Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member

Let's see those Griffins!!

WOAH! I guess I was a good boy this year! Merry Christmas everyone!

I haven't seen any threads for the new 27.5+ bike yet....

mtbr member
    We actually have a few inches of snow on the ground, perfect settings to give the latest n+1 it's maiden voyage. The snow was a blast to plow through on the big 3.25 Vee up front, tubed up with a new set of VP Harrier flats. I am still trying to convert to tubeless, but I will have to take them to the shop to see if I can get the bead to set since I can't even get close with the floor pump.

The paint job gets it - a sick acid green with a gold pearl that shows in the sun. Pictures do not do this bike justice.

Something of note, the GX drivetrain is quite impressive. Right out of the box it needed no tweaking with the barrel adjuster and shifted smoothly. 42-10 with a 30T up front chomped up the white stuff, but I really want to see it in action in the desert conditions we normally have here. The fast whoops section of Seven Sisters is where I really want to try this bike out, followed by a ride at Alien Run. Conditions need to change, but I anticipate a fun season with a Goblin and a Griffin to conquer the local trails. More to come as I get more seat time with the bike.

Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 01-03-2016 at 05:37 PM.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Very cool, congrats!

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    That's awesome! Congrats and Merry Christmas to you! I'm seriously considering a plus bike myself after a recent demo. Looking forward to future ride reports and review.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!! I only have one complaint so far, and that is a nasty paint chip from shipping on the right side chainstay. Other than that, the bike is flawless. I unfortunately have to work all week, but I plan on hitting the trails again come Friday.

mtbr member
    Very nice SC!! Enjoy that bad boy. With the snow and sand out there, that'll be the perfect bike!

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Very nice SC!! Enjoy that bad boy. With the snow and sand out there, that'll be the perfect bike!

I hope so sir! Looking forward to getting out to Alien and Pinion Mesa!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    I hope so sir! Looking forward to getting out to Alien and Pinion Mesa!
    And maybe Bootleg?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That's looks great!! I'm planning on getting one too. That is a 20" frame correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvny081 View Post
    That's looks great!! I'm planning on getting one too. That is a 20" frame correct?
    Yep, that is a 20" frame. I just converted the wheels tubeless (talk about a huge PITA), so that will drop about 600 grams from the wheels. Downside, I am seeing soap bubbles from the mounting process coming through the rim joint on the front wheel. I am leery about taking the bike back out until I have heard back from Sun Ringle as I am not sure how safe it is...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Now that you have had some seat time on the griffin, I would like to know your honest opinion about the plus tires. Do you feel that there is a clear difference in its ability to go through the snow and mud? How does traction and stability compare to that of a 29er that has say...... A 2.4" front tire with some decent tread on it and a 2.25" rear tire also with decent tread?

mtbr member
    Now that you have had some seat time on the griffin, I would like to know your honest opinion about the plus tires. Do you feel that there is a clear difference in its ability to go through the snow and mud? How does traction and stability compare to that of a 29er that has say...... A 2.4" front tire with some decent tread on it and a 2.25" rear tire also with decent tread?
    I can say this, I rode Alien Run last year with 4 inches of snow on the ground with my Goblin, and it was one tough ride. That was the longest I had been in first gear in my life! Tire size was a bit thinner at 2.25 in front and a 2.1 in the back as well, so I am sure that really didn't help either.

On the Griffin, this thing is a blast to ride through snow. What was really cool was checking the data from a ride I did on that trail at time change last year (dry conditions, on the Goblin) versus what I rode there Sunday. Over the snow I was only three miles per hour slower for top speed, and 1.5 miles per hour slower average speed. Pretty friggin awesome! The snow here is a freak thing, we usually don't get this much and have it stick around for so long. Chances are if it snowed in the past, it was melted by noon. My real reason for wanting the bike is the desert sand and the washes out here versus having it for snow - that turned out to be a bonus. I can't say what it would be like to blaze a trail through fresh powder on the Griffin, but I would probably prefer a full fatbike for extra float if I were to be that ambitious. Our mud here is sticky, greasy clay when it is wet, so do my best to avoid it, as it would stop you from even going downhill (yep, that actually happened in the past). I cannot wait for some drier conditions to see how this bike performs, especially on the fast trails here like the Whoops of Seven Sisters. This bike is going to be a keeper!

