Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by dlynes View Post
    Thanks so much,

knowing nothing about new bikes I am trying to compare what one offers that another doesn't (not even knowing what some of the items mean).

I recall reading some forks were said to be mechanical vs others being hydraulic.

then I assumed hydraulic must be better so maybe I should look for something that offers that...

Looking over my notes...I think the haro was the only bike I noticed that offered the hydraulic lock-out at my price point.
    Hey there, I think you are confusing brakes and forks.

Disc brakes tend to be either hydraulic or mechanical. Hydraulic disc brakes have many advantages over mechanical disc brakes; the main ones being better modulation, more consistent braking because they don't need re-adusting as pads wear, and they are easy to set-up. For some folks they can be intimidating because of having fluid instead of a cable, but modern hydro brakes are very trouble-free and hands-off.

Forks tend to be of three types: Elastomer, spring, or air (or sometimes a combination, like air and spring). They all tend to have their pluses and minuses, but for cross-country bikes, air forks (like the Reba on the Goblin) tend to be the best choice as they offer lots of tunability.

The forks on the Guardian, older green Goblin, and black Goblin all have lock-outs.

Thanks~!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Hey there, I think you are confusing brakes and forks.

Thanks~!

Jeremy
    thanks,

mtbr member
    What would be the recommended frame size for me,

5'10"
    31 inseam
    180 pounds
    Arm length 31"
    crotch to sternum 21"

Going to order the Guardian for the wife and the New Goblin for myself on Monday, Can't wait.

Thanks for the info
    Last edited by motoolfan; 12-02-2012 at 07:01 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking an 18 would be what I'd need

MTB Fanatic
    Yeah you have almost the exact measurements as me and I ride an 18.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Does the new Goblin have the bend in the top tube? On the singletracks review of the bike it shows a bend in the top tube, but on the airborne site it doesn't?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Does the new Goblin have the bend in the top tube? On the singletracks review of the bike it shows a bend in the top tube, but on the airborne site it doesn't?
    Just the small size frame has the bend in the top tube!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just got my new Goblin delivered today! Still in the box, hope to get it assembled tomorrow. Looks like the rear wheel and derailleur is already attached. I believe that is a change from previous packaging?

Regards,

TXTony
    Pulled the trigger on a Goblin..should be here sometime this week..already havet some Black Flag wheels on stand by to go on it..a carbon handle bar and seat post and stem...gonna throw some ODI lock on grips on it..not sure about the tires as I have never used the ones that come on it...kinda like the Kenda SB 8s so debating about that one..

TXTony

New Goblin Arrived

Came home from work today and my new Goblin was waiting to be put together..like others have said this thing is packed excellent...took me longer to unpack and unwrap everything than it did to put it together..about 22 minutes to assemble once I got everything unwrapped..

As ii sits right now it shifts pretty good...maybe a little tweaking needs to be done but I could go out and ride it..disc rotor on the front rubs a bit..no biggie..I just put the front wheel on and really did not take the time to make sure I had everything centered up...

The thing looks solid...pictures really do not do it justice..looks tight in person..will throw the new wheels on it this weekend and some other goodies and take her for ride..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    Came home from work today and my new Goblin was waiting to be put together..like others have said this thing is packed excellent...took me longer to unpack and unwrap everything than it did to put it together..about 22 minutes to assemble once I got everything unwrapped..

As ii sits right now it shifts pretty good...maybe a little tweaking needs to be done but I could go out and ride it..disc rotor on the front rubs a bit..no biggie..I just put the front wheel on and really did not take the time to make sure I had everything centered up...

The thing looks solid...pictures really do not do it justice..looks tight in person..will throw the new wheels on it this weekend and some other goodies and take her for ride..
    Looks great!! Willing to post a photo (and weight) when you get the new carbon and BF wheels on??

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Looks great!! Willing to post a photo (and weight) when you get the new carbon and BF wheels on??

Will do...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Pulled the trigger on a 22" Black Goblin this morning You guys at Airborne just had to dangle the green Goblin in my size out there at such a good price but in the end i felt the improvements on the black where worth the extra $$$ for my size and style of riding. Now the hard part begins waiting for the big brown truck without going

Cliff

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Well after braking my Sette and reviving the old Caloi and riding her till she was about to snap. I finally was able to get a new bike. Santa's Elf with a brown fetish dropped her off Friday and I put her together Friday night. only have a quick ride in on the ice of my street so far but hope to see some frozen trail latter today. Have already started tinkering with the build slightly replaced the bars and seat post with much lighter ones put on some Ergon GP1 grips and set up the wheels Gorilla tubeless. I'm sure some more bits and pieces will find themselves lightened up as time and $$$ find themselves available but these parts were in the parts bin so only smart to use them. Vary impressed with the frame and components were impressive for the $$$ I had full X7 on my last bike but the newer version has defiantly seen some trickle down. The wheel set was my bigest wory in buying the bike and i was alredy reserching what rims and hubs I was going to replace them with but after seeing in person they are much better and lighter than I could have hoped so they will be staying for a while. I am also pretty happy with overall weight about a 27lb 22" framed 29r bike. Especially when the Caloi 21" framed 26r was 32lbs. as measured on my digital bathroom scale. with Shimano SLX trail peddles. As for assembly Very easy and most riders could complete in under an hour. My self being a old bike shop mechanic went a little further and striped the frame and did a full build up ensuring that everything was lubed and torqued the way i liked it yes I'm a little OCD on by bike stuff.

See ya on the trail

mtbr member
    Looks great TMJ! Thanks for the info, I'm just waiting till after the holidays to ordered a couple of them. Good to see someone fairly close to me on here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My first ride today in years with my new beast the Goblin. You know you have something good if you don't have to think about what is under you and you can just pay attention to the trail. Love this thing

TXTony
    Was out on the trail today and saw one of the older Goblins...man that green pops on those..hope Airborne uses more of that green in some of there other bikes..

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Just assembled my new 20" Goblin today..."Merry Christmas to me". Bad weather today, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to take her for a spin. Anyone else get any shiny new Airbornes for Christmas?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Brnd72 View Post
    Just assembled my new 20" Goblin today..."Merry Christmas to me". Bad weather today, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow to take her for a spin. Anyone else get any shiny new Airbornes for Christmas?
    How tall are you, what's your inseam etc? Tryin to figure out if I need the 18 or 20. Did you go sit on any bikes at a retailer that has similar geometry?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    Was out on the trail today and saw one of the older Goblins...man that green pops on those..hope Airborne uses more of that green in some of there other bikes..
    I saw that same bike, man was that guy good looking or what? Next time we ride, I'm sure you'll be on the new one.

-Mike

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by FullsizeMike View Post
    I saw that same bike, man was that guy good looking or what? Next time we ride, I'm sure you'll be on the new one.

-Mike
    What are the odds...yeah next time I will rock the Goblin

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    How tall are you, what's your inseam etc? Tryin to figure out if I need the 18 or 20. Did you go sit on any bikes at a retailer that has similar geometry?

I have a 35" inseam barefooted, I'm 6'2" and I've got about 2 inches clearance over top tube.
    I test rode a 2011 Trek Cobra, but it was way too small for me (17.5 frame)...I could ride it with the seat waaaay up. looked kinda funny.
    I didn't like the geometry of the 19" Trek Marlin, very sluggish turning radius.
    I looked at Specialized, Giant & Trek...all had crappy component setups...felt like I was just paying top dollar for the brand name only. I've been totally impressed thus far with the New Goblin...gonna take it to the trails tomorrow...see what she can do. I'm really want to check these tires out.
    "What do you ride?"
    I ride a Goblin....it's ok though, I'm a wizard!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Brnd72 View Post
    I have a 35" inseam barefooted, I'm 6'2" and I've got about 2 inches clearance over top tube.
    I test rode a 2011 Trek Cobra, but it was way too small for me (17.5 frame)...I could ride it with the seat waaaay up. looked kinda funny.
    I didn't like the geometry of the 19" Trek Marlin, very sluggish turning radius.
    I looked at Specialized, Giant & Trek...all had crappy component setups...felt like I was just paying top dollar for the brand name only. I've been totally impressed thus far with the New Goblin...gonna take it to the trails tomorrow...see what she can do. I'm really want to check these tires out.
    Thanks, I'm 6' with a 32" inseam so I'm thinking the 18" will be good for me. I agree with paying for the big brand names. This new goblin seems to be the best bang for the buck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well I've had a couple of good rides thus far & love my new Goblin!
    I really love the 2x10 drivetrain...much more efficient than my previous 3x9.
    The geometry works great for a 20 inch frame, only slightly less nimble than my 19" 26er...still able to throw down in the twisty sections.
    I had my initial doubts about the tires, seeing the similarities to the SB8s I didn't think they would stick for the type trail surfaces here in south Alabama. (loose sand mixed with hardpack & lots of wet roots thrown in)
    The AKAs handled beautifully, like riding on rails with a touch of slack without losing control...never slid out front or rear. Great choice Airborne!
    I haven't been able to dial in the fork yet, got to buy a pump. The preset pressure is rideable but still a bit too stiff.
    I immediately changed a few parts on day one : stem, bars & grips...for weight and comfort I used my shorter stem and carbon riser bars. I also got a set of ergon grips for comfort.
    So far I'm loving the new Goblin....I'll post any new findings as I get everything dialed in.
    Let me know if anyone has any specific questions...for those of you still thinking of pulling the trigger.
    Brandon
    "What do you ride?"
    I ride a Goblin....it's ok though, I'm a wizard!

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast