Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    hey guys, got my Goblin assembled. It took me back to the days in high school when I worked at a bike shop, and coming in after school and having a cool bike waiting to be assembled (not some low-end model). Cool! I noticed that the front brake takes quite a lot of squeeze to really provide much stopping power, and the Elixir 7 doesn't have contact point adjustment. Is it possible to adjust these at all to require less travel before engaging? I can pull the level back to the point of pinching my other fingers and not lock up the front wheel. I did adjust the position of the lever, but that doesn't affect the throw. It doesn't feel squishy, so I don't think it has air in it but I guess it is a possibility. This is my first dealing with hydraulic brakes so I am not quite sure what to expect either. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    well, after a bit of searching I found this:

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_d...etup-guide.pdf

The sram site only has page 1, but on page 2 of this guide it talks about advancing the pads. I did that and it did help a little, but I think I might need to bleed them still. I have more stopping power so it's good for now. I also found this site today:

BleedBicycles.com - Bleed Bicycles Cycling Products: Disc Brake Bleed Kits, fluids, brake pads and more!

You can get the bleeding kit for $17.95 without fluid (I already have some 5.1). Just wanted to share!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Have you made sure it's not the reach adjustment? The little knob between the lever and the bar.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    About to pull the trigger on a goblin and I noticed a coupon spot at checkout. Any coupon codes for us? I know this bike is already a great price but figured it never hurts to ask lol

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just placed my order for a 16" goblin. Now to wait at the mailbox lol.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your order!

We aren't running any specials for the Goblin, sorry.

You should get a tracking# in the next few days!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks Jeremy. The anticipation is killing me already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Had a good day on the Goblin yesterday. I started off the day with 20 miles on the road bike, which is a lot more miles than I have ridden in a LONG time. So I was already tired when I decided to pack up the Goblin and head out to Chestnut Ridge here in central OH. I hit the "easy" trail with my son on his BMX bike Saturday, and Sunday I decided I would go for the "difficult" one. It was brutal, mainly because I was tired and out of shape . I was still amazed at how slow the 29er can crrraaawwwwllll and not fall over. I also trail ride dirtbikes and can use the balance training, it was fantastic. The X7 shifts great, even under strain, and the 2x10 is also a great match to the 29" wheels. Just put 'er in low and shift the rear as necessary. Perfect. If I had to pick some nits I would say the grips are slippery when wet and the seat is hard, both of which are highly subjective and easily changed. No real complaints here. The Geax rubber was great in moderate mud and dirt, I was actually amazed at how it didn't break loose in some areas when I was really grunting on the top ring. The brakes are really strong now after my adjustments mentioned earlier, although the front squeaks sometimes so I need to look into that some more (apparently the Avids are known talkers). Overall great bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    After 110 miles in 2.5 months on my Goblin (50% on dirt), time for the review:

Overall, it was a big change to go from a 26 to a 29er. First off, this bike definitely flew on the trails the roots that would give me a rattle and slow me down hardly need a thought now. The seat took 50 mi to get used to certainly some numbness on 10+mi road rides but is OK now. Beyond getting used to that big front tire in tight turns, the fork is the biggest highlight. Love the Reba lock out feature as I easily go from dirt to road with an on-the-fly adjustment and have fun playing with the air pressure, lockout notches, and watching the red ring (instructions on ideal sag would have been nice). Clears obstacles and rocks with ease where I would have been nervous on my previous 26 Rockhopper. Im 60 with a 34 inseam and the 20 seemed big at first, but certainly better than my 19 on the roadstill getting used to on the tighter trail turns. I still have a nagging feeling that the 20 is still causing some of my discomfort on the trails vs. the 18would have loved to compare it somehow (19 are common, but not a lot of 18 at my LBSs).
    No doubt in my mind that the components are superior to bikes in the price range and the Gobiln is an overall value. In terms of what Id change on the Goblin: grips get slippery from rain, sweat, or post water bottle grab. The tire treads have not had enough grip in mud, loose dirt, and even wet road. Definitely lost that back wheel a few times and still have a bruised hip (that time was a tight turn on to a wet bridge made of railroad ties at 18mph). That said, with 50% of my miles on the road, Im not going to change and just need to better understand the limits. Ill also try a longer handlebar I find my pinkys are typically hanging off both on and offroad maybe a combined with a shorter stem to help turn that big front tire in the technical stuff.

I did have some issues in shipping and assembly. The box arrived with the rear screw guard popped out of the box and some scrapes on the RD. I was surprised to see there were no assembly instructions or even a link to a video or online PDF. It wasnt rocket science, but on my first ride my gears were a mess in the rear (chain got stuck behind cogs) and my toes were hitting the front tire on turns. Come to find out, the RD hangar was bent (and gears way off) and you needed to turn the tire/handle bars around (easy fix, but wasnt intuitive to me). Airborne was very cool about covering the $30 trip to the LBS for the RD adjustment and sent two RD hangars to replace. What no one can fix is the FD chain rub on my hardest 2 gears. Annoying when Im cruising and likely bent in the shipment as well. Had I purchased at an LBS, guarantee I would have forced them to fix that. Additionally, as mentioned in some other posts, my brake lines are rubbing off the paint in several areas: into both the frame (above the A in Airborne logo) and top of the fork (both sides). Looking for advice here I have little knowhow on shortening or crossing my brake lines as mentioned in previous posts plus, while that may help the fork rub, the frame rub would still occur. Airborne guys: is this only the paint rubbing off, or should I be worried about this eventually compromising the fork & frame quality? Help! Again, if I bought from my LBS, I would be having them address. Finally, the brakes got the turkey warble around 60 miles. After my first tune up @ 75mi, it has resided a little and only sounds off on the dirt vs. road braking. Again, if I bought from my LBS, I would be having them address. Additionally, there was mention of the bed-in instructions in the Avid manual, but awareness could have been improved with assembly instructions (assuming I did it properly).

In hindsight, the bike itself is an amazing ride, but Im not sold on the online/direct model. Ive got issues on my $1300 bike that I cant fix and have to live with (brake line rub, loud brakes, & FD rub). Worth the $300-400 savings? Im not sure at this point. Feedback welcomed, but thats my first 110 miles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjeffcampbell View Post
    After 110 miles in 2.5 months on my Goblin (50% on dirt), time for the review:

Overall, it was a big change to go from a 26 to a 29er. First off, this bike definitely flew on the trails the roots that would give me a rattle and slow me down hardly need a thought now. The seat took 50 mi to get used to certainly some numbness on 10+mi road rides but is OK now. Beyond getting used to that big front tire in tight turns, the fork is the biggest highlight. Love the Reba lock out feature as I easily go from dirt to road with an on-the-fly adjustment and have fun playing with the air pressure, lockout notches, and watching the red ring (instructions on ideal sag would have been nice). Clears obstacles and rocks with ease where I would have been nervous on my previous 26 Rockhopper. Im 60 with a 34 inseam and the 20 seemed big at first, but certainly better than my 19 on the roadstill getting used to on the tighter trail turns. I still have a nagging feeling that the 20 is still causing some of my discomfort on the trails vs. the 18would have loved to compare it somehow (19 are common, but not a lot of 18 at my LBSs).
    No doubt in my mind that the components are superior to bikes in the price range and the Gobiln is an overall value. In terms of what Id change on the Goblin: grips get slippery from rain, sweat, or post water bottle grab. The tire treads have not had enough grip in mud, loose dirt, and even wet road. Definitely lost that back wheel a few times and still have a bruised hip (that time was a tight turn on to a wet bridge made of railroad ties at 18mph). That said, with 50% of my miles on the road, Im not going to change and just need to better understand the limits. Ill also try a longer handlebar I find my pinkys are typically hanging off both on and offroad maybe a combined with a shorter stem to help turn that big front tire in the technical stuff.

I did have some issues in shipping and assembly. The box arrived with the rear screw guard popped out of the box and some scrapes on the RD. I was surprised to see there were no assembly instructions or even a link to a video or online PDF. It wasnt rocket science, but on my first ride my gears were a mess in the rear (chain got stuck behind cogs) and my toes were hitting the front tire on turns. Come to find out, the RD hangar was bent (and gears way off) and you needed to turn the tire/handle bars around (easy fix, but wasnt intuitive to me). Airborne was very cool about covering the $30 trip to the LBS for the RD adjustment and sent two RD hangars to replace. What no one can fix is the FD chain rub on my hardest 2 gears. Annoying when Im cruising and likely bent in the shipment as well. Had I purchased at an LBS, guarantee I would have forced them to fix that. Additionally, as mentioned in some other posts, my brake lines are rubbing off the paint in several areas: into both the frame (above the A in Airborne logo) and top of the fork (both sides). Looking for advice here I have little knowhow on shortening or crossing my brake lines as mentioned in previous posts plus, while that may help the fork rub, the frame rub would still occur. Airborne guys: is this only the paint rubbing off, or should I be worried about this eventually compromising the fork & frame quality? Help! Again, if I bought from my LBS, I would be having them address. Finally, the brakes got the turkey warble around 60 miles. After my first tune up @ 75mi, it has resided a little and only sounds off on the dirt vs. road braking. Again, if I bought from my LBS, I would be having them address. Additionally, there was mention of the bed-in instructions in the Avid manual, but awareness could have been improved with assembly instructions (assuming I did it properly).

In hindsight, the bike itself is an amazing ride, but Im not sold on the online/direct model. Ive got issues on my $1300 bike that I cant fix and have to live with (brake line rub, loud brakes, & FD rub). Worth the $300-400 savings? Im not sure at this point. Feedback welcomed, but thats my first 110 miles

Like man, I was away from bikes for decccccccades before I bought my Goblin so I spent lots of time on such places like utube to get a better understanding on how to maintain and tweak little problems on my bike. You should do the same. I thinks its important to learn how to do this stuff so you don't have to go to the LBS when the smallest thing comes up.

mtbr member
    And maybe an online bike purchase wasn't the best choice if you were riding around with the fork backwards ..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    And maybe an online bike purchase wasn't the best choice if you were riding around with the fork backwards ..
    Good point, but i'd chalk this more up to the 'kid at christmas' mentality of getting my new bike that was 95% assembled and just wanting to try it out asap. it was only 50 ft. Hope someone can learn from my mistake on this one!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I put black electrical tape on the fork and around the brake cables where it contacts the frame. I did this before I even took the bike for a first ride. Figured that was easier than shortening the cables right off the bat.

mtbr member
    Jeff,

I'm sorry you aren't happy with your purchase. Feel free to call us regarding your FD ajustment. More than likely its not bent. The angle of the FD may need to be adjusted slightly by loosening the 5mm mounting Allen bolt and turning the FD slightly so that the cage is more inline with the chain.

For the cable rub, this occurs on every bike. Many companies make clear protective decal sets in various sizes and shapes you can apply to the frame and fork. I purchased a sheet of 3M auto protectant that I cut to small sizes and use on my own bikes in areas where the cables rub.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

The White Jeff W

Re: New Airborne Goblin

In my experience the front derailleur is the hardest component to get set right. Sometimes it can be tough to get the rub out. Ive even resorted to bending the cage slightly to get that last little bit of clearance I needed.
    Spend some time playing with it and understand the adjustments and you'll have it dialed in np time
    No moss...

Airborne Flight Crew
    +1 on the 3m protective adhesive/sticker stuff. It's quite popular in these parts...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Hey, things break all the time. Its life dude.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_Federline View Post
    Hey, things break all the time. Its life dude.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2
    Well said, k-fed

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm happy...great ride, just sharing some unexpected challenges in hopes of advice and for others in a similar situation. 4/5 stars...so good, but not all unicorns and rainbows.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Is it normal for the wheels to be out of true (slightly but noticeably; definitely can hear uneven rubbing on brake pads) out of the box? Is it inadvisable to bed in the brakes before getting the wheels trued?

Also, this might show my lack of knowledge, but is there an advantage to the lack of a quick, tool-less way of adjusting the saddle height? All I see is an extra inconvenience that I haven't encountered on much cheaper bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Are the wheels and the brake rotors both out of true? It is possible to have either out of true without affecting the other. Out of true wheels wouldn't necessarily affect the rotors.

I would not bed the brakes if the rotors are not true. True them or replace them before bedding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm fairly certain the rotors are fine (I'll check again when I get access to the bike, which is a new Goblin, BTW; I'd be quite surprised if the rotors had issues).

This shouldn't mean that there can't be uneven contact between the pads and the rotors, right? Since this is what I observed, is it still a bad idea to ride the bike and use the brakes without taking care of the wheels first?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The first thing I would do is make sure the wheels are attached to the frame/fork straight.

Set the bike on the floor, open the quick release, let the wheel sit straight in the frame/fork, then close the quick release.

If the rotors are true, there should be enough room between the pads that the rotor should make only minimal contact with the pads. More than a little and the rotors need trued.

If the wheels are not true, it really shouldn't affect the brakes. Rotors should still be true even if the wheels are not.

mtbr member

Clearance granted for takeoff!!

After months and months of research, test riding bikes, and then doing more research - not to mention hounding the Mrs. - I will finally be able to pull the trigger on a new Goblin tonight! I am full of nervous anticipation as I can hardly contain myself!
    After comparing many bikes (I am such a dork that I made a geometry spreadsheet of every bike in my price range) I finally had it down to two bikes - The Scott Scale 950 and the Airborne Goblin - one local, one online. The specs on the Goblin is what truly sold me, the price point didn't hurt things either. I have read all the reviews on the bike and the company and I really couldn't be more impressed with how well Airborne conducts themselves with regards to customer service.
    I really only have one question - how long does it take to receive the bike after the order is placed? I know it is a loaded question, but I just need to prepare myself so I am not sitting like a 43 year-old kid waiting for Christmas morning in anxious anticipation.
    I CANNOT WAIT! It's almost time to retire my first bike! WOOHOO!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Good for you.

Enjoy it. Ride it. Get it dirty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If the bike is in stock it should take less than a week, at least in my experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by besjbo View Post
    Is it normal for the wheels to be out of true (slightly but noticeably; definitely can hear uneven rubbing on brake pads) out of the box? Is it inadvisable to bed in the brakes before getting the wheels trued?

Also, this might show my lack of knowledge, but is there an advantage to the lack of a quick, tool-less way of adjusting the saddle height? All I see is an extra inconvenience that I haven't encountered on much cheaper bikes.
    Check to be certain that your wheels are fully inserted in the drop-outs and the skewer is tight. If there is still a slight rub, the calipers may need to be adjusted slightly to be centered on the rotors.

On most higher end bikes, quick release seatpost clamps are not used. I personally consider them to be difficult for users to get completely tight and the saddle can move around. Ideally once you get the saddle at the proper height you shouldn't need to move it, and the seat post clamp with an allen bolt does a much better job at keeping it tight.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    After months and months of research, test riding bikes, and then doing more research - not to mention hounding the Mrs. - I will finally be able to pull the trigger on a new Goblin tonight! I am full of nervous anticipation as I can hardly contain myself!
    After comparing many bikes (I am such a dork that I made a geometry spreadsheet of every bike in my price range) I finally had it down to two bikes - The Scott Scale 950 and the Airborne Goblin - one local, one online. The specs on the Goblin is what truly sold me, the price point didn't hurt things either. I have read all the reviews on the bike and the company and I really couldn't be more impressed with how well Airborne conducts themselves with regards to customer service.
    I really only have one question - how long does it take to receive the bike after the order is placed? I know it is a loaded question, but I just need to prepare myself so I am not sitting like a 43 year-old kid waiting for Christmas morning in anxious anticipation.
    I CANNOT WAIT! It's almost time to retire my first bike! WOOHOO!
    Awesome, thanks for the order!

We normally ship bikes out within 2 working days of receiving the order. How long it takes to get to you house after that is dependant on where you live. We ship out of our warehouse in Cailfornia, so east coast is about 5-6 days for shipping, less if you live in the middle of the country or closer to California.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the order!

We normally ship bikes out within 2 working days of receiving the order. How long it takes to get to you house after that is dependant on where you live. We ship out of our warehouse in Cailfornia, so east coast is about 5-6 days for shipping, less if you live in the middle of the country or closer to California.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Thanks Jeremy! That Goblin will get a great home here in the Four Corners of New Mexico.
    I got home last night from work with a stupid grin on my face and the wife says to me, "Are you ready for the longest weekend of your life?" I gave a resounding no... she says I need to wait until MONDAY and get my paycheck... DOH! OK, cool, no worries. So, Monday it is. Looks like I will need to find some very, very long trails to go ride while I wait.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well, heres my first post! I ordered my Goblin last Friday and got it yesterday. Out of the box it looked great and went together great. I do have 2 complaints though, virtually no front brakes and the rear derailer was a twisted mess. I didnt notice until I jumped on it to go for my first ride and the chain got sucked behind the cassette. Other than that I really like this bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Just got back from a 7 mile ride, so far I really like it. What a huge improvement over my Talon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bad466 View Post
    Well, heres my first post! I ordered my Goblin last Friday and got it yesterday. Out of the box it looked great and went together great. I do have 2 complaints though, virtually no front brakes and the rear derailer was a twisted mess. I didnt notice until I jumped on it to go for my first ride and the chain got sucked behind the cassette. Other than that I really like this bike.
    I had issues with my front brakes too, look on the Sram/Avid site for information on advancing the brake pads. It made a difference on mine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
    I had issues with my front brakes too, look on the Sram/Avid site for information on advancing the brake pads. It made a difference on mine.
    I cant seem to find anything on their site about advancing the pads. Any chance you have a link?

mtbr member
    I found some good tech info for you bad466:
    Pad Advancement
    Elixir 7 Tech Manual
    And here is the link to all the SRAM Tech Manuals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I found some good tech info for you bad466:
    Pad Advancement
    Elixir 7 Tech Manual
    And here is the link to all the SRAM Tech Manuals.
    Thank you.

mtbr member

Finally got my 1X10 conversion done!

Running a 30t race face narrow wide chainring with the stock derailleur. I decided to keep the front derailleur on as a chain guide until I get a type 2. Love it so far! Perfect for the up and down Minnesota singletrack :thumbup:

One question though....is it possible to move the chainline more inward with bottom bracket spacers? It makes quite a ruckus when I'm on the big cog in back. Its not a huge issue, the chain line isn't THAT bad, but the sound is pretty annoying...so if it's possible to make it better with some $3 spacers I'll do it.

Another issue that's more of a big one:

This dust seal on my drive side keeps coming off and sliding down the spindle, which results in play in the cranks. How do I get this sucker to stay put??

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    not sure about bottom bracket spacers, but what about some spacers on the chain ring? I am guessing some washers and longer bolts might do the trick. Curious, why did you change to 1x10?

mtbr member
    I received my Goblin last night - such a purdy bike!! I got the bike together last night and realized the wheels were a little skewed as there was a significant tire wobble front and rear. At first I thought the rims were bent. I called Airborne and talked to Eric and he offered a 50 dollar wheel truing which really caught me off guard. I have read a lot about Airbornes customer service, it was nice to see it in action. I then let the air out of the tires to remove them and realized the tires on the rims were mounted kinda funky - almost like the bead on part of the tire was sitting deeper on the rim than the rest of the tire. Tonights goal is to remove the tires and rotate them to see if that helps with how they sit on the wheel.

I just called Eric back to say thanks - he recommended letting all the air out of the tires, use some dishsoap and water around the beads on both sides and inflate the tires to 60-70psi. He said that should pop the bead true. NICE! I am way too excited to ride this bike!
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 08-14-2013 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Update

mtbr member
    I received my Goblin last night - such a purdy bike!! I got the bike together last night and realized the wheels were a little skewed as there was a significant tire wobble front and rear. At first I thought the rims were bent. I called Airborne and talked to Eric and he offered a 50 dollar wheel truing which really caught me off guard. I have read a lot about Airbornes customer service, it was nice to see it in action. I then let the air out of the tires to remove them and realized the tires on the rims were mounted kinda funky - almost like the bead on part of the tire was sitting deeper on the rim than the rest of the tire. Tonights goal is to remove the tires and rotate them to see if that helps with how they sit on the wheel.

I just called Eric back to say thanks - he recommended letting all the air out of the tires, use some dishsoap and water around the beads on both sides and inflate the tires to 60-70psi. He said that should pop the bead true. NICE! I am way too excited to ride this bike!

Have you tried over-inflating them to get the bead to pop and seat? Sometimes that's all it takes. If that doesn't work, putting a little soap/detergent on the bead then over-inflating should work.

You shouldn't need to do any rotating.

Good luck!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Sorry, I replied before you edited your post. Sounds like you are on it.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    No worries Jeremy, thank you for the input! It just goes to show that customer service is alive and well!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I recommend that you NOT put sealant in the tires until AFTER you can get them to set up tubeless first. The sealant is for sealing punctures, not to assist with tubeless setup.

Having said that, some tire/wheel combinations will slow leak air if you do not use sealant. This is the case with my current setup. I was able to hook up the tires with no problems, but next morning.....flat. Added sealant and have had no problems since.

I would also recommend that you remove the valve stem core from your presta valves the first time. This will allow more air to get in more quickly.

Once you get the bead to pop onto the wheel then you can add sealant (even through the valve stem if you choose) and replace the valve stem core.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
    not sure about bottom bracket spacers, but what about some spacers on the chain ring? I am guessing some washers and longer bolts might do the trick. Curious, why did you change to 1x10?
    I got some 2.5 mm spacers to put in between the BB cups and frame. That should keep that dust seal from coming out and also move the chainring in a bit. Seems to me there should've been spacers there in the first place when putting a 73mm crank in a 68mm shell....

And I decided to go 1x10 because I live in an area that's pretty flat, wanted to drop a little weight, and I already pretty much paid for the conversion by selling my shifter and FD. In my 2x10 set up I very rarely used the bottom 2 gears and didn't even touch the top 3 except for on the road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    I recommend that you NOT put sealant in the tires until AFTER you can get them to set up tubeless first. The sealant is for sealing punctures, not to assist with tubeless setup.

Having said that, some tire/wheel combinations will slow leak air if you do not use sealant. This is the case with my current setup. I was able to hook up the tires with no problems, but next morning.....flat. Added sealant and have had no problems since.

I would also recommend that you remove the valve stem core from your presta valves the first time. This will allow more air to get in more quickly.

Once you get the bead to pop onto the wheel then you can add sealant (even through the valve stem if you choose) and replace the valve stem core.
    Will the WTB's on the new Goblins go tubeless? It would be my first venture into doing something like that, and can't find much information on if those wheels can go tubeless or not. I carry cheap tubes with me, and don't worry much about using slime as changing tubes isn't a big deal to me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I've seen a couple people run the stock wheels tubeless (probably set up ghetto).

I just upgraded to a nicer wheel set on my goblin abd the difference is amazing.

If you don't get flats that often, I wouldn't bother with converting to tubeless unless you just want to experiment.

I should mention that I am set-up tubeless and love it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I recommend that everyone go tubeless, even if you rarely get flats.

On Saturday, I was riding with a group. We stopped for a break. I looked down at my tire and there was a large staple - like a roofing staple - embedded in my rear tire.

I took it out and the hiss began. Turned the wheel so the puncture was down and the sealant could start to work. Eventually, the sealant took hold and the puncture sealed.

Note - this was a large puncture because the staple was so big. So it takes longer for the sealant to work. But for goat head thorns, small nails, etc. it works much faster.

Rode a few more miles at the trail and then rode the 4.5 miles back to my house.

Tubeless is great.

mtbr member
    Something to give a shot in the future.

Countdown to first shake-down ride is at T-Minus 2 hours 14 minutes... I have the bike right next to my desk which I am sure is not helping matters.

mtbr member
    I had my first ride/shake-down last night and the ride was absolutely phenominal. Hands down, the BEST purchase I have ever made!

Airborne at 6077 feet!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sweet!

In my opinion, the original Goblin got things started for Airborne.

The new Goblin is where Airborne turned the corner to not just good, but great bikes.

Your Goblin looks great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Goblin resting in its natural habitat!

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast