mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Loving my new Goblin Evo

Started lookin at airbornes a couple months ago when I decided to get back into mtb'ing. Settled on the goblin because of its value. Finally saved up the money last week and ordered it. After ordering while browsing the website I noticed that the goblin evo had price dropped to 1279.95. I immediately had buyers remorse and sent an email to airborne. They contacted me within 30 minutes and we had the order changed right away with no problems. Huge thanks to Eric for getting me all set up. I ordered on Friday and the bike showed up yesterday. I assembled it within an hour of it showing up and took it for a short ride up the street. After a few adjustments to the brake levers, shift levers, and brake calipers it was perfect.

Had my first chance to put it through its paces this morning and I had a blast! Took awhile to get used to clipping in again (bought some shimano pd-m324 pedals because they have spd clips on one side and platforms on the other, work great btw) but after a couple close calls I got it down. Took it on some intermediate level trails here in Houston called the ant hills at terry Hersey park and the bike performed nearly flawlessly. It won't shift into the highest gear on the rear set, easy fix I'm sure just need to adjust the RD. Other than that though the bike is an amazing ride. It for sure saved me in a couple spots where I got in over my head on some blind downhills.

All in all I gotta say what a fantastic value this bike is. The level of components and build quality of the frame is on par with bikes costing hundreds more, as you all know. Those of you scared of having to assemble you're bike, don't be. It couldn't be easier. It's all very basic mechanical skills, something any rider should know how to do anyways. Love the bike and couldn't be happier. Anyways, on to the pics. Sorry they're from my iPhone. I've been too busy riding the thing to get any decent pics from my other cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneel Before Your Master
    Did you go by their sizing recommendations? Does it fit correctly? I'm about to get one of these and I'm 5'11". 18" should fit I hope.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Loving my new Goblin Evo

Quote Originally Posted by mbogosia View Post
    Did you go by their sizing recommendations? Does it fit correctly? I'm about to get one of these and I'm 5'11". 18" should fit I hope.
    Yes. I emailed them bc I'm 5'8" so I was in between their sizing recommendations. I gave them my measurements and they said I should get the 16". I think it's a near perfect fit. This is my first 29er so even the small felt huge at first. But the bar reach is nearly perfect.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Double check the routing on your ft der. cable. You might have to take the stem off again but it shouldn't go over and around the top tube like that in the second picture. Bike looks great, glad you are enjoying it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Cool! I'm going to order the same bike on Thursday or Friday. And I live in Houston too. I could use some help putting the bike together (I'm pretty much a noob to all this)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Loving my new Goblin Evo

It's really super easy. All you have to do is take off the stem and reverse it to face away from the frame. There's a bolt in the center of the top of the head tube covered by a black rubber grommet. You take that off. Loosen the two Allen bolts holding on the stem. Loosen the four bolts for the handlebar clamp and then put on the handle bar and stem. Then it's just a matter of putting on the front wheel. Mine was adjusted for the right tension from the factory but if you need to adjust it, there's an Allen key in the center of the quick release that clicks as you tighten or loosen it to set the right tension to flip the quick release down.

If you need any help feel free to hit me up. What side of town are you on?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Loving my new Goblin Evo

1200 for a hard tail..wuuuuut?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Loving my new Goblin Evo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDobyZhee View Post
    1200 for a hard tail..wuuuuut?
    Show me a better spec'd FS for the same price and I'd be all over it. But Houston is flat. The gains from going to an FS over a hard tail aren't seen because there's no real terrain to necessitate a hard tail. Especially when you get so much more component wise out of a hard tail. I come from years of BMX. I'm used to leg suspension. lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Northwest by 610 & 290

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Loving my new Goblin Evo

Quick update. I was having several issues with the derailure cables being too long and scratching up my fork crown and scuffing the clear coat on the head tube. I also had several issues getting into the right gear. So I purchased a park tools cable housing cutter and some new cable ends (the bike came with two spare cable ends btw, but I changed them to some anodized blue ones to match the bike's paint. Looks great and work great too). After a couple tries, I was scared to go too short, I got the length and tension dialed in perfect. The park tools cable cutter works perfectly. Nice clean cuts on the housings and cables with no squishing or fraying. It took a lot of fine tuning on the front and rear mechs because I've never done this before but now it's perfect. Shifts up and down cleanly and effortlessly. The front end of the bike is also cleaned up dramatically. I took nearly 4" of cable and housing off both front and rear and still have plenty of slack for way more turning angle than I'll ever need with zero binding. Anyways, on to the pics. Still no good ones with my 5dmk3 but here's some quick iPhone snaps. I'll get some good ones this week when the weather clears up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Where in the box did you find the cable ends. I am thinking I may have to shorten the cables because it did have a little trouble getting into the right gear. Was going to start with adjusting the RD first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Loving my new Goblin Evo

It was in the small box with the rockshox paper work, stans, and presta valves. They may have even been in the same small bag with the screws for the reflectors.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks. I will look again to make sure I am not going crazy

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Loving my new Goblin Evo

Maybe I just got lucky. lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
    Maybe I just got lucky. lol

Yeah they are in the bag with the screws. I was just in a hurry to get it set up and on the trail before the rain started. Hell I even left my reflectors on the wheels and noticed it once I started riding. Felt like a noob and just had to laugh then of course continued to shred and clean some lines I could not with the Scott. lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Loving my new Goblin Evo

Hahaha!! Thanks for reminding me! I need to take off the wheel reflectors as well!

Squ-eti
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
    Quick update. I was having several issues with the derailure cables being too long and scratching up my fork crown and scuffing the clear coat on the head tube. I also had several issues getting into the right gear. So I purchased a park tools cable housing cutter and some new cable ends (the bike came with two spare cable ends btw, but I changed them to some anodized blue ones to match the bike's paint. Looks great and work great too). After a couple tries, I was scared to go too short, I got the length and tension dialed in perfect. The park tools cable cutter works perfectly. Nice clean cuts on the housings and cables with no squishing or fraying. It took a lot of fine tuning on the front and rear mechs because I've never done this before but now it's perfect. Shifts up and down cleanly and effortlessly. The front end of the bike is also cleaned up dramatically. I took nearly 4" of cable and housing off both front and rear and still have plenty of slack for way more turning angle than I'll ever need with zero binding. Anyways, on to the pics. Still no good ones with my 5dmk3 but here's some quick iPhone snaps. I'll get some good ones this week when the weather clears up.

Looking good with the shortened cable housings!

I need to trim mine too, but I'm still playing with the setup on the front end...lowering stem, possibly putting on a longer stem. Don't wanna trim til I get that straightened out.
    "Flow the downhills,
    Cruise the flats,
    Attack the climbs!"

mtbr member
    Congrats to a fellow Texan with an Airborne!