Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Airborne Goblin

90K views 617 replies 107 participants last post by  curley1441 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I'm a NOOB to say the least. Its been over 20yrs since I was biking on a regular basis and am very excited about getting back into it. I did some research and decided to purchase the new Airborne Goblin. They are due to ship in a few weeks so needles to say the wait is going to kill me. I am going to have lots of questions to ask and I have spent a lot of time on the forum. I live outside of Ottawa, Canada and plan on doing a lot of trail riding.

Steve

#33 ·
Yeah, UPS has been inconsistent in careful handling of large product delivery here in the San Diego area. I think there are two factors here though. As manufactures seek lower delivery costs they appear to minimize product packing protection and put more reliance on transport services handling... then transport services reduce their handling costs in relying on customers to provide adequate packing protection. They both then accept what they believe are acceptable risk i.e. loss in both their business models.

You just hope they both match up well and you are not on the losing end of their acceptable risk ;-)

#40 ·
The Goblin packing appears to be a step up from my wifes Guardian that I put together last week. Everything came together quite nicely however, it appears the derailers need some adjustment ... not wanting to move to large front ring and skipping rings in the rear. So, I am a noob ... :eekster:

Anyone recommend any particular online guide or YouTube video?

Does the SRAM X7 2x10 setup have any particular detail I need to be aware of in adjustments?

Performance LBS just happens to have a "Derailer How To Clinic" tonight ... probably good for a noob like me, eh? :eek:

Thanks for any assist!:)

Attachments

#43 ·
The Goblin packing appears to be a step up from my wifes Guardian that I put together last week. Everything came together quite nicely however, it appears the derailers need some adjustment ... not wanting to move to large front ring and skipping rings in the rear. So, I am a noob ... :eekster:

Anyone recommend any particular online guide or YouTube video?

Does the SRAM X7 2x10 setup have any particular detail I need to be aware of in adjustments?

Performance LBS just happens to have a "Derailer How To Clinic" tonight ... probably good for a noob like me, eh? :eek:

Thanks for any assist!:)
Looks awesome man! i am jealous, is that the 16 inch?

#44 ·
You guys getting new Goblins should know that I am sitting here with a big smile on my face. I know how fun it is to order something, wait and wait, finally the UPS guy shows up with a box. It is great that you are sharing the joy.

Congratulations to all the new Goblin owners!!!!

Ride the hell out of 'em.

#45 ·
DANG YOU THAT BIKE BEFORE ME !:d CONGRATSZZ!!!!!
it's like i have the sickness where the kids are up & running the whole dang day & can't sit still i am in suriname can't wait to get mine !!!! october it will arrive so for now checking a few water bottle holder & spokes WHITE or GREEN still can't find some with a decent price & length

#48 ·
We are out of the 16" and 20" green Goblins, with only a few of the 18's and 22's left. Take that into consideration regarding your decision.

I personally think the improvements made to the black Goblin make it worth the difference in price but I may be a little biased!

#50 ·
Mine is out for delivery!
Not going into the office till later, supposed to get allot of rain today-night.
Hopefully it gets here before I have to leave. Sad part is, I will not be home until sometime on Sunday, and will probably be to wiped out to even think about putting it together.

Performance is having a 10% off everything including sale items today between 12 and 2, might stop by and pick up the Spindoctor stand, for when I get the chance to put it together and tune it.

Good luck with yours and to everyone getting them this week!

#51 ·
Checking the details listing for the new Goblin fork. It was listed as dual air. Today, I don't see dual air listed as a modifier for the Reba model used. The green Goblin Reba model is the dual air Reba with separately adjustable positive and negative air pressures for fine tuning the ride. That is the RS 2012 model. Does the new Goblin have dual air adjustability or is it a solo air fork. RS has changed to solo air for all 2013 models-- in my opinion a step backwards. By adding 5psi more pressure to the negative over the positive value small bump plushness was tuned in for a smoother ride.

#52 ·
Checking the details listing for the new Goblin fork. I don't see dual air listed as a modifier for the Reba model used. The green Goblin Reba model is the dual air Reba with separately adjustable positive and negative air pressures for fine tuning the ride. That is the RS 2012 model. Does the new Goblin have dual air adjustability or is it a solo air fork. RS has changed to solo air for all 2013 models-- in my opinion a step backwards.
It's dual air,
Airborne Bicycles. NEW Goblin

From the specs row for the fork RockShox Reba RL 29 Dual Air w/Lock-Out, tapered steer, 100mm

#53 ·
This first batch of new black Goblins were made with the Dual Air, the last of RockShox 2012 stock. We did this on purpose because we felt the Dual Air feature was better than the coming Single Air.

That means that after we sell out of this first batch and make another batch, those will be SIngle Air.

Hope that makes sense,

Jeremy

#57 ·
This first batch of new black Goblins were made with the Dual Air, the last of RockShox 2012 stock. We did this on purpose because we felt the Dual Air feature was better than the coming Single Air.

That means that after we sell out of this first batch and make another batch, those will be SIngle Air.

Hope that makes sense,

Jeremy
Hmm, another reason for me to order this sooner rather than later!

I'm pretty sure I know which size I need but I'll measure myself tonight and give y'all a call later to get it done.

#54 ·
Fork.... RockShox Reba RL 29 Dual Air w/Lock-Out, tapered steer, 100mm

I see it now. Thanks. With the other 2013 bikes like the Scott 950 switching from a Reba last year to a Fox CTD this year Airborne made a very good choice to stay with the dual air Reba. That is the strongest component choice for any bike in this price range. Kudos to Airborne.

#56 ·
Woot!

Bike was delivered at 1:26 pm, about 5 minutes after I got home from picking up the Spindoctor G3 from performance.

Box was in decent shape, slightly twisted (looking down from the top) and one tear\hole in the side.

Have no time to open it and inspect it, or to simply just peak at it, as I am off to work. Depending on what time I get home on Sunday, ( Will need to watch some NFL goodness) I might tear into it to see if anything is damaged (most likely not, depending on what caused the tear) will give a full report if there is anything to be concerned about.

#59 ·
Brown Santa has arrived. While the bike arrived mostly intact a couple of observations:

1.) My first thought was that this bike definitely was not packed nearly as well as my first Goblin. I even looked at the old box as it was so nice I kept it just in case I needed to ship a bike. I later found a really nasty scratch on the downtube to confirm that 1/2 way through assembly. It was a chip about the size of a pencil eraser. It looks a little better after I buffed it a little, but I'm still bummed. :(

2.) Other than the hanger was a little "sprung" the derailleurs were much more closely adjusted that my original Goblin (just minor barrel adjustments). Somewhere along the way, the new spacer that clips in around the cassette was even smashed in over half of an inch on itself.

3.) The cable routing is still HORRIBLE on this bike, but it's a known entity and I immediately shortened and rerouted the housings.

4.) I didn't realize how much difference my carbon bar, Thompson seatpost, Truvativ stem, and Stan's Arch EX's made on the bike. My son's getting the original Goblin, but not those items :)

5.) Brand new Geax AKA's are SLICK on wet, sealed asphalt. It woke me up :eekster:

6.) Building a SWEET bike while it's pouring hard enough to strangle frogs and knowing you can't really test it for a few days sucks.

All in all it seems to be another awesome bike, but I'd definitely suggest going back to the original packing with the foam sheets and hard axle spacers. I'd bet it even saves Airborne a lot of money in long run.

#61 ·
These bikes are made in mass batches by the factory and the parts are spec'd out and procured prior to assembly. As long as you order one from this initial production run, you should definitely get one with dual air. However, I have no idea how many are in a production run or how quickly they sell out. If you wait a few months I suspect you may get the single air version.

#67 ·
Well folks, my Goblin arrived today so i just got in after a little couple hour drive to pick it up at my works warehouse. The box was in excellent condition overall except for this.:eek:
After further examination i think i got lucky and everything seems to be in tact. Now its build time. being a NOOB I may have some stupid questions coming your way but i hope she goes together as easy as the others here have posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.