mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Lots of new things to me - this time it's the brakes

I took a 5.5 mile gravel road shakedown cruise on the new Seeker yesterday. Very happy with it! I have a punch list of fitting and adjustment tweaks, but it's pretty close.

Hydraulic brakes are new to me, and I'm wondering if I need to bleed the front one at least. The lever feels soft compared to the rear; I don't feel any braking until the lever is 30 - 50% of travel. It was about 24F, and I wondered how the temps might effect them, but the rear was substantially firmer feeling.

Can anyone describe what a Clyde rider should "feel" with the Elixir 1's? Would it be a good idea to bleed them just as a matter of course on a new bike? Any other hints or tips?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bleeding them might not be a bad idea, but my Seeker came the same way. There is a travel adjustment screw just inside the actual lever - that should take out the extra travel and firm up the feel. Its not the "proper" fix but it worked fine on mine. Bleeding only takes about 10 minutes when youdo get around to it.

As a side note: I am a clyde rider, around 250lbs, and found the Elixir 1's performed fine for most types of riding that are within the scope of an XC bike.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckHubbert View Post
    I took a 5.5 mile gravel road shakedown cruise on the new Seeker yesterday. Very happy with it! I have a punch list of fitting and adjustment tweaks, but it's pretty close.

Hydraulic brakes are new to me, and I'm wondering if I need to bleed the front one at least. The lever feels soft compared to the rear; I don't feel any braking until the lever is 30 - 50% of travel. It was about 24F, and I wondered how the temps might effect them, but the rear was substantially firmer feeling.

Can anyone describe what a Clyde rider should "feel" with the Elixir 1's? Would it be a good idea to bleed them just as a matter of course on a new bike? Any other hints or tips?

Thanks!
    Give it a few rides...if it is your first set of Hydro brakes they do feel a little different at first..and..at least to me Avids brakes have that feel to them across their entire line-up..

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I gave it a few rides and the bled them --which is a gigantic PITA, by the way. It's nearly impossible to suck air in the lines past the Elixir's ports/o-rings. The threads are not spot on.

Even with a bleed kit, you might want to check into extra o-rings, and softer material for the threaded barbs (M5). The O-rings get torn up after each bleed so think of them as disposable.

Dispose of your spent fluid properly.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyLinksystems View Post
    I gave it a few rides and the bled them --which is a gigantic PITA, by the way. It's nearly impossible to suck air in the lines past the Elixir's ports/o-rings. The threads are not spot on.
    Hm, really? I've blend XO on a buddies bike and the Elixir 1's that were on mine and didn't really have much trouble getting the air past the ports. It did take a while with the XO's because they were FULL of air but my Elixir 1's had just a few bubbles.

I don't use the Avid-brand bleed kit though, I use this one

Amazon.com: Avid Disc Brake Bleed Kit, Elixir, Code, Juicy, USA: Sports & Outdoors

Works great as long as you dip the plunger in brake fluid before trying to bleed. Helps it seal inside the syringe so you don't end up sucking air past the plunger.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    yeah, I've done bleeds before. Maybe it was my kit from BleedBicycles.com but it was a super pita and I was totally set up to do it fast in my shop. Oh well.... have to find more o-rings to give it another go.
    Last edited by BodyLinksystems; 12-22-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: corrected URL

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Just an update: I contacted BleedBicycles.com regarding my o-rings and they sent me a bunch of extra o-rings AND whole new kit that same day and even offered to send me the pro syringes when things slow down after Christmas.

Super impressed with the customer service, so if you're thinking of getting a bleed kit I would feel confident about getting one from them.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    That is the bleed kit that I use, been very happy with it, good to know their customer service is top notch as well.
    Eric