Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 614
  1. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    If it were me, I'd take the reflectors off.

    Just sayin....
    I figure they'll break themselves off soon enough.

  2. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jcd46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Medel View Post
    I figure they'll break themselves off soon enough.
    Hopefully not on the trail but if it happens there, please pick up the pieces and take them with you
    2013 Cannondale Trail SL 3

    "You will never ride alone"

  3. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Hopefully not on the trail but if it happens there, please pick up the pieces and take them with you
    If I had to guess, it'd be moving the bike in the back of a wagon. If the handlebar reflector gets ripped off while I'm riding, chances are I'll be picking up pieces of more than just a reflector

  4. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    206
    I know that bike companies have to install them for safety reasons. But reflectors have no place on a nice MTB like the Goblin.

    Maybe, on kids bikes or entry level MTBs or commuter bikes.

    But not on a 2x10 MTB with a tapered head tube and hydraulic brakes.

    The views expressed here are not necessarily those of Airborne Bicycles.

  5. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Sleevem1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    243
    I thought it would be in my best interest to pull mine off last night before I get shunned from the MTB village of morals and ethics.

  6. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    I know that bike companies have to install them for safety reasons. But reflectors have no place on a nice MTB like the Goblin.

    Maybe, on kids bikes or entry level MTBs or commuter bikes.

    But not on a 2x10 MTB with a tapered head tube and hydraulic brakes.

    The views expressed here are not necessarily those of Airborne Bicycles.
    AGREE 100000000% WITH YOU !!!!! MAKES THE BIKE LOOK UGLY ugly orange :d

  7. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ElDuderino2412's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    121
    I think i've decided on getting the new goblin or a talon 29er 0. Specs seem on goblin are so much better though. Not sure about the talon frame vs goblin frame.

  8. #83
    Airborne Product Dude
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDuderino2412 View Post
    I think i've decided on getting the new goblin or a talon 29er 0. Specs seem on goblin are so much better though. Not sure about the talon frame vs goblin frame.
    The Talon 29er 0 really compares closer to the Guardian in terms of specs and frame (but not price~).

    The Talon frame is similar to the Guardian frame reagarding materials, hydroformed tubing, and non-tapered HT.

    Hope that helps a bit~

    Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

  9. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7
    Any chance Airborne decides to use the quicksilver frame color? I think that would look awesome! Thinking about getting one for myself as my own Christmas gift keke..

  10. #85
    Airborne Product Dude
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,743
    Quick Silver is frame color only, we aren't going to do completes in different colors.
    Airborne Dude.

  11. #86
    Airborne Product Dude
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    This first batch of new black Goblins were made with the Dual Air, the last of RockShox 2012 stock. We did this on purpose because we felt the Dual Air feature was better than the coming Single Air.

    That means that after we sell out of this first batch and make another batch, those will be SIngle Air.

    Hope that makes sense,

    Jeremy
    I wanted to circle back to this.

    Last week we placed parts orders for the next batch of Goblins to be made in February. I can confirm that the new Goblins that will be made then will have the Reba RL Solo Air as RS is out of the Dual Air now.

    Due to the higher-than-forecasted sales, it looks like we will run out of this first batch of Goblins before the new batch is made. If you are interested in getting one before this change, I'd order one in the next month or so. After that we may go dark (run out) on a few of the sizes until the new ones come in.

    I guess its good for us we are selling more than anticipated, especially considering this is 4th quarter and bike sales in general for most companies are usually slow..........

    Thanks,

    Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

  12. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Last week we placed parts orders for the next batch of Goblins to be made in February. I can confirm that the new Goblins that will be made then will have the Reba RL Solo Air as RS is out of the Dual Air now.
    I'm curious, what is the rationale for sticking with RockShox and using solo air for the new batch? Why not switch to a different manufacturer and get a dual air from them? Are you contractually bound to RS for this model? Are you trying to keep the batches consistent in manufacture? New parts would change the price and you don't want to do that?

    As I said, just curious. I got my dual air black Goblin last week, so I'm good to go.
    I intend to live forever or die in the attempt.

  13. #88
    Airborne Product Dude
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcherdarkly View Post
    I'm curious, what is the rationale for sticking with RockShox and using solo air for the new batch? Why not switch to a different manufacturer and get a dual air from them? Are you contractually bound to RS for this model? Are you trying to keep the batches consistent in manufacture? New parts would change the price and you don't want to do that?

    As I said, just curious. I got my dual air black Goblin last week, so I'm good to go.
    Honestly, some folks make a bigger deal of solo air versus dual air than it really should be. I've been riding a solo air Reba on my HobGoblin proto for 6 months and its been a great fork. Is dual air better? To me, it's a little smoother/plush, but the amount is probably not even noticable to 95% of the riders out there. But since I could still get some of the dual air's for these first two runs, I did.

    I can spec whatever I like, but I''m sticking with RockShox; not interested in changing or chasing after a different manufacturer. They make a great product and stand behind it with even more awesome customer service.

    Thanks.
    Airborne Dude.

  14. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    187
    I've had one local bike shop actually explaining to me how the SoloAir is better than the dual air. He was quite knowledgable of how the shocks were built, so I don't feel it was strictly a sales tactic. I can't remember all of the details of what he liked better, but the one I remember the most was that the SoloAir would be much easier for a novice to set up correctly. I'm inclined to think that for a perfectionist the dual air will be better. But for the guy who just wants to put some air in his shock and get going the solo air might actually be better.

    Now on to the Goblin. I've posted this elsewhere as well but thought it belonged here. I saw my friends Goblin last weekend and was very impressed. I loved the low bar on the 16" Goblin. It felt very out of the way. It really gave the bike a quick and nimble feel to it. All the components were also very top notch. There was a small part of me that was scared I would not like my Niner as much as I liked his Goblin. I think Airborne did a great job on the specs and all the components. Everytime I looked into the quality of components used for something I was always blown away at how Airborne has not cut any corners but always used the best for the price. I think Airborne sells themselves short by not listing on their website that the hubs are a cartridge bearing or that the wheels are the WTB Speed Disc i19s. I think more specifics on the website might be helpful. I know I was impressed with every detail of the bike. I honestly don't know how Airborne does it. And quite frankly I'll be surprised if they can continue to put such nice component sets together at such a great price. I'm half tempted to get a Goblin for my wife simply because I don't think these kind of deals can last forever. I sure hope that Airborne can continue to keep cost down and offer such nice component groups in the future. From the short ride I had on my friends Goblin, I'd say if your on the fence about buying one go for it. The components are top notch all the way through. And to top it off if you have any questions everyone I have ever communicated with at Airborne was friendly and helpful. Even though I purchased a used Niner instead of a Goblin, I would not hesitate to purchase a Goblin in the future.

  15. #90
    Airborne Product Dude
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,743
    Thanks so much for the kind words!

    It's no secret how we do it: we care a lot about what we put out there, and also work on low margins with no built-in IBD overhead costs.

    That's why when people call us up and ask for a discount or free shipping, there isn't room in there for us to knock $$ off and still keep our doors open. I guess we could artifficially inflate the pricing so that there is room for that, but it just doesn't seem right to do that.

    Hope you guys don't get too much snow this winter so you can get plenty of shake-down time on your new Niner!

    Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

  16. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    187
    Wouldn't you know that 2 days after I got my bike, we got about 1-2 inches of snow. It might be awhile until my buddy and I can shake down the Goblin and Niner. I just hope it melts this week so we can give them a run. If not, the snow will likely be here to stay until spring. Which in ND can be anywhere from April to end of May. Depending on the years snowfall. Its going to be a looong winter if I don't get a chance to really take it out at least once.

  17. #92
    Airborne Product Dude
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,743
    Sounds like a good excuse to add a fat-bike to your stable of bikes!
    Airborne Dude.

  18. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,318
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Honestly, some folks make a bigger deal of solo air versus dual air than it really should be. I've been riding a solo air Reba on my HobGoblin proto for 6 months and its been a great fork. Is dual air better? To me, it's a little smoother/plush, but the amount is probably not even noticable to 95% of the riders out there. But since I could still get some of the dual air's for these first two runs, I did.
    .
    "not even noticeable to 95% of the riders out there."

    This is a simplification-
    Even if it were true it is a snapshot at most in the ownership history of a rider. People may start with this bike at a skill level where they may not notice many things.
    They ride.
    They love it.
    They improve. They begin to strive to improve more. They make changes. They adjust and may have to spend more money on different parts like tires and wheels. This is the reality of the majority of riders.
    Not just 5%.
    And that is why the dual air Reba is a component more than 5% would notice over their history with this bike. For the people who come on this forum it is more likely the reverse is true-- 95% of them would notice the difference. It makes this bike a performance standout in its price range. It is a good reason for its stronger than normal off season sales.
    So the solo air Reba may be an adequate fork, but it is a component downgrade for riders who look to purchase a bike they can learn and improve on over a couple years;
    " We did this on purpose because we felt the Dual Air feature was better than the coming Single Air. "

    "I can spec whatever I like, but I''m sticking with RockShox; not interested in changing or chasing after a different manufacturer. "

    RockShox made the change that you agree is to produce a product worse than the dual air Reba. You can't buy whatever you like because they don't have any more dual air forks. If you could get them you would.
    Maybe you could spec something that you and your customers would like but it looks like you would have to chase after a new source. Put in a range of testing and development to get something to improve the bike. Other manufacturing considerations like availability within a time frame and cost versus volume purchasing and customer service and warranty come into play.
    But that's what makes your job fun and how you do it is reflected in market response to what you produce. So we;ll see.
    As in the past Manitou is a realistic option and an actual improvement even the 5% would applaud. Maybe it can show up on an XO or carbon model. Putting it on the standard Goblin, though, would develop brand ties in riders as they develop and those are the strongest.

  19. #94
    Airborne Flight Crew
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,997

    *removed

    ...
    Last edited by jhazard; 11-25-2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Tourettes
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard website

  20. #95
    Airborne Product Dude
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,743
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    "not even noticeable to 95% of the riders out there."

    This is a simplification-
    Even if it were true it is a snapshot at most in the ownership history of a rider. People may start with this bike at a skill level where they may not notice many things.
    They ride.
    They love it.
    They improve. They begin to strive to improve more. They make changes. They adjust and may have to spend more money on different parts like tires and wheels. This is the reality of the majority of riders.
    Not just 5%.
    And that is why the dual air Reba is a component more than 5% would notice over their history with this bike. For the people who come on this forum it is more likely the reverse is true-- 95% of them would notice the difference. It makes this bike a performance standout in its price range. It is a good reason for its stronger than normal off season sales.
    So the solo air Reba may be an adequate fork, but it is a component downgrade for riders who look to purchase a bike they can learn and improve on over a couple years;
    " We did this on purpose because we felt the Dual Air feature was better than the coming Single Air. "

    "I can spec whatever I like, but I''m sticking with RockShox; not interested in changing or chasing after a different manufacturer. "

    RockShox made the change that you agree is to produce a product worse than the dual air Reba. You can't buy whatever you like because they don't have any more dual air forks. If you could get them you would.
    Maybe you could spec something that you and your customers would like but it looks like you would have to chase after a new source. Put in a range of testing and development to get something to improve the bike. Other manufacturing considerations like availability within a time frame and cost versus volume purchasing and customer service and warranty come into play.
    But that's what makes your job fun and how you do it is reflected in market response to what you produce. So we;ll see.
    As in the past Manitou is a realistic option and an actual improvement even the 5% would applaud. Maybe it can show up on an XO or carbon model. Putting it on the standard Goblin, though, would develop brand ties in riders as they develop and those are the strongest.
    Of course given the choice of whether to buy up the last of the dual air Reba's or use the new solo air ones, I made the decision to buy the dual air. Why wouldn't I?

    I happen to like the new Solo Air set up. I've been riding it for awhile now and compared to the other bike I have with the Dual Air Reba on it, the difference is almost imperceptable. I notice it because I am a total tech geek and a product manager. It's what I get paid to do. I'm also the same person who can notice 1-2 psi difference in my car tire pressure when the average person cannot.

    The slight difference is, in my opinion, worth it to move to the solo air chamber. It's certainly easier to set up, and has less that can go wrong with it over time.

    I would argue your point that the majority of users here on the forum can tell the difference.

    This is where we will have to agree to disagree. Thanks.
    Airborne Dude.

  21. #96
    Airborne Product Dude
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,743
    New review of the Goblin is up on singletracks.com.

    On Test: Airborne Goblin 29er v2.0 | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog
    Airborne Dude.

  22. #97
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo1 View Post
    Wouldn't you know that 2 days after I got my bike, we got about 1-2 inches of snow. It might be awhile until my buddy and I can shake down the Goblin and Niner. I just hope it melts this week so we can give them a run. If not, the snow will likely be here to stay until spring. Which in ND can be anywhere from April to end of May. Depending on the years snowfall. Its going to be a looong winter if I don't get a chance to really take it out at least once.
    Why can't you ride it in the snow? I ride in the snow all the time. It's fun!
    Nathan

  23. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    40

    New question here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Why can't you ride it in the snow? I ride in the snow all the time. It's fun!
    I have not rode a bike in over 12 years but have been reading up and comparing bikes.

    for a beginner seeking to ride trail:

    how would you compare the guardian, goblin, and new goblin to similar bikes in the $600 to $1,000 price points?

    Do any of the 3 said Airbornes offer hydraulic lock-out forks?

    Having no experience working on bikes, how easy is it to assembly/prep bike out of the box?

    I am 6'1 and 190lbs.

    Should a beginner be worried about the 80mm travel vs 100mm travel?

    Thanks,

  24. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    Why can't you ride it in the snow? I ride in the snow all the time. It's fun!
    1) Trails will likley be closed if there is snow. Although its looking good for this weekend.

    2) I was referring to the snow getting deeper soon as well.

    3) Hey its a new bike, I need to baby it a little bit the first few months.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Quote Originally Posted by dlynes View Post
    I have not rode a bike in over 12 years but have been reading up and comparing bikes.

    for a beginner seeking to ride trail:

    how would you compare the guardian, goblin, and new goblin to similar bikes in the $600 to $1,000 price points?
    From what I saw in the specs and looking at my buddies new Goblin. Nothing in a store compares to the goblin at $1000. The Goblin compares better to $1800 bikes when you break it down to all its individual components.

    Quote Originally Posted by dlynes View Post
    Do any of the 3 said Airbornes offer hydraulic lock-out forks?
    I'm not sure what you mean by hydraulic fork. As far as I know, all forks have oil. So you basically have either a spring fork or an air fork. The better of which is an air fork. I know the Goblin has a very good lock out air fork. I think the Reba is one of the best forks available from my research. My personal experience however, is very limited. But I liked everyone I test rode.


    Quote Originally Posted by dlynes View Post
    Having no experience working on bikes, how easy is it to assembly/prep bike out of the box?
    My buddy said it was easy. Pretty much just flip the stem the right way, put on the handlebars and attach the front tire.

    Quote Originally Posted by dlynes View Post

    I am 6'1 and 190lbs.

    Should a beginner be worried about the 80mm travel vs 100mm travel?

    Thanks,
    I know the new Goblin has a 100 travel. I believe the others do to. I can't tell you any more than that. I'm sure others will though.

  25. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo1 View Post
    1) Trails will likley be closed if there is snow. Although its looking good for this weekend.

    2) I was referring to the snow getting deeper soon as well.

    3) Hey its a new bike, I need to baby it a little bit the first few months.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------



    From what I saw in the specs and looking at my buddies new Goblin. Nothing in a store compares to the goblin at $1000. The Goblin compares better to $1800 bikes when you break it down to all its individual components.



    I'm not sure what you mean by hydraulic fork. As far as I know, all forks have oil. So you basically have either a spring fork or an air fork. The better of which is an air fork. I know the Goblin has a very good lock out air fork. I think the Reba is one of the best forks available from my research. My personal experience however, is very limited. But I liked everyone I test rode.




    My buddy said it was easy. Pretty much just flip the stem the right way, put on the handlebars and attach the front tire.



    I know the new Goblin has a 100 travel. I believe the others do to. I can't tell you any more than that. I'm sure others will though.
    Thanks so much,

    knowing nothing about new bikes I am trying to compare what one offers that another doesn't (not even knowing what some of the items mean).

    I recall reading some forks were said to be mechanical vs others being hydraulic.

    then I assumed hydraulic must be better so maybe I should look for something that offers that...

    Looking over my notes...I think the haro was the only bike I noticed that offered the hydraulic lock-out at my price point.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •