mtbr member

Is my brake oil leaking? Unaligned rotor/brake combo?

I'm posting this after I already posted in the Brakes section but not many people visit that section haha.

So about a couple weeks ago, my brake pads were contaminated so I cleaned them up using isopropyl alcohol and it seemed to have gotten rid of my horse-like squeal noise coming from my rear brakes.

Today, I went out to ride and after the end of my ride, I could hear the wretched sound coming again. It's not as severe as the first time, but it wasn't this bad when I cleaned up the pads.

What I'm wondering is: is my brake fluid leaking in the rear cable that's attached to my brakes? (See picture) This picture is after my ride before I cleaned this black stuff off my brakes (after I washed my hands)

Second question: How do I tell if my rotor + brake combo is unaligned? The rotor does not spin wobbly, but I noticed that some of the metal that is close to the rotor has scraped off!

scraped off metal where the letter "W" is:

my alignment on rear rotor + brake (is this because the angle of the photo sucks? the more I look at the rotor from any angle in person, it looks unaligned!):

my front rotor + brake seems aligned. you can see the spacing barely:

Thanks for the help. I've been getting into maintaining my bike to make less frequent visits to the LBS, but if it's something I can't handle, I don't mind taking it to the LBS.

I'm not sure if I want to go ahead and do this (and if it's even necessary at this point), but I was going to loosen my rear brake caliper, turn the wheel, squeeze the brakes, and then tighten the two bolts.

Airborne Product Dude
    It's doubtful that your fluid is leaking. If it was, more-than-likely you would have a bigger mess and the lever would be pulling all the way to the grip with little result (because the system would be losing pressure and fluid).

Looks like the mess on there is general dirt and brake dust from what I can tell. That's normal.

Photos of rotor alignment are always difficult to look at as you are never certain the camera is aligned in the proper plane to illustrate the alignment. If the rotor is rubbing the pads during roation you should be able to hear it. Do you hear a rub? If it is rubbing then you can re-align the caliper with the rotor with the method you described above.

If it's not rubbing and the brakes stop well I wouldn't be too concerned about the noise. Disc brake noise unfortunately tends to be a common thing due to a lot of different factors..............the most likely one being contamination: Trail debris, dirt, mud, leaves, cleaning agents, small pebbles, rodent bones, you name it.

Hope that makes sense!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

MTB Fanatic
    Try taking out your pads and putting them in the toaster oven or oven for 30 min on 350 degrees. While they're baking, clean your rotors with the alcohol. Make sure you wear latex gloves. I've noticed even if someone just touches the rotor, the oil causes lack of performance and noise. When you reinstall your pads, wear the gloves.

Then just ride. As long as stopping power is ok, you should be fine.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think i ruined my rear brake pads last week when i went crazy lubing my chain and casett last week. Some oil must have ended up on the rear pads because i get no rear braking at all but the lever still feels fine.

do you think i should try this oven baking trick or just replace them?

mtbr member
    I just say replace them. $10-$12 for the pads and you don't have to do anything crazy.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Where did you buy them from?

mtbr member
    I got these Amazon.com: Disc Pads Tektro E10.11 Hydro Auriga/draco/aquila: Sports & Outdoors but I believe you can buy different ones that are the exact same pads for cheaper, but I couldn't find any.