mtbr member

My Airborne has been grounded...

I went out to Alien Run today - finally a clear day, with no rain. It was muddy as all get out, but I didn't care. That is, until my BB started making noise on every pedal stroke. So, annoyed, I took the short 6 mile loop and headed home to take my BB apart for the first time. The non-drive side came out with ease, but the drive side was stuck. I am not sure what they tightened down the drive side with, but it took everything I had and then some, just to get it out. I know now why it was making noise, the BB is completely stripped out, and the threads on the bike are just as messed up. Now I cannot put my bike back together for the lack of threads on the frame!!
    Here are some pictures of the bike and BB....

My Airborne has been grounded...-dscn0092.jpgMy Airborne has been grounded...-dscn0090.jpgMy Airborne has been grounded...-dscn0089.jpg
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 09-14-2013 at 02:19 PM.
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    You knew that the drive side is reverse threaded right...?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Yes, I am aware of that, just like the pedals. Believe me, I was scratching my head for 15 minutes trying to figure out why it would not back out. There are arrow indicators on the cups, so it is obvious which way the cup backs out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That stinks. I truly feel for you.

Hopefully, there will be a good resolution to this issue for you.

Sorry that this happened.

mtbr member

Re: My Airborne has been grounded...

Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Yes, I am aware of that, just like the pedals. Believe me, I was scratching my head for 15 minutes trying to figure out why it would not back out. There are arrow indicators on the cups, so it is obvious which way the cup backs out.
    Just making sure it wasn't a silly mistake! That's a real bummer man, sorry that happened. I wonder if it was over torqued at the factory?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Thanks Jeff - I hate this, but I have faith in Airborne, that is why I bought the Goblin.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Just making sure it wasn't a silly mistake! That's a real bummer man, sorry that happened. I wonder if it was over torqued at the factory?
    That is my question as well, perhaps it wasn't lined up correctly when they first ran it in... who knows.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm betting Airborne will take care of you, but it still stinks to not be able to ride for a while.

I can only assume that the BB was not installed properly to begin with.

Airborne Product Dude
    Please contact Eric directly on Monday at 800-888-bike. Sorry for the trouble, we'd appreciate you contacting use directly with any problems you have and we'll do our best to work with you to resolve, thanks.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Thank you BDF - I appreciate that, I just needed to vent. As far as not being able to ride, I still have my Giant that I can go ride on, but I will admit, that Goblin has me spoiled!

The main reason for this thread is for everyone to lube their BB. There is NO grease on the BB in stock form. I think if lube were applied to both contact sides on assembly, there wouldn't be an issue. If you look on the non-drive side, you will see the first few threads are stripped there as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    [QUOTE=s0ul_chicken;10678661]...There is NO grease on the BB in stock form.../QUOTE]

Were the bearings greased?

mtbr member
    The bearings are greased, as well as the crankset - it is dry between the frame and the BB cup. Taking apart the crankset was very easy since you only need your 8mm to do so. Having grease on any metal to metal contact is always a good idea, especially if you want/need to disassemble it in the future.

Rogue Exterminator
    It appears it was cross threaded and forced in.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    All is well in the world, Eric at Airborne was SUPER helpful. What shocked me is he even offered to fully replace the bike! I told him that I already had the frame stripped down, so he offered up a Silver frame shown on the website. Good enough for me! I thought it was cool to have a bike that no-one around here had, and to have one with the silver frame is an even bigger bonus for me.

Thank you again Eric and Jeremy - I truly appreciate your help!

mtbr member
    Silver Goblins FTW!

mtbr member
    Great looking Goblin Krazy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Airborne handling customer service issues like this is what really alleviates any fear of buying online from them. I love the fact that an American company knows what is important to customers. I'm sure it gets tough for them at times, but I implore them to please stay with this method of doing business.

Well done, Airborne.

mtbr member
    Agreed, it cannot be easy at times, and I am sure I didn't help things much as I was in a panic. It is tough when the new toys break!!

When all is said and done, Airborne has won a customer for life, and I tell everyone I know.

A HUGE thanks to Jeremy and Eric!