mtbr member

Need help on basic maintenance and checkups

So, I know YouTube and everything is going to be the place to go, but I wanted more of a concrete answer. I've been riding the hell out of my bike on some technical trails (I can probably upload a go pro video someday), and after my day of riding, either my wheel or crank has been making a slight scratching sound.

What I would like to know is a way to get through a basic maintenance of my bike meaning going through the bike to see where I can diagnose where the problem is. I'm tired of dishing out $50 for a tune up at the LBS. I've learned how to basically tune my front and rear ders but I feel like I need to know how to spot what I need to maintain

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Take off chain and independently spin both to isolate scratching sound.

Check ur wheels for True and measure your chain wear while ur at it. Both some basic maintenance u could do.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

NeedGod.com
    I heard a similar sound out of my bike when it was new. But I never could figure out what it was and eventually it just went away. It only made the sound when I was riding it, not when I had it on the repair stand, so....yeah. Oh well.

Other than that, I'd just make sure everything is well lubed and no parts are rubbing. If you're ok there, I can't imagine the bike getting damaged due to the sound.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Bob 13 has good advice to isolate the problem. Sound while wheel turns is probable brake rubbing rotor. Try to re-center brake pads. Sound while pedals turn is possible pedal bearings or likely bottom bracket. You could remove bottom bracket, regrease threads, and re-install. Hope that helps,