Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    mtbr member
    How about a picture with the Carbon Ti axle installed? I bet it looks sweet!

Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkThistle View Post
    How about a picture with the Carbon Ti axle installed? I bet it looks sweet!

Eric
    I need to do that sir! I have been off the bike for the past week, I am having some shoulder issues making it hard to really do anything at the moment, including sleep. My last ride was trying out the new axle, not much to report other than I am glad I made the purchase as it looks clean and eliminated any intermittent creak I was getting earlier with the skewer. It wasn't a cheap upgrade, but I love the peace of mind not having to think about the skewer backing off and ruining my ride. This may be my race bike come Oct. 1st as it was getting rather sandy out there. I have been signed up for a while, so even if I am not up to 100 percent I am still riding, it will just be a ride instead of a race for me.

I have a few changes to make to the bike livery, the Mrs. would like to try out the MTB "thing" as she calls it. She actually rode all three Airborne bikes and really enjoyed the Plague, but not the brakes. The SLX's on the Goblin are her preferred brakes, so I will be moving the Formulas to the Goblin, and the SLX's to the Plague. This means I will have to shorten the Formulas and lengthen the SLX's - time to buck up and get ready for some brake work 'hopefully' next weekend.

mtbr member
    Finally back on the bike after two weeks of no riding, however I am still unable to lift my left arm above my head which makes some rather mundane tasks seem almost impossible at times. Anyway, here are some pictures of the Carbon Ti axle mounted to the Griffin. Not much to see, but it is very clean looking. I finally cracked 900 miles for the season so far as well, two weeks off the bike set me back a little but I should be able to pass last seasons mileage total.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_3377.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_3380.jpg

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your shoulder. It's good that you have been able to get back on the bike though. Mine give me fits every ride. That Griffin is looking good! You have a very nice stable of wheeled horses.

mtbr member
    It's all good DnD - an old injury coming back to haunt me. I appreciate the thoughts!

Speaking of coming back to haunt me, it looks like I have some grooves going on with that brake rotor in my picture. I guess it is time to pop out the pads to see what is up!

mtbr member
    I hate old injuries that come back with ANOTHER invoice! Hope that shoulder gets fixed, and for good.

That rear axle is a nice piece of hardware. I found something similar (12x150 @ 182mm 20thread) and it was 1/3 the price but 3 x the weight and looked shoddy. The more I look for a cheap alternative to the Carbon Ti, the more I like the Carbon Ti for 75 Euros (only places I'm finding them is in Europe.) Plus I want it in Red.

Heal Up s0ul_chicken!!!

Eric

mtbr member
    I hate old injuries that come back with ANOTHER invoice! Hope that shoulder gets fixed, and for good.

That rear axle is a nice piece of hardware. I found something similar (12x150 @ 182mm 20thread) and it was 1/3 the price but 3 x the weight and looked shoddy. The more I look for a cheap alternative to the Carbon Ti, the more I like the Carbon Ti for 75 Euros (only places I'm finding them is in Europe.) Plus I want it in Red.

Heal Up s0ul_chicken!!!

Eric
    Thanks Eric! Mine is from crossing a dirt road that was recently bladed, so the transition to The Wall was gone, no way to stop once you go over the lip. That was almost a year ago, and I never did go to the doctor even though it bothered me for a few months. Just being old and stupid, I guess...

It was surprising to see only one retailer in the US sells the Carbon Ti axle, I figured they would be more prevalent in the states. Let us know what you come up with!

You will be glad to know I also took the leap on brake work - I lengthened/bled/installed the SLX brake lines to the Plague, shortened/bled/installed the Formula brakes to the Goblin (my handlebars look like christmas now...), and this weekend after the race I plan on shortening the rear brake line for the Griffin and bleed both front and rear. Only thing left I haven't tried to tackle on my own is wheel truing, but I would rather just drop them off at the LBS so I know they are done right.

Happy riding!

mtbr member

Racing the Griffin

This photo was taken after I passed the two "Tito's Vodka" dudes, the very ones that informed me of my poor decision to ride the Griffin for the race on the way to the trail. How ya like me now?

mtbr member
    Another 50+ mile weekend on the Griffin, this time with some new bars - Diety Topsoil bars in green.

Let's see those Griffins!!-virb0010.jpg

mtbr member
    Looking Good s0ul_chicken!

That trail looks awesome. Good on ya for putting in those miles and racing too!

Been riding my Griffin exclusively lately. Loving the tubeless Rocket Ron 3.0's. Been itching for a new rear hub (I can't stand how loud the stock hub is) and mine has developed a slight "clunk" after shifting (when it re-engages). I'll post pics if I do change anything, of course.

Your Griffin Brother,

Eric

mtbr member
    Looking Good s0ul_chicken!

That trail looks awesome. Good on ya for putting in those miles and racing too!

Been riding my Griffin exclusively lately. Loving the tubeless Rocket Ron 3.0's. Been itching for a new rear hub (I can't stand how loud the stock hub is) and mine has developed a slight "clunk" after shifting (when it re-engages). I'll post pics if I do change anything, of course.

Your Griffin Brother,

Eric
    I hear you (pun intended), the Sun Ringle hubs are noisy, but it lets people know that I am coming their way! I even tried some blue Park Tool grease on the pawls and it is still just as loud. Have you tried removing the hub to see what is going on?

Keep riding!

mtbr member
    Installed:

Ibis 738 Wheelset.
    SRAM direct mount 28 tooth chainring.

I also thoroughly degreased the drivetrain and switched over to Squirt lube.

About the Ibis 738's:

I was shopping for a new rear hub (could not stand how loud the stock unit was) and came across this asymmetric wheelset. It is narrower (35 mm Internal), lighter (1880 gm), and QUIETER (sounds like winding a Fine Swiss Watch instead of shooting a Gatling Gun!). And priced right: $549 for the pair.

And the tubeless setup was Stunningly easy. At first I was going to set them up with tubes and later break one bead and inflate tubeless. Well, I couldn't get the damn tubes in! It's hard to explain, but the way the rim is designed, it is like the tire doesn't want the tube in there!

So, if the tire is so eager to go tubeless, I decided, let's see! POOF, POP, DONE! I could not believe my eyes. Effortless.

Of course, the tires have a more rounded profile now. They look pretty good, and I'm wondering if the stock 45 mm rims are a bit wide for the 3" tires. We will see! I will report back after a few rides on the new hoops.

Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Those hoops look sweet. That's not a bad price at all either!

mtbr member
    NICE! Nice upgrade to the bike MilkThistle, let us know how you like the new wheelset! It is good to see you back on here, it has been a while!

I took a drink from the oval chainring Kool-Aid, installed an Absolute Black 28T oval yesterday, but never got a chance to try it out due to time constraints, and now, rain for the next two days. I am hoping it dries out in time for a Turkey Day ride, and some pictures out on the trail. I am hoping my knees like the setup better, but only time will tell.

Have a great week peeps!

mtbr member
    Anyone have any luck quieting the rear hub? I tried to remove the cassette to get some higher viscosity anything in there but the Shimano tool I have does not fit properly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike-geek View Post
    Anyone have any luck quieting the rear hub? I tried to remove the cassette to get some higher viscosity anything in there but the Shimano tool I have does not fit properly.
    Nope - nothing I have tried works to calm it down, even blue Park Tool grease did nothing to change the volume of the hub pawls.

mtbr member

Fork mod - 120mm to 140mm

Since the weather has been absolute crap, I decided to look into the Magnum Comp fork since I am due (or should say over-due) for a service. What caught my eye was the option to have this fork run at 140mm vs. the 120mm, so I emailed Manitou and asked what my options were to make that happen. They responded saying it couldn't be done since it was an OE fork spec'd for 120mm. I can see why they would say this as any modification would essentially void the warranty of the bike and probably the fork itself. So on that note, take that into consideration before making any changes on your Griffin. I am sure Jesse would agree.

