Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Airborne Product Dude

Looking for a fork upgrade for your Guardian?

We took inventory today in our spare warehouse and found some Rockshox forks that would make good upgrades for Guardian owners. We were saving them for warranty purposes but no longer need them.

Here's what we got with prices, all with 1 1/8" uncut steer tubes, brand new no packaging, 2012 models:

Reba RL Dual Air 80mm WHITE
    QTY 2
    $100 each

Reba RL Dual AIr 80mm BLACK
    QTY 1
    $100

Recon TK Gold (single air) 100mm BLACK
    QTY 1
    $50

If you want one, PM me or call us at 800-888-BIKE.

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm very interested, don't have enough posts to PM. Called and got an answering machine.

Airborne Product Dude
    Someone will get back to you, thanks! We've been out on our lunchride!
    Airborne Dude.

Airborne Product Dude
    Both white Reba's are spoken for.

We have the black Reba and Recon left, thanks!
    Airborne Dude.

Mtn View, CA
    These are 29er forks I assume.
    Atomic batteries to power...turbines to speed...

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by gddyap View Post
    These are 29er forks I assume.
    Yes. Since Guardians are 29ers, these are 29er forks.
    Airborne Dude.

Airborne Product Dude
    All of the Rebas are sold. All that is left is the Recon. Thanks!
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    pm sent, message left.

ill take the recon
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

Airborne Product Dude
    Forks are all sold or committed to, thanks!
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Dang, the one day I don't get on here......good looking out though.

If anyone's payment doesn't go through let me know!
    Last edited by comphynum; 10-25-2012 at 06:41 AM.

mtbr member
    grabbed the black reba. I might try to increase the travel to 100m and will post pics for this upgrade!

edit: Workshop: How To Adjust Travel On A RockShox Trail Fork - BikeRadar to whoever bought the two white reba's and want to "attempt" the 100mm conversion.

Airborne Product Dude
    It really is an easy thing to do. Once you've done one you'll be amazed at how easy it was to work on.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    if this comes with "no packaging" should I assume that it won't have the star nut to install it on my Guardian? I will most likely install the fork with the 80mm for now, and convert it to 100mm when I need to.

NeedGod.com
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    grabbed the black reba. I might try to increase the travel to 100m and will post pics for this upgrade!

edit: Workshop: How To Adjust Travel On A RockShox Trail Fork - BikeRadar to whoever bought the two white reba's and want to "attempt" the 100mm conversion.
    Thanks for this. I am considering going to 100mm of travel but we'll see. I'd be interested to see pics of how it goes for you.
    Nathan

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by swl7 View Post
    if this comes with "no packaging" should I assume that it won't have the star nut to install it on my Guardian? I will most likely install the fork with the 80mm for now, and convert it to 100mm when I need to.
    The forks are OE spec so they don't have a star nut.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The forks are OE spec so they don't have a star nut.
    Thanks for the heads up. Looks like I either have to order it online: Star Nut > Components > Headsets and Spacers > Star Nuts and Compression Plugs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

or try to find a LBS that has it. I looked online through PerformanceBike and they didn't have it. It might have to be more local than that haha

Airborne Product Dude
    Lots of shops have star nuts that are extra. Headsets come with star nuts and often times when replacing a headset for a customer the new star nut goes unused and gets chucked into the spare parts bin, because its not worth the effort to bang out a perfectly good one and replace it.

I'm certain they'd be happy to sell ya one for a couple of bucks.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    I got a star nut from my performance. Just call ahead and ask.

For those wanting to go to 100, it is absolutely worth it and you won't regret it.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zukrider View Post
    I got a star nut from my performance. Just call ahead and ask.

For those wanting to go to 100, it is absolutely worth it and you won't regret it.
    Nice, stopped by and got it for two bucks. Zuk, I was going through your older fork swap post and it seems a little intense. Is cutting the steerer necessary if I'm kind of "OKAY" with my current guardian setup?

I'm assuming the things I have to do once I get the fork are:

1) take off my old fork and remove the crown race to put on the new fork (I'm guessing taking off the crown race is pretty annoying and takes patience)

2) assemble the new fork onto my bike with the same spacer configuration and make sure everything is tight and good to go.

Am I missing anything important? I'm a little worried about installing the crown race back on the new fork. Any tools? Don't wanna scratch up the fork before I even put it on the bike lol

mtbr member
    yes, with those steps, you also cut the steerer. i cut around 2.5" off. never measured though. however, my factory fork steerer is 7 11/16" so match that. i used a jigsaw cause it was readily available. i do not recc that at all. use a hacksaw or sawzall. its easy. or, have the LBS do it right quick.

but, this is the time to make any adjustments. if you want a lower stem, just swap the spacers on top, but a taller stem, you will want to leave some more steerer. i didnt just use the factory setting, as i was stepping to 100mm, i put all the factory spacers on and rode around with the extra sticking out. i felt i did not need more, so i cut for the factory and figured id delete later if needed.

hope this helps! feel free to call or text me if you need "more" detail. joe 720-879-2203.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

mtbr member
    hmm okay. I found this video at this guy sets his steerer to 195mm just like your 7 11/16" so I'll probably have to take my fork to the LBS and just get the steerer cut since I don't have a pipe cutter. After that, I'll just do the rest of the installation myself.

For the other people doing fork replacement installations, this video is actually informative and complete in what you actually have to do step by step. Other than the terrible video quality, this video is good. The guy actually gives you a good laugh Suspension fork upgrade installation - YouTube

mtbr member
    well finally installed the reba rl on my guardian. Got the steerer cut to 195mm to keep my original length. Although there are a couple very noticeable chips in the fork's leg, i'm okay with it.

One question: I don't have a shock pump yet, but what psi setting do the factory forks come in? I put all my weight on it and it won't compress (extremely stiff). There's no sag when I get on my bike either. Should I buy a regular rockshox shock pump? I'll need it.

Pics!

One question is... why are the decals from the 2011 rl? is this not a 2012 reba?
    Last edited by swl7; 10-31-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Airborne Product Dude
    Is it locked out? That fork is an early 2012, and its an oem fork.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Is it locked out? That fork is an early 2012, and its an oem fork.
    I don't believe the fork is locked out. the blue nob is turned to the top right which means the compression is open. I do see the floodgate on top of that, but I don't think that's related since that controls when the lockout is overridden. I'm also going to just go pick up a topeak pump shock from my local performancebike so I can set the air pressures.

mtbr member
    Not sure what its at. But you want to start with 80% of your weight and do a sit test with a zip tie. You want 3/4" to 1" of sag while in your normal upright position. Helps to have a friend there to move the zip tie.
    2012 Airborne Guardian.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast