Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    mtbr member
    I went from a Yugo to a Ferarri for sure! I caught myself grinning so many times last night - such a blast to ride. I even bested my time around Rigor by four minutes, and I really wasn't pushing too hard which means there is tons of room for improvement. I am super excited about taking it to Alien Run this weekend to see how it does around the slickrock and fast switchbacks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yep, I know that feeling.

29ers are just easier to ride. Less fatigue afterwards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    I got some 2.5 mm spacers to put in between the BB cups and frame. That should keep that dust seal from coming out and also move the chainring in a bit. Seems to me there should've been spacers there in the first place when putting a 73mm crank in a 68mm shell....

And I decided to go 1x10 because I live in an area that's pretty flat, wanted to drop a little weight, and I already pretty much paid for the conversion by selling my shifter and FD. In my 2x10 set up I very rarely used the bottom 2 gears and didn't even touch the top 3 except for on the road
    Cool, thanks for the info. If you have a chance could you post a pic? I am having a hard time visualizing your change.

mtbr member

Re: New Airborne Goblin

Here's what it looked like before the spacers

Here's what it looks like now

There's less crank spindle exposed so that should keep the dust seal in. It also moved the chain line inward a bit so the noise when on the big cog is less noticeable

And here's the finished product

Using the standard X7 rd and no chain drops yet, these rings are awesome

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    cool, thanks. I guess I need to take it apart to see, but the spacers moved the whole crank toward the non-chainring side?

mtbr member
    Yep, 2.5 mm

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hoping I can get an answer here, but any idea what could be causing this movement in the cassette? I noticed it out-of-the-box, but forgot about it and went on a few rides anyway, but noticed it again today. I took a couple of videos:

Other one is here.

My LBS allegedly checked everything over for any loose bolts, so I would think that's not it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    For current Goblin owners - how does the bike handle in more technical terrain i.e. rock gardens etc. I've only ever ridden a bike that has a 15mm through axel vs. quick release and would have some concerns with the Reba RL. I've been posting in the "New Model Thread" and I'm thinking I may just wait for that but I'm curious to know how the front end stiffness is on the Goblin.

mtbr member
    I think the shock is great personally - I have no problem with the rock gardens around here. The lockout might give you 10mm in travel max, but there is plenty of adjustability in the switch - plus you get rebound adjustability. Keep in mind I don't do jumps or tricks, purely XC so I am not sure my opinion will help you out. What I do know is I love that bike. If you like hardtails, you will not regret the purchase of this one.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by swengo86 View Post
    For current Goblin owners - how does the bike handle in more technical terrain i.e. rock gardens etc. I've only ever ridden a bike that has a 15mm through axel vs. quick release and would have some concerns with the Reba RL. I've been posting in the "New Model Thread" and I'm thinking I may just wait for that but I'm curious to know how the front end stiffness is on the Goblin.
    If you are used to tapered head tubes AND 15mm thru axles then you will likely notice a little flex if you're a seasoned rider. But if you're coming from straight ht's the stiffness will be the same if not better with a comparable fork.

As far as handling rock gardens, the goblin gobbles it right up ( no pun intended). The longish chain stays and big wheels feel really stable in the rough stuff (for an xc hardtail)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll wait to see the price/final spec on the new model but this is helpful feedback for me. I'm coming off a FS 26" bike so I do a lot of XC type riding but I enjoy tackling some tougher terrain pretty frequently as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    For someone who is 5'9" and 210 lbs and dropping, is the 18" goblin the right size? Also, what is the weight of the 18" goblin. Thanks for answers. I am sure this information is somewhere on mtbr.com but I have become frustrated looking and figured I would just ask.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Call Airborne for sizing help. They will be happy to assist you.

Weights of bikes are listed on the Airborne web site. Check the description or the geometry tab.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have read everything here and talked to Airborne on the phone and still I'm torn between the 18" and 20" Goblin. I'm 6', 33" inseam. Airborne website puts me at 20", but on the phone they say it might be too stretched out (30" torso, 24" arms if my measurements are right).
    Currently ride a 19" FS. Current top tube is similar to 18", but I like a tall saddle height and I'm worried about running out of seat post and just feeling cramped on an 18". I currently run with ~8" of seat post showing. Only goblin I've been able to ride was a 22", too big for sure.
    Any thoughts from anybody that was on the same fence?

mtbr member

New Airborne Goblin

Sounds like you're leaning towards the 18". With a similar top tube you could always get a longer seat post and get the 18" dialed in. Jeremy runs his seats high and runs a longer post.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm the same measurements and went 20" - my full review is a few pages back, but it's very comfortable on the road, but does feel a little big on the trails. I'm getting used to it, but in hindsight would have gone 18" as I bought it to dominate trails vs. the road .

I plan to get some riser bars and a shorter stem to improve trail control...hopefully that will help. Def a great bike, but the fit is off a bit...the downfall of online purchasing. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by john-simpson View Post
    I have read everything here and talked to Airborne on the phone and still I'm torn between the 18" and 20" Goblin. I'm 6', 33" inseam. Airborne website puts me at 20", but on the phone they say it might be too stretched out (30" torso, 24" arms if my measurements are right).
    Currently ride a 19" FS. Current top tube is similar to 18", but I like a tall saddle height and I'm worried about running out of seat post and just feeling cramped on an 18". I currently run with ~8" of seat post showing. Only goblin I've been able to ride was a 22", too big for sure.
    Any thoughts from anybody that was on the same fence?
    Also, I weigh in at about 225. Will I regret an 18 or just go 20 and get a shorter stem if its too much of a reach?

mtbr member
    John,
    I have a 20" Goblin. I'm just shy of 6' and have a 33.5 inseam. I think the 20 will be good for you but everyone is different in the way they like there setups. I find the stock stem a bit too long so I' m going to get a shorter one with slightly wider low rise bars.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    Sounds like you're leaning towards the 18". With a similar top tube you could always get a longer seat post and get the 18" dialed in. Jeremy runs his seats high and runs a longer post.
    I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam crotch to floor.

This is a pic of one of my personal Goblin's. I've changed out a few things like handlebars and wheels since this image was taken, but it illustrates what the saddle height is with my inseam and the general look of a 20" frame. The stem is a 110mm.

With your inseam being only 33 and being one inch shorter in height, if you rode a 20" frame in theory your seat would be about 2-ish inches lower and you'd probably need a shorter stem.

I know its sort of a bit of a generalization but hopefully the pic helps a little bit..............

Jeremy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Airborne Goblin-silver-goblin.jpg  

Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the info. I may have a line on a friend of a friend with an 18 in my area that I can probably try out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

I've ridden an 18" for 20 years, but went with a 16" based on Jeremy's suggestion when I bought my Goblin this year. Even switch to a shorter stem and the new bike fits like a dream. Suspect it has to do with 29r geometry. Talk to Jeremy, and he'll get you set up right.

mtbr member
    Just pulled the trigger on the Goblin. Agonized over the Seeker due to the paint job, but in the end, decided on the better bike. Going to go old school with a set of Wellgo M142 pedals and a set of Zefel Christophe mountain clips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drteming View Post
    Just pulled the trigger on the Goblin. Agonized over the Seeker due to the paint job, but in the end, decided on the better bike. Going to go old school with a set of Wellgo M142 pedals and a set of Zefel Christophe mountain clips.
    You won't regret it - welcome to the club!

mtbr member
    I just ordered mine tonight. I have the Wellgo mg1 pedals all ready to go as well (though the spank spikes are on my buy list). It's kinda funny; I have 29 items on my amazon wish list that I will have to buy in time. I forgot how expensive of a sport this is!
    First mountain bike since 97. After researching for about a month I decided on the Goblin (amazing deal). This forum is full of great people, and I love that Jeremy posts here a lot. I can't wait for my first ride!

mtbr member

New Airborne Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Zombiefilmfan View Post
    First mountain bike since 97. After researching for about a month I decided on the Goblin (amazing deal). This forum is full of great people, and I love that Jeremy posts here a lot. I can't wait for my first ride!
    This was me 11 months ago. I'm so glad I got my Goblin. It's been great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Wink

Took it this weekend on its inaugural ride at Northshore trail at Lake Grapevine in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
    Loving the bike so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ADWulf View Post
    Took it this weekend on its inaugural ride at Northshore trail at Lake Grapevine in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
    Loving the bike so far.

I clocked about 1500 miles out there on my green goblin out there last year. Great value in that bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I live in the Valley Ranch area, so Horseshoe, Northshore and LB Houston are my home trails, I've probably done Northshore about 30 times in the last 6 months or so.
    One of the best trails in DFW.
    I haven't taken the Goblin out to Big Cedar yet, but I don't expect it to have any issues there either

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Nope, I actually moved on to a FS bike, but my buddy rode my Goblin a couple times and kept on me about selling it to him. He loves it. We ride Cedar all the time. BB is finally about to go. For those that know, is it a BB30?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by FullsizeMike View Post
    Nope, I actually moved on to a FS bike, but my buddy rode my Goblin a couple times and kept on me about selling it to him. He loves it. We ride Cedar all the time. BB is finally about to go. For those that know, is it a BB30?
    Nope, its a gxp. I just picked up a sram team bb for about $30

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    New Airborne Goblin-002.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]834288

I finally finished these 2 Goblin frames for my son and his GF. They're both frankenbikes but they turned out pretty good IMO. The 20" is for my 6'1" son and uses 2008 XT 9sp/Fox F29 and assorted parts from a bike I cracked the frame on and the 16" is for his 5'3" GF and uses mostly new upgraded parts from a BMC TE29 (slx 10sp/Recon Gold fork etc.). They both finished out @ about 27.5lbs which I was happy with considering they each have to carry around 740gms of slimetubes (I put one of my Hope/Stans wheel sets with tubeless schwallbe tires on the 20" and it weighed in @ 24.29lbs). The kids love them and I'm much happier using my spare parts like this rather than selling them at a swap!
    Mole[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Airborne Goblin-005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Awesome to see some more silver Goblin frames built up! That 20" looks really similar to mine.

MTBer
    Just got myself a new Goblin and I love it! Best decision I've made in my quest for a new 29er.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Congrats to you!

Looks great. Enjoy riding it.

mtbr member
    Yep! Looks all you are needing to do is go find some dirt and get it dirty! Enjoy it, looks great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My plans are to have a Goblin by March2014. I am really impressed with all the positive reviews. I have already called Airborne and Jeremy was very helpful with helping me choose a bike.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    You won't regret it Brandon - Airborne is top notch when it comes to customer service.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    You won't regret it Brandon - Airborne is top notch when it comes to customer service.
    Working 2 jobs right now to save the Money. Its crazy how much kids cost to raise . Christmas for 4 kids who all want bikes has gotten expensive. Lucky for me only 2 are at the age of getting trail ready bikes.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member

I don't think I've ever heard of a dissatisfied Airborne customer anywhere on this forum, and that's saying a lot! Everyone who has had an issue (soul chicken being one of them) got it resolved quickly and easily as far as I know. And its soooo nice to be able to call them and speak directly with Jeremy or Eric without going through any automated crap. They're very knowledgeable and you just don't see that kind of customer service anymore. You definitely won't be disappointed!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard of a dissatisfied Airborne customer anywhere on this forum, and that's saying a lot! Everyone who has had an issue (soul chicken being one of them) got it resolved quickly and easily as far as I know. And its soooo nice to be able to call them and speak directly with Jeremy or Eric without going through any automated crap. They're very knowledgeable and you just don't see that kind of customer service anymore. You definitely won't be disappointed!

Can't say enough about Eric and Jeremy. They are the closest thing to an LBS without actually being local. They helped me out with my issue here in Nashville with no problems.

Couldn't be happier with Airborne, great bikes and awesome people.

mtbr member
    Aww shucks! Thanks for the kind words guys! We just try to treat folks the way we'd like to be treated.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon5132 View Post
    My plans are to have a Goblin by March, 2014.
    That's exactly what my plan is, too!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Im 6'5" 32" inseam 288 pounds should I go with a 22"?
    And will the wheels/frame/components support my weight for road and dirt path riding, non aggressive riding style until Im not so fat! I have been saving for the goblin for over a year and finally have enough to pull the trigger.

mtbr member

You're 6'5 with a 32" inseam? Might want to measure that again...

And yes, it will handle that type of riding just fine. The only thing that might be suspect is the seat, you might bend the rails if you put the seat too far back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ^ I'm 6 foot 6" 190 pounds and have a 34 inch seam. Its possible

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    had my wifey assist with a re measure this morning it's 34

mtbr member

You'd probably be best off with a 22", but it'd be a good idea to call airborne tomorrow and discuss it with them just to be sure

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Make sure you're measuring a cycling inseam too and not a pants inseam

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Make sure you're measuring a cycling inseam too and not a pants inseam
    Yep, taint to floor!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have been drooling over the Goblin, been looking
    at the website and the spec. over and over and over. I also will be getting one in the next few months, Cant wait, if the wait does not kill me the going to the website looking at all the bikes will..hehehe

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast