Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Let's see those Griffins!!

WOAH! I guess I was a good boy this year! Merry Christmas everyone!

I haven't seen any threads for the new 27.5+ bike yet....

mtbr member
    We actually have a few inches of snow on the ground, perfect settings to give the latest n+1 it's maiden voyage. The snow was a blast to plow through on the big 3.25 Vee up front, tubed up with a new set of VP Harrier flats. I am still trying to convert to tubeless, but I will have to take them to the shop to see if I can get the bead to set since I can't even get close with the floor pump.

The paint job gets it - a sick acid green with a gold pearl that shows in the sun. Pictures do not do this bike justice.

Something of note, the GX drivetrain is quite impressive. Right out of the box it needed no tweaking with the barrel adjuster and shifted smoothly. 42-10 with a 30T up front chomped up the white stuff, but I really want to see it in action in the desert conditions we normally have here. The fast whoops section of Seven Sisters is where I really want to try this bike out, followed by a ride at Alien Run. Conditions need to change, but I anticipate a fun season with a Goblin and a Griffin to conquer the local trails. More to come as I get more seat time with the bike.

Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 01-03-2016 at 05:37 PM.

CoolArrow
    Very cool, congrats!

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    That's awesome! Congrats and Merry Christmas to you! I'm seriously considering a plus bike myself after a recent demo. Looking forward to future ride reports and review.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys!! I only have one complaint so far, and that is a nasty paint chip from shipping on the right side chainstay. Other than that, the bike is flawless. I unfortunately have to work all week, but I plan on hitting the trails again come Friday.

mtbr member
    Very nice SC!! Enjoy that bad boy. With the snow and sand out there, that'll be the perfect bike!

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Very nice SC!! Enjoy that bad boy. With the snow and sand out there, that'll be the perfect bike!

I hope so sir! Looking forward to getting out to Alien and Pinion Mesa!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    I hope so sir! Looking forward to getting out to Alien and Pinion Mesa!
    And maybe Bootleg?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That's looks great!! I'm planning on getting one too. That is a 20" frame correct?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvny081 View Post
    That's looks great!! I'm planning on getting one too. That is a 20" frame correct?
    Yep, that is a 20" frame. I just converted the wheels tubeless (talk about a huge PITA), so that will drop about 600 grams from the wheels. Downside, I am seeing soap bubbles from the mounting process coming through the rim joint on the front wheel. I am leery about taking the bike back out until I have heard back from Sun Ringle as I am not sure how safe it is...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Now that you have had some seat time on the griffin, I would like to know your honest opinion about the plus tires. Do you feel that there is a clear difference in its ability to go through the snow and mud? How does traction and stability compare to that of a 29er that has say...... A 2.4" front tire with some decent tread on it and a 2.25" rear tire also with decent tread?

mtbr member
    Now that you have had some seat time on the griffin, I would like to know your honest opinion about the plus tires. Do you feel that there is a clear difference in its ability to go through the snow and mud? How does traction and stability compare to that of a 29er that has say...... A 2.4" front tire with some decent tread on it and a 2.25" rear tire also with decent tread?
    I can say this, I rode Alien Run last year with 4 inches of snow on the ground with my Goblin, and it was one tough ride. That was the longest I had been in first gear in my life! Tire size was a bit thinner at 2.25 in front and a 2.1 in the back as well, so I am sure that really didn't help either.

On the Griffin, this thing is a blast to ride through snow. What was really cool was checking the data from a ride I did on that trail at time change last year (dry conditions, on the Goblin) versus what I rode there Sunday. Over the snow I was only three miles per hour slower for top speed, and 1.5 miles per hour slower average speed. Pretty friggin awesome! The snow here is a freak thing, we usually don't get this much and have it stick around for so long. Chances are if it snowed in the past, it was melted by noon. My real reason for wanting the bike is the desert sand and the washes out here versus having it for snow - that turned out to be a bonus. I can't say what it would be like to blaze a trail through fresh powder on the Griffin, but I would probably prefer a full fatbike for extra float if I were to be that ambitious. Our mud here is sticky, greasy clay when it is wet, so do my best to avoid it, as it would stop you from even going downhill (yep, that actually happened in the past). I cannot wait for some drier conditions to see how this bike performs, especially on the fast trails here like the Whoops of Seven Sisters. This bike is going to be a keeper!

I will keep updating as I get more seat time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Excellent reply! Thanks for all the info! It really paints a picture. I appreciate it. I live in the buffalo area up in ny. I live in front of a park that has paved pathways and sometimes people get stuck on the hill near our house and they close the road. so in addition to having this bike to ride single track that sometimes get muddy and kinda slick, I would like the idea of the more confidence inspiring wider tires to ride in the snow occasionally for fun around the park and when I have to get to the store when the road is closed. And not to mention it just looks awesome. I can't wait to get one and try it out. Thanks again for the informative reply.

mtbr member
    Excellent reply! Thanks for all the info! It really paints a picture. I appreciate it. I live in the buffalo area up in ny. I live in front of a park that has paved pathways and sometimes people get stuck on the hill near our house and they close the road. so in addition to having this bike to ride single track that sometimes get muddy and kinda slick, I would like the idea of the more confidence inspiring wider tires to ride in the snow occasionally for fun around the park and when I have to get to the store when the road is closed. And not to mention it just looks awesome. I can't wait to get one and try it out. Thanks again for the informative reply.
    Rock on! I plan on doing some video in the future since I have a little more motivation to do so to show this bike off. Also of note that I forgot to mention above, the steering can be heavy, especially if you are used to a standard MTB. It doesn't take nearly as much steering input to get the bike to turn - where it shines is leaning the bike vs. steering input. First upgrade after the seat is going to be a dropper, and I am sure it will get even faster. Without tubes, the front Griffin Mulefut wheel with 4oz of Stans weighs in at 5 pounds, 14 ounces. My Goblin front Crest wheel is 3 pounds, 12 ounces. Those two pounds make a big difference in steering feel.

mtbr member
    Too sick to ride last weekend, so I have been going through the bike to familiarize myself with all the components. I was messing with the rear derailleur as I couldn't find the sweet spot shifting through all the gears. No matter the cable tension, there would be one gear that would make noise. I thought I heard some noise when I was out for the one and only ride so far this year, but I really couldn't be sure since the big tires were crunching through the snow. I got the DAG-2 out and found the rear hanger to be out of whack by about 6mm on the x-axis, and once I found the limit screws, the rear derailleur sang through the gears. They are tucked in and hidden at the back of the derailleur under the cable wheel in it's own little cubbie - sneaky. All of this reminds me that I need to get another hanger to carry with me as well.

