Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Can you resend? I don't see it, maybe it went into my spam-filter.........
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Re: New Airborne Goblin

I'm curious about peoples experience with tubless set ups on the stock WTB rims as well. Any one use just Gorilla tape, and if so, one or two wraps of tape? Any burps?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

There was a guy on here that said he had no issues setting up the stock wheel set and tires tubeless. I can't remember what he used. It was a post within the airborne forum, but can't remember what thread.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Here's the guy.

http://forums.mtbr.com/airborne/post-your-modified-airborne-bikes-811688-post9777422.html

Hopefully that url works. I'm posting on my phone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Here's the guy.

Post Your Modified Airborne Bikes - Page 4

Hopefully that url works. I'm posting on my phone.
    appreciate it Trevor
    2012 Pivot Mach 429
    2010 Cervelo R3 SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    OK guys, about 6 folks have asked me today so I'm going to turn on the 16 and 18 inch Goblins for pre-order. They should be able to be ordered in the next hour or so. This is probably a good idea as I am fearful that these might sell out fast again even though we are making double the amount we made before, and I don't want to see you guys that have been waiting miss out.

A couple of things:

We can't control all of the factors involved here like mother nature (affects how long it takes the ship to get to port), dock workers (pray for no strike), and customs (sometimes is quick and sometimes is slow). Our best-guess is the first week of April for arrival, and shipping shortly after that to customers. I'm pinning that as worst-case; hopefully they will be in sooner.

Please be understanding with us if you place an order for one to get in line and it takes a few days longer than expected. We are going to do everything we can to get you your bike as quick as possible!

It is a good feeling to be at the point where sales are so good we are blowing thru stock quicker than expected: we never thought we would be at this point 2 years ago.

Thanks so much to all!

Jeremy
    OK, as of yesterday we are also out of 20" Goblins. We got orders for the last couple that we had in stock. I've went ahead and allowed out of stock orders for that size also so that they can be pre-ordered. All we have left at the moment are 22's.

Based on the number of folks in the last few days who pre-ordered their 16's and 18's, I am greatly concerned that we aren't producing enough Goblins to avoid running out again really soon after they arrive.

We forecasted this order back in October (it takes that long to get parts) and thought we were ordering plenty enough to last us thru the whole upcoming summer (we ordered a lot at that time, with the fear that it was way too many). Little did we know the rate of sale is now exponential compared to our best-guess....

At the current rate of sale, plus all of the pre-orders.......there is a good chance that we will run out of Goblins again sometime mid-to-late spring.

I'm working on another (even larger) order right now but the soonest we will have it at this point is mid-summer based on parts lead times.

So my point is, and not to sound like a typical salesperson (because I'm not a sales guy ), if you are thinking about one, get in line now.

Not complaining, as most companies wish they had this problem. I just feel bad when I have to tell folks that we are out of something!

Thanks again for all of the support!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    The problem you have is that this bike is AWESOME - lol.

Glad I bought mine when I did.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hmm..(lightbulb)

For Sale:
    New Airborne Black Goblin 18" (this one came with the 2012 Reba Dual air fork, these are no longer being made folks.)
    This bike is still not even broken in yet. Less than 20 miles on it. Showroom condition, still smells new.
    Only $1599. Sure you could buy it cheaper from the factory, but you would have to wait.. who knows how long. This bike is the real deal, don't stand in line and suffer the agony of waiting...get this one today. Hurry, with the demand for these bikes skyrocketing, don't miss out this one wont last!....

Hello Airborne, I would like to order a new HobGobln XO. I have $1600 to put down and I would like to use paypal for the rest....

mtbr member
    Jeremy, any change on when you expect those that were preordered to arrive? Been sitting next to my mailbox since this last Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Nope, no changes. They are being made over the course of the next couple of days and then they will be on the water.

Thankfully this time of year there aren't too many typhoons in the Pacific so that shouldn't delay things. The only wildcards in the mix are dock workers and customers workers. Provided those two groups do their jobs in a timely manner we will have the bikes *slightly* earlier than expected...

Jeremy

mtbr member
    err.......I mean "customs" workers.............

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been thinking about getting a new bike for the spring and passing my Felt Nine 80 on to my wife. I an VERY tempted to pull the trigger on a Goblin today. Is there an updated time frame on when the 18" frames might start shipping?

Sorry, didn't see the reply two posts up.

mtbr member
    Hey jd,

No worries. Yep that's our best-guess and should be pretty spot on barring any sort of delay by union dockworkers or customs folks.

Let me know if you need any additional info from us, thanks!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey jd,

No worries. Yep that's our best-guess and should be pretty spot on barring any sort of delay by union dockworkers or customs folks.

Let me know if you need any additional info from us, thanks!

Jeremy
    Thanks. I just sent in the order. I'm hoping a 18" is the right size.

mtbr member
    Thanks, just saw it come thru!

Is that the size you are riding now on the Felt Nine80? If so the ETT on the 18" Felt is within 2mm of the 18" Goblin ETT so you should be good.

If you are in doubt, shoot us an email with your measurements and we can verify them for you.

Thanks again!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks, just saw it come thru!

Is that the size you are riding now on the Felt Nine80? If so the ETT on the 18" Felt is within 2mm of the 18" Goblin ETT so you should be good.

If you are in doubt, shoot us an email with your measurements and we can verify them for you.

Thanks again!

Jeremy
    My Felt is a 16" I went back and forth between it and the 18" and ended up getting the 16" due to more stand over clearance since it was my first bike. After spending some time on trails, I sometimes thought it was a little cramped. I'm about 5'-10"

mtbr member
    At 5'10", provided that you have average proportions the 16" is definitely too small for you. I would put you squarely on an 18" unless you have something going on like an unusually short inseam for your height or some other restrictive issue.

I just shot you an email. Feel free to hit me up if you have any questions, I'd be happy to talk.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    OK, as of yesterday we are also out of 20" Goblins.

I'm working on another (even larger) order right now but the soonest we will have it at this point is mid-summer based on parts lead times.

Jeremy
    Bummer. Was hoping to snag a 20" frame. How confident are you on the mid-summer timeframe?

mtbr member
    This first order that has the 16's and 18's on it also has 20's so if you want one you can order one and it will be here with them in early April.

Once that batch runs out, the next run will come in mid-summer. We don't have a date for that batch yet as we are working on the fulfillment order right now.

Hope that makes sense!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

According to the FedEx tracking site, I missed the delivery . I thought that if the package required a signature they would deliver after close of business (for a home delivery), I guess not. I guess if it doesn't make sense logistically it doesn't matter either way. I might just have them hold the bike at a FedEx store if possible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    When that happens to me I usually go there and pick it up.

I've also had them change the address on it but tht may have been UPS.

I would give FedEx a call, they have always been helpful and worked thigs out with me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I scheduled a pick up today.

Random question for Jeremy (or anyone that knows). Where did you guys get/come up with the name goblin? From the creature or elsewhere? Just curious.

mtbr member
    Good question.............and I'm happy to share some inside info on that one.

For the most part our bike names are aviation-themed. This one is no different. It's named after the McDonnell Xf85 Goblin. The Xf85 was intended to be deployed from the bomb bay of the giant Convair B-36 bomber as a parasite fighter. The XF-85's intended role was to defend bombers from hostile interceptors, a need demonstrated during World War II. Its a fat, fast one-man aircraft, and we thought the name would fit perfectly for a 29er. There is an Xf85 at the National Air and Space Museum that is located just up the road from our offices.

The green color of the first-gen Goblins was a happy accident. We thought we were going to work green somehow into the graphics, since it fit so well with the word "Goblin". What cemented the green color of the bike was one day I was out on a road ride and I happened by a Chevrolet dealer in our area. They had one of the new Camaros in green sitting up on one of those elevated platforms. The green just blew me away at how it stood out and shined in the sun. I knew right then what color we were using.

Hope that helps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Airborne Goblin-mcdonnell-xf-85-goblin-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Thanks for sharing, Jeremy. I just read the wiki on it. That's a cool background story on how the name came to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Really enjoying the goblin!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Had mine out for a quick 1.5 mile trip to the park and back with my daughter for the first time this year. Nothing but paved trails, still don't have a rack for the car yet to take it to the state parks nearby.

I may have to use the "old man with a bad back" card and invest in Thudbuster. I hit a smal curb and thought I had enough clearance over the seat, but it hit me and I felt a sharp jolt in my lower spine.

I'd rather invest in a nice mid rise wider carbon handlebar and post in the modified Airbourn bikes thread, but I think I would be better off in spending my $ in something that will protect my health. At least until I get enough seat time and strengthen my core so I will be less prone to injury.
    Last edited by OilburnerDe; 03-10-2013 at 07:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Anyone know what size quick release seat post clamp I would need? And any ideas on a good one that doesn't cost a lot? What makes one $9 and another $27 in other words?

mtbr member
    34.9/35.0

Both work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What makes one $9 and another $27 in other words?
    The more expensive ones tend to be all metal, they usually have a brass of aluminum pivot bushing. Cheaper ones have a plastic bushing that can break.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    All this hype on the goblin, maybe I missed it in the 12 pages of this thread, but How does it climb? Is there any frame flex under harsh pedaling?

TXTony
    Climbs great. No flex that I have experienced under any pedaling conditions.

mtbr member
    The frame is extremely rigid. Maybe too much. The only flex you will feel will come from your tires.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the quick responses. Just so nervouse to buy a bike without ever getting to ride one to see if it "fits me"

mtbr member
    How tall and how much do you weigh? I'm 5' 9" 160 lbs and ride a 18" and it is damn near perfect. Remember, you can change it up with handlebars, stems, and posts if you have to.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Iím 5'10" and 180lbs. Thatís the size I was looking at (when it comes in) I bought a hard rock for my first bike, and it turned out to be crap. From components to the frame flexing when I climbed hills, just crap. As I am new it will take some trial and error to get all the geometry right, and see what works regardless of what bike I go with. Thanks for the input.

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubulargoose View Post
    Iím 5'10" and 180lbs. Thatís the size I was looking at (when it comes in) I bought a hard rock for my first bike, and it turned out to be crap. From components to the frame flexing when I climbed hills, just crap. As I am new it will take some trial and error to get all the geometry right, and see what works regardless of what bike I go with. Thanks for the input.
    Med Frame(18). The bike likes to go fast. It is stable and rigid. With a few changes it starts to loose weight pretty quick. For the money it is a screaming deal. I would not worry to much about ordering it on line. A lot of us have and have been totally happy with our purchase. Great company and great customer service.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    ^thanks for all the help. I'm talked into the Goblin, and as a ripple effect my buddy looking for his first bike was going to get a Cannondale trail 6 but now is going to order the Gaurdian. Now we just have to get inline....

mtbr member

New Airborne Goblin

Same thing happened to me. Started researching and decided on a Goblin. Then my friend wanted to ride and he got a Guardian.

BTW I'm 6'2" 240 and ride a 20" Goblin. It feels very solid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Just placed my order this morning after a week of researching other bikes, craigslist, talking with friend mechanics. Was initially looking at the Guardian but fell in love with the spec : price and look of the Goblin. Can't wait to get back on the trails after a couple years w/o a mt bike. I'm 5'11" w/ a 34" inseam and ordered the 20".
    - chase

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Congrats Chase, welcome to the club!
    I will be taking mine for it's first trip away from home. Going to the Pocono mtns in PA. Not doing anything worth noting, but now that I have a rack for the car, I can start to venture out and give myself and the bike a proper break in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I rode my Felt with the XCT fork though some new to me trails this weekend. I had fun, but I'm hoping the Goblin's fork soaks up the roots much better than what I have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase View Post
    Just placed my order this morning after a week of researching other bikes, craigslist, talking with friend mechanics. Was initially looking at the Guardian but fell in love with the spec : price and look of the Goblin. Can't wait to get back on the trails after a couple years w/o a mt bike. I'm 5'11" w/ a 34" inseam and ordered the 20".
    - chase
    SWEET!! I'm the same height with the same inseam and ride a 20" Goblin. It fits great and I rode the stock stem (105mm) for a long time, but eventually found that an 80mm stem really helped on longer rides.

You'll love the bike!
    There's only one bigger sheep than manufacturer's - consumers! - AndrewTO

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone know what size quick release seat post clamp I would need? And any ideas on a good one that doesn't cost a lot? What makes one $9 and another $27 in other words?
    Just bought this clamp in green and matches the frame nicely, I'll post pics soon.

Azonic Q/R Seatpost Clamp | Azonic | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    I rode my Felt with the XCT fork though some new to me trails this weekend. I had fun, but I'm hoping the Goblin's fork soaks up the roots much better than what I have.
    The Reba fork that comes on the Goblin is one of the best forks for a XC 29er..you will see a huge difference

mtbr member
    I've read through the last couple of pages and I am a bit confused... are the 20" Goblins expected to arrive in the next few weeks or are those ones already sold out and now we have to wait until mid-summer? Can anyone shed some light?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I believe they haven't sold all of the goblins arriving on the first shipment. They just said they had to make another order due to the pre ordering of the current shipment being so high/unexpected.

I believe I read that with current demand, they were forecasted to run out of this shipment before summer, hence the "emergency order" of the second shipment.

You should be good to order one from this current shipment but you can always e-mail them to be certain.

mtbr member

New Airborne Goblin

Gotcha! Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Got my first flat today on the goblin and had the hardest time taking the the rear wheel off of all things (and putting it back on). I could not get the QR to slide out or back in the dropout. I've never had this issue on my old bike, which is why I was puzzled.

Same process I've used multiple times (shift to smallest cog to get derailleur farthest away from dropout, undo QR and loosen, then the wheel usually drops out). It was so weird. I'm not overlooking anything am I? (I feel dumb for asking but I've never had trouble changing the tube in the rear before today).
    Last edited by trevor_b; 04-05-2013 at 09:21 PM.

TXTony
    Got my first flat today on the goblin and had the hardest time taking the the rear wheel off of all things (and putting it back on). I could not get the QR to slide out or back in the dropout. I've never had this issue on my old bike, which is why I was puzzled.

Same process I've used multiple times (shift to smallest cog to get derailleur farthest away from dropout, undo QR and loosen, then the wheel usually drops out). It was so weird. I'm not overlooking anything am I? (I feel dumb for asking but I've never had trouble changing the tube in the rear before today).
    Paint build up on the rear drop outs. When they dip frames into paint to paint them they get buil up on the drop outs sone times. Had the same issue. Scrap the paint off inside the drop out. Solved the problem.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

That makes sense, I will try that out. Thanks.

Another issue, there's a clicking noise coming from the RD as I pedal. If I put my fingers on the upper pulley I can feel it really well as the chain runs through. I looked for a stiff link but can't find one. Any ideas?

I have a video of it, I will see if I can upload it.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast