Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

My brand new SEEKER!

Well folks....today was the day!

The Fedex truck pulled to my house right at 9am. It could only mean one thing. My brand new ride was finally here. Talk about feeling like a kid again on Christmas morning

The box was in order and just calling my name to open it up.

I did everything that I could do myself. I removed all protective packing and then installed the seat/post, handlebars and front wheel.

Now on to the tuning part...I previously called about 5-6 different local shops to get a feel on what it was going to cost me to have everything looked over and adjusted. One local shop wanted $125 and 4 days because I didn't buy the bike from them. I go a lot on feel and the best feeling I got was from Scott at Atlanta Bike Tech. I passed about 5 bike shops while traveling to his place if that tells you anything. He charged me $40 and went through it with a fine tooth comb while I waited. I got to hang out while he did it, shoot the breeze and learn a ton about my new bike and all it's inner workings. He is awesome and I can guarantee you I will never take my bike anywhere else!

While going through it he did find one thing that seemed to puzzled him. He said it's not going to break off but that I should ask someone about it. On the right crank (business side) it doesn't completely seat in the housing leaving about a 10mm gap! Everything seems to be lined up correctly but he wanted me to ask if this by design. Any thoughts on this? See pictures below! The first one is a little blurry but the second one shows it well...

And here is the finished product...all tuned up and ready to hit the trail. I bought some cheap $10 pedals, a seat pack, patch kit, spare tube and CO2 inflation kit...Scott threw in a water bottle and tire lever too!

I rode it around the shop and then up the street a few times as soon as I got home. This baby is sweet...shifts great, stops great and looks amazing. Hopefully I will find the pedals I want soon and then maybe some Vans or 5.10's.

I will be going to the trails in a few hours to see what this baby can do.

THANKS AIRBORNE for making a killer bike at an affordable price!

Happy Riding Everyone!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Very Cool!

Great looking bike. Enjoy it and get her dirty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Great for you!!

Thx for the pics. Some of the first we've seen from someone's personal Seeker.

Ride it tons.

MTB B'dos
    Did you try whacking the drive side crank with a rubber mallet to see if it would go in further - just curious? I've seen the newer press fit BB like this and they normally will have a hard plastic spacer, but can't say I recall seeing any of the older external threaded ones like that. I'd definitely be contacting Airborne just to be on the safe side.

Quote Originally Posted by GATroutBum View Post
    Well folks....today was the day!..............While going through it he did find one thing that seemed to puzzled him. He said it's not going to break off but that I should ask someone about it. On the right crank (business side) it doesn't completely seat in the housing leaving about a 10mm gap! Everything seems to be lined up correctly but he wanted me to ask if this by design. Any thoughts on this? See pictures below! The first one is a little blurry but the second one shows it well...

I will be going to the trails in a few hours to see what this baby can do.

THANKS AIRBORNE for making a killer bike at an affordable price!

Happy Riding Everyone!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Did you try whacking the drive side crank with a rubber mallet to see if it would go in further - just curious? I've seen the newer press fit BB like this and they normally will have a hard plastic spacer, but can't say I recall seeing any of the older external threaded ones like that. I'd definitely be contacting Airborne just to be on the safe side.
    He did try that but it didn't go in any further. I was wondering if there was some sort of spacer missing.
    I'll definitely call Airborne on Monday to see what they say!

mtbr member

My brand new SEEKER!

The only spacers I have seen on these, and my Goblin has them, go between the frame and the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Wink 1st trail ride today

Due to the heavy rain last night I had to postpone my 1st trail ride until today. My 10yo son and I hit the trail about 9:30 this morning and got a 2 hour ride in. Let me tell you that I love this bike and it performed perfectly...few things I'd like to change....

1. Seat:
    My gooch bone is sore as can be. I will definitely be changing the seat and investing in some padded riding shorts...any suggestions?

2. Stem length:
    I'm 6'2.5" and 225-230lbs and I went with a 20" frame. I do believe I chose the right frame over the 22" but as Jeremy suggested, I may want to change the stem to a shorter one. I feel to stretched out as my arms don't have enough bend in them....any suggestions?

3. Tire pressure. I rode at about 50' psi in the rear which seemed about perfect. Tried riding at 40psi but it felt like I was riding on a flat. Is this normal dor my weight?

Overall I'm super impressed with my purchase and can't wait till I hit the trail again. I even received 2 compliments on my Seeker. One from the 1st aid trail rider, who has been eyeing a goblin, and another one from a guy at the bike wash station

mtbr member

My brand new SEEKER!

I'm 235 and I run around 30 to 35 psi. Usually 5 more in the rear than the front. I also put a 100 mm stem on my bike.

mtbr member
    I'm 225 and I run 35lbs. 50 is quite high.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2.5" and about 215-220lbs and I went with the 22" frame, the bike feels great to me.

But yeah, the seat does kill, it's not made for long distance rides, get some padded shorts and a more padded seat.

mtbr member
    My choice for butt comfort: WTB Speed V Progel and MTB shorts (Pearl Izumi Canyon shorts are popular; I use them).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zzaapp View Post
    I'm 6'2.5" and about 215-220lbs and I went with the 22" frame, the bike feels great to me.

But yeah, the seat does kill, it's not made for long distance rides, get some padded shorts and a more padded seat.
    Yeah I picked up some riding shorts today with attached padded liner so I will give it a go. I've talked about the seat and soreness with a few folks and the common denominator is that I need to "cowboy up" and ride through it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    I'm 235 and I run around 30 to 35 psi. Usually 5 more in the rear than the front. I also put a 100 mm stem on my bike.
    I will try it again with lower pressure. It just doesn't feel right but what do I know. It almost felt like I would pop a tire that way it was riding.

As far as the stem, I will move my seat up for the next few rides and see how that feels. I'm thinking I may need to drop down to a 90mm stem. On the bright side, there are so sweet looking orange stems out there!

mtbr member
    ^ That's pretty much it, you will adapt. However, I definitely did not like the seat my bike came with but that's a personal thing. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    OMG! That sure is one gorgeous bike dude!

I weigh 215 Lbs and I only use 25psi on my Airborne Bike. My bike does have slightly larger volume tires (26x2.3"), and I do weigh a bit less so I can get away with such a low number.

Too much pressure in your tires will make your ride extremely harsh and will hurt your posterior. You will probably even loosen up your spokes and bend the rear wheel. Even at 225 - 230 Lbs, 50psi is too high. At this pressure you will feel every tiny little bump, pebble, and twig on the trail. MTB tires work best at lower pressures. These low pressures work like a sort of suspension and soak up the small chop from the ride.

Ride them at 40psi for a while and then try 30 and 35psi to see if it is OK for you. If the tire looses air at one of the lowest numbers then you bump the pressure up a bit.

Before buying a new shorter stem, slide the seal all the way forward to see if you like that better. Most Airborne bikes come with offset seat posts, so sliding seat all the way forward is not a problem.

I always wear gel padded riding shorts. It helps quite a bit. Besides that, I also use lightly padded leather gloves, and ESI Extra Chunky MTB Grips (large soft cushy foam grips) that are much more comfortable than the small hard grips supplied by Airborne.

Maybe you need to also adjust your riding style a bit too. When the trail gets rough and bumpy, you do need to get off the seat, stay loose, and not have a death grip on your handlebars. That way can use your legs and the rest of your body as a suspension. This is true with all bikes including those with a rear suspension.
    Last edited by blundar; 08-12-2013 at 02:18 PM.

Airborne Flight Crew
    ^^^^^
    Saddle fore/aft adjustments and longer shorter stems are not necessarily addressing the same thing:

While sliding ones seat all the way forward might in effect "bring the bars closer" it changes your position relative to the cranks, and this might not be a good thing. Especially if one feels like they are too far over the front end - sliding the seat forward puts the center of gravity even more forward - exacerbating the original issue.

Putting on a shorter stem helps get you backwards a bit, while keeping in proper alignment above the cranks.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If a rider is leaning forward too much, arms are too straight, and putting too much weight their hands; The first thing that I always check is the height of the seat. For MTB it is normally set a bit lower than for road bikes.

The second thing that I check is the offset seat post. If your seat is too far back in relation to your cranks, usually you will also feel some discomfort on your knees when climbing steep hills. I usually drop a plumb bob from the front of the knee down to the pedal's pivot for the proper measurement. Saddle fore/aft adjustment can sometimes be a quick fix. Offset seat posts are how many manufacturers compensate for tall riders with long legs on a shorter framed bike. Unfortunately, some manufacturers use offset seat posts on all their frames (including smalls) so that they only have to carry 1 kind of seat post in their inventory.

The third thing that I check is length of the stem. A shorter or longer stem is good to adjust after everything else has been "dialed in".

Most bikes are sized for the average proportioned rider. Some riders (like me) have a long torso and short legs and arms. For us a zero offset seat post, a shorter stem, and a raised up set of spacers under the stem is the best fit. For long legged and long armed riders the opposite is true.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the insight guys! I will try the seat adjustment, both down and forward, and sec if that changes the feel of being "stretched out". I do think I will probably swap out my stem to shorten it up a little and move the cockpit in. If I do, it will probably be an orange 90-100mm straightline which will add some serious bling!

I will try the lower pressure in the trail as I wasn't aware that you actually want that much flex. Is it common to run more a higher PSI up front?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    On a hard tail you can run slightly lower pressure on the back. That is so it will be more of a "suspension" because there is no shock on the back to absorb the bumps.

I usually run the same pressures both front and back. Just easier for me to set it that way. At the low pressures that MTB's use, it is actually a lot more important to check the pressures almost every time before you ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Any prognosis on the 10mm gap on the crank? Is it supposed to be that way? Can (or does) dirt or road grime build up in the gap? Do other Seekers have that gap?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Teletodd, I just checked my seeker and I do have a small gap between the crank arm and the BB nut, but not as wide. On the other hand, neither of the BB nuts on both sides of the crank are torqued down as far as the one pictured above.

My brand new SEEKER!-img_0755.jpg

My brand new SEEKER!-img_0757.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    PaveLow,

I think the reason the gap on yours is smaller is because the op is missing the 2.5mm spacers that were left off some of the bikes. In between the frame and bb.

Mine has a gap between the crank and bb also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Just so I understand, are those 2.5mm spacers are in the frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    No, in both your pics the spacer is the thin piece between the bb nut and frame. In the op's pictures those spacers are not there. Mine was missing them too and is now in the shop for the install.
    Last edited by Endless90; 09-27-2013 at 02:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks for the clearing that up! Good to know it was assembled correctly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast