mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Need help with Guardian fork upgrade

Having had my guardian 2.0 for a few months I think i'm ready for a fork upgrade. Im looking for something beefier with larger diameter stanchions as I can feel the fork flex under my weight (240lbs). And I generally feel that there is some play in the seals likely due to a few over the bars incidents.. I hear a lot about the reba. Any other suggestions around $500-$600? If I get the reba what specific specs should I make sure the fork has to ensure that I won't have any fitment issues? Such as maxle size? I'm not to familiar with most of the technical dimensions outside of knowing not to get a tapered fork. Also would most go with the 100 or increase to 120 travel? And when I hear about forks being cut, how is the amount cut determined and is it needed in all cases or can spacers be used instead? Thanks

Airborne Product Dude
    I'm a big fan of the Reba, and also in that range (if you sre shopping smsrt) is the Manitou Tower Pro.

Unless you are getting a new wheelset designed for thru-axle, you'll need a firk with a standard QR format. Also non-tapered as you mentioned.

We recommend against increasing to 120mm as the frame wasn't tested to that. It will probably be OK but that would void the frame warranty.

For the steer tube length, the easiest way to do it is measure your existing fork steer tube length and mark it on the new one then cut. An uncut fork will be waaay too long to make up the excess with spacers snd would be a bit of a hazard sticking up that high above the stem.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member

Need help with Guardian fork upgrade

I got a used (but rebuild by Push) Reba with a 20 mm maxle for $200 on eBay. Sold my old Reba to a guy on here with a Guardian. He said its a great upgrade. Shop around and see what you can find.

Follow Jeremy's advice so you get the right fork. You'll need to stay with 9 mm QR unless you upgrade your front wheel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Price Point has been selling the Manitou Tower Pro for $250 for the last month or so. Manitou Tower Pro 29er Fork | Manitou | Brand | www.PricePoint.com Crazy thing is, the Marvel Pro is the same price (it only come through-axle with tapered steerer though). I don't need one right now, but at that price I'm temped to buy one just cuz. Weight-wise, it is between the Recon Gold and the Reba. Performance-wise, I would place it right up with these two as well. Some even prefer it.

The only thing is, the only 100mm Tower Pro they have in stock is tapered. Non-tapered steer tube models are only available in 80mm and 120mm.

Jeremy is there any way to adapt to a tapered steer tube? I've heard it can be done with a zero stack.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeinMinn View Post
    Price Point has been selling the Manitou Tower Pro for $250 for the last month or so. Manitou Tower Pro 29er Fork | Manitou | Brand | www.PricePoint.com Crazy thing is, the Marvel Pro is the same price (it only come through-axle with tapered steerer though). I don't need one right now, but at that price I'm temped to buy one just cuz. Weight-wise, it is between the Recon Gold and the Reba. Performance-wise, I would place it right up with these two as well. Some even prefer it.

The only thing is, the only 100mm Tower Pro they have in stock is tapered. Non-tapered steer tube models are only available in 80mm and 120mm.

Jeremy is there any way to adapt to a tapered steer tube? I've heard it can be done with a zero stack.
    Wow I'd go that route in a heart beat if the 100 was available. The guardian did come with a 80mm fork. Do I retain the warranty if going that route? Considering the frames are the same no? Or is the 100mm fork that much better?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well, I'm not the guy to go to on warranty stuff, but I don't see any reason why there would be any warranty issues.

Are you referring to Airborne's warranty? If so, they're pretty much just on the hook for the frame anyway since most of the rest of the parts are covered by their respective manufacturers. I can't see why warranty would be any issue at all.

The 100mm is just longer with 20mm more travel. So it can be set up to sop up a bump with more possible length = a little smoother.

Even an 80mm Tower Pro is a far better, far lighter fork than the one you have. But if the $$ are really burning a ragged hole, you can get the 100mm tapered version and a new Goblin frame for the $500 you anticipated.

It's just too bad because the non tapered 100mm Tower just sold out recently.

Edit: Just noticed that the Marvel Pro that I mentioned earlier is for a 26er. Oops. Oh well. Doesn't change the deal on the TowerPro which is definitely for a 29er.
    Last edited by MikeinMinn; 12-31-2013 at 06:18 PM.

Airborne Product Dude
    I believe there is but IIRC it will raise the front end since it uses an external cup on the bottom for the larger OD instead of on the inside.
    Airborne Dude.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by lilbabykenny View Post
    Wow I'd go that route in a heart beat if the 100 was available. The guardian did come with a 80mm fork. Do I retain the warranty if going that route? Considering the frames are the same no? Or is the 100mm fork that much better?
    You would be OK going from a 100 to an 80, but you may not be happy with the slightly quicker steering and slightly lower BB.

Forgive me since I'm not a Manitou expert, but can they be changed to 100mm as easily as the Reba by removing an internal spacer or two? I've done this several times on Reba's and its easy, but haven't had a current Manitou fork apart.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Jeremy, does the Reba on the goblin have spacers in it that can be removed to gain 10-20mm? Or is it just for the 80mm forks?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor_b View Post
    Jeremy, does the Reba on the goblin have spacers in it that can be removed to gain 10-20mm? Or is it just for the 80mm forks?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I'm not certain if the 100mm Reba has the extra spacers in it like the 80mm spec one does. I've had a few apart for cleaning/rebuilds but frankly can't recall if they do or not..................

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    There are a few videos out there for converting non-tapered headtubes for use with tapered forks. Here is one example: Tapered Fork on a non-Tapered headtube install - YouTube

Otherwise it may be worthwhile for the OP to contact Manitou about whether spacers can be removed for more travel.
    Last edited by MikeinMinn; 01-02-2014 at 07:11 AM. Reason: clarification

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    There are a few videos out there for converting non-tapered headtubes for use with tapered forks. Here is one example: Tapered Fork on a non-Tapered headtube install - YouTube

Otherwise it may be worthwhile to contact Manitou about whether spacers can be removed for more travel.
    Ya im gonna try to dig up some info on converting the 80mm fork to 100