The WTB Test Pure V seat came in earlier this week, so that is now on with a CB Cobalt 2 post. I am simply terrible when it comes to adjusting seats with the stock seat post hardware, but the design of CB makes it easy for me. More to come with pics as S.M.O.B, I am going riding!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Soul - do you happen to know what your 20" griffin weight was stock before you went tubeless?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by miahw2828 View Post
    Soul - do you happen to know what your 20" griffin weight was stock before you went tubeless?
    It's hard to say what the stock weight was, but the tubes themselves combined were only 600 grams. The wheels were already taped up as well from Airborne using Sun Ringle rim strips and tape. According to the bathroom scale it weighs in at 32 lbs. right now, but that type of measurement isn't very accurate. After riding this weekend I do plan to remove the major components of the bike and weigh them out just to see how heavy the Griffin is. My scale will do up to 11 pounds, so by weighing the wheels, fork, and frame all separate, I can get a better idea of total weight and report back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks SC, bathroom scale weight is OK for what I'm looking for - just a general sense on the weight. That's just about what I was expecting.

mtbr member
    No worries miahw2828 - have a great ride!

mtbr member
    Back on Anasazi loop with friends in the melting snow. I am looking forward to a full thaw so I can put the Griffin through it's paces.

Along with a set of VP Harriers (which are an awesome platform pedal), I ditched the Airborne seatpost and Vello seat for a CB Cobalt 2 seatpost and a Pure V Test seat.

Let's see those Griffins!!-image1-1-.jpg

mtbr member
    Doing some research on the bike I have discovered the cranks are GX1400 (Airborne site is still down) and that they can take a direct mount ring with a 6mm offset, which means I can ditch the spider and chainring bolts. I just found a SRAM 28T direct mount steel ring for 13 bucks which should get me where I want to be as far as gearing (SRAM is making steel rings with an average price of just 20 bucks). The Griffin comes stock with a 94BCD spider 30T which gets me where I need to go, but would like some extra spin for not-so great conditions.

The weather is improving, with temps getting back into the 40's - 46 is our average winter, so having all these snow covered trails start to melt is a great thing. Normally, the snow is melted by noon, but it has stuck around for many weeks now with the colder temps. I am really looking forward to some dry, sandy conditions.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1435
Size:  32.8 KB

mtbr member
    Something else to be on the hunt for, a Sun Ringle Hub Tool. Not an easy thing to find at the moment, and contacting Sun Ringle helped very little as you cannot purchase it from their website. Their response was that any bike shop can order that tool for me. Not the path I want to take for reasons not worth mentioning at the moment...

If anyone knows of a place to order one, please let me know!

Name:  s780_26369.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  7.2 KB

EDIT:
    I found one that is made by Stans, so this should do the trick.

Name:  GetImage.ashx.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  8.9 KB
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 01-22-2016 at 08:27 AM.

mtbr member
    I was hoping for some snow melt, I didn't get so lucky. Another great ride on the Griffin today, and I am sure it will be another great ride tomorrow.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1436.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1439.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Doing some research on the bike I have discovered the cranks are GX1400 (Airborne site is still down) and that they can take a direct mount ring with a 6mm offset, which means I can ditch the spider and chainring bolts. I just found a SRAM 28T direct mount steel ring for 13 bucks which should get me where I want to be as far as gearing (SRAM is making steel rings with an average price of just 20 bucks). The Griffin comes stock with a 94BCD spider 30T which gets me where I need to go, but would like some extra spin for not-so great conditions.

The weather is improving, with temps getting back into the 40's - 46 is our average winter, so having all these snow covered trails start to melt is a great thing. Normally, the snow is melted by noon, but it has stuck around for many weeks now with the colder temps. I am really looking forward to some dry, sandy conditions.

Views: 1435
Size:  32.8 KB
    Never dealt with a 1x11 or even a 1x10 and based off the gearing I've used with my Stache I would prefer a 28T in any 1x setup. So you're saying the switch to a 28T from 30T isn't difficult and not very expensive?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid Orange View Post
    Never dealt with a 1x11 or even a 1x10 and based off the gearing I've used with my Stache I would prefer a 28T in any 1x setup. So you're saying the switch to a 28T from 30T isn't difficult and not very expensive?
    That is correct, SRAM is making the chainrings out of steel to keep the cost down. MSRP on their rings is 20 bucks, which is fantastic considering what everyone else wants for their N/W rings. Weight isn't much of a penalty since you lose the spider and the chainring bolts. The indentions you see at 3, 8, and 10 o'clock positions on the ring above are where the torx head screws hold the direct mount ring to the crank arm, and where/how the current spider is mounted to the crank.

Once the 28T shows up I will add some pictures on the installation.

mtbr member
    That's a great price for a N/W ring. The direct mount crankset and ring are the way to go for 1x. It's also the only way that I know of that allows you to go smaller than 30t.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt n Dust View Post
    That's a great price for a N/W ring. The direct mount crankset and ring are the way to go for 1x. It's also the only way that I know of that allows you to go smaller than 30t.
    Agreed - plus finding one for 13 bucks made it even sweeter, although I had to pay three bucks in shipping. According to tracking, it should be at the house today, and will get installed tonight!

More snow and ice rolled in last night, I am not sure the snow covered trails will ever melt. Crazy having snow on the ground for over a month now...

mtbr member
    The new 28T ring arrived along with some new Lizard Skins, one for the Goblin, the other for the Griffin.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1441.jpg

Installing the new ring was a snap, there are only three, T25 torx head screws holding the spider to the crank, so it was just a matter of a quick swap.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1444.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1446.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1447.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1448.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1449.jpg

Not bad! I like how clean it looks, and their isn't much of a weight penalty enough to care.

30T with chain ring bolts and spider - 105 grams
    28T steel direct bolt on - 131 grams

I also weighed out the cranks since I had them taken apart.

Non-drive side crank arm - 241 grams
    Drive side crank arm and spindle - 434 grams

Looking forward to the weekend to get the bike back out, supposed to get back into the 50's, so we should have melting snow here soon.

mtbr member
    OK, since we were in for a bit of rain, I decided to break down the bike for stock weights and a good cleaning since conditions are getting greasy. All weights are stock components.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1453.jpg

Airborne Griffin Stock Weights
    -2246g Frame
    ---94g GXP Pressfit BB
    ---22g RD Hanger and bolt
    -1491g Front Wheel (tape, rim strip, valve, hub, spokes)
    -1667g Rear Wheel (tape, rim strip, valve, hub, spokes)
    --920g 27.5x3. Vee Trax Fatty front
    --930g 27.5x3.25 Vee Trax Fatty rear
    ---95g Front 15mm axle
    ---75g Rear 12mm axle
    --134g Front 180mm Rotor
    ---89g Rear 160mm Rotor
    ---24g 12 Rotor Bolts
    --392g 42-10 Cassette
    --268g Front Brakes
    --285g Rear Brakes
    --265g Rear Derailleur
    --241g Left Crank Arm
    --434g D/S Crank arm and spindle
    --105g 30T Chain ring
    --250g Chain w/ Master Link
    -2146g Front Fork with crown race/star nut
    ---54g Headset Bearings
    ---57g Headset parts (2 headset spacers, cap, bolt, bearing wedge)
    --298g Handlebars
    --131g Stem
    --117g 10-speed shifter
    ---79g Lock on grips w/ plugs
    ---30g Cable housing (3 pcs.) and cable
    --352g Seat
    --350g Seat post
    ---29g Seat post collar
    --370g Pedals, VP Harrier

14040g / 31lbs .3oz

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1455.jpg
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 02-17-2016 at 01:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Sweet ride! I wish the HTA was more like 67 on the Griffin, nice ride regardless!

mtbr member
    Thanks dietz!

mtbr member
    So, in continuation of going through the bike, I removed the Hayes Radar brake pads from the calipers to check on how even wear is. I ended up sanding all four pads to flat as there were only partial pad contact with the rotors. No biggie, but I am not a huge fan as how they go in and out of the caliper. Most tabs on brake pads is what you hold onto putting them into the caliper, but not on the Radars, the tabs go into the caliper first making it an awkward install since you don't want to touch the pads too much. I ended up using an 8mm allen wrench to push out the pads, and to push them back in once I wiped it down with alcohol. Don't get me wrong, they stop great, and aren't noisy, but they missed the mark with maintenance.

I can see some XT Brakes in my future....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I was wondering about the paint quality?.....I noticed the demo bike in one of the Sea Otter pictures had a paint chip up around the head tube....wouldn't expect a high end paint job on a bike at this price point....on the other hand, its a mountain bike, its supposed to have a few beauty marks!!
    Thanks guys!! I only have one complaint so far, and that is a nasty paint chip from shipping on the right side chainstay. Other than that, the bike is flawless. I unfortunately have to work all week, but I plan on hitting the trails again come Friday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rshauvin View Post
    I was wondering about the paint quality?.....I noticed the demo bike in one of the Sea Otter pictures had a paint chip up around the head tube....wouldn't expect a high end paint job on a bike at this price point....on the other hand, its a mountain bike, its supposed to have a few beauty marks!!
    The paint quality is excellent - the chip happened in shipping, just one of those things that I can cover up with a sticker. Conditions still aren't even close to being normal with all the snow we have here. Once the thaw and dry-out happens, its back to the sand and rocks, and the true test of the paint. My Goblin frame has stood up to the abuse, a nick here and there, but I think the Griffin will be just as solid.

(I need a new sticker sheet, Airborne! )

mtbr member
    As I mentioned, I was going through the bike, specifically the Hayes brakes. No matter how much I get everything centered, one brake pull and I am right back to an intermittent squeak/brake pad rub. This goes for front and back brakes. After an hour of frustration, I pulled off both front and rear Hayes rotors, and switched to my Avids, which were on the Goblin until I put a set of Windcutters on there. After a quick sanding and alcohol wipe-down, they went onto the bike for centering, and another brake lever pull. Now, there is no brake rub from either wheel. Are the Hayes rotors that flimsy??

mtbr member
    Just a week old. Used some parts from the hardtail and it's at 29.96 lbs. before I go tubeless. I guess they changed the top tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Let's see those Griffins!!-2016-02-18-13.13.13-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike-geek View Post
    Just a week old. Used some parts from the hardtail and it's at 29.96 lbs. before I go tubeless. I guess they changed the top tube.
    Usually, the Small bikes have the bent top tube to increase standover height. I am impressed by the weight! What did you end up changing out?

Forgot to mention, you will drop another 600+ grams going tubeless.

mtbr member
    Seatpost and seat - Enve post and Selle Italia Flight seat. Bar and stem - Syntace stem and Easton carbon bars, 31.7. 28.5 lbs after losing the tubes will be nice.

mtbr member
    Ahhh - I love carbon, but only have an aluminum budget... Nice ride, glad you showed it dirty!

mtbr member
    Any tips on getting the Vee tires to seal for tubeless?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike-geek View Post
    Any tips on getting the Vee tires to seal for tubeless?
    I had absolute HELL getting the Vee to set up tubeless. I ended up taking both wheels to work (a Ford Dealership) and using the shops main compressor as a floor pump was futile. I used a tube to set the bead on one side, but even then, we had to attach a straight 1/4 inch fitting with no shut-off valve just to get enough in there to push the other bead up onto the rim. Lots of soap and water and two extra hands from a friend to hold part of the bead on the rim while blasting the valve with as much air as I could get. In hindsight, since the wheels came pre-taped, I should have added another layer of tape to help make the bead set a bit easier.

My next upgrade is going to be some kind of pump like Bontrager's Flash Charger, maybe that will be the ticket to get it to set at home. Until then, I refuse to even think about taking the tire off the rim unless I absolutely have to.

I finally got some decent trail time in this weekend, was able to get 26 miles of fine riding in. I love this bike! It really eats up the sand out here. Only downside so far is my fitness, I notice how much heavier the bike is on climbs, but the 28T compensates saving me a bit of energy.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1466.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1467.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1468.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1472.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've only taken it out a few times so far. Just itching to get back onto the trails again. Still working on the tire pressure. 18psi seems to be good for now, less and I get a ton of self steer.

I got the front to set up tubeless, but even a compressor couldn't convince the rear tire to seat, so it's got a tube for now.

Let's see those Griffins!!-20160213_131806-1024x576.jpg
    Let's see those Griffins!!-20160213_131758-1-1024x576.jpg
    Coaching: http://wgcmtb.org
    Riding: Santa Cruz Superlight 29
    Riding: Airborne Griffin
    Riding: Motobecane Cross Outlaw XV

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MyZenNolan View Post
    I've only taken it out a few times so far. Just itching to get back onto the trails again. Still working on the tire pressure. 18psi seems to be good for now, less and I get a ton of self steer.

I got the front to set up tubeless, but even a compressor couldn't convince the rear tire to seat, so it's got a tube for now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160213_131806-1024x576.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	325.2 KB 
ID:	1051784
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160213_131758-1-1024x576.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	292.2 KB 
ID:	1051787
    I think I am pushing it when it comes to pressure, but I run 12 in back, 10 up front, and I am 200 lbs geared up. I think the pressure feels great on the trail, I don't feel any squirm, and it really soaks up the small stuff. I don't get much self-steer at all, but I do notice it doesn't take much steering input to get the bike to react, causing me to over-steer sometimes.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm 206lbs, so If it ever stops raining and snowing I'll have to play with the PSI out on some real trails. I know 12 was too low, but that was when I had the front tube in. Better dirt may be the solution.

Go away snow, I refuse to wear cold weather gear any more!

mtbr member
    I just placed my order for the Griffin - 20

Thanks for the photos and info. And yes, I can see the streak of gold flake in the green paint in your post #41, s0ul_chicken!

Looks like I will just leave the tubes in if it was so much trouble and only saving about 1 pound.

I love alloy hardtails. And now with Boost & Plus...I just can't wait!

Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkThistle View Post
    I just placed my order for the Griffin - 20

Thanks for the photos and info. And yes, I can see the streak of gold flake in the green paint in your post #41, s0ul_chicken!

Looks like I will just leave the tubes in if it was so much trouble and only saving about 1 pound.

I love alloy hardtails. And now with Boost & Plus...I just can't wait!

Eric
    I would still do the tubeless thing and really take advantage of the lower pressures - I know I said it was a hassle, but the pay off is totally worth it. Plus knowing what I know now, the next time I have to change a tire it won't be so bad with another layer of tape.

Be sure to post up pictures, you are going to love that bike!!

mtbr member
    Thanks, and yes I will be posting up pictures for sure!

So, the rims just need another layer of tape to make the conversion easier?

Eric

mtbr member
    Thanks, and yes I will be posting up pictures for sure!

So, the rims just need another layer of tape to make the conversion easier?

Eric
    Yep, having another layer of tape would help tremendously, and I would also use a tube to set one side of the bead as well. This way you are only having to worry about trying to set one side, and get some extra hands to hold up part of the bead.

mtbr member
    Thanks s0ul_chicken.

I have a friend that will help me convert to tubeless. Thanks for the additional info.

I also like your 28t direct mount chainring. I can see one of those in my future!

My next post here will be showing off my new Griffin!!!

Eric

mtbr member
    Thanks s0ul_chicken.

I have a friend that will help me convert to tubeless. Thanks for the additional info.

I also like your 28t direct mount chainring. I can see one of those in my future!

My next post here will be showing off my new Griffin!!!

Eric
    Looking forward to seeing it!!

I was noticing some rotational noise from the hub, so I disassembled the driver and I see there is a pawl that does not extend out like the other two. Matter of fact, it is a full millimeter short of fully extending out. I contacted Sun Ringle, and have sent in pictures per their request to see what my issue is. Tell me, do you see it, too?

EDIT - I just got word from Sun Ringle regarding the hub, they say it does appear that one of the pawls is sitting too low, so they are sending me a spring and pawl set. Nice! Thanks to Sun Ringle for the prompt response! They also recommend a very light, thin oil such as Phil Wood Tenacious Oil.
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 03-01-2016 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    My Griffin landed yesterday. This morning I started to put it together.

Got it out of the box and cut off the protective stuff and went to mount the handlebar. Hmm, no - this way doesn't look right. That way doesn't look right. Decided to strip the bar and see how things naturally wanted to go.

Let me just say - the cable routing is horrible.

But, not only that - my rear brake is 180* off from where it naturally wants to fall. To mount the brake lever the proper way - the C-clips just blow right off. In fact, the one that was installed to the rear of the top tube is severely deformed form the tension of the twisted cable.

So frustrated that I am stopping for today and going to try again tomorrow.

Here is how the lever wants to orient without twisting the hose/cable:

Once twisted 180* to mount on the bar, the C clips just go flying away.

So far, not impressed at all.

I purchased a Motobecane Fantom29 Pro SL last September and had it up and running in 2 hours. Flawless.

By comparison, this is a mess.

Eric

mtbr member
    My Griffin landed yesterday. This morning I started to put it together.

Got it out of the box and cut off the protective stuff and went to mount the handlebar. Hmm, no - this way doesn't look right. That way doesn't look right. Decided to strip the bar and see how things naturally wanted to go.

Let me just say - the cable routing is horrible.

But, not only that - my rear brake is 180* off from where it naturally wants to fall. To mount the brake lever the proper way - the C-clips just blow right off. In fact, the one that was installed to the rear of the top tube is severely deformed form the tension of the twisted cable.

So frustrated that I am stopping for today and going to try again tomorrow.

Here is how the lever wants to orient without twisting the hose/cable:

Once twisted 180* to mount on the bar, the C clips just go flying away.

So far, not impressed at all.

I purchased a Motobecane Fantom29 Pro SL last September and had it up and running in 2 hours. Flawless.

By comparison, this is a mess.

Eric
    I agree, the C-clips are worthless, but by some safety law, they cannot use zip-ties - something about sharp edges. They were immediately junked. I also changed the routing of the front brake, but didn't have any issues with the orientation of the brake levers themselves. Trash the C-clips and go with zip ties to fix the orientation. Good luck!!

mtbr member
    That does look odd. You might go through and release the brake cable line all the way back to the caliper, lightly mount the lever the way you want it, re-run the line and then tighten the lever. My Airborne took about 15 minutes for complete assembly without issue: bars, wheels, seatpost, and pedals. Maybe your cable was twisted up a bit somewhere in the process of packing the bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks s0ul. Thanks Dirt.

I took a nap, read your posts, and started over. Got her together. Still think the cable routing is whack. I used the zip ties but, as you can see, not ideal. I see new brakes in my future anyway.

First real ride tomorrow.

Yeah, except for my frustration this morning, I am very impressed. Everything else seems to push all my buttons!

Thanks Guys.

Eric

{and thanks for putting up with my whining & complaining - I guess getting old does make one "cranky"}

mtbr member
    Thanks s0ul. Thanks Dirt.

I took a nap, read your posts, and started over. Got her together. Still think the cable routing is whack. I used the zip ties but, as you can see, not ideal. I see new brakes in my future anyway.

First real ride tomorrow.

Yeah, except for my frustration this morning, I am very impressed. Everything else seems to push all my buttons!

Thanks Guys.

Eric

{and thanks for putting up with my whining & complaining - I guess getting old does make one "cranky"}

Yes, yes! And the older you get the crankiness dial seems to inch up toward 11 - at least in my case this much is true. I am glad you got it sorted (I am not a fan of the brakes either) and get to give it a nice break-in ride. Take lots of pics!!

mtbr member
    Oh, My, GOD!

I started riding again last August.

Best loop was 56 minutes @ Callahan State Park (the Marlboro side.)

That was when I was in shape.

Today? At age 52? With tubes in a PLUS Bike?

53 minutes.

BLOWN.

AWAY.

Eric.

mtbr member

More pictures

mtbr member
    Sun Ringle was right on top of my hub issue, and straight sent me a spring and pawl kit, ratchet ring kit, and the removal tool. Nice! New parts installed, and the hub sounds angrier than ever!

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1523.jpg

From Sunday's 20 mile stint, this bike is really at home here in the desert.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1537.jpg

mtbr member
    Looking Good!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Took it out to an easy loop (Lake Side trail) on Antelope Island with my daughter.

It was a lot of fun to get riding again. I can't wait to get out to more trails.

Let's see those Griffins!!-12528734_549437505233518_1576177265_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Like it never happened! I took one of the Airborne stickers and cut it to cover the paint chip on the seat stay. It looks like the decal is actually supposed to be there.

Let's see those Griffins!!-24907883703_51ba93fc0d_k.jpg

mtbr member
    I agree, the C-clips are worthless, but by some safety law, they cannot use zip-ties - something about sharp edges.
    This caught my eye. Is it really true? Is there a regulation preventing use of zip ties?

I get the sharp edge thing. I actually trim my zip ties using a razor knife so as to get smooth cuts. Doing that without nicking the frame -- or my finger! -- takes some care, and some time to do right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    This caught my eye. Is it really true? Is there a regulation preventing use of zip ties?

I get the sharp edge thing. I actually trim my zip ties using a razor knife so as to get smooth cuts. Doing that without nicking the frame -- or my finger! -- takes some care, and some time to do right.
    '

Good idea! I just used a dykes tool and called it good, but that would make it much cleaner looking. A while back, there was a user posting up on how badly the c-clips were, BDF came back and said that they didn't have a choice but to use those due to safety regulations.

mtbr member
    Waiting for this bag of goodies to show up at the door - UPGRADE!

Let's see those Griffins!!-p5pb13187232.jpg

mtbr member
    Waiting for this bag of goodies to show up at the door - UPGRADE!
    New brakes? Will you be keeping us in suspense, or do we get to know what's under all that bubbly-wrap?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    New brakes? Will you be keeping us in suspense, or do we get to know what's under all that bubbly-wrap?
    Oh yes! New shoes for the Griffin are on the way, a new set of Guide R's and rotors to replace the Radar Comps. I found them as take-offs on Pinkbike for 165. The RC's are going on a buddies drift trike, so they will be recycled (and out of my house).

For an FYI if anyone needs the info - Front hose length is 800mm, Rear hose length is 1350mm on the large frames. What came on the bike is more like 1450mm in the rear, and needs to be shortened if kept.

mtbr member
    Nice...do I see a dropper post in there? No?
    Just ordered the eten lever for $120 for my Griffin. Also just arrived is the 28t sram chainwheel. Good advice from you, s0ul. (the knees, the knees.)

Rock that Griffin!

(best bike I have ever ridden is the griffin! Just WOW everytime.)

Eric

mtbr member
    Thanks MT! I wanted my first upgrade to be another eTen, but I don't mind waiting if that means I can have a better braking system on the bike. I will also say I eyeball the eTen on my Goblin and think I would have so much MORE fun if I just moved it over to the Griffin. I don't want to anger the Goblin though....

mtbr member
    Came today. eTen Lever. Taking the Griffin to the next level tomorrow.

Got some ParkTool SAC-2 on advice regarding 1 bolt clamps.

Installation should take about 2 minutes!

Eric

mtbr member
    Came today. eTen Lever. Taking the Griffin to the next level tomorrow.

Got some ParkTool SAC-2 on advice regarding 1 bolt clamps.

Installation should take about 2 minutes!

Eric
    I was going to ask you how you routed your cable, but never-mind!
    Very cool upgrade, it is amazing what you can do on the bike with the seat out of the way!

mtbr member
    Yep. Figured the cable routing would be a PITA so I went with the Lever.

Photos tomorrow!

Eric

mtbr member
    Looking forward to pictures!

I am not too sure I could try the lever style, too afraid I would wreck trying to drop the seat or bring it back up. I looked at Jagwire, and they have some hardware that might work to secure the cable housing to the brake housing, at least I think I am headed in the right direction.

Let's see those Griffins!!-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    That looks like the solution S0ul - didn't think to look for something like that. You have so many great ideas! And I subscribe to your Over Maintenance philosophy.

Right On!

I have the ETEN Lever installed. For some reason I thought the Lever was off to the left side but it is Dead Center. It is as natural as grabbing your nuts - very nice motion and MUCH easier that I thought it would be. No Regrets going with the Lever and keeps the Cockpit nice and clean.

And in the Fully Down position:

I used the SAC-2 friction paste and WOW does that stuff work! In retrospect I don't think it was necessary at all. This one bolt clamp is so well built I can't help but be impressed. Very overbuilt and the teeth really engage. Still, it can't hurt (unless you get the stuff where it doesn't belong! I was SUPER careful not to get it on the shaft or anywhere else. Threw away all rags that I used to wipe my hands (don't need that stuff on my chain by accident!)

Test ride proved the worth. ETEN is a great low cost option at least on first impression. I have the KS LEV on my Fantom29 and it has been very reliable so I expect the same here. Same tiny bit of wiggle left to right but totally un-noticable when riding.

I was curious about the name "ETEN" so I googled it. It means "Giant" and I must agree, this is a Giant in the low cost dropper post world. Of course long term testing will be the judge and I will update with any issues or lack thereof.

Eric

mtbr member
    Next project is the 28 tooth chainring. Went for the super expensive ($77.00 dollars!) but lighter weight option. 6mm offset.

Seeing that the post added some weight I have decided to go lighter on all future upgrades (and lighten my wallet in the process!)

Next will be brakes upgrade. The Hayes Radar are okay, but nothing compared to the Sram Guide RS that came stock on my Fantom29. Those Guide brakes impress everyone that tries them, including hardcore Shimano XT fans.

Need to let the bank account cool down first or the wife will have something to say. No Thanks!

Eric

mtbr member
    WOO! Nice and slick!! Digging on the upgrades you have done MT, and you are going to like that 28T, it really gets the bike to climb like a billy-goat! Great pictures of the work, keep them coming! I am also glad you are a fan of the Guides, I read nothing but good things.

I have the Guides on the bike, but ran out of time and I haven't had the chance to get the wheels on yet to start the bed-in process. I will get some riding in over the weekend with pics and a report on the new Guides.

mtbr member
    So the honey-do's completely took over my Saturday, so Sunday was test day for the new Guide R's. It took a mile or so before I started to get the hang of the brakes, adjusting the reach on both sides, but the first few lever pulls kinda freaked me out a little bit as at first it didn't seem like they didn't have too much bite to them, but then again, I was used to on/off only on the Griffin. By the time I started a downhill segment called First Across the Wash on Rigor Mortis, everything was dialed in and felt smooth, now that I know how the brake modulation feels. The downhill segment is dominated by my Goblin at a 2:04, whereas my quickest run time with the Griffin was at a 2:11. The brakes made a HUGE difference in my riding, so much so that I completed that segment in 2 minutes flat! STUNNED. Having precise control over the brakes is quite amazing, to say the least. Being able to lightly trail-brake through fast corners, gobs of power to shut-down the on tight switch-backs, feather-touch control when and where I need it. NICE! Great upgrade, money well spent.

OK, I am going to change paths a bit for a moment. First off, I have no pictures of my 18 mile jaunt from yesterday. That is not to say I didn't take any... I will explain. Last year the Mrs. and I were in Telluride for our anniversary, and she bought me an Osprey Raptor 6 pack. Great pack to have, but I swear something metaphysical is happening when I wear this pack. I hear things. Seriously. I hear voices, I hear bikes but when I look around, nothing there. I have pulled off of the trail after hearing a loud hub coming my way only to find I am not getting passed by anyone. Switching back to my old pack, those "issues" go away, but I really like that pack. My junk is haunted...
    I took well over a dozen pictures yesterday, but when I got home, the memory card was gone from the camera, and the camera has no fixed storage. Now, when I take a picture without a memory card, the camera goes off and beeps like crazy and says, "hey idiot, I don't have a memory card installed." So how could it be I took that many pictures, with no card installed. I cannot find that memory card anywhere to save my life, and I am kinda freaked out a little bit... I think my pack ate my memory card.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    delete
    Last edited by mtbikerbill; 04-04-2016 at 08:16 AM. Reason: delete

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbikerbill View Post
    Hmm. Strange.

Are you certain you don't have it set to take images without the card? If its a Nikon, it should be in the function section of the menu (f9?) where you can choose to let it be OK to take images without the card. If that's set to not OK, then it doesn't even let you take an image, it has an error message. At least that's the way it is on the 7100, D3, and 750 bodies I'm familiar with.

Jeremy
    Right there with you, it has no fixed storage, so I cannot save a photo at all without a card.. It isn't even an option in the settings, but then again, it is just a hand-held camera.

mtbr member
    Nice move on the Guide Brakes! Now your are "complete". I've got to do the same with my Griffin. My rear Hayes Radar already needs a bleed. Might just switch instead of wasting money on their bleed kit.

Spooky Stuff with that pack!

mtbr member
    Nice move on the Guide Brakes! Now your are "complete". I've got to do the same with my Griffin. My rear Hayes Radar already needs a bleed. Might just switch instead of wasting money on their bleed kit.

Spooky Stuff with that pack!
    Went back onto the trail last night after work, stopped at both places I took pictures in hopes I could find the card, no luck. So, I am getting a new card today...

The Guides will be my first and last upgrade for a while as I have a new project in the works that will take up most of my time and budget. I can't wait! More to come there soon.

mtbr member
    I looked up the Hayes bleed kit for the Radar...$50.00

No Thanks!

And what good is "venom" when they lose their fangs? I don't even think I will keep them to disappoint myself or anyone else in the future.

I saw your post with the hose length...more good info s0ul.

I wish Airborne had gone with a different brakeset. What an awesome package in the Griffin to be tainted with this Junk. Everything else just ROCKS.

Can't wait to see your new project...

Eric

mtbr member
    I looked up the Hayes bleed kit for the Radar...$50.00

No Thanks!

And what good is "venom" when they lose their fangs? I don't even think I will keep them to disappoint myself or anyone else in the future.

I saw your post with the hose length...more good info s0ul.

I wish Airborne had gone with a different brakeset. What an awesome package in the Griffin to be tainted with this Junk. Everything else just ROCKS.

Can't wait to see your new project...

Eric
    Funny! I like that - what good is "venom" when they lose their fangs. Well, I guess considering the price of the bike, there has to be some give and take somewhere, but it won't stop me touting the bike.
    I can't believe how much faster I am on the Griffin with the Guides, truly amazing! I also finally picked up another memory card, but I need to show the Goblin some love for the ride after work.

mtbr member
    And me as well - the bike is an amazing deal - just factor in new brakes as part of the price and you still come out WAY ahead of the competition.

While my rear brake has withered to uselessness, I am focused on my other bike as well. Not an Airborne, but I just picked up the Easton Haven Carbon 29" hoops from price point on "Blow-Out" sale. Plenty of distraction until my new Guide Brakes arrive for the Mighty Griffin!

Where are all the other Griffin Lovers? I can't imagine buying this bike and not being blown away. Time will tell...

Eric

mtbr member
    I guess some aren't as proud of their bikes as we are!

40 percent chance of rain on Saturday, we need the rain badly, but also hoping I can get some seat time. If it does rain, I am taking the Griffin out to Pinion Mesa on Sunday, as the rain really helps with the loose sandy conditions that exist on that loop that everyone complains about. Not this kid... bring on the sand!

mtbr member
    Friday night and the wife and I are talking about bikes, eating pizza, having a brew, when she asks me why I haven't taken the dropper off the Goblin and put it on the Griffin yet... Well, good question! I went to the LBS on Saturday, purchased some new cable housing and some stick-on cable guides, and proceeded to do the swap. Everything went fine, the dropper works great, and I am ready to ride.

The first five minutes at Pinion Mesa were fine, but I started to develop a very nasty drive-side BB creak under load. I went a mile before pulling off the trail and did a quick trail side teardown of the cranks. Everything is tight, but no matter what I tried, the creak is still very much present. The only thing left I can do is to pull the bearings (I need to get the tool anyway...) out of the BB, perhaps they just need a bit of grease between the bearing and the frame. Another option is springing for an adapter from PraxisWorks. Either way, I am going to have to park the Griffin until I can figure out how to stop the creak, I don't want to incur any damage to the frame or the cranks.

I also had my first wreck on the Griffin, scratched the frame in a couple of places, but the dropper was HELLA FUN! Glad I made the swap.

Finally, pics of the new Guides, and some overall shots.

mtbr member
    All set on the BB woes, ordered in a Wheels Manufacturing PF30 Threaded BB, and adapters. I will give an update once everything arrives and I can get it installed. Fingers crossed!

Views: 538
Size:  24.0 KB

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that your BB started acting up. Wish it didn't come with Press Fit but now I know what to get if mine starts creaking & groaning!

Question on your brakes - did you stay with 180mm front and 160mm rear? Did you use mounting brackets or are they directly mounted? I'm getting ready to order the Guides and want to do it right the first time.

Currently I'm on Vacation in Panama and going through severe withdrawal. In my dream last night I was riding along and looked down - and I was riding a bar stool! Even I can interpret that one - lol.

Eric

ps: Nice work on the dropper swap. Sorry to hear about the crash! Love the photos -
    Last edited by MilkThistle; 04-12-2016 at 03:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Have fun!!

I stayed with the 180/160, the rotors that came with the brakes are both 160, so I was just going to pick up the size I need when I start ordering parts for the project bike, and then swap from there. I love the Guides, Pinion Mesa is a great testing ground, massive descents over really rough terrain put them through their paces with all the control in the world. I will be getting another set for sure, I can't recommend the Guides highly enough.

EDIT - I didn't use any of the mounting brackets that came withe the brakes, direct mounted to fork and frame.

mtbr member
    Well, I am off to the LBS, this threaded BB will not work on this frame, I am assuming due to the "boost". The BB shell is 89mm, and I failed to see (but it is on the box) that it will work on 61mm up to 86mm, so I am three mm too wide. At this point I am just going to see if I can remove the BB and reassemble it to see if I can at least deal with the creak for now. I will still be looking for the proper conversion, update to come in the future.

mtbr member
    OK, the LBS doesn't sell the tool to remove PF BB's, they claim to use just a punch. I explained my issues, and they suggested to punch out the BB and use a very light layer of anti-seize paste on the BB shell and reassemble.

Good news! It actually worked! It took a bit longer than I thought to get the BB out, but I didn't want to damage anything since I don't have a replacement BB. All is good, took it for a test drive on the streets, rain all weekend has made trail riding impossible for a few days. I will be looking for a threaded BB replacement - not sure if I need to be looking for a BB86/92 replacement or not, research continues!

mtbr member
    Good Job s0ul,

You have skills that I wish I had, but you inspire me to no end! I saw the Wheels MFG press fit with ceramic bearings (and I think the Red will look great) and the Park tool to kick the old one out. I am going to order them for future use (plus the tool to press the new one in).

Did you use the Permatex Aluminium anti-seize? I also have the Park friction paste. Have also read about using LocTite 240(?)...

Congrats on getting the old one out without damage...I don't think I will be so lucky!

Here is my latest pkg for the Griffin:

Next is converting to tubeless...just did my 29'er and MUCH easier than I expected. I do realize, however, these 44.4mm IW rims will be a bit more "Fun" to convert.

Respect!

Eric

mtbr member
    Good Job s0ul,

Did you use the Permatex Aluminium anti-seize? I also have the Park friction paste. Have also read about using LocTite 240(?)...

Next is converting to tubeless...just did my 29'er and MUCH easier than I expected. I do realize, however, these 44.4mm IW rims will be a bit more "Fun" to convert.
    Thanks MT! Glad to see the Guides made it in for the Griffin!

I did use the Permatex Aluminum stuff, which I also have used in the past on carbon parts, but it is a bit messier than Carbon Paste. I have heard of using LocTite, but no experience in using it on a bike. I was just happy the creak went away!

My research in the BB department for the Griffin has finally gotten me (hopefully) to the right spot - I see a threaded one at Wheels MFG. What I should have done was measure up the cups while I had the BB out, but it never crossed my mind at the time. I did find at Competitive Cyclist the listing for the SRAM GXP Pressfit as BB92. It also has the same nomenclature when you zoom in on the picture. I should have spent more time researching instead of jumping the gun on the threaded PF30 - normally I do a much better job getting information. No worries, Wheels is going to let me return it, but I will probably get hit with shipping and a re-stocking fee for my "D'OH!" moment. I have the removal tool on order as I didn't like using a punch, but I will probably wait for the BB on the bike to die before I order another, just so I can take proper measurements to ensure I do pick up the correct one.

Good luck on the tubeless venture, be sure to set one side with a tube and have a friend help hold up the bead onto the rim with lots of soapy water. I will guarantee some cussing, yelling, throwing things, but it will be TOTALLY worth it! Rolling 10.5 psi in front, and 12.5 psi in back really brings the bike to life.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Built from the frame up with some new and older spare parts.
    Decals for fork, new seat post and quick release on order.

Bike is lighter than I expected.

Drivetrain - SRAM X1
    Brakes - Elixir 9
    Fork - Suntour Raidon 27.5+
    Stem - Raceface 60mm 6deg
    Wheelset - Syncros 40x
    Tires - WTB Trailblazer 2.8"
    Saddle - Bontrager Evoke 2
    Cage - Bontrager Carbon

Let's see those Griffins!!-pic4.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-pic5.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zed512 View Post
    Built from the frame up with some new and older spare parts.
    Decals for fork, new seat post and quick release on order.

Bike is lighter than I expected.

Drivetrain - SRAM X1
    Brakes - Elixir 9
    Fork - Suntour Raidon 27.5+
    Stem - Raceface 60mm 6deg
    Wheelset - Syncros 40x
    Tires - WTB Trailblazer 2.8"
    Saddle - Bontrager Evoke 2
    Cage - Bontrager Carbon
    Nice!! What brought about the change with the front fork and the wheelset? Just curious if it was a weight thing or not.

Thanks for sharing!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    To be honest, I had the drivetrain, brakes, saddle, and other stuff around the garage. I acquired the mint frame and fork separately for a great price so had built it up from there. Most expensive part was the rims. Not sure if the build is lighter than stock or not but feels pretty light relative to my 2016 Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Wow, zed512

What a killer setup! I like how the Red contrasts with the Green - very pleasing to the eye.

Great Job - enjoy that beauty!!!

Eric

mtbr member
    Rolled at Anasazi Loop due to the winds, but it was a fun ride! There is a large rock that I have always been hesitant to roll over, but the last time I was on this loop I was passed by a hardcore rider going over that rock. I had never seen anyone go up and over, so that was pretty cool to see. I rolled up to it and tried it, and it was easier than I thought it would be... it always looked so intimidating to me. When I told the guy I was riding with I was going to try it, he snapped some pics for me - he also tried it for the first time, too. I am glad he took some shots, I can see that I could use a shorter stem to get behind the bike a bit further for the fun stuff. It's cool to see the big tubeless tires in action as well.

Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 04-24-2016 at 12:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Here is my Griffin. Tubeless conversion completed. The stock taping worked fine. Just waiting to move to the Georgia mountains in two weeks so I can ride it. I refuse to ride it in Florida. It's a mountain bike. There are no mountains here!

Let's see those Griffins!!-griffin-tubeless-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joevdenne View Post
    Here is my Griffin. Tubeless conversion completed. The stock taping worked fine. Just waiting to move to the Georgia mountains in two weeks so I can ride it. I refuse to ride it in Florida. It's a mountain bike. There are no mountains here!
    Yeah, you need some GA dirt on that ride! Looks great, be sure to post up more pics, especially out where you will be riding. Thanks for sharing!!

mtbr member
    After looking at the 'rock' pictures, I decided to try out a shorter stem, and drop the bars. I took the Mrs. out to breakfast at Carver's in Durango, CO and then walked the main drag. I love Durango, and I love checking out all the bike shops, too. I picked up a RaceFace 50mm stem from 2nd Avenue and installed it on the bike, with the stem as low as it could go. I kept all the spacers on in case I didn't like the way it felt and could easily change the stack height on the trail.

Trail choice for today's ride was the Alien Run, with my first attempt at the Black Hole spur on the Griffin. A techy fun spur that will challenge your riding ability. The Griffin is so much fun with a dropper that I was able to clear all but one rock section (the only section I can NEVER get over...), and made all the crazy little climbs a breeze.

This is my third run at Alien on the Griffin, I was able to clear the hill going to up the monument on my second try, and today was the first time I ever made it up to the top seated. Too friggin awesome! I am surprised how much fun I had today with the new setup. Having the bars slammed and the stem shortened made a world of difference in overall feel, and the control given on the fast descents. All I need to do now is find my hacksaw to cut the steerer tube down. Hats off to Airborne, this is the most fun I have ever had riding!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 61