I will keep updating as I get more seat time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Excellent reply! Thanks for all the info! It really paints a picture. I appreciate it. I live in the buffalo area up in ny. I live in front of a park that has paved pathways and sometimes people get stuck on the hill near our house and they close the road. so in addition to having this bike to ride single track that sometimes get muddy and kinda slick, I would like the idea of the more confidence inspiring wider tires to ride in the snow occasionally for fun around the park and when I have to get to the store when the road is closed. And not to mention it just looks awesome. I can't wait to get one and try it out. Thanks again for the informative reply.

mtbr member
    Excellent reply! Thanks for all the info! It really paints a picture. I appreciate it. I live in the buffalo area up in ny. I live in front of a park that has paved pathways and sometimes people get stuck on the hill near our house and they close the road. so in addition to having this bike to ride single track that sometimes get muddy and kinda slick, I would like the idea of the more confidence inspiring wider tires to ride in the snow occasionally for fun around the park and when I have to get to the store when the road is closed. And not to mention it just looks awesome. I can't wait to get one and try it out. Thanks again for the informative reply.
    Rock on! I plan on doing some video in the future since I have a little more motivation to do so to show this bike off. Also of note that I forgot to mention above, the steering can be heavy, especially if you are used to a standard MTB. It doesn't take nearly as much steering input to get the bike to turn - where it shines is leaning the bike vs. steering input. First upgrade after the seat is going to be a dropper, and I am sure it will get even faster. Without tubes, the front Griffin Mulefut wheel with 4oz of Stans weighs in at 5 pounds, 14 ounces. My Goblin front Crest wheel is 3 pounds, 12 ounces. Those two pounds make a big difference in steering feel.

mtbr member
    Too sick to ride last weekend, so I have been going through the bike to familiarize myself with all the components. I was messing with the rear derailleur as I couldn't find the sweet spot shifting through all the gears. No matter the cable tension, there would be one gear that would make noise. I thought I heard some noise when I was out for the one and only ride so far this year, but I really couldn't be sure since the big tires were crunching through the snow. I got the DAG-2 out and found the rear hanger to be out of whack by about 6mm on the x-axis, and once I found the limit screws, the rear derailleur sang through the gears. They are tucked in and hidden at the back of the derailleur under the cable wheel in it's own little cubbie - sneaky. All of this reminds me that I need to get another hanger to carry with me as well.

The WTB Test Pure V seat came in earlier this week, so that is now on with a CB Cobalt 2 post. I am simply terrible when it comes to adjusting seats with the stock seat post hardware, but the design of CB makes it easy for me. More to come with pics as S.M.O.B, I am going riding!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Soul - do you happen to know what your 20" griffin weight was stock before you went tubeless?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miahw2828 View Post
    Soul - do you happen to know what your 20" griffin weight was stock before you went tubeless?
    It's hard to say what the stock weight was, but the tubes themselves combined were only 600 grams. The wheels were already taped up as well from Airborne using Sun Ringle rim strips and tape. According to the bathroom scale it weighs in at 32 lbs. right now, but that type of measurement isn't very accurate. After riding this weekend I do plan to remove the major components of the bike and weigh them out just to see how heavy the Griffin is. My scale will do up to 11 pounds, so by weighing the wheels, fork, and frame all separate, I can get a better idea of total weight and report back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks SC, bathroom scale weight is OK for what I'm looking for - just a general sense on the weight. That's just about what I was expecting.

mtbr member
    No worries miahw2828 - have a great ride!

mtbr member
    Back on Anasazi loop with friends in the melting snow. I am looking forward to a full thaw so I can put the Griffin through it's paces.

Along with a set of VP Harriers (which are an awesome platform pedal), I ditched the Airborne seatpost and Vello seat for a CB Cobalt 2 seatpost and a Pure V Test seat.

Let's see those Griffins!!-image1-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Doing some research on the bike I have discovered the cranks are GX1400 (Airborne site is still down) and that they can take a direct mount ring with a 6mm offset, which means I can ditch the spider and chainring bolts. I just found a SRAM 28T direct mount steel ring for 13 bucks which should get me where I want to be as far as gearing (SRAM is making steel rings with an average price of just 20 bucks). The Griffin comes stock with a 94BCD spider 30T which gets me where I need to go, but would like some extra spin for not-so great conditions.

The weather is improving, with temps getting back into the 40's - 46 is our average winter, so having all these snow covered trails start to melt is a great thing. Normally, the snow is melted by noon, but it has stuck around for many weeks now with the colder temps. I am really looking forward to some dry, sandy conditions.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1416
Size:  32.8 KB

mtbr member
    Something else to be on the hunt for, a Sun Ringle Hub Tool. Not an easy thing to find at the moment, and contacting Sun Ringle helped very little as you cannot purchase it from their website. Their response was that any bike shop can order that tool for me. Not the path I want to take for reasons not worth mentioning at the moment...

If anyone knows of a place to order one, please let me know!

Name:  s780_26369.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  7.2 KB

EDIT:
    I found one that is made by Stans, so this should do the trick.

Name:  GetImage.ashx.jpg
Views: 1281
Size:  8.9 KB
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 01-22-2016 at 08:27 AM.

mtbr member
    I was hoping for some snow melt, I didn't get so lucky. Another great ride on the Griffin today, and I am sure it will be another great ride tomorrow.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1436.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1439.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Doing some research on the bike I have discovered the cranks are GX1400 (Airborne site is still down) and that they can take a direct mount ring with a 6mm offset, which means I can ditch the spider and chainring bolts. I just found a SRAM 28T direct mount steel ring for 13 bucks which should get me where I want to be as far as gearing (SRAM is making steel rings with an average price of just 20 bucks). The Griffin comes stock with a 94BCD spider 30T which gets me where I need to go, but would like some extra spin for not-so great conditions.

The weather is improving, with temps getting back into the 40's - 46 is our average winter, so having all these snow covered trails start to melt is a great thing. Normally, the snow is melted by noon, but it has stuck around for many weeks now with the colder temps. I am really looking forward to some dry, sandy conditions.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1416
Size:  32.8 KB
    Never dealt with a 1x11 or even a 1x10 and based off the gearing I've used with my Stache I would prefer a 28T in any 1x setup. So you're saying the switch to a 28T from 30T isn't difficult and not very expensive?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid Orange View Post
    Never dealt with a 1x11 or even a 1x10 and based off the gearing I've used with my Stache I would prefer a 28T in any 1x setup. So you're saying the switch to a 28T from 30T isn't difficult and not very expensive?
    That is correct, SRAM is making the chainrings out of steel to keep the cost down. MSRP on their rings is 20 bucks, which is fantastic considering what everyone else wants for their N/W rings. Weight isn't much of a penalty since you lose the spider and the chainring bolts. The indentions you see at 3, 8, and 10 o'clock positions on the ring above are where the torx head screws hold the direct mount ring to the crank arm, and where/how the current spider is mounted to the crank.

Once the 28T shows up I will add some pictures on the installation.

mtbr member
    That's a great price for a N/W ring. The direct mount crankset and ring are the way to go for 1x. It's also the only way that I know of that allows you to go smaller than 30t.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt n Dust View Post
    That's a great price for a N/W ring. The direct mount crankset and ring are the way to go for 1x. It's also the only way that I know of that allows you to go smaller than 30t.
    Agreed - plus finding one for 13 bucks made it even sweeter, although I had to pay three bucks in shipping. According to tracking, it should be at the house today, and will get installed tonight!

More snow and ice rolled in last night, I am not sure the snow covered trails will ever melt. Crazy having snow on the ground for over a month now...

mtbr member
    The new 28T ring arrived along with some new Lizard Skins, one for the Goblin, the other for the Griffin.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1441.jpg

Installing the new ring was a snap, there are only three, T25 torx head screws holding the spider to the crank, so it was just a matter of a quick swap.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1444.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1446.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1447.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1448.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1449.jpg

Not bad! I like how clean it looks, and their isn't much of a weight penalty enough to care.

30T with chain ring bolts and spider - 105 grams
    28T steel direct bolt on - 131 grams

I also weighed out the cranks since I had them taken apart.

Non-drive side crank arm - 241 grams
    Drive side crank arm and spindle - 434 grams

Looking forward to the weekend to get the bike back out, supposed to get back into the 50's, so we should have melting snow here soon.

mtbr member
    OK, since we were in for a bit of rain, I decided to break down the bike for stock weights and a good cleaning since conditions are getting greasy. All weights are stock components.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1453.jpg

Airborne Griffin Stock Weights
    -2246g Frame
    ---94g GXP Pressfit BB
    ---22g RD Hanger and bolt
    -1491g Front Wheel (tape, rim strip, valve, hub, spokes)
    -1667g Rear Wheel (tape, rim strip, valve, hub, spokes)
    --920g 27.5x3. Vee Trax Fatty front
    --930g 27.5x3.25 Vee Trax Fatty rear
    ---95g Front 15mm axle
    ---75g Rear 12mm axle
    --134g Front 180mm Rotor
    ---89g Rear 160mm Rotor
    ---24g 12 Rotor Bolts
    --392g 42-10 Cassette
    --268g Front Brakes
    --285g Rear Brakes
    --265g Rear Derailleur
    --241g Left Crank Arm
    --434g D/S Crank arm and spindle
    --105g 30T Chain ring
    --250g Chain w/ Master Link
    -2146g Front Fork with crown race/star nut
    ---54g Headset Bearings
    ---57g Headset parts (2 headset spacers, cap, bolt, bearing wedge)
    --298g Handlebars
    --131g Stem
    --117g 10-speed shifter
    ---79g Lock on grips w/ plugs
    ---30g Cable housing (3 pcs.) and cable
    --352g Seat
    --350g Seat post
    ---29g Seat post collar
    --370g Pedals, VP Harrier

14040g / 31lbs .3oz

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1455.jpg
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 02-17-2016 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Sweet ride! I wish the HTA was more like 67 on the Griffin, nice ride regardless!

mtbr member
    Thanks dietz!

mtbr member
    So, in continuation of going through the bike, I removed the Hayes Radar brake pads from the calipers to check on how even wear is. I ended up sanding all four pads to flat as there were only partial pad contact with the rotors. No biggie, but I am not a huge fan as how they go in and out of the caliper. Most tabs on brake pads is what you hold onto putting them into the caliper, but not on the Radars, the tabs go into the caliper first making it an awkward install since you don't want to touch the pads too much. I ended up using an 8mm allen wrench to push out the pads, and to push them back in once I wiped it down with alcohol. Don't get me wrong, they stop great, and aren't noisy, but they missed the mark with maintenance.

I can see some XT Brakes in my future....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was wondering about the paint quality?.....I noticed the demo bike in one of the Sea Otter pictures had a paint chip up around the head tube....wouldn't expect a high end paint job on a bike at this price point....on the other hand, its a mountain bike, its supposed to have a few beauty marks!!
    Thanks guys!! I only have one complaint so far, and that is a nasty paint chip from shipping on the right side chainstay. Other than that, the bike is flawless. I unfortunately have to work all week, but I plan on hitting the trails again come Friday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rshauvin View Post
    I was wondering about the paint quality?.....I noticed the demo bike in one of the Sea Otter pictures had a paint chip up around the head tube....wouldn't expect a high end paint job on a bike at this price point....on the other hand, its a mountain bike, its supposed to have a few beauty marks!!
    The paint quality is excellent - the chip happened in shipping, just one of those things that I can cover up with a sticker. Conditions still aren't even close to being normal with all the snow we have here. Once the thaw and dry-out happens, its back to the sand and rocks, and the true test of the paint. My Goblin frame has stood up to the abuse, a nick here and there, but I think the Griffin will be just as solid.

(I need a new sticker sheet, Airborne! )

mtbr member
    As I mentioned, I was going through the bike, specifically the Hayes brakes. No matter how much I get everything centered, one brake pull and I am right back to an intermittent squeak/brake pad rub. This goes for front and back brakes. After an hour of frustration, I pulled off both front and rear Hayes rotors, and switched to my Avids, which were on the Goblin until I put a set of Windcutters on there. After a quick sanding and alcohol wipe-down, they went onto the bike for centering, and another brake lever pull. Now, there is no brake rub from either wheel. Are the Hayes rotors that flimsy??

mtbr member
    Just a week old. Used some parts from the hardtail and it's at 29.96 lbs. before I go tubeless. I guess they changed the top tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see those Griffins!!-2016-02-18-13.13.13-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike-geek View Post
    Just a week old. Used some parts from the hardtail and it's at 29.96 lbs. before I go tubeless. I guess they changed the top tube.
    Usually, the Small bikes have the bent top tube to increase standover height. I am impressed by the weight! What did you end up changing out?

Forgot to mention, you will drop another 600+ grams going tubeless.

mtbr member
    Seatpost and seat - Enve post and Selle Italia Flight seat. Bar and stem - Syntace stem and Easton carbon bars, 31.7. 28.5 lbs after losing the tubes will be nice.

mtbr member
    Ahhh - I love carbon, but only have an aluminum budget... Nice ride, glad you showed it dirty!

mtbr member
    Any tips on getting the Vee tires to seal for tubeless?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike-geek View Post
    Any tips on getting the Vee tires to seal for tubeless?
    I had absolute HELL getting the Vee to set up tubeless. I ended up taking both wheels to work (a Ford Dealership) and using the shops main compressor as a floor pump was futile. I used a tube to set the bead on one side, but even then, we had to attach a straight 1/4 inch fitting with no shut-off valve just to get enough in there to push the other bead up onto the rim. Lots of soap and water and two extra hands from a friend to hold part of the bead on the rim while blasting the valve with as much air as I could get. In hindsight, since the wheels came pre-taped, I should have added another layer of tape to help make the bead set a bit easier.

My next upgrade is going to be some kind of pump like Bontrager's Flash Charger, maybe that will be the ticket to get it to set at home. Until then, I refuse to even think about taking the tire off the rim unless I absolutely have to.

I finally got some decent trail time in this weekend, was able to get 26 miles of fine riding in. I love this bike! It really eats up the sand out here. Only downside so far is my fitness, I notice how much heavier the bike is on climbs, but the 28T compensates saving me a bit of energy.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1466.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1467.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1468.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1472.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've only taken it out a few times so far. Just itching to get back onto the trails again. Still working on the tire pressure. 18psi seems to be good for now, less and I get a ton of self steer.

I got the front to set up tubeless, but even a compressor couldn't convince the rear tire to seat, so it's got a tube for now.

Let's see those Griffins!!-20160213_131806-1024x576.jpg
    Let's see those Griffins!!-20160213_131758-1-1024x576.jpg
    Coaching: http://wgcmtb.org
    Riding: Santa Cruz Superlight 29
    Riding: Airborne Griffin
    Riding: Motobecane Cross Outlaw XV

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MyZenNolan View Post
    I've only taken it out a few times so far. Just itching to get back onto the trails again. Still working on the tire pressure. 18psi seems to be good for now, less and I get a ton of self steer.

I got the front to set up tubeless, but even a compressor couldn't convince the rear tire to seat, so it's got a tube for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160213_131806-1024x576.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	1051784
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160213_131758-1-1024x576.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	1051787
    I think I am pushing it when it comes to pressure, but I run 12 in back, 10 up front, and I am 200 lbs geared up. I think the pressure feels great on the trail, I don't feel any squirm, and it really soaks up the small stuff. I don't get much self-steer at all, but I do notice it doesn't take much steering input to get the bike to react, causing me to over-steer sometimes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm 206lbs, so If it ever stops raining and snowing I'll have to play with the PSI out on some real trails. I know 12 was too low, but that was when I had the front tube in. Better dirt may be the solution.

Go away snow, I refuse to wear cold weather gear any more!
    Coaching: http://wgcmtb.org
    Riding: Santa Cruz Superlight 29
    Riding: Airborne Griffin
    Riding: Motobecane Cross Outlaw XV

mtbr member
    I just placed my order for the Griffin - 20

Thanks for the photos and info. And yes, I can see the streak of gold flake in the green paint in your post #41, s0ul_chicken!

Looks like I will just leave the tubes in if it was so much trouble and only saving about 1 pound.

I love alloy hardtails. And now with Boost & Plus...I just can't wait!

Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkThistle View Post
    I just placed my order for the Griffin - 20

Thanks for the photos and info. And yes, I can see the streak of gold flake in the green paint in your post #41, s0ul_chicken!

Looks like I will just leave the tubes in if it was so much trouble and only saving about 1 pound.

I love alloy hardtails. And now with Boost & Plus...I just can't wait!

Eric
    I would still do the tubeless thing and really take advantage of the lower pressures - I know I said it was a hassle, but the pay off is totally worth it. Plus knowing what I know now, the next time I have to change a tire it won't be so bad with another layer of tape.

Be sure to post up pictures, you are going to love that bike!!

mtbr member
    Thanks, and yes I will be posting up pictures for sure!

So, the rims just need another layer of tape to make the conversion easier?

Eric

mtbr member
    Thanks, and yes I will be posting up pictures for sure!

So, the rims just need another layer of tape to make the conversion easier?

Eric
    Yep, having another layer of tape would help tremendously, and I would also use a tube to set one side of the bead as well. This way you are only having to worry about trying to set one side, and get some extra hands to hold up part of the bead.

mtbr member
    Thanks s0ul_chicken.

I have a friend that will help me convert to tubeless. Thanks for the additional info.

I also like your 28t direct mount chainring. I can see one of those in my future!

My next post here will be showing off my new Griffin!!!

Eric

mtbr member
    Thanks s0ul_chicken.

I have a friend that will help me convert to tubeless. Thanks for the additional info.

I also like your 28t direct mount chainring. I can see one of those in my future!

My next post here will be showing off my new Griffin!!!

Eric
    Looking forward to seeing it!!

I was noticing some rotational noise from the hub, so I disassembled the driver and I see there is a pawl that does not extend out like the other two. Matter of fact, it is a full millimeter short of fully extending out. I contacted Sun Ringle, and have sent in pictures per their request to see what my issue is. Tell me, do you see it, too?

EDIT - I just got word from Sun Ringle regarding the hub, they say it does appear that one of the pawls is sitting too low, so they are sending me a spring and pawl set. Nice! Thanks to Sun Ringle for the prompt response! They also recommend a very light, thin oil such as Phil Wood Tenacious Oil.
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 03-01-2016 at 01:09 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast