Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    so they are crimps basically...got it. thanks man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    one question...I'm trying to figure out how to adjust the derailleurs, but for some reason they will not shift to the highest or lowest cog on the cassette...basically 8 gears are working and when I get close to either end I can hear rubbing with the front der cage. Fixing it is beyond me since I just started out a few months ago, but my question is, will someone that worked on thousands of race bikes in the 70's and 80's and no experience since then be able to fine tune my bike or should I just take it to a local LBS. I'd rather have a few beers with my dad's friend and learn from him but I know the tech has changed drastically since the last time he worked on bikes.

mtbr member

New Airborne Goblin

Take to to him and have him look. If nothing else you get to spend some time with him. You can also adjust the rear by taking the cable loose from the derailleur and adjusting the high and low limit screws making sure the derailleur doesn't go past the smallest or largest cogs.

This pic may help:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369376966.502944.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  11.9 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    Take to to him and have him look. If nothing else you get to spend some time with him. You can also adjust the rear by taking the cable loose from the derailleur and adjusting the high and low limit screws making sure the derailleur doesn't go past the smallest or largest cogs.

This pic may help:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369376966.502944.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  11.9 KB
    Thanks...I tried this last night, but noticed that I can't shift to the lowest or highest cog on the cassette. Even if I manually move it to one of them it shifts the one next to it.

mtbr member
    You'll need to turn both of these screws counterclockwise a bit. I'd suggest taking it on a test ride and shift it into the 2nd largest cog. Then stop and turn the L screw a quarter turn counterclockwise. Start riding again and see if it'll shift into that biggest cog. If not, stop and turn it out another quarter turn. Repeat until it'll shift then fine tune to make sure the derailleur pulley is in line with the biggest cog. Then repeat this process with the smallest cog and the H screw and that should solve your problem.

New Airborne Goblin-img_20130524_134916_776.jpg

Hope this helps! Good luck to ya

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    You'll need to turn both of these screws counterclockwise a bit. I'd suggest taking it on a test ride and shift it into the 2nd largest cog. Then stop and turn the L screw a quarter turn counterclockwise. Start riding again and see if it'll shift into that biggest cog. If not, stop and turn it out another quarter turn. Repeat until it'll shift then fine tune to make sure the derailleur pulley is in line with the biggest cog. Then repeat this process with the smallest cog and the H screw and that should solve your problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20130524_134916_776.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	801980

Hope this helps! Good luck to ya
    Thanks...trying this as soon as I get home.

Captain Climber
    Shift as far up or down as you can since they are both out. Then say if you are on the H side (smaller cogs, highest gear on the shifter) start loosening (Lefty Loosey) the H screw. YOu will be able to see the derailluer move under the cogs. Get it to where it looks in line with the smallest cog. Then test it by getting the rear wheel off the ground and spinning the cranks while shifting down and up (through the high gears). When you get it perfect work on the opposite side the same way. Then you might have to do some fine tuning with the barrel adjuster on the lever for any issues in between.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I had to do the same thing to my Goblin. It actually wasn't too bad out of the box, but I made it worse attempting to adjust it. Once I got the whole H-L thing straightened back out, experimenting with the barrel adjuster is what actually put the finishing touches on it and made it nice and smooth. You have received good advice above. I was winging it and started to get frustrated. If you do, just slow down a bit and take your time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    OK, messing around with both the H and L I was able to get it aligned with the smallest cog finally but now when I shift to the next the derailleur moves slightly but not enough to shift to the next one. After that it will shift down to all the others but again I can't get to the largest cog. I can though shift back to the smallest but again, that second one is skipped. What about the barrel adjuster? Any advice there? Let me know if this made sense.

Captain Climber
    Get the largest cog setup next using he L. L is for low gear side only (the largest cog, 1st gear) and H is for High Gear (smallest cog, 10th gear). Once you got those setup use the barrel adjuster to fine tune the middle gears. If your having the same problem with 9th once you do this you need to tighten it a click or two with the barrel adjuster.

Captain Climber
    I'm not sure if you have a barrel adjuster on your derailluer... Mine doesn't (Sram x4) but yours is different. If you can't get the low side with this your hanger might be bent

mtbr member
    I just ordered a Goblin in 20" today, and im hoping and praying that there will be one left for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atomiclab View Post
    I just ordered a Goblin in 20" today, and im hoping and praying that there will be one left for me.
    Hope your good with rear derailleurs. Seems like everyone, including me, had to adjust theirs.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Im not a bike mechanic or anything, but I do work on my own bikes and my friends bikes. I have adjusted some derailleurs several times. it can definitely be a lengthy process and repetitive, especially in the beginning.

you usually have to start from zero. meaning you may not be able to tweak your current adjustment into being right on.

you may need to put it in the cog position of zero (or near zero) cable tension. for Shimano that is the small cog. Sram will be new for me, but fundamentals are the same.

cable tension controls which cog you are in in conjunction with shifter position. Cable tension also controls the tendency of your chain wanting to jump (or not jump) to the next upper or lower cog. less tension moves to the zero position ( small cog on the shimanos) and more tension moves the derailleur away from "zero" position.

you may have to get it in a decent adjustment first, then adjust the "High" "Low" limit screws just like KrazyKreitzer posted just up the thread.

then fine tune the cable tension making the gears shifting better in tune as you turn the crank constantly and running up and down the gears.

Watch videos on youtube. thats how I learned.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    By following advice from the book "Bicycle Maintenance and Repair" I was able to get it pretty much working. The only gear I cannot shift to is the largest cog on the cassette. Basically it was a mixture of the H and L and also the barrel adjuster to fine tune it. The other problem was that the front derailleur also needed to be adjusted. I had to loosen it and re-align it in order to get rid of the rubbing. Needless to say it was a pain in the ass, but I have everything working smoothly except that last cog...the largest one, which I don't really use so I will ride tomorrow and I guess take it to an LBS sometime next week. Unless one of you can tell me what else to do...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Hope your good with rear derailleurs. Seems like everyone, including me, had to adjust theirs.
    I'm sorry to hear about RD issues; we do our best to get them tuned correctly before they are packed.

Not to minimize your problem, but not "everyone" has a problem with their RD out of the box. In fact, most folks don't have any issues. The thing about every foum (bikes, cars, cameras, etc) is that generally folks post when they have a problem, and when things go perfect out of the box there's nothing to post about. Based on the now large # of Goblins we've sold versus the feedback we get here and via email and phone, the issue rate is very low.

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member

Re: New Airborne Goblin

Huh? Are you saying that you unbox the bikes after they arrive from China, tune them up and then repackage them?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybkr View Post
    Huh? Are you saying that you unbox the bikes after they arrive from China, tune them up and then repackage them?
    Nope, that's not what I said. We build, then partially disassemble and then pack them at the factory. Our warehouse is a shipping facility only.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by rick5587 View Post
    By following advice from the book "Bicycle Maintenance and Repair" I was able to get it pretty much working. The only gear I cannot shift to is the largest cog on the cassette. Basically it was a mixture of the H and L and also the barrel adjuster to fine tune it. The other problem was that the front derailleur also needed to be adjusted. I had to loosen it and re-align it in order to get rid of the rubbing. Needless to say it was a pain in the ass, but I have everything working smoothly except that last cog...the largest one, which I don't really use so I will ride tomorrow and I guess take it to an LBS sometime next week. Unless one of you can tell me what else to do...
    Can you post a pic of your hanger inline with your frame so we can see if it is bent?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about RD issues; we do our best to get them tuned correctly before they are packed.

Not to minimize your problem, but not "everyone" has a problem with their RD out of the box. In fact, most folks don't have any issues. The thing about every foum (bikes, cars, cameras, etc) is that generally folks post when they have a problem, and when things go perfect out of the box there's nothing to post about. Based on the now large # of Goblins we've sold versus the feedback we get here and via email and phone, the issue rate is very low.

Jeremy

I can attest to this...my RD was perfectly dialed right out of the box with zero issues. My FD only needed minor cable adjustment...the high and low limits were set properly.

mtbr member
    If your not sure how to do it take it to a local shop. It will take them 5 minutes to get r done for ya. Best to do that then to take it way out of adjustment. Its a great thing to know as the more you ride the more you'll have to make a little adjustment here or there. Hope you enjoy it! Peace

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New Airborne Goblin

Dérailleur issues and other mechanical adjustments are just one of the caveats of buying a bicycle directly from the manufacture. There are tons of how to videos and online information for fine tuning the components. I listed the Park Tool site above, but there are several others. Additionally, REI and other stores offer weekend classes for bicycle repair.

Ultimately, there is no shame in taking a new bike to the LBS. If a purchaser is not familiar with the fine tuning and technical adjustments of components a professional adjustment is the best way to get the most out of a new ride. Just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Nope, that's not what I said. We build, then partially disassemble and then pack them at the factory. Our warehouse is a shipping facility only.

Thanks,

Jeremy
    I understand...that's the way it goes with some of our products we manufacture. We sell hundreds of a certain item and get three people with problems and they start saying what a bad product it is even though no one else is complaining when looking through my system. That's the way it goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Can you post a pic of your hanger inline with your frame so we can see if it is bent?
    Here is a pic. Let me know what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Airborne Goblin-rsz_20130525_155035.jpg  

mtbr member

New Airborne Goblin

For example, my bike needed no adjustment when I got it. I was glad but have definitely learned to adjust brakes and shifters after swapping forks, wheels, and breaking my front shifter in what I'll refer to as a crash.

Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast