Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: New Airborne Goblin

Here's a video (enjoy the wall color/curtains)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTOl...e_gdata_player

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Here's a video (enjoy the wall color/curtains)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTOl...e_gdata_player
    Video is private, so can't see it.

Is it constant or only under load?

Without seeing the video...Sounds like a typical chain jumping noise caused by an adjustment\alignment issue. Should be easy to resolve.

Had a similar issue on my Goblin when I first got it, mine would jump under load. Simple RD adjustment and it was gone.

mtbr member

New Airborne Goblin

Cage may be tweaked. Mine started clicking the other day after a crash. Haven't looked at it yet but I did look at the hanger and its straight.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Cab just post a photo of rear derailleur - I'm guessing the top jockey wheel might be too close to the cog...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

When doing indexing I run out of clockwise rotation (at the barrel adjuster), what is this caused by? I undo the cable at the RD, have the barrel adjuster turned all the way in prior, then with the cable undone at the RD, I back the barrel adjuster out 2 full turns then reconnect the cable. Is this not the right way to start out with indexing? The limit screws and hanger appear to be fine.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

The top jockey wheel isn't touching any part of the cassette.

Airborne Flight Crew
    When doing indexing I run out of clockwise rotation (at the barrel adjuster), what is this caused by? I undo the cable at the RD, have the barrel adjuster turned all the way in prior, then with the cable undone at the RD, I back the barrel adjuster out 2 full turns then reconnect the cable. Is this not the right way to start out with indexing? The limit screws and hanger appear to be fine.
    Clockwise?

The barrel adjuster is to take up slack/make the cable tighter for adjusting either indexing or keeping it dialed as the housing compresses over time.

If you're adjusting the shifts, you should use the barrel adjuster by dialing it counter-clockwise, (effectively loosening it) this puts more tension in the cable by compressing the housing. That's what's worked for me so far...

(the reason you back it out two turns is just so have that extra adjustment IF needed, but you shouldn't be screwing it IN to the lever/housing. - hope that makes sense
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

When running through the gears (smallest to largest cog), it will want to jump up a cog that it shouldn't be on, this is fixed by turning the barrel adjuster in clockwise right? If it doesn't shift up to the next cog, that's when you would turn counter clockwise right?

Airborne Flight Crew
    That is correct - turning the adjuster CCW will lessen tension in the cable. What gear is it jumping from/to?

I'm about to run cables on my bike right now, I'm going to pay extra close attention to what's going on....
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

It's jumping in the middle of the cassette, not exactly sure which one. But i also get that rubbing sound on some of the cogs( like it's rubbing on the next cog up). I will check in the morning.

I thought CCW increased tension on the cable? I'm so confused lol.

Airborne Flight Crew
    I thought CCW increased tension on the cable? I'm so confused lol.
    It does I should be in bed.... sorry!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Both my Guardian and the wife's Skyhawk were jumping a gear in the middle of the cassette.Turned out that it was because the cable was binding a bit because the housing from the seat stay to the derailleur was a bit too short.
    Also if you can find some one with a hanger alignment tool, it might help. I've fixed numerous shifting problems with mine. Even though the hanger looked straight, it wasn't. Also try check that your cassette is tight and torque it to spec.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I have a hanger alignment tool and aligned it last weekend, but I suppose I can check it again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Does the goblin come with a pump to adjust the fork?

mtbr member

New Airborne Goblin

No. But I definitely suggest picking one up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    No. But I definitely suggest picking one up.
    Any pump you can suggest or are all they all the same?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Just check out the reviews from the online stores. I picked up a Topeak pump because it's not supposed to loose air when disconnecting the pump.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

I have the sette air 2 from pricepoint and like it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

I've a Buzzy's Pollinator that I like.

mtbr member

New Airborne Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by jdhunt0 View Post
    Any pump you can suggest or are all they all the same?
    I bought a RockShox pump but they should all be of good quality. Just check the reviews.

Also, from what I have read, forks don't lose air when disconnected. Instead, the tube on the pump fills with air when the pump is connected and what you hear is the tube losing pressure when you disconnect. Then next time you connect the pump (even if you connect it again immediately) the tube fills back up and that's why the reading you get is lower.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    How do you install a bash guard on a 2x10 crank?

mtbr member
    Call eric or Jeremy with airborne maybe thay have one on one of their bikes as most from what I remember fit different bikes! Jerry hazard may be able to help if you see him jumping around on the forums.

mtbr member
    Hey all, first post here but definitely not the last. Just ordered my Goblin last night and pedals, tubes, lube, etc from pricepoint.com. Super excited. I haven't mountain biked for many years so I'm pretty much a n00b. We have an excellent trail system here that has multiple access points just a few blocks from my house. After trail running the last few years and developing some nagging injuries, I figured it's time for some lower impact activities. The plus side is I know the local trails pretty good and am looking forward to some riding time. Cheers!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I am seriously thinking about getting the new Goblin after realizing that any other bike for $1200 is a notch below in specs and frame. I will need to call about the frame sizing which makes me nervous, though. My current bike now is a Medium Cannondale Jekyll from 2000 and I love the maneuverability of the smaller frame but always regret not getting a large since I feel cramped on long uphills. Unfortunately, all the shops around (Trek, Cannondale, Specialized) are putting me on their 19" 29er, which is smack in the middle of the 18 and 20" bikes. Decisions!!

Anyone know of a good site/video on how to measure inseam, arms, etc? Do I measure as if going for a suit?

Also, Airborne guy - do you know the weight penalty of going from a 18" to a 20"?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Competitive cyclist website has a fit calculator with videos on how to measure everything. Once you measure everything you can send the numbers to Jeremy or Eric and they can recommend a size for you. That's what I did and the 20" is very comfortable.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast