Airborne Product Dude

Model Years: Why we don't use them

The discussion about dual-air versus single-air forks reminded me that I wanted to make a post about Model Years as they relate to Airborne bikes.

We don't use them.

That sounds a bit strange, especially if you have been brainwashed for years into thinking you have to go out to your local bike shop every year in the early fall to get the latest bike even though your current bike is probably perfectly fine. Bike companies have done this for years as have car companies.

Since we don't sell thru shops, we aren't stuck with that business model of churning out a new version of a bike every September. Most of our models have an 18-20 month shelf life, and often times we make new small batches of them thru that time period. This means that we have to be smart about the way we spec the bike, so that parts that are on it aren't already obsolete before it makes it to your door. It also means that we bring out new bikes thru the year at different times. We like that because it gives people reasons to talk about us or visit our site at different times thru the year.

This also helps keep our costs down, since we don't have to build extra margin into a bike to allow for obsolescence expenses and deep markdowns that normally happen to other brands in September/October every year.

Please let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the info.

Any word on availability of the Hobgoblin or the Goblin XO?

MTB Fanatic
    Great post, that's something I had been wondering about. There's obviously been a lot of thought and planning put into the business. I really like what I see from Airborne...all aspects of it.
    Nathan

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    That makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the info.

The Goblin XO has me very interested.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bigherb View Post
    The Goblin XO has me very interested.
    Ah-greed!!!

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    I was following another thread and they posted a guesstimate here: Airborne HobGoblin?