After getting that email, I decided to move forward with the fork service without even thinking twice about the 140mm travel. That is, until I removed the casting and had a good look at the Air Spring and Rebound Damper - they both have a plastic spacer at the bottom of each 'leg' measuring 22mm. Normally I wouldn't have thought twice, but I just so happened to have the parts break down in front of me, and those spacers are not listed in the parts list, rather four different part numbers for complete air assemblies in different lengths, but nothing on the Damper side is listed for spacers or different length assemblies.

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2962.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2965.jpg

OK, so with the spacers removed, the next question in the mix is what is the clearance from the arch to the frame? Will it smack the frame on a full bottom-out? I put the lowers back on without the internals and bottomed out the fork, this left just over a quarter of an inch between the arch and frame. I don't think travel will go that far, as the exposed stanchion length is almost 160mm on these forks.

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2968.jpg

Right now everything is disassembled and cleaned, ready to be put back together with a fresh oil change. Once I get everything back together, I will bottom out the fork again to see where it lands, then go take it for a test ride. Right now my only day of possible riding is Sunday after the next storm passes through, so I will have to wait until then to do any testing. More to come!

Airborne Flight Crew
    Got my attention

If I get where you're coming from - you're thinking that removing the spacer allows more travel by letting the fork compress more (hence the concern with the brace hitting the frame)?

As far as you can tell - does it change the ale to crown distance? I'd also check where an inflated tires comes in regard to bottoming out against the crown.

Interesting stuff! can't wait to see your results!
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Nailed it Jerry! That is my hope, getting a bit more travel out of the fork by removing both spacers on each assembly. As far as the axle to crown distance, I don't think that will change, but I won't know until I re-assemble the fork and air it up. Stance shouldn't change either as you are only increasing top-end travel of the fork. I am really excited about this mod, it should really help when I get a bit rowdy on the downhills.

mtbr member
    Since there is a storm blowing through, I may as well finish the fork service to get the bike ready for the test ride. I removed the spacers and followed the rest of the manual to complete the service. Compared to the Reba, this fork is much easier to work on.

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2970.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2974.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2992.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3013.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3024.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3030.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3084.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3111.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3198.jpg

And finally, measurement of the O-ring after full compression.

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3209.jpg

One final note in my findings - the rider weight/lbs pressure is now much more accurate. It is listed that I should be at 91psi, but at 120mm, it was way too stiff for me. I eventually dialed it in to 75psi, but now at 140mm, 90psi just about nailed it out on today's free ride around the Frisbee golf course. I rode all the fun rock formations I could with emphasis on really getting full travel out of the Manitou. I had a freaking blast and the fork feels even better at 140 than it did at 120! More pics to come!

mtbr member
    I had my riding bud take some vids of the compression, so I am waiting for those to show up. I want to check out the frame by frame just because I am geeking out on this mod so much...

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3244.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3245.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3247.jpg

mtbr member
    A few pictures showing compression on the fork at 140mm.

Let's see those Griffins!!-140test-00-00-02-836.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-140test-00-00-02-936.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-140test-00-00-02-969.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-140test-00-00-03-036.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Can someone measure the length and thread of the small bolt that holds the blue rebound adjuster to the fork. The knob fell off and I could not find the bolt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATVMXR View Post
    Can someone measure the length and thread of the small bolt that holds the blue rebound adjuster to the fork. The knob fell off and I could not find the bolt.
    If you take off the screw that holds the red compression knob, it is that thread pitch, but twice as long. Hope that helps some!

EDIT - I will remove the screw tonight and take an overall length measurement for you tonight. I will post up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nice Work on lengthening the suspension to 140mm! So - it is just the removal of some parts?

One thing I am thinking - the extra 20mm of travel will make the head angle about 1* steeper at full compression. I think that could be a problem for me on some of the steeper rock & root strewn trails of New England on the downhills.

Awesome work s0ul_chicken!

Eric

mtbr member
    Nice Work on lengthening the suspension to 140mm! So - it is just the removal of some parts?

One thing I am thinking - the extra 20mm of travel will make the head angle about 1* steeper at full compression. I think that could be a problem for me on some of the steeper rock & root strewn trails of New England on the downhills.

Awesome work s0ul_chicken!

Eric
    Thanks Eric! You may not even notice the 1 degree, I know I felt very comfortable on my outing on Sunday pushing on that fork. I will also say it feels more plush after the complete service as well.

As far as the parts, you only need to remove the two white plastic spacers, and they just slide off the shaft. I have them highlighted below:
    Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2970.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    If you take off the screw that holds the red compression knob, it is that thread pitch, but twice as long. Hope that helps some!

EDIT - I will remove the screw tonight and take an overall length measurement for you tonight. I will post up tomorrow.
    Thank you, I appreciate that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATVMXR View Post
    OK, sorry for the delay... the length of the screw is 15.5mm, or .61 inches. I don't know the pitch, but you can go to any home improvement place and find out with one of their bolt/nut templates with the compression cap screw.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Let's see those Griffins!!-snapchat-1267649295.jpg

New to MTB and the forums, just got the Griffin today beautiful bike liking the paint job just amazing! Only thing is Airborne send me the wrong frame size wanted to try this baby out this weekend sucks that I won't be able too now! Talked to Jesse over at Airborne, waiting for my replacement great customer service!! bike should be here next week!!
    Last edited by Aaront509; 12-29-2016 at 07:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Fully expecting a complete slop-fest, I made up some mud guards to put on the Griffin for the weekend ride. In town everything was just wet, but when we rode up to the trail, there was three inches of fresh snow on the ground. Only footprints were on the trail, with a fat bike trail here and there weaving through, so we were the first ones to push some snow around. The first lap took 33 minutes to complete the 2.5 mile loop, so it was very slow going, but the Griffin handled it like a champ. I took point just so the two I was riding with had a head start with their skinnies, lots of snow pack crunch making the trail. This bike is just way too much fun in the snow! I will also keep the guards on there for the time being, I need to change a few things to the next ones I make, and I can see mud in my future.

Let's see those Griffins!!-20170122_102951.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a question for everyone out there that is interested in plus size tire bikes. I'm going to be getting my first one this year. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices.
    1. trek stache 5
    2. airborne griffin
    3. Specialized fuse comp 6fattie
    this is the order I am interested in them at this time. Has anyone had the chance to ride any of these and compare them? your thoughts and impressions would be greatly appreciated. I rode the fuse, and the stache at seperate bike shops on 2 different days so its hard to tell which one i truly like better. and I have not had the chance to ride a griffin so, can anyone tell me if the griffin frame feels much different than the goblin frame?
    Last edited by iluvny081; 02-20-2017 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Since we have had less-than-ideal conditions for a while, it is time to go through the bike, especially since I am hearing an irregular noise from the rear hub. Upon removal, a pawl fell out, meaning I had a broken spring. Not a big deal considering I have another spring and pawls to put onto the hub, however, this means I need to check the hub more often.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvny081 View Post
    I have a question for everyone out there that is interested in plus size tire bikes. I'm going to be getting my first one this year. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices.
    1. trek stache 5
    2. airborne griffin
    this is the order I am interested in them at this time. Has anyone had the chance to ride any of these and compare them? your thoughts and impressions would be greatly appreciated. I rode the fuse, and the stache at seperate bike shops on 2 different days so its hard to tell which one i truly like better. and I have not had the chance to ride a griffin so, can anyone tell me if the griffin frame feels much different than the goblin frame?
    I rode a buddies 6fattie, liked it, but not as much as my Griffin. What is funny is he said the same exact thing - he wished he would have sprung for the Griffin instead after riding it. Not sure how that will help you out, but perhaps you could compare geo numbers and go from there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Since we have had less-than-ideal conditions for a while, it is time to go through the bike, especially since I am hearing an irregular noise from the rear hub. Upon removal, a pawl fell out, meaning I had a broken spring. Not a big deal considering I have another spring and pawls to put onto the hub, however, this means I need to check the hub more often.

I rode a buddies 6fattie, liked it, but not as much as my Griffin. What is funny is he said the same exact thing - he wished he would have sprung for the Griffin instead after riding it. Not sure how that will help you out, but perhaps you could compare geo numbers and go from there.
    cool, thanks for the reply. the biggest thing i disliked about the fuse was how short the stock steerer is. I know riser bars can help resolve that issue but would rather have a bike come with a longer steerer and trim it down myself. How does your goblin frame differ from you griffin comfort wise? I know your goblin is a medium and your griffin is a large. but which one do you find more comfortable? I realize this might be a tough question to answer.

mtbr member
    cool, thanks for the reply. the biggest thing i disliked about the fuse was how short the stock steerer is. I know riser bars can help resolve that issue but would rather have a bike come with a longer steerer and trim it down myself. How does your goblin frame differ from you griffin comfort wise? I know your goblin is a medium and your griffin is a large. but which one do you find more comfortable? I realize this might be a tough question to answer.
    I am way more comfortable on the Griffin compared to the Goblin due to the level of traction and big tubeless tires, but the overall setup is very, very close. Anymore, the only time the Goblin gets used is if I have to perform repairs on the Griffin or Plague. The Griffin is also my go-to bike for almost every ride since the fun factor is so much higher compared to the other two bikes. I keep the Goblin around as it is a fast XC bike for races, the Plague for out of town trips and harsher rock trails.

mtbr member
    1. trek stache 5
    2. airborne griffin
    I've tried the Stache and 6fattie. Very surprised by the Trek. It is a very fun monster truck of a bike and pretty agile for 29+. It's not great for long or technical climbs though and I wouldn't personally choose it. The Fuse 6fattie was okay...the Stumpjumper version is better IMO.

The best plus bike I have tried so far was the Orbea Loki. Awesome geo/fit, good specs, and some of the most fun I have had on a bike. Impressive traction and manuverability.

I have not tried a Griffin though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the info guys. It's greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Rear axle fell apart last night as I was trying to stop the darn creaking. Tried calling but the number i have just keeps ringing and the e-mail I had for Mike is bouncing. Ideas?
    Would this work? - Rockshox Maxle Lite Rear Skewer > Components > Wheel Parts > Thru Axles | Jenson USA

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike-geek View Post
    Rear axle fell apart last night as I was trying to stop the darn creaking. Tried calling but the number i have just keeps ringing and the e-mail I had for Mike is bouncing. Ideas?
    Would this work? - Rockshox Maxle Lite Rear Skewer > Components > Wheel Parts > Thru Axles | Jenson USA

Thanks
    That will work, just make sure you order the 150mm length. I almost went that route, but ditched the skewer altogether for a bolt axle instead, no more creaking, but it was almost twice as much as the Maxle. How can you put a price tag on wondrous silence?

Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Trails are dry, temps in the 70's, perfect time to get the Griffin back out into the sand and pinion. I am also trying out a new medium sized Alpkit Enduro Pod instead of the saddlebag I have, I got tired of the bag getting loose on me while riding. This kit was designed to ride behind the steerer tube and on top of the top tube of the bicycle. I wasn't fond of the idea of putting it there, so I strapped it to the down tube and seat tube right under the water bottle. Lots of room in the kit for my tools, tube, and phone. So far the kit is brilliant, it has not come loose at all over the past five rides, and it fits perfectly in the frame so you don't have to worry about hitting the kit with your feet while pedaling. Another bonus, no sweaty back from the hydration pack.

Let's see those Griffins!!-capture.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-capture1.jpg

mtbr member
    I took a flat Garmin camera mount and drilled a hole in the center to accommodate the headset screw, and 3M'd that puppy onto a flat FSA stem cap. Results were good, but I would still rather mount the camera to the frame to keep the video independent of the bars so there isn't so much left-to-right motion. First downhill section from the boulder to the dirt road, at the Alien Run on the trusty Griffin, first test ride with the mount.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

My Griffin

Hey There Fellas. Had mine since they went on sale (2015?). Lots of Downhill and Cross Country, every week at Sundance and the Wasatch Front. Brakes finally need service. Overall, great bike for the price. I wont go away from mid-fat again, just so much fun. I am still playing with the tire pressure a lot. Tried to upload photos, but am as old as the uploader icon on this webpage.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345