Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Airborne Goblin

90K views 617 replies 107 participants last post by  curley1441 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I'm a NOOB to say the least. Its been over 20yrs since I was biking on a regular basis and am very excited about getting back into it. I did some research and decided to purchase the new Airborne Goblin. They are due to ship in a few weeks so needles to say the wait is going to kill me. I am going to have lots of questions to ask and I have spent a lot of time on the forum. I live outside of Ottawa, Canada and plan on doing a lot of trail riding.

Steve

#72 ·
Too lazy to take good pics, but built, shifting smooth (minor FD/RD tweaks) and a quick 15 min or so in a parking lot since it was dark out. :D <3 my new Goblin! First bike I've had in a while that didn't feel super cramped (6'5", 190-200lb depending on day)

Here it is in front of my "SUV"

Still need to get a shock pump so it isn't all jelly on me. All grins over here, though

#79 ·
I know that bike companies have to install them for safety reasons. But reflectors have no place on a nice MTB like the Goblin.

Maybe, on kids bikes or entry level MTBs or commuter bikes.

But not on a 2x10 MTB with a tapered head tube and hydraulic brakes.:)

The views expressed here are not necessarily those of Airborne Bicycles.

#83 ·
The Talon 29er 0 really compares closer to the Guardian in terms of specs and frame (but not price~).

The Talon frame is similar to the Guardian frame reagarding materials, hydroformed tubing, and non-tapered HT.

Hope that helps a bit~

Jeremy

#89 ·
I've had one local bike shop actually explaining to me how the SoloAir is better than the dual air. He was quite knowledgable of how the shocks were built, so I don't feel it was strictly a sales tactic. I can't remember all of the details of what he liked better, but the one I remember the most was that the SoloAir would be much easier for a novice to set up correctly. I'm inclined to think that for a perfectionist the dual air will be better. But for the guy who just wants to put some air in his shock and get going the solo air might actually be better.

Now on to the Goblin. I've posted this elsewhere as well but thought it belonged here. I saw my friends Goblin last weekend and was very impressed. I loved the low bar on the 16" Goblin. It felt very out of the way. It really gave the bike a quick and nimble feel to it. All the components were also very top notch. There was a small part of me that was scared I would not like my Niner as much as I liked his Goblin. I think Airborne did a great job on the specs and all the components. Everytime I looked into the quality of components used for something I was always blown away at how Airborne has not cut any corners but always used the best for the price. I think Airborne sells themselves short by not listing on their website that the hubs are a cartridge bearing or that the wheels are the WTB Speed Disc i19s. I think more specifics on the website might be helpful. I know I was impressed with every detail of the bike. I honestly don't know how Airborne does it. And quite frankly I'll be surprised if they can continue to put such nice component sets together at such a great price. I'm half tempted to get a Goblin for my wife simply because I don't think these kind of deals can last forever. I sure hope that Airborne can continue to keep cost down and offer such nice component groups in the future. From the short ride I had on my friends Goblin, I'd say if your on the fence about buying one go for it. The components are top notch all the way through. And to top it off if you have any questions everyone I have ever communicated with at Airborne was friendly and helpful. Even though I purchased a used Niner instead of a Goblin, I would not hesitate to purchase a Goblin in the future.

#90 ·
Thanks so much for the kind words! :)

It's no secret how we do it: we care a lot about what we put out there, and also work on low margins with no built-in IBD overhead costs.

That's why when people call us up and ask for a discount or free shipping, there isn't room in there for us to knock $$ off and still keep our doors open. I guess we could artifficially inflate the pricing so that there is room for that, but it just doesn't seem right to do that.

Hope you guys don't get too much snow this winter so you can get plenty of shake-down time on your new Niner!

Jeremy

#91 ·
Wouldn't you know that 2 days after I got my bike, we got about 1-2 inches of snow. It might be awhile until my buddy and I can shake down the Goblin and Niner. I just hope it melts this week so we can give them a run. If not, the snow will likely be here to stay until spring. Which in ND can be anywhere from April to end of May. Depending on the years snowfall. Its going to be a looong winter if I don't get a chance to really take it out at least once.

G
#110 ·
Pulled the trigger on a Goblin..should be here sometime this week..already havet some Black Flag wheels on stand by to go on it..a carbon handle bar and seat post and stem...gonna throw some ODI lock on grips on it..not sure about the tires as I have never used the ones that come on it...kinda like the Kenda SB 8s so debating about that one..

G
#111 ·
New Goblin Arrived

Came home from work today and my new Goblin was waiting to be put together..like others have said this thing is packed excellent...took me longer to unpack and unwrap everything than it did to put it together..about 22 minutes to assemble once I got everything unwrapped..

As ii sits right now it shifts pretty good...maybe a little tweaking needs to be done but I could go out and ride it..disc rotor on the front rubs a bit..no biggie..I just put the front wheel on and really did not take the time to make sure I had everything centered up...

The thing looks solid...pictures really do not do it justice..looks tight in person..will throw the new wheels on it this weekend and some other goodies and take her for ride..

#112 ·
Came home from work today and my new Goblin was waiting to be put together..like others have said this thing is packed excellent...took me longer to unpack and unwrap everything than it did to put it together..about 22 minutes to assemble once I got everything unwrapped..

As ii sits right now it shifts pretty good...maybe a little tweaking needs to be done but I could go out and ride it..disc rotor on the front rubs a bit..no biggie..I just put the front wheel on and really did not take the time to make sure I had everything centered up...

The thing looks solid...pictures really do not do it justice..looks tight in person..will throw the new wheels on it this weekend and some other goodies and take her for ride..
Looks great!! Willing to post a photo (and weight) when you get the new carbon and BF wheels on??

#114 ·
Pulled the trigger on a 22" Black Goblin this morning:thumbsup: You guys at Airborne just had to dangle the green Goblin in my size out there at such a good price:eek:ut: but in the end i felt the improvements on the black where worth the extra $$$ for my size and style of riding. Now the hard part begins waiting for the big brown truck without going:crazy:

Cliff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.