Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast
    Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by hord1080 View Post

Also, Airborne guy - do you know the weight penalty of going from a 18" to a 20"?

There isn't much weight difference between an 18" and 20". Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 lb at most. Essentially everything is the same other than 3 tubes on the frame that are slightly longer.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Competitive cyclist website has a fit calculator with videos on how to measure everything. Once you measure everything you can send the numbers to Jeremy or Eric and they can recommend a size for you. That's what I did and the 20" is very comfortable.
    Thanks! I will do that tonight. I am officially 5'10" per the doctor but look taller, I am 6'+ with shoes on...I think it's the flat feet lol.

I've been looking at the Specialized Carve Comp 29, Trek Cobia/Xcal, Cannondale SL 29er. All shops say 19"...anyone know which bike out there is comparable?

Also, bigdaddy - do you know what the bottom bracket height is on the Goblin? It's not listed on the site, just curious.

mtbr member
    Also if you have an Iphone I bought the fit my bike app which help me send jeremy and eric my sizes as we were thinking possibly a 19 and I ended up getting the 17 HobGob! Great app!

Airborne Product Dude
    The BB on the Goblin is 12.25 inches high.

If you are 5'10" my gut reaction is that an 18" is a better fit for the Goblin, but a lot depends on your measured inseam (crotch to floor), torso length, and arm length.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    I'm 5' 10" (most days) and I have the medium.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm sold to this bike, hope it doesn't change tomorrow... Is there a specific size of pedal that I need to buy? newbie here. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You want 9/16 for the Goblin. You will love the bike. I've had mine all of 10 days and spent 3 hours in the saddle today and couldn't be more thrilled with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Oh, I'm 5'11 with a 32" inseam and the 18" Goblin is perfect.

Enjoy!

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel_unico View Post
    I'm sold to this bike, hope it doesn't change tomorrow...
    Great!

We have no plans to change the Goblin for at least the next 10-12 months. It's a storming spec for the price as is and we don't want to mess with a good thing.

There is one small problem that I've hinted at lately but I probably should come on out and state it: Our sales are so good on the Goblin that all of the forecasting we have done in the past 6 months has to be thrown out the window, and we are in a bit of a predicament in terms of inventory management. The batch that we just made and brought into our warehouse 2 weeks ago is quickly running out, to the point I fear that we will be out of 18's in the next 2 weeks and probably the 16's/20's within the next 4 weeks after that. This order was supposed to have lasted thru July until the new replenishment order came in. Due to industry lead times on parts we probably can't speed up the replenishment order any faster.

We don't want to be "that company" that always posts "Warning, We have limited qtys, Sizes will sell out very quickly" because it seems like such a cliche, but.......................unfortunately that's where we are at right now. We're working hard to remedy the situation by doubling and even tripleing up on quantities for future orders.

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded comments!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi BDF Airborne Dude,

I am very seriously considering the purchase of a Goblin for myself and Guardian for my wife and have a sizing question. This will be the first 29er for both of us. I would normally ride a 19" or similar in a 26" bike, and I have fairly short legs for how tall I am. I am 6'2" with a long torso, longish arms (35-36 sleeve length) and kind of short legs (32" inseam). Looking at the standover height, I'm thinking the 20" is the right one for me. Any thoughts? Also, my wife is 5'9" with pretty (and pretty) long legs. The 18" Guardian seems about right for her. Appreciate your help.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by ddblu View Post
    Hi BDF Airborne Dude,

I am very seriously considering the purchase of a Goblin for myself and Guardian for my wife and have a sizing question. This will be the first 29er for both of us. I would normally ride a 19" or similar in a 26" bike, and I have fairly short legs for how tall I am. I am 6'2" with a long torso, longish arms (35-36 sleeve length) and kind of short legs (32" inseam). Looking at the standover height, I'm thinking the 20" is the right one for me. Any thoughts? Also, my wife is 5'9" with pretty (and pretty) long legs. The 18" Guardian seems about right for her. Appreciate your help.
    Hey there,

The 20" should be a good fit for you. You may need to get a longer stem to dial it in once you get it, but try it with the stock stem first.

You're wife is almost the same size as one of the women we ride with, and she rides an 18. It fits her perfectly. I think that's probably a good choice for your wife.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Hey there,

The 20" should be a good fit for you. You may need to get a longer stem to dial it in once you get it, but try it with the stock stem first.

You're wife is almost the same size as one of the women we ride with, and she rides an 18. It fits her perfectly. I think that's probably a good choice for your wife.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy

Appreciate the insight. I will decide for sure and most likely purchase within the next 2 weeks. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    OKAY, so months ago..... I bought a Goblin, Assembled it, and then we got snow that lasted all winter. Who'd a thought. I am not a guy who get's excited easy so I was fine with having to wait a few months. Anyway, It went together well and tuning was easy once you understand the mechanics. I am mechanically inclined to the point where I know when to back away. The only issue I had was the derailleur hanger was slightly bent out of the box. I picked up a couple and all was well. I have to say that although I have not ridden much at all in the past 15 years I was back feeling comfortable in no time. I now have about 50+ hours of trail riding on it. Some a bit technical. I have had no problems with the bike whatsoever. To be honest, I try to beat the crap out of the thing when I can just because I know it can take it. You know the feeling, when you giggle because your amazed at what you just did. I am 5'9" with an inseam of 30". My decision had been made that I was getting a Goblin so I went to several bike shops (key to picking my size) and found myself comfortable with a frame between medium (18") and small (16"). I also compared bikes with similar geometry just to be certain. I sat on and rode several bikes and none of them matched the cost to quality ratio. I decided to go with the smaller frame size. My thought was that if I went too big it would be harder to adjust. Keep in mind I am no expert here but I will say that I am extremely comfortable on this thing. You know you've made the right decision when you can go riding and only think of your physical/experience limitations and not the bikes. I do not even think of the machine under me because it's so comfortable. The kids have seen me having so much fun they want "in" so with that said I believe in the product so much that once my daughter get's back from college I plan to grab 2 Guardians for the kids (I cant let them have a bike as good as mine! LOL).

mtbr member
    Here's a pic with some new rubber on my Goblin. The trails are just starting to open up where I live and I'm hoping these HD's will do the trick for runnin in the slop. If not I may have to step it up and go for some Muddy Marry's. It didn't take more than a couple pedal strokes to realize the rolling resistance is a wee bit more than the Geax 2.2's

New Airborne Goblin-cam00073_zps1f7160f3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Okay, finally got my new goblin out on a real trail this weekend, and wow, what an awesome bike. I'm 5'8" with 30" inseam and the 16" frame fits great. First time I did not have back pains after riding MTB in 18 years!

I did change out the bars to 720mm length and found the steering a little slow on a quick trial run through the twisties. Felt like I had to try and push the bike around tight corners. Tried out a 60mm stem, and now the bike is quick and nimble as my 26" bike ever was. Had no idea how much the stem length could affect handling. Especially love the 2x10 drivetrain. So much easier to react to quick terrain changes. Thanks for the awesome bike Airborne team!

lmw
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    set my goblin up today

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by lmw View Post
    set my goblin up today

Nice

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New Airborne Goblin

I ordered and received a new Goblin 18" for my wife. I have been very impressed with the Airborne employees on this forum and frankly the part spec on the bike is excellent for the price. I ordered the bike and it was delivered to my door (Southern California) in about 48 hours. I missed the first delivery attempt and was shocked it arrived so quickly.

The packaging carton was undamaged and everything looked good. The frame has one small ding on the down tube where the front wheel hub cap protector rubbed on the frame during shipping. It drives me nuts, but the wife does not care.

I have a lot of experience with mountain bikes, so the assembly was not a problem. I did shorten the cables and adjust the derailleurs. For a more upright and comfortable seating position I also changed the handle bar and stem to an Easton 60mm and hi-rise bar. (I prefer a set up with a shorter stem and a longer top tube.) The wife also wants a new seat, so I have a Selle Italia Diva on order. Oh yeah and Saint platform pedals--yeah I know, what?

I am very impressed with the bike. I have about $1500 invested, and it is a good value. The frame and components are top notch, the bike shifts smoothly and the brakes are terrific. The fork alone is a huge upgrade over a typical spec on other $1500 bikes. I am not too worried about the weight, but the bike feels and rides very solid. The wife is pleased and I am too.

Joseph

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lmw View Post
    set my goblin up today

Looks sweet. You may want to shorten up the front cables a bit.

lmw
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleevem1 View Post
    Looks sweet. You may want to shorten up the front cables a bit.
    how do I do that? Im a noob. also, does the seat take some 'getting used to' or is just a really hard seat? i found it quite uncomfy on my first real ride today

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    these Goblins are really cool... seems like a good bike to get me into a 29er.

I really wish I could afford a carbon framed bike... only time I rode a 29er is when I went to a Niner demo day and tried a SIR9 then an AIR9 carbon... the carbon felt so amazingly light and agile, I wish I could have a bike like that... but not at $5k.

The Goblin seems well priced with good specs.

TXTony
    I have tried to give the saddle the benefit but after 3 hours on it yesterday I have decided it must go...I think saddles and other things that go to fit come down to personal preference..I have become a fan of Fizik saddles and will be putting one on the Goblin in the near future...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've came to the same conclusion Tony. I'm in the process of looking for a new saddle. I gave the OEM SanMarco saddle, around 10 hours of seat time on easy single track. While it's the correct width, it's just not ergonomically suited for me.

I rode 3 hours this morning on a Specialized Avatar. While better, my search will continue. My LBS is allowing me to run through their inventory to find one I like.

mtbr member
    Took the new Goblin out today...this bike just wants to go fast...performs awesome on everything.. Love it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Airborne Goblin-image.jpg  

New Airborne Goblin-image.jpg  

Captain Climber
    The two Goblins posted above look different. What gives? Lmw has a bend in his top tube. Either way they both look great and I love all the cool green accents!

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 24 ... LastLast