mtbr member

lots of dirt/gunk on my chain

I understand that lubing my chain is an important basic maintenance tip, but after my ride it looks like a lot of dirt has accumulated on my chain. I guess here comes the always-by-swl noob question: is this what the chain guard is meant for? What is the difference between that, and the sleeve-like item that looks like it is wrapped around the frame next to the chain?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    I understand that lubing my chain is an important basic maintenance tip, but after my ride it looks like a lot of dirt has accumulated on my chain. I guess here comes the always-by-swl noob question: is this what the chain guard is meant for? What is the difference between that, and the sleeve-like item that looks like it is wrapped around the frame next to the chain?
    Chainguards are meant to protect the rider from coming in contact with the chain. The clear plastic guard on the chainstay is there to prevent the frame/paint from wear from the chain slapping on it during rough bits on the trail.

If conditions are dry and dusty, or wet and muddy, its normal to get a dirty chain for the most part. Its recommended that you wipe it after every ride and apply the lube of your choice every so often (intervals determined by use, brand/type of lube).

I like to use wax-based lubes as they tend to get less black and gunky. The drawback to that is that they need to be reapplied more often.

Discussions about bike lubes often border on being like discussion about religion. There are many different beliefs and some people are very passionate about their personal choice............
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    The thing that is wrapped around the frame is there to protect your frame from chain slap. When you go over roots and rocks with speed your chain slaps the frame, without something there to protect the frame it will chew up the chain stay. Try a dry chain lube like white lightning, it helps with the collection of dirt on the chain.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    Important tip:

Once you lube the chain, after you cleaned it up first, let it sit for few minutes for the oil to get in between the plates and into bushings, wipe the chain off with a rag before you hit the trail. It will remain oiled where it needs to be and will not attract as much dirt and dust, converting it into gunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by osokolo; 10-04-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    Signature