mtbr member

Need to service Quanta rear hub...

...as I am starting to get some irregular noise from it. Has anyone taken these hubs apart for servicing? I am having a very hard time finding any real information out there, so any help to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated!
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My rear hub is making noise too. It only has 200ish miles on it. I'm just going to take mine to a shop since I don't know much about the hubs yet. I'm interested to see what you find.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I've had mine apart. First the caps had to come off using some Allen wrenches. Then I used a rubber mallet to tap the axle out which also presses the far bearing out as well. Then I used a large bolt (if I remember right) to tap out the other bearing.

Since I had mine apart for a broken axle, I didn't have to find replacement bearings. So I can't help you there. But once you have it apart, it is fairly simple.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Incidentally if you find you also have a broken axle (unlikely although your bike has seen its fair share of wrecks), when/if you replace it with the cro-mo version, be sure that the little spacer that rides on the stock aluminum axle has come out before you install the new axle. The cro-mo ones are machined so that they don't require the spacer.

Airborne Product Dude
    Sometimes rear "hub noise" is from other things. First thing to check is the rear skewer. Sometimes they can get noisy. Then next check the cassette to ensure the lock-ring bolt is tight.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    I've had mine apart. First the caps had to come off using some Allen wrenches. Then I used a rubber mallet to tap the axle out which also presses the far bearing out as well. Then I used a large bolt (if I remember right) to tap out the other bearing.

Since I had mine apart for a broken axle, I didn't have to find replacement bearings. So I can't help you there. But once you have it apart, it is fairly simple.
    When you tapped out the axle, was it toward the non-drive side?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Incidentally if you find you also have a broken axle (unlikely although your bike has seen its fair share of wrecks), when/if you replace it with the cro-mo version, be sure that the little spacer that rides on the stock aluminum axle has come out before you install the new axle. The cro-mo ones are machined so that they don't require the spacer.
    Good to know Mike! And yes, I have had my fair share of wrecks... so that is another reason to check the hub/axle. I am still really new to the sport, and I am a hard learner!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Sometimes rear "hub noise" is from other things. First thing to check is the rear skewer. Sometimes they can get noisy. Then next check the cassette to ensure the lock-ring bolt is tight.
    Jeremy
    Check and check - I will take the wheel off tonight to check the cassette lock-ring as I just added the OneUp 16T last week, and double check the skewer.

Post edit - mileage since August purchase is 1250 miles - not sure if that is another good reason or not to tear into the hub...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    When you tapped out the axle, was it toward the non-drive side?
    I wish I remember that for sure, but my recollection is that it doesn't matter.

mtbr member
    I got the axle out, but it took a bit more than a tapping (yikes!). Axle is fine, bearings are in great shape, so I put it all back together and the noise that I was hearing went away. I couldn't get a chro-mo replacement in town here, so I will have to order one off the net instead for the next time I decide to take it apart.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    I got the axle out, but it took a bit more than a tapping (yikes!). Axle is fine, bearings are in great shape, so I put it all back together and the noise that I was hearing went away. I couldn't get a chro-mo replacement in town here, so I will have to order one off the net instead for the next time I decide to take it apart.
    Glad it was probably just a grease and torque issue!
    Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Glad to hear that everything's fine.

Give Airborne a call. They had them in stock when I did mine.

As for my use of the term 'tapping'...well, OK, somewhere between tapping and pounding That first time I was kind of nervous too.

Airborne Product Dude
    The cro-mo axles are warranty stock we have are for any warranty issues that may arise. We don't carry them for sale to the general public, sorry.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    All I need to tackle now is a fork rebuild!