Resident Gear Head

MTBR Hobgoblin review

2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

Airborne Flight Crew
    Not so sure about his "trail bike" comment, among other things. If you climb hills with bumps, it's much better to leave the rear shock active so that awesome suspension will do its job
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Nice write-up! I have yet to try a full suspension system, but if I do, it will be the HobGoblin for sure.
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    I've had mine for a couple weeks now and I'm loving it! The suspension is active and I feel like it climbs like a billy goat. The travel feels deep, I haven't had any issues with bottoming out. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'3" 230lbs on a 21", it fits perfectly. Like was mentioned in the review the bars do seem narrow, but I suppose that's a personal fit issue. As for the Geax, ill probably be swapping out the front for something a bit wider with a more aggressive tread as it washes out on me sometimes. Again you mileage may vary. Overall I'm super pleased with the Hobgoblin and it makes me smile every time I walked past it in the garage or throw my leg over it for a ride and I think that's what it all about, fun!

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Not so sure about his "trail bike" comment, among other things. If you climb hills with bumps, it's much better to leave the rear shock active so that awesome suspension will do its job
    IMHO, 30% sag is WAY too much on an XC rig. I personally set mine up at 20% and almost never lock the rear shock out, with pedal bob being at a minimum.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

NeedGod.com
    I've seen better write-ups from posts here in this forum, but pictures are great. The biggest draw of the HG for me is that is can be used for an XC trail or a mountain trail. It's in my top 3 for when I finally go FS.
    Nathan

Resident Gear Head
    It will be my number one choice, just hope I can afford it by next summer.
    2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

NeedGod.com
    I find it interesting that the HG is noted as a bike for the "budget-minded." I think that says a lot of about the cycling industry when a $1700 bike is considered to be a budget bike.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've had my Guardian for over a year and I LOVE it. Thanks, Airborne, for making and selling bikes that are affordable but still excellent quality. And thanks for bucking the status quo of ridiculously priced bikes so that people like me can ride in style!
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    I find it interesting that the HG is noted as a bike for the "budget-minded." I think that says a lot of about the cycling industry when a $1700 bike is considered to be a budget bike.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've had my Guardian for over a year and I LOVE it. Thanks, Airborne, for making and selling bikes that are affordable but still excellent quality. And thanks for bucking the status quo of ridiculously priced bikes so that people like me can ride in style!
    This exactly! When I decided to to get back into MTB I talked to a co-worker who is an avid cyclist. His advice to me was that if I could not scrape together at least $3000.00 to not even bother. I'm sure glad I did not listen to him. My Guardian has been awesome and I have never once thought "this cheap bike is holding me back". The bike has never felt like a compromise at all. It has been a great bike! I am starting to think seriously about a Hobgoblin, but that is just because I am old and want to smooth out those root filled trails a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    I think that says a lot of about the cycling industry when a $1700 bike is considered to be a budget bike.
    One more +1 for this. As much as I like my lbs and shopping local, local economy, etc, I'm saddened by the quality of 'entry-level' bikes at the bike shop. Bikes like the guardian and seeker are excellent options to get on the trails that you can ACTUALLY USE ON TRAILS! Try that with a similarly priced hardrock and you'll be sadly disappointed.

The HG will be my next bike, and an airborne will probably be a bike for my wife when she decides she wants to come play in the dirt with the kids and me If airborne ever puts out a kids bike, I'll get several of those too! BDF, if you're out there, hook us up with a nice 24 incher! I've got six awesome kids that love to ride and I'd love to put them on airbornes.
    Last edited by akaHector; 08-24-2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Spelling goof!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The Airborne model of selling quality bikes direct may not be for everyone.

But, if you are a knowledgeable cyclist who is looking for a value, Airborne is a great option.

Even the "entry level" Guardian bike has a very strong component set for the price.

BDF - I'm not surprised that your current sales are exceeding expectations.

mtbr member
    I am looking at the HG for my next bike, I now have the Zeppelin Elite which I got at a fantastic deal as "scratch/dent" a couple of months ago. I've gotten several complements on it, which have conferred that it is a good entry level FS. I am anxious to make the switch up to a 29er, hope to have my order in by summer. Way to go Airborne!