months away from buying so I guess I'll have everything figured out by then.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by panicstop View Post
    Greenkeep,lovin your Goblin! Seems like an AWESOME deal. I have a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29 but really want a hard tail again. I have my eye on this one but no funds currently. I figure if I pester the wife long enough she'll give in Enjoy the ride
    Thanks, you will really enjoy the bike. It rides real nice, going out today after all the rain here in NY for a 13.5 mile trail ride.

Also on a side note: I re-did the tubeless conversion because i realized my tires were not seated evenly on the rim using Stan's strips.I just went with Gorilla tape and American Classic Stems. Beads popped in nice and rides much better. If you go with the strips you will have to build up the rim channel on the WTB i19 rim due to its depth. Might have to use foam weatherstripping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Is there a link I can read about this gorilla tape method? Or is it just replacing stans tape with gorilla tape?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Do both of you wish you had gone with the 18" frame?

A while back I posted my measurements and I think Jeremy recommended the 18" (I'm 6' as well), I was thinking I would need the 20" as well but he had me second guessing. I'm still a couple months away from buying so I guess I'll have everything figured out by then.
    I am glad I didn't go with an 18. I have had 18/18.5" bikes in the past and prefer a larger bike. However, it's not all about how tall you are. I'm ~5' 10" and my son is ~6' 2" but have the exact same leg length. This should push me even more to an 18" but I've never been able to get comfortable on that size. It's so subjective that I would go sit on a couple of comparable bikes of each size and see what feels best.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeKiller View Post
    I am glad I didn't go with an 18. I have had 18/18.5" bikes in the past and prefer a larger bike. However, it's not all about how tall you are. I'm ~5' 10" and my son is ~6' 2" but have the exact same leg length. This should push me even more to an 18" but I've never been able to get comfortable on that size. It's so subjective that I would go sit on a couple of comparable bikes of each size and see what feels best.
    My inseam is 34", using the multiply by .67 and subtract 4 formula this puts me at a 19" frame. My arms are a little longer than most people's so I went with the 20" frame instead of the 18". I've only ridden once, and I felt a little stretched out. I ordered an 80 mm stem today, so I'm hoping that solves the problem. I'll reserve final judgement until it gets here and I try it out, but I think I would've felt cramped on an 18" and I'd rather have a shorter stem than longer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Is there a link I can read about this gorilla tape method? Or is it just replacing stans tape with gorilla tape?
    gorilla tape tubless - Bing

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by stuppie View Post
    My inseam is 34", using the multiply by .67 and subtract 4 formula this puts me at a 19" frame. My arms are a little longer than most people's so I went with the 20" frame instead of the 18". I've only ridden once, and I felt a little stretched out. I ordered an 80 mm stem today, so I'm hoping that solves the problem. I'll reserve final judgement until it gets here and I try it out, but I think I would've felt cramped on an 18" and I'd rather have a shorter stem than longer.
    Lol. Now I'm rethinking what frame I will be getting. I was set on the 18 now im thinking 20. I'm 6' with a 34" inseam also.

Any ideas on comparable bikes that I could get on? There's a specialized dealer in town and I was thinking the carve comp would be a good one. Any others?

Airborne Product Dude
    Trevor, where are you located? Are you close to us?
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Jeremy, not close to you guys. I'm in Texas, just north of Austin.

TXTony
    Jeremy, not close to you guys. I'm in Texas, just north of Austin.
    Trevor if you ever head up to the Fort Worth area PM me...I have a 18 inch Goblin you can check out to see how the fit is...I am 5'11.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Trevor, if you make it down to SA I have a 20" you can take for a spin.

Never mind... It's a 22"

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    Trevor if you ever head up to the Fort Worth area PM me...I have a 18 inch Goblin you can check out to see how the fit is...I am 5'11.
    OK, thanks. What's your inseam? Normal length legs and arms for your height?

TXTony
    Never measured my arms...inseam is 34...I am one of those that can ride a med or large frame...I prefer med frame bikes vs large..I have 4 other mountain bikes and they are all med frame bikes...I usually run a 90mm stem except my all mountain rig where I am running a 70mm stem..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    What's your reasoning behind riding medium vs large frames? Able to maneuver better?

TXTony
    What's your reasoning behind riding medium vs large frames? Able to maneuver better?
    Yep...even though I could ride a large the med fits me better as far as 26ers go...the Goblin is my first 29er and I can tell from the fit of this bike that the next size up would have been to big...but when I got my Moto (26er six inch travel bike) I could have rode either but liked how I could toss around the medium one better...so it pretty much came down to personal preference as to what I like and how I am going to ride that particular bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Tony, do you do any long riding on rocky/technical terrain? The trail closest to my house is a 26 mile loop that's fairly rocky and technical. I just want to make sure I'm comfortable and don't get lower back pain if I were to do the whole loop. I also go to a trail that is pretty much fast and flowy single track though so the right size bike would be ideal for handling that diversity if possible.

TXTony
    Tony, do you do any long riding on rocky/technical terrain? The trail closest to my house is a 26 mile loop that's fairly rocky and technical. I just want to make sure I'm comfortable and don't get lower back pain if I were to do the whole loop. I also go to a trail that is pretty much fast and flowy single track though so the right size bike would be ideal for handling that diversity if possible.

Yep we ride a variety of trails up here...and some long rides on the bike...it really shines on flowy hard pack type trails...have done a few rides on it that are near 30 miles...I will say as far as techy stuff any hard tail 26 or 29er is gonna be a little rougher than a full susp. rig...I have a buddy up here who rides a 18 Goblin as well and he has no issues either on the rocky stuff...but to be honest when the trails get rough I grab my FS rig..my buddy is 5 feet 11 also and rides a 18 inch as well..I also prefer the handling of a med frame vs a large frame for a person my height...but that is strictly personal preference...I know guys shorter than me who prefer large frames and ride them great...I think find a few 29er HTs and just sit on them and see how they feel..the geo may not be exact but it will give you an idea at least...I will say the Goblin has been one of the best bike purchases I have made in a while and as soon as I see the new Taka or replacement for it I may scoop one of those up...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just ordered a set of these: Wellgo MG 1 Magnesium Pedals MTB DH BMX Flat Cage Green | eBay I know it's a popular pedal but I haven't seen them in green before. The green looks like a perfect match for the green on my black Goblin. Anyone else using them?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Just ordered a set of these: Wellgo MG 1 Magnesium Pedals MTB DH BMX Flat Cage Green | eBay I know it's a popular pedal but I haven't seen them in green before. The green looks like a perfect match for the green on my black Goblin. Anyone else using them?
    I used to have a set of white ones that I loved but I loaned them to a friend for a DH run last year and he smacked a rock with one....and it basically exploded into several pieces.

I realize that they aren't intended for DH so take that for what its worth. Probably for normal XC riding they are prefectly fine. They are nice and light and the pins offer a lot of grip.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I used to have a set of white ones that I loved but I loaned them to a friend for a DH run last year and he smacked a rock with one....and it basically exploded into several pieces.

I realize that they aren't intended for DH so take that for what its worth. Probably for normal XC riding they are prefectly fine. They are nice and light and the pins offer a lot of grip.

Jeremy
    Yeah, I had heard that about them. Getting a titanium spindle makes them even more delicate. But they are pretty cheap to replace compared to some of the other options out there. Plus, if I'm doing some DH, I'll just bolt on some of my other pedals. I really just wanted a fairly light pedal for XC that was pinned and came in the right color. This seems to fit the bill. We'll see...

What pedals do you run now BDF?
    Last edited by MikeinMinn; 01-23-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast