Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi Jeremy, I have another friend that is interested in a Goblin. He's got a 34" inseam 5'10". Do you think the 20 is fine?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by rick5587 View Post
    Hi Jeremy, I have another friend that is interested in a Goblin. He's got a 34" inseam 5'10". Do you think the 20 is fine?
    Hmmmm.

My gut tells me that he'd be better on the 18", unless he has really long arms. At 5'10" and a 34" inseam, he has a longer inseam than average for his height which means he has a shorter torso than average. A 20" may be too long for him in regards to reach/ETT unless he has super long arms, even though he can easily stand over it.

So I'm leaning toward the 18" for him, and he *may* need to end up buying a longer seat-post as the 350mm may not be long enough for him to get proper leg extension.....a 400mm may be in order.

You can have him call us and we can work with him over the phone to verify everything. Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Just got the 9er Carbon Flat Bar. Is the torque wrench and paste really necessary?

mtbr member
    Just got the 9er Carbon Flat Bar. Is the torque wrench and paste really necessary?
    I use the paste that way its not to dry on the carbon and id use a torque wrench on carbon! If it were anything else id say just make sure its snug. My carbon cock pit made noise until I used the paste!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Looking to upgrade to Black Flag Pro or Expert, knowing that the Experts are 170 grams heavier. Either set will be lighter/stiffer than current.

Inclined towards the Experts and saving about $125.

Does anyone have thoughts about the Pros being better enough to justify more money besides weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    Looking to upgrade to Black Flag Pro or Expert, knowing that the Experts are 170 grams heavier. Either set will be lighter/stiffer than current.

Does anyone have thoughts about the Pros being better enough to justify more money besides weight?
    I have the pros on my hobgoblin xo and I am really impressed with them not to mention running them tubeless has been sweet. Very strong rim as I'm running over a lot of roots here in Florida. Also I weigh 225lbs so with that being said I think they are killer as I give them a good beating each time I am out!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    I use the paste that way its not to dry on the carbon and id use a torque wrench on carbon! If it were anything else id say just make sure its snug. My carbon cock pit made noise until I used the paste!
    OK...ordered the paste and will go look for a cheap torque wrench at Sears or Home Depot

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: New Airborne Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post

I'm looking at the experts and comps as well for my goblin. Also looking at other wheel sets in that price range. It is a little overwhelming with ask the options.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The thing I keep coming back to the Black Flags about is the ability to run front QR or 15mm or 20mm.

Plus, they look to be a good value weight to price wise.

I think I am going to go with the Experts. The extra weight is not that big a deal to me.

Captain Climber
    OK...ordered the paste and will go look for a cheap torque wrench at Sears or Home Depot
    Don't forget Harbor Freight... They have cheap torque wrenches with lifetime warrenty.

Airborne Product Dude
    Harbor Freight is a great place to pick up tools like torque wrenches, micrometers, etc.

Definitely use a torque wrench. I cracked a carbon seatpost last year on my own bike just going by feel. I own a torque wrench and usually use it, but I didn't have it handy and went on feel. My "feel" was off by 2 Nm which was enough to overtighten and crack the post.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a Harbor Freight right by the office...any idea of what PN is the cheapest of the decent torque wrenches?

Captain Climber
    I have a Harbor Freight right by the office...any idea of what PN is the cheapest of the decent torque wrenches?
    Go to their website and sign up for their mailing list. You'll get a ton of coupons. I think they only have one torque wrench per size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Does anyone know how tight I have to tighten this bar?
    Niner Flat Top Carbon Handlebar 2012 > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Handlebars | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    I can't find the spec anywhere.

thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Don't forget Harbor Freight... They have cheap torque wrenches with lifetime warrenty.
    This was the best $20 spent on bikestuff over last few weeks.

Highly recommend it

Ritchey 5Nm Multi-Torque Key - Take Along Tools / Multi-tools

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    This was the best $20 spent on bikestuff over last few weeks.

Highly recommend it

Ritchey 5Nm Multi-Torque Key - Take Along Tools / Multi-tools
    Nice one! Just ordered.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice one! Just ordered.
    What I like is just throw in Camel Back or seatpack. I find it useful if I feel the need to adjust on a ride. Last week buddy tried my Goblin XO. No problem just change seat height and good to go.

You may find initially that it feels like you are applying alot of torque. That is due to the very short lever arm. When you hit 5 NM you get a clearly audible click and the wrench sort of gives way. It is truly a gem of a tool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What I like is just throw in Camel Back or seatpack. I find it useful if I feel the need to adjust on a ride. Last week buddy tried my Goblin XO. No problem just change seat height and good to go.

You may find initially that it feels like you are applying alot of torque. That is due to the very short lever arm. When you hit 5 NM you get a clearly audible click and the wrench sort of gives way. It is truly a gem of a tool.
    So same tightness goes for the seatpost as well? Cool.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

The wrench works great...I installed the bars last night during halftime. I thought I was over tightening but followed what you said and sure enough it snaps when you hit the limit. This is a great tool since there are always minute adjustments I like to make to the brake, shifters and degree of handlebar. Awesome recommendation...thanks man

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Happy Goblin owner.. I have had my Goblin for about a month now and it has been a blast around Pittsburgh. Performs great in easy river trail, and excels in the single track outside of the city. I am 6" and have a 34 inseam so I went with the 20 and I am happy I did. The bike was a bit large out of the box, but after dialing in the seat it feels great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Airborne Goblin-bike.jpg  

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by aguilford4 View Post
    Happy Goblin owner.. I have had my Goblin for about a month now and it has been a blast around Pittsburgh. Performs great in easy river trail, and excels in the single track outside of the city. I am 6" and have a 34 inseam so I went with the 20 and I am happy I did. The bike was a bit large out of the box, but after dialing in the seat it feels great.
    Great pic! You're now Photo of the Day on our Facebook page!

BTW I love Pittsburg, one of my favorite cities. Always have a great time when I am there. Have you ridden the new bike park they built?

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Happy Canada Day for all you Airborne owners in the great white north. It's a nice day to be out burning some calories before consuming some later on tonight.

New Airborne Goblin-cam00127_zps6533a903.jpg

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how tight I have to tighten this bar?
    Niner Flat Top Carbon Handlebar 2012 > Components > Handlebars and Stems > Handlebars | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    I can't find the spec anywhere.

thanks for the help!
    Id call Jenson on that they should have the specs!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Id call Jenson on that they should have the specs!
    Agreed, they should put that info on the specs, but I emailed niner bikes and ralph responded pretty quickly with the answer. 5nm

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey all. Been doing A LOT of reading on the Goblin and whatever I could read on the Guardian. I've been going back and forth deciding with the bikes from LBS and after being COMPLETELY exhausting myself, I decided to go with the Goblin. I was set to buy the Scott Scale 950 but was very hesitant to putting down so much $$$. It wasn't until I experience the fluidity of SRAM shifting that was a deal breaker with Scott. I also have to give Airborne some credit, many thanks to Eric from Airborne. We chatted for almost half an hour (bikes and business as well). Anyone else in NYC with the Airborne? Never mtb'd before other than about 15 years ago when I had a cheap store branded bike that I rode it to the ground, loved that bike... but loved the mustang I moved on to even more!

Anyways, I think I'm going to be very happy to be in this community. Just waiting for an email I sent to Airborne about the size. (Can you believe it? I spoke on the phone and didn't even think about asking about the size!) I measured myself at 5'8-1/2" today but I'm actually 5'10" when I don't slouch and 30.5 inseam (kinda measured a little lower to give my boys some room). I fit right in between the 17-18 range... but thinking if I should go with the 16". Love the tube bend on the 16". I'm 220lbs and looking definitely shed 20 lbs easily with the bike.... maybe errr... 40 lbs? What do you guys think?

Oh... ps, the website doesn't have any info on how to become an Airborne Flight Crew. I think it would be a pleasure to represent them here in the east side.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast