Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    How about a picture with the Carbon Ti axle installed? I bet it looks sweet!

Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkThistle View Post
    How about a picture with the Carbon Ti axle installed? I bet it looks sweet!

Eric
    I need to do that sir! I have been off the bike for the past week, I am having some shoulder issues making it hard to really do anything at the moment, including sleep. My last ride was trying out the new axle, not much to report other than I am glad I made the purchase as it looks clean and eliminated any intermittent creak I was getting earlier with the skewer. It wasn't a cheap upgrade, but I love the peace of mind not having to think about the skewer backing off and ruining my ride. This may be my race bike come Oct. 1st as it was getting rather sandy out there. I have been signed up for a while, so even if I am not up to 100 percent I am still riding, it will just be a ride instead of a race for me.

I have a few changes to make to the bike livery, the Mrs. would like to try out the MTB "thing" as she calls it. She actually rode all three Airborne bikes and really enjoyed the Plague, but not the brakes. The SLX's on the Goblin are her preferred brakes, so I will be moving the Formulas to the Goblin, and the SLX's to the Plague. This means I will have to shorten the Formulas and lengthen the SLX's - time to buck up and get ready for some brake work 'hopefully' next weekend.

mtbr member
    Finally back on the bike after two weeks of no riding, however I am still unable to lift my left arm above my head which makes some rather mundane tasks seem almost impossible at times. Anyway, here are some pictures of the Carbon Ti axle mounted to the Griffin. Not much to see, but it is very clean looking. I finally cracked 900 miles for the season so far as well, two weeks off the bike set me back a little but I should be able to pass last seasons mileage total.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_3377.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_3380.jpg

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your shoulder. It's good that you have been able to get back on the bike though. Mine give me fits every ride. That Griffin is looking good! You have a very nice stable of wheeled horses.

mtbr member
    It's all good DnD - an old injury coming back to haunt me. I appreciate the thoughts!

Speaking of coming back to haunt me, it looks like I have some grooves going on with that brake rotor in my picture. I guess it is time to pop out the pads to see what is up!

mtbr member
    I hate old injuries that come back with ANOTHER invoice! Hope that shoulder gets fixed, and for good.

That rear axle is a nice piece of hardware. I found something similar (12x150 @ 182mm 20thread) and it was 1/3 the price but 3 x the weight and looked shoddy. The more I look for a cheap alternative to the Carbon Ti, the more I like the Carbon Ti for 75 Euros (only places I'm finding them is in Europe.) Plus I want it in Red.

Heal Up s0ul_chicken!!!

Eric

mtbr member
    I hate old injuries that come back with ANOTHER invoice! Hope that shoulder gets fixed, and for good.

That rear axle is a nice piece of hardware. I found something similar (12x150 @ 182mm 20thread) and it was 1/3 the price but 3 x the weight and looked shoddy. The more I look for a cheap alternative to the Carbon Ti, the more I like the Carbon Ti for 75 Euros (only places I'm finding them is in Europe.) Plus I want it in Red.

Heal Up s0ul_chicken!!!

Eric
    Thanks Eric! Mine is from crossing a dirt road that was recently bladed, so the transition to The Wall was gone, no way to stop once you go over the lip. That was almost a year ago, and I never did go to the doctor even though it bothered me for a few months. Just being old and stupid, I guess...

It was surprising to see only one retailer in the US sells the Carbon Ti axle, I figured they would be more prevalent in the states. Let us know what you come up with!

You will be glad to know I also took the leap on brake work - I lengthened/bled/installed the SLX brake lines to the Plague, shortened/bled/installed the Formula brakes to the Goblin (my handlebars look like christmas now...), and this weekend after the race I plan on shortening the rear brake line for the Griffin and bleed both front and rear. Only thing left I haven't tried to tackle on my own is wheel truing, but I would rather just drop them off at the LBS so I know they are done right.

Happy riding!

mtbr member

Racing the Griffin

This photo was taken after I passed the two "Tito's Vodka" dudes, the very ones that informed me of my poor decision to ride the Griffin for the race on the way to the trail. How ya like me now?

mtbr member
    Another 50+ mile weekend on the Griffin, this time with some new bars - Diety Topsoil bars in green.

Let's see those Griffins!!-virb0010.jpg

mtbr member
    Looking Good s0ul_chicken!

That trail looks awesome. Good on ya for putting in those miles and racing too!

Been riding my Griffin exclusively lately. Loving the tubeless Rocket Ron 3.0's. Been itching for a new rear hub (I can't stand how loud the stock hub is) and mine has developed a slight "clunk" after shifting (when it re-engages). I'll post pics if I do change anything, of course.

Your Griffin Brother,

Eric

mtbr member
    Looking Good s0ul_chicken!

That trail looks awesome. Good on ya for putting in those miles and racing too!

Been riding my Griffin exclusively lately. Loving the tubeless Rocket Ron 3.0's. Been itching for a new rear hub (I can't stand how loud the stock hub is) and mine has developed a slight "clunk" after shifting (when it re-engages). I'll post pics if I do change anything, of course.

Your Griffin Brother,

Eric
    I hear you (pun intended), the Sun Ringle hubs are noisy, but it lets people know that I am coming their way! I even tried some blue Park Tool grease on the pawls and it is still just as loud. Have you tried removing the hub to see what is going on?

Keep riding!

mtbr member
    Installed:

Ibis 738 Wheelset.
    SRAM direct mount 28 tooth chainring.

I also thoroughly degreased the drivetrain and switched over to Squirt lube.

About the Ibis 738's:

I was shopping for a new rear hub (could not stand how loud the stock unit was) and came across this asymmetric wheelset. It is narrower (35 mm Internal), lighter (1880 gm), and QUIETER (sounds like winding a Fine Swiss Watch instead of shooting a Gatling Gun!). And priced right: $549 for the pair.

And the tubeless setup was Stunningly easy. At first I was going to set them up with tubes and later break one bead and inflate tubeless. Well, I couldn't get the damn tubes in! It's hard to explain, but the way the rim is designed, it is like the tire doesn't want the tube in there!

So, if the tire is so eager to go tubeless, I decided, let's see! POOF, POP, DONE! I could not believe my eyes. Effortless.

Of course, the tires have a more rounded profile now. They look pretty good, and I'm wondering if the stock 45 mm rims are a bit wide for the 3" tires. We will see! I will report back after a few rides on the new hoops.

Eric

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Those hoops look sweet. That's not a bad price at all either!

mtbr member
    NICE! Nice upgrade to the bike MilkThistle, let us know how you like the new wheelset! It is good to see you back on here, it has been a while!

I took a drink from the oval chainring Kool-Aid, installed an Absolute Black 28T oval yesterday, but never got a chance to try it out due to time constraints, and now, rain for the next two days. I am hoping it dries out in time for a Turkey Day ride, and some pictures out on the trail. I am hoping my knees like the setup better, but only time will tell.

Have a great week peeps!

mtbr member
    Anyone have any luck quieting the rear hub? I tried to remove the cassette to get some higher viscosity anything in there but the Shimano tool I have does not fit properly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike-geek View Post
    Anyone have any luck quieting the rear hub? I tried to remove the cassette to get some higher viscosity anything in there but the Shimano tool I have does not fit properly.
    Nope - nothing I have tried works to calm it down, even blue Park Tool grease did nothing to change the volume of the hub pawls.

mtbr member

Fork mod - 120mm to 140mm

Since the weather has been absolute crap, I decided to look into the Magnum Comp fork since I am due (or should say over-due) for a service. What caught my eye was the option to have this fork run at 140mm vs. the 120mm, so I emailed Manitou and asked what my options were to make that happen. They responded saying it couldn't be done since it was an OE fork spec'd for 120mm. I can see why they would say this as any modification would essentially void the warranty of the bike and probably the fork itself. So on that note, take that into consideration before making any changes on your Griffin. I am sure Jesse would agree.

After getting that email, I decided to move forward with the fork service without even thinking twice about the 140mm travel. That is, until I removed the casting and had a good look at the Air Spring and Rebound Damper - they both have a plastic spacer at the bottom of each 'leg' measuring 22mm. Normally I wouldn't have thought twice, but I just so happened to have the parts break down in front of me, and those spacers are not listed in the parts list, rather four different part numbers for complete air assemblies in different lengths, but nothing on the Damper side is listed for spacers or different length assemblies.

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2962.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2965.jpg

OK, so with the spacers removed, the next question in the mix is what is the clearance from the arch to the frame? Will it smack the frame on a full bottom-out? I put the lowers back on without the internals and bottomed out the fork, this left just over a quarter of an inch between the arch and frame. I don't think travel will go that far, as the exposed stanchion length is almost 160mm on these forks.

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2968.jpg

Right now everything is disassembled and cleaned, ready to be put back together with a fresh oil change. Once I get everything back together, I will bottom out the fork again to see where it lands, then go take it for a test ride. Right now my only day of possible riding is Sunday after the next storm passes through, so I will have to wait until then to do any testing. More to come!

CoolArrow
    Got my attention

If I get where you're coming from - you're thinking that removing the spacer allows more travel by letting the fork compress more (hence the concern with the brace hitting the frame)?

As far as you can tell - does it change the ale to crown distance? I'd also check where an inflated tires comes in regard to bottoming out against the crown.

Interesting stuff! can't wait to see your results!
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Nailed it Jerry! That is my hope, getting a bit more travel out of the fork by removing both spacers on each assembly. As far as the axle to crown distance, I don't think that will change, but I won't know until I re-assemble the fork and air it up. Stance shouldn't change either as you are only increasing top-end travel of the fork. I am really excited about this mod, it should really help when I get a bit rowdy on the downhills.

mtbr member
    Since there is a storm blowing through, I may as well finish the fork service to get the bike ready for the test ride. I removed the spacers and followed the rest of the manual to complete the service. Compared to the Reba, this fork is much easier to work on.

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2970.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2974.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2992.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3013.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3024.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3030.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3084.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3111.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3198.jpg

And finally, measurement of the O-ring after full compression.

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3209.jpg

One final note in my findings - the rider weight/lbs pressure is now much more accurate. It is listed that I should be at 91psi, but at 120mm, it was way too stiff for me. I eventually dialed it in to 75psi, but now at 140mm, 90psi just about nailed it out on today's free ride around the Frisbee golf course. I rode all the fun rock formations I could with emphasis on really getting full travel out of the Manitou. I had a freaking blast and the fork feels even better at 140 than it did at 120! More pics to come!

mtbr member
    I had my riding bud take some vids of the compression, so I am waiting for those to show up. I want to check out the frame by frame just because I am geeking out on this mod so much...

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3244.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3245.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_3247.jpg

mtbr member
    A few pictures showing compression on the fork at 140mm.

Let's see those Griffins!!-140test-00-00-02-836.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-140test-00-00-02-936.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-140test-00-00-02-969.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-140test-00-00-03-036.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Can someone measure the length and thread of the small bolt that holds the blue rebound adjuster to the fork. The knob fell off and I could not find the bolt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATVMXR View Post
    Can someone measure the length and thread of the small bolt that holds the blue rebound adjuster to the fork. The knob fell off and I could not find the bolt.
    If you take off the screw that holds the red compression knob, it is that thread pitch, but twice as long. Hope that helps some!

EDIT - I will remove the screw tonight and take an overall length measurement for you tonight. I will post up tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Nice Work on lengthening the suspension to 140mm! So - it is just the removal of some parts?

One thing I am thinking - the extra 20mm of travel will make the head angle about 1* steeper at full compression. I think that could be a problem for me on some of the steeper rock & root strewn trails of New England on the downhills.

Awesome work s0ul_chicken!

Eric

mtbr member
    Nice Work on lengthening the suspension to 140mm! So - it is just the removal of some parts?

One thing I am thinking - the extra 20mm of travel will make the head angle about 1* steeper at full compression. I think that could be a problem for me on some of the steeper rock & root strewn trails of New England on the downhills.

Awesome work s0ul_chicken!

Eric
    Thanks Eric! You may not even notice the 1 degree, I know I felt very comfortable on my outing on Sunday pushing on that fork. I will also say it feels more plush after the complete service as well.

As far as the parts, you only need to remove the two white plastic spacers, and they just slide off the shaft. I have them highlighted below:
    Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2970.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    If you take off the screw that holds the red compression knob, it is that thread pitch, but twice as long. Hope that helps some!

EDIT - I will remove the screw tonight and take an overall length measurement for you tonight. I will post up tomorrow.
    Thank you, I appreciate that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATVMXR View Post
    OK, sorry for the delay... the length of the screw is 15.5mm, or .61 inches. I don't know the pitch, but you can go to any home improvement place and find out with one of their bolt/nut templates with the compression cap screw.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Let's see those Griffins!!-snapchat-1267649295.jpg

New to MTB and the forums, just got the Griffin today beautiful bike liking the paint job just amazing! Only thing is Airborne send me the wrong frame size wanted to try this baby out this weekend sucks that I won't be able too now! Talked to Jesse over at Airborne, waiting for my replacement great customer service!! bike should be here next week!!
    Last edited by Aaront509; 12-29-2016 at 08:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Fully expecting a complete slop-fest, I made up some mud guards to put on the Griffin for the weekend ride. In town everything was just wet, but when we rode up to the trail, there was three inches of fresh snow on the ground. Only footprints were on the trail, with a fat bike trail here and there weaving through, so we were the first ones to push some snow around. The first lap took 33 minutes to complete the 2.5 mile loop, so it was very slow going, but the Griffin handled it like a champ. I took point just so the two I was riding with had a head start with their skinnies, lots of snow pack crunch making the trail. This bike is just way too much fun in the snow! I will also keep the guards on there for the time being, I need to change a few things to the next ones I make, and I can see mud in my future.

Let's see those Griffins!!-20170122_102951.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a question for everyone out there that is interested in plus size tire bikes. I'm going to be getting my first one this year. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices.
    1. trek stache 5
    2. airborne griffin
    3. Specialized fuse comp 6fattie
    this is the order I am interested in them at this time. Has anyone had the chance to ride any of these and compare them? your thoughts and impressions would be greatly appreciated. I rode the fuse, and the stache at seperate bike shops on 2 different days so its hard to tell which one i truly like better. and I have not had the chance to ride a griffin so, can anyone tell me if the griffin frame feels much different than the goblin frame?
    Last edited by iluvny081; 02-20-2017 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Since we have had less-than-ideal conditions for a while, it is time to go through the bike, especially since I am hearing an irregular noise from the rear hub. Upon removal, a pawl fell out, meaning I had a broken spring. Not a big deal considering I have another spring and pawls to put onto the hub, however, this means I need to check the hub more often.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvny081 View Post
    I have a question for everyone out there that is interested in plus size tire bikes. I'm going to be getting my first one this year. I've narrowed it down to 3 choices.
    1. trek stache 5
    2. airborne griffin
    this is the order I am interested in them at this time. Has anyone had the chance to ride any of these and compare them? your thoughts and impressions would be greatly appreciated. I rode the fuse, and the stache at seperate bike shops on 2 different days so its hard to tell which one i truly like better. and I have not had the chance to ride a griffin so, can anyone tell me if the griffin frame feels much different than the goblin frame?
    I rode a buddies 6fattie, liked it, but not as much as my Griffin. What is funny is he said the same exact thing - he wished he would have sprung for the Griffin instead after riding it. Not sure how that will help you out, but perhaps you could compare geo numbers and go from there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Since we have had less-than-ideal conditions for a while, it is time to go through the bike, especially since I am hearing an irregular noise from the rear hub. Upon removal, a pawl fell out, meaning I had a broken spring. Not a big deal considering I have another spring and pawls to put onto the hub, however, this means I need to check the hub more often.

I rode a buddies 6fattie, liked it, but not as much as my Griffin. What is funny is he said the same exact thing - he wished he would have sprung for the Griffin instead after riding it. Not sure how that will help you out, but perhaps you could compare geo numbers and go from there.
    cool, thanks for the reply. the biggest thing i disliked about the fuse was how short the stock steerer is. I know riser bars can help resolve that issue but would rather have a bike come with a longer steerer and trim it down myself. How does your goblin frame differ from you griffin comfort wise? I know your goblin is a medium and your griffin is a large. but which one do you find more comfortable? I realize this might be a tough question to answer.

mtbr member
    cool, thanks for the reply. the biggest thing i disliked about the fuse was how short the stock steerer is. I know riser bars can help resolve that issue but would rather have a bike come with a longer steerer and trim it down myself. How does your goblin frame differ from you griffin comfort wise? I know your goblin is a medium and your griffin is a large. but which one do you find more comfortable? I realize this might be a tough question to answer.
    I am way more comfortable on the Griffin compared to the Goblin due to the level of traction and big tubeless tires, but the overall setup is very, very close. Anymore, the only time the Goblin gets used is if I have to perform repairs on the Griffin or Plague. The Griffin is also my go-to bike for almost every ride since the fun factor is so much higher compared to the other two bikes. I keep the Goblin around as it is a fast XC bike for races, the Plague for out of town trips and harsher rock trails.

mtbr member
    1. trek stache 5
    2. airborne griffin
    I've tried the Stache and 6fattie. Very surprised by the Trek. It is a very fun monster truck of a bike and pretty agile for 29+. It's not great for long or technical climbs though and I wouldn't personally choose it. The Fuse 6fattie was okay...the Stumpjumper version is better IMO.

The best plus bike I have tried so far was the Orbea Loki. Awesome geo/fit, good specs, and some of the most fun I have had on a bike. Impressive traction and manuverability.

I have not tried a Griffin though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the info guys. It's greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Rear axle fell apart last night as I was trying to stop the darn creaking. Tried calling but the number i have just keeps ringing and the e-mail I had for Mike is bouncing. Ideas?
    Would this work? - Rockshox Maxle Lite Rear Skewer > Components > Wheel Parts > Thru Axles | Jenson USA

Thanks

mtbr member
    Rear axle fell apart last night as I was trying to stop the darn creaking. Tried calling but the number i have just keeps ringing and the e-mail I had for Mike is bouncing. Ideas?
    Would this work? - Rockshox Maxle Lite Rear Skewer > Components > Wheel Parts > Thru Axles | Jenson USA

Thanks
    That will work, just make sure you order the 150mm length. I almost went that route, but ditched the skewer altogether for a bolt axle instead, no more creaking, but it was almost twice as much as the Maxle. How can you put a price tag on wondrous silence?

Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Trails are dry, temps in the 70's, perfect time to get the Griffin back out into the sand and pinion. I am also trying out a new medium sized Alpkit Enduro Pod instead of the saddlebag I have, I got tired of the bag getting loose on me while riding. This kit was designed to ride behind the steerer tube and on top of the top tube of the bicycle. I wasn't fond of the idea of putting it there, so I strapped it to the down tube and seat tube right under the water bottle. Lots of room in the kit for my tools, tube, and phone. So far the kit is brilliant, it has not come loose at all over the past five rides, and it fits perfectly in the frame so you don't have to worry about hitting the kit with your feet while pedaling. Another bonus, no sweaty back from the hydration pack.

Let's see those Griffins!!-capture.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-capture1.jpg

mtbr member
    I took a flat Garmin camera mount and drilled a hole in the center to accommodate the headset screw, and 3M'd that puppy onto a flat FSA stem cap. Results were good, but I would still rather mount the camera to the frame to keep the video independent of the bars so there isn't so much left-to-right motion. First downhill section from the boulder to the dirt road, at the Alien Run on the trusty Griffin, first test ride with the mount.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

My Griffin

Hey There Fellas. Had mine since they went on sale (2015?). Lots of Downhill and Cross Country, every week at Sundance and the Wasatch Front. Brakes finally need service. Overall, great bike for the price. I wont go away from mid-fat again, just so much fun. I am still playing with the tire pressure a lot. Tried to upload photos, but am as old as the uploader icon on this webpage.

mtbr member
    Back in the desert, this time with proper rotors for the Guide brakes. I had to add a splash of color, some Key Lime for the Centerline rotor arms.

Let's see those Griffins!!-20170807_175757.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Looks great!

I want to do your 140 mod so bad!!! Did you list necessary fork maintenance stuff. Also, Utah desert? Are you running 180 rotor in the back?
    Let's see those Griffins!!-img_20170621_155809712.jpg

Back in the desert, this time with proper rotors for the Guide brakes. I had to add a splash of color, some Key Lime for the Centerline rotor arms.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170807_175757.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	1151131

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barleypants View Post
    I want to do your 140 mod so bad!!! Did you list necessary fork maintenance stuff. Also, Utah desert? Are you running 180 rotor in the back?
    I don't think I listed everything (or anything for that matter) for the service, but I am more than happy to forward the the service manual for you if you need it. It is a very easy fork to service to perform. The rear rotor is the 160mm although I am contemplating going the next size up, but it may not be needed, the Centerlines are solid stoppers.
    You were close on location, NW NM, just a stones throw from the Four Corners monument, so riding out here is always hot. Speaking of which, time to log on out and hit the trails!!

Let me know if I can be of any help!

mtbr member
    OK, time for some maintenance on the rear hub as I am hearing and feeling a clang noise with a new intermittent skip from the rear hub under heavy load. I ordered in two pawl sets to have an extra on hand as they are looking rather rough when I removed the hub and cleaned it up. I put the hub back together with fresh grease while I waited for the pawl kits to show, which they finally have today. Turns out, they have changed the design of the pawl itself, cutting away a portion of the top of the pawl, and on the underside of the pawl. The part number is exactly the same, 281-31620. I will be putting these in Sunday, so I will give an update after a ride on them sometime next week.

Top is an older pawl, bottom is the new design.

Let's see those Griffins!!-20170824_154535%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Thanks

I don't think I listed everything (or anything for that matter) for the service, but I am more than happy to forward the the service manual for you if you need it. It is a very easy fork to service to perform. The rear rotor is the 160mm although I am contemplating going the next size up, but it may not be needed, the Centerlines are solid stoppers.
    You were close on location, NW NM, just a stones throw from the Four Corners monument, so riding out here is always hot. Speaking of which, time to log on out and hit the trails!!

Let me know if I can be of any help!
    If its easy to send the manual (maybe I can google it?), go ahead and send away! I am burning through the hayes. Thinking of upgrading to the Trail brakes. Also, I have done zero maintenance (other than brakes and rotors), you're a machine!

mtbr member
    If its easy to send the manual (maybe I can google it?), go ahead and send away! I am burning through the hayes. Thinking of upgrading to the Trail brakes. Also, I have done zero maintenance (other than brakes and rotors), you're a machine!
    Nah, I just love working on bikes! I would work the hub sooner, but Purgatory Bike Park calls for Saturday, so I must prepare the Rev 3 Plague! Pics to come of the worn pawls (I forgot I had a lightly used set that I could have been using...)

Here is the link for the fork service: http://www.manitoumtb.com/wp-content...ide-REV2.1.pdf

Pinehurst NC
    Let's see those Griffins!!-img_47211.jpg XT brakes with dual 180mm rotors and 140mm fork mod.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    XT brakes with dual 180mm rotors and 140mm fork mod.
    Looking good Charlie!

I was able to install the new pawls over the weekend, and after close inspection, it may not be a bad idea for you to check yours as well. After 1500 miles, they were seriously past due on replacement.

Let's see those Griffins!!-20170825_180303%5B1%5D.jpg

Even more interesting were the wear-points appearing on the spring where they come in contact with the pawls. The spring has to be replaced as well.

Let's see those Griffins!!-20170825_180228%5B1%5D.jpg

Here is the hub with the new pawls installed. The engagement seems to be a bit quicker, and by the looks of the wear points on the pawls vs. their new counterparts, I am hoping the new design will last a bit longer with some of that upper material removed.

Let's see those Griffins!!-20170824_200227%5B1%5D.jpg

Noise is a bit different, it's still loud, but a dab of Park Tool blue grease makes the noise quite manageable vs. the older design. I will be going for the first ride tonight after work, I will give an update as to the performance tomorrow. Happy Trails!!
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 08-28-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I am going to become a hypochondriac if I keep reading your projects. Well done though!

mtbr member
    I am going to become a hypochondriac if I keep reading your projects. Well done though!
    Funny!! I always have to have at least one project going at all times!

Speaking of project, the updated pawls did the trick, no skipping or intermittent clang noise (yes, the chain was replaced last month, that was my first thought...). So all is good now, and now I can focus on the Plague this evening.

Happy Trails!

Pinehurst NC
    Borrowed my kids Griffin for the day- my times for my local trail were comparable to my Stache 9, the bike climbs better than my stache (longer chainline, + tires) this really is one of the more versatile whips in our fleet. More to come, some new upgrades in process....Let's see those Griffins!!-temporary_file1776149547.jpgLet's see those Griffins!!-screenshot_20170903-205419.jpg
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Looks like a fun trail Charlie!!

So I thought I would share a pic of the hub with the ratchet ring, since the dab of PT grease made the hub too quiet - shocker! After cleaning out the grease and ratchet ring, I decided to go with a 5WT to bring a bit of the noise back. I can hear the hub, but it isn't annoying like with the other pawls. You can see that the new pawls have the same shape as the ring, so it looks like it fully engages at two points each. Nice!

Let's see those Griffins!!-20170904_163839.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    You can see that the new pawls have the same shape as the ring, so it looks like it fully engages at two points each.

Name:	20170904_163839.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	1155985
    Are these SunRingle hubs? My 1st gen Evo hubs look just like your "old" pawl design, and they didn't last me more than 500 miles. This link is my last hub with only about 200 miles on them.

watts - Album on Imgur

It looks like the new design is potentially much stronger.

P.S. I'm super fat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fattty View Post
    Are these SunRingle hubs? My 1st gen Evo hubs look just like your "old" pawl design, and they didn't last me more than 500 miles. This link is my last hub with only about 200 miles on them.

watts - Album on Imgur

It looks like the new design is potentially much stronger.

P.S. I'm super fat.
    That is crazy! I haven't seen anything like that type of wear in only 200 miles. Yep, they are the stock Sun Ringle wheels that come with the bike, which is actually quite easy to work on. If you want to take the hub out, the quickest way is to remove the non-drive side axle cap (pulls straight off), use a cone wrench to hold the axle, take off the XD cap with a 17mm cone wrench and the whole assembly comes out in one piece.

Pinehurst NC
    Let's see those Griffins!!-resized_20171019_154056.jpg

plus this

Let's see those Griffins!!-resized_20171019_123615.jpg
    equal a new PR on my local singletrack by a full minute
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    I need to order that spring!

Pinehurst NC
    Yep!
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member

Name:	Resized_20171019_154056.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	1163161
    Can you post up spring measurements when you make the swap? I am curious to see what the stock bumper and spring length is vs. the new 140mm air spring assembly.

EDIT - Just ordered mine in - I should see it by next Friday.
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 10-20-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Pinehurst NC
    Good deal! I just installed it the day it showed up, and rode. Didn't measure it. I might actually order another one, since they are discontinuing the Magnum fork. Id love to find another Comp 120..
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    So, this will take the fork from 120mm to 140mm of travel? And you got it at........?

Pinehurst NC
    Chainreaction cycles!
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    So, this will take the fork from 120mm to 140mm of travel? And you got it at........?
    The spring is an addition to removing the plastic spacers in each lower. Once mine arrives I will verify the actual spacing on the stock spring vs. the new one. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Looks like that spring is on the slow boat, I ordered it Friday from CRC, it is just now being processed in Burmingham, UK for shipment.

Pinehurst NC
    Sucks.... hate waiting
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Sucks.... hate waiting
    Yep, but at least I finally got an ETA, Thursday the 2nd. Have you been able to get full travel yet from the new spring?

Pinehurst NC
    Sorry... we've been riding all weekend.... new bike week for the wifeLet's see those Griffins!!-resized_20171028_113405.jpg
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sorry... we've been riding all weekend.... new bike week for the wifeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20171028_113405.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	1164613
    Love the color! And really like how the line of the top tube flows straight into the seat stays. Clean.

Pinehurst NC
    Yep, but at least I finally got an ETA, Thursday the 2nd. Have you been able to get full travel yet from the new spring?
    Yep 140-144mmLet's see those Griffins!!-resized_20171030_101049.jpgLet's see those Griffins!!-resized_20171030_212102.jpg
    Last edited by Charlie Don't Surf; 10-30-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Yep 140-144mmClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20171030_101049.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	1164765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20171030_212102.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	1164847
    Nice! Mine arrived today, so now I have a plan of attack for the weekend. Plushy plush plush!!

Pinehurst NC
    Nice! Mine arrived today, so now I have a plan of attack for the weekend. Plushy plush plush!!
    Ok, where's the report! I know you swapped it and rode it!
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Ok, where's the report! I know you swapped it and rode it!
    Life is what happens when you make plans otherwise - it has been a trying week for me and the family, but we will make it through like we always do. The "plan" is to install tonight, but will have to wait for the weekend to do any riding with the time change.

Pinehurst NC
    Been wanting to do this for a while, never been a fan of the Mulefut rims on mtg Stache (they have been gone since week 3) or the Griffin. Built some DT Swiss XM521 35mm ID rims with squorx nipples (love them) and Sapim Race double butted spokes. Have a set of DT350 hubs I was going to use, but I tore down the stock rims and reused the SRC hubs instead, the DT's might have to get used for something elseLet's see those Griffins!!-20171112_010454.jpg
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Been wanting to do this for a while, never been a fan of the Mulefut rims on mtg Stache (they have been gone since week 3) or the Griffin. Built some DT Swiss XM521 35mm ID rims with squorx nipples (love them) and Sapim Race double butted spokes. Have a set of DT350 hubs I was going to use, but I tore down the stock rims and reused the SRC hubs instead, the DT's might have to get used for something elseClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20171112_010454.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	1167078
    Looking great!! I finally got the new spring installed, strange how the overall length of the springs only has a 4mm difference between the two... Nice overall ride and feel though!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    hi guys, went through this hole thread, seems like Griffin is a good bike.

Anybody have experience comparing the Griffin to the Goblin Evo 29"? I currently have the Goblin Evo 29 and my dad is interested in picking up his first MTB, so thought of selling him my Evo and picking up a Griffin since they're on sale for $999, so I can try this 650b thing.

Is the griffin even more snappy/easier to throw around?
    Will it be slightly lighter once tubeless and a couple lightweight mods?
    Pros/cons?

Your thoughts are appreciated!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drivera View Post
    hi guys, went through this hole thread, seems like Griffin is a good bike.

Anybody have experience comparing the Griffin to the Goblin Evo 29"? I currently have the Goblin Evo 29 and my dad is interested in picking up his first MTB, so thought of selling him my Evo and picking up a Griffin since they're on sale for $999, so I can try this 650b thing.

Is the griffin even more snappy/easier to throw around?
    Will it be slightly lighter once tubeless and a couple lightweight mods?
    Pros/cons?

Your thoughts are appreciated!
    The Evo will be more playful and snappy, simply due to the oversize tires the Griffin has which gives the steering a much different feel. It's hard to describe, but you will find yourself leaning the Griffin without as much steering input as a regular hardtail. I ride in desert terrain and the Griffin absolutely outshines any bike I have because of all the sand here.

You will shed a bit of weight going tubeless which means you can run some stupid low pressures (13 front, 15 rear for me) and gain a bunch of traction doing so. Obviously the Griffin is a much heavier bike, and the only way to really lose some significant weight is to change out the wheelset and run smaller tires (where is the fun in that?). I added weight by going with a dropper post, which significantly upped the fun factor big time. Hands down, this is the funnest of the three Airborne bikes I have. Hard to describe, but when you get the Griffin up to speed it is just a monster on the trails, chewing up anything in its path. I find myself struggling in places on the Goblin where the Griffin would just roll through with no issues.

I plan on getting another Griffin for the Mrs. as she has been riding mine for the past month - I miss my bike!! Of the three bikes, it is the funnest for her as well. Comparing the Griffin to another bike almost seems like apples to oranges to me as the feel is very different than anything else I have ridden. So, until I get my Griffin back, I will ride my Goblin off into the sunset - or at least around the bear claw....

Let's see those Griffins!!-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The Evo will be more playful and snappy, simply due to the oversize tires the Griffin has which gives the steering a much different feel. It's hard to describe, but you will find yourself leaning the Griffin without as much steering input as a regular hardtail. I ride in desert terrain and the Griffin absolutely outshines any bike I have because of all the sand here.

You will shed a bit of weight going tubeless which means you can run some stupid low pressures (13 front, 15 rear for me) and gain a bunch of traction doing so. Obviously the Griffin is a much heavier bike, and the only way to really lose some significant weight is to change out the wheelset and run smaller tires (where is the fun in that?). I added weight by going with a dropper post, which significantly upped the fun factor big time. Hands down, this is the funnest of the three Airborne bikes I have. Hard to describe, but when you get the Griffin up to speed it is just a monster on the trails, chewing up anything in its path. I find myself struggling in places on the Goblin where the Griffin would just roll through with no issues.

I plan on getting another Griffin for the Mrs. as she has been riding mine for the past month - I miss my bike!! Of the three bikes, it is the funnest for her as well. Comparing the Griffin to another bike almost seems like apples to oranges to me as the feel is very different than anything else I have ridden. So, until I get my Griffin back, I will ride my Goblin off into the sunset - or at least around the bear claw....

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	1169858

Thanks for the response!

I like what you say about the Griffin being FUNNEST. I ride like a fool, not necessarily trying to be the fastest on the trail... I often like to go hot into a turn and lock up the rear tire and just slide it around a bit. I also like to do little manuals here and there and try to get some air under the bike... is the Griffin better or worse for this type of shenanigans?

The trails I ride here in GA are mostly rocky and rooty, so I think a bit more traction and compliance from the bigger tires would be welcome.

I only mention weight because I once rode a Niner carbon hard tail that was amazing in terms of acceleration... I loved how easy it was on my legs... maybe I need to get my legs stronger

So should I get it?! I'd basically be losing nothing as my pops would get the EVO and I'd get the Griffin.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response!

I like what you say about the Griffin being FUNNEST. I ride like a fool, not necessarily trying to be the fastest on the trail... I often like to go hot into a turn and lock up the rear tire and just slide it around a bit. I also like to do little manuals here and there and try to get some air under the bike... is the Griffin better or worse for this type of shenanigans?

The trails I ride here in GA are mostly rocky and rooty, so I think a bit more traction and compliance from the bigger tires would be welcome.

I only mention weight because I once rode a Niner carbon hard tail that was amazing in terms of acceleration... I loved how easy it was on my legs... maybe I need to get my legs stronger

So should I get it?! I'd basically be losing nothing as my pops would get the EVO and I'd get the Griffin.
    I find the Griffin very easy to wheelie, but my manual skills are extremely lacking unless I am really moving on a smooth and straight downhill, and even then, it is laughable! You will find you can bring out any shenanigan you want to, it just may take a bit more effort to pull it off.

Black Widow and Mood Swings trails here have some nice drops and jumps, getting some air under the bike is quite easy. With the 140mm fork mod, it is even better with the extra travel on the landings. You also get some nice compliance from the rear tire when tubeless, that 3.0 tire can soak up quite a bit. As far as acceleration, it won't be as lovely as the Niner, but it will hold speed better.

I say go for it, worse case is you swap back out with your father if you don't like it as much as you thought you would. Besides, at the current price, it is an absolute steal allowing you to add some upgrades and still come out ahead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah I'll go for it, why not. It's really up to him, he'll basically be ordering the bike for me when he's ready.

Honestly the Goblin EVO was a $1600 bike when I bought it, it was on sale for like $1400, so he's still getting a heck of a bike, I had no complaints with the EVO, but wouldn't mind trying out these monster tires

yeah I'm not doing a ton of wheelies or anything just like to pick up the front tire when hitting a jumpy-bump or before hitting something. I just hoon around

I'll have to look into the 140mm fork mod as well, sounds like definitely enough travel. And the fork seems to have good reviews out there as well.

mtbr member
    Yeah I'll go for it, why not. It's really up to him, he'll basically be ordering the bike for me when he's ready.

Honestly the Goblin EVO was a $1600 bike when I bought it, it was on sale for like $1400, so he's still getting a heck of a bike, I had no complaints with the EVO, but wouldn't mind trying out these monster tires

yeah I'm not doing a ton of wheelies or anything just like to pick up the front tire when hitting a jumpy-bump or before hitting something. I just hoon around

I'll have to look into the 140mm fork mod as well, sounds like definitely enough travel. And the fork seems to have good reviews out there as well.
    I am a huge fan of the fork, servicing is quite easy on this one. Whatever you decide, have fun!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hopefully I'll post some pics up before the end of December. I'll be in Canada for first two weeks so def won't happen, before then... We'll see! Appreciate the info and advice.

mtbr member
    Hopefully I'll post some pics up before the end of December. I'll be in Canada for first two weeks so def won't happen, before then... We'll see! Appreciate the info and advice.
    See ya on the trails!

Let's see those Griffins!!-ohyeah.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I do have one question maybe you can help answer.

What are tire options with this type of bike? I've read about about how the industry is kind of refining what will be common place and that may be a 2.6" wide tire.

https://airbornebicycles.com/collect...oducts/griffin
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeradar
    So, is it likely that Plus tyres as a separate ‘standard’ might be a short lived phenomenon? I’ve spoken to many people in the industry, both on and off the record, and there seems to be a growing consensus that a 650b tyre of around 2.6” wide paired to a 30-35mm rim might be the middle ground between a full Plus tyre and the rubber we’re running today. That would provide many of the benefits of the larger contact without as many of the drawbacks, especially for aggressive riders and riding disciplines. It’d also clear up a lot of confusion about the huge number of different wheel and tyre sizes crowding the market.
    I know it comes with a 3" rear and 3.25" front tire (staggered width is how I had my old BMX bike setup so totally get the stagger reasons).

But let's say I wanted to go with a slightly less wide tire in the future, would that reduce bottom bracket clearance too much?

I think people have run 29" wheel/tire on this bike as well, which gives it some options..

mtbr member
    I do have one question maybe you can help answer.

What are tire options with this type of bike? I've read about about how the industry is kind of refining what will be common place and that may be a 2.6" wide tire.

I know it comes with a 3" rear and 3.25" front tire (staggered width is how I had my old BMX bike setup so totally get the stagger reasons).

But let's say I wanted to go with a slightly less wide tire in the future, would that reduce bottom bracket clearance too much?

I think people have run 29" wheel/tire on this bike as well, which gives it some options..
    I think with the inner width of 45mm of the Mulefuts on this bike you could run anything over a 2.6. I would worry about lack of side wall on the tire on anything narrower than that, and even then a 2.6 may be too iffy. Something too narrow may square off the tire too much to really gain anything, especially when cornering and on rim strikes. This would also lower the bottom bracket - how much I cannot say. I can't say I am an expert in this area as I am still rolling on the original rubber. Milk Thistle went with a new set of rims as well as Charlie Don't Surf, so they would be a better source of information. I know Milk Thistle went with 27.5+ and a 2.8 size tire, but I haven't heard how the ride is. Charlie went 29+ and he seems to like that setup, but I don't know how wide he went. Perhaps they could chime in as well?

Pinehurst NC
    I ran 2.8 Nobby Nics on the Mulefuts, lost some BB height but the bike was better in the fall on the East Coast. The 3.0 Nobby Nics and the Vee tires were great in SE trails during the rest of the year. The bike was easier to manual with 29+, but not as snappy overall. I'm currently 140mm fork, 35mm ID 27.5+ with 2.8 Nobby Nics, 50mm stem. Bike is way more fun everywhere, way easier to push hard on the trail. Kinda numb with the 3.25/3.0 vee tires and 45mm rims to me. Still, right now for a grand.... can't beat it
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'll probably keep the stock tires till they're worn out. I'm in Canada but the bike should be ordered/waiting for me for when I get back... nice work travel consolation prize

I'd like to do a couple things with it pretty soon after
    -lighweight saddle / carbon post
    -lower stem, grips, maybe carbon handle bar
    -brakes seem to be a common suggestion (what's best reasonable $$ recommendation? do you have to replace, rotors and calipers/lines or ?? never replaced hydro brakes, the ones on my EVO worked fine.)

I've seen some carbon saddles that get descent reviews from like amazon, any seat posts or handle bars? What type of handle bar, I've seen very straight ones, with some rise, wide/narrow? Just trying to research a bit on this.

Update: Bike has been ordered! I get back home on on Friday the 15th from my work trip and the bike will be waiting for me.
    Last edited by drivera; 12-06-2017 at 09:41 AM.

mtbr member
    I'll probably keep the stock tires till they're worn out. I'm in Canada but the bike should be ordered/waiting for me for when I get back... nice work travel consolation prize

I'd like to do a couple things with it pretty soon after
    -lighweight saddle / carbon post
    -lower stem, grips, maybe carbon handle bar
    -brakes seem to be a common suggestion (what's best reasonable $$ recommendation? do you have to replace, rotors and calipers/lines or ?? never replaced hydro brakes, the ones on my EVO worked fine.)

I've seen some carbon saddles that get descent reviews from like amazon, any seat posts or handle bars? What type of handle bar, I've seen very straight ones, with some rise, wide/narrow? Just trying to research a bit on this.

Update: Bike has been ordered! I get back home on on Friday the 15th from my work trip and the bike will be waiting for me.
    Congrats on the purchase! Changing brakes is pretty straight forward, but you may want to roll the Hayes to see if they are right for you or not. That also goes with the saddle and bars, everyone is a bit different and all comes down to your fit on the bike, perhaps riding it stock for a bit will let you know if you need to make fit changes (ie wider or narrower bars, seat comfort). I am not sure if it is worth the gains to go all carbon bits, the bike will still be on the heavy side, but I will say it would be worth it on the bars just for the thermodynamics as they won't get cold like aluminum will.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Oh yeah, I'll definitely ride the stock brakes for a bit. I'm about 170lbs so maybe they'll be sufficient for me...

I think I've heard going tubeless is a bit of a pain... I don't have a compressor so I suppose my best bet is to take them to a local shop to get done.

I'll have to feel out the cockpit once I give it a spin.

mtbr member
    You are going to have a blast on that bike, I know I do (or at least did until the Mrs. wanted to roll on it for a while), which means I need to get one ordered before the sale ends.

EDIT - Speaking of sale, I messaged Airborne and they said the sale will be going on for a while. Not sure how long that is, but it should give me enough time to recover from Xmas.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ah yes, I heard that they'll be running the sale for a bit.

I gotta say I sort of felt that the Geometry of the bike wouldn't be what I'd like as it has a longer rear than the EVO, I hope that it's something that doesn't make it less responsive. After I read JHazzard's comments he seemed to indicate that the bike handled just fine.

Although it seems as though JHazard has moved on to a Dartmoor Primal frame... which honestly seems like a really nice frame. Their Primal+ frame or whatever that they're releasing for 2018 will work with 2.6" 27.5 all the way up to 3" tires I believe... seems like the best of both worlds if the 650b+ category goes away and the industry settles on 2.6"?

mtbr member
    Ah yes, I heard that they'll be running the sale for a bit.

I gotta say I sort of felt that the Geometry of the bike wouldn't be what I'd like as it has a longer rear than the EVO, I hope that it's something that doesn't make it less responsive. After I read JHazzard's comments he seemed to indicate that the bike handled just fine.

Although it seems as though JHazard has moved on to a Dartmoor Primal frame... which honestly seems like a really nice frame. Their Primal+ frame or whatever that they're releasing for 2018 will work with 2.6" 27.5 all the way up to 3" tires I believe... seems like the best of both worlds if the 650b+ category goes away and the industry settles on 2.6"?
    Those are slick frames and at a decent price as well. I don't think the 27.5+ market will go away, the bikes are way too much fun to ride.

CoolArrow
    For XC, and ... "progressive XC" (is that a term???) the Griffin is just fine.

My roots are old school BMX/Freestyle (and by extension, freeride and downhill), so this creates a bias towards the geometry I prefer. So, for me, the rear end on the Griffin was long for my taste - it requires a little more effort to raise the front end when you want to manual or bunnyhop something substantial. Tighter corners and hairpins (especially climbing hairpins) require a little more effort too.

Likewise, the head angle is a little steep for my taste. That's one thing that I never really dug about most of the Airborne products (save for the Plague, they nailed that one). It's great for cruising tight XC lines, and helps the longer rear end in corners, but at really high speed it's a little more effort to hold a line. Add some rocks and chatter to it, the more effort it takes.

Please don't take this as a slam against the Griffin. It's a great deal and a great intro to Plus. But if you're a more aggressive rider, or are looking to ride close to YOUR limits on a given terrain, you might do some comparative shopping/research.

After all that, I'm learning that for me - 3" tires are too much on a hard tail. My Primal Plus is running 2.8's (Specialized Butchers) which really at the limit - again, for me and the terrain I like here in central-ish NM (variations from kitty litter singletrack to fully on gnar rock gardens.)
    Last edited by jhazard; 12-06-2017 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Not enough coffee this morning
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think your style is kind of what I'd like as well, I grew up riding a BMX bike as well (most of us probably?) So I like the feeling of a very nimble bike that you can pick up whenever you want and move around under you with free will.

The EVO was pretty fun, I may have to give it a spin again before I give it to my dad... Honestly those Primals look amazing and that Primal EVO they're coming out with for 2018 looks sick in the all-black scheme as well. They seem to be very well thought out frames.

Regardless, the Griffin is on order, no going back and I think it's still a good deal (also noticed that when they were going to debut the bike they almost were going to sell it for $2k!!!)

CoolArrow
    Right on. You'll dig it, and if you came from BMX, then you'll be able to adjust to the geo easily from the EVO, it's not far off. Be sure to post up when you get it. I'm not officially associated with Airborne any more, but still appreciate and admire them!
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So i got the Griffin! Cool bike and paint job. I immediately took the wheels to a LBS to do tubeless. He wasn't able to do the rear. He showed me why, the edge of the tire bead on a couple of places has creases that wasn't allowing the tire to seal... this happened to anybody else? He said the tire is defective and I'd have to replace it in order to go tubeless.

Also I have to adjust the front brake as it's constantly scraping the rotor. For now that's all I've encountered that needs adjusting.

mtbr member
    Try 2 wraps of standard width tubeless tape on that side to get it to seal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    sorry, I wasn't doing the work, was paying a shop for the laber and they weren't able to get it done. He said he tried using tubes on the side to get it set but didn't work...

He told me that in his opinion the tire is defective because it had some kinks on the bead where it would settle against the rim, that would not allow it to seal. I wasn't able to get a picture of it. But basically, it looked like a kink that could maybe be formed if the tire was folded. Not sure if this is normal or not? Not sure if I should contact Airborne about it?

mtbr member
    sorry, I wasn't doing the work, was paying a shop for the laber and they weren't able to get it done. He said he tried using tubes on the side to get it set but didn't work...

He told me that in his opinion the tire is defective because it had some kinks on the bead where it would settle against the rim, that would not allow it to seal. I wasn't able to get a picture of it. But basically, it looked like a kink that could maybe be formed if the tire was folded. Not sure if this is normal or not? Not sure if I should contact Airborne about it?
    That should be your first course of action, calling Airborne, see what your options are. This wheel and tire combo can be tricky to get seated tubeless, but two wraps of tape will really help the process.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That should be your first course of action, calling Airborne, see what your options are. This wheel and tire combo can be tricky to get seated tubeless, but two wraps of tape will really help the process.
    Yeah contacted them but hey said they hadn't heard of this issue. I'm going to take it to another shop see if they can get it done. Then see what then. Maybe airborne will help if it indeed looks like a defect.

Pinehurst NC
    I had a hell of a time trying to tubeless those tires on the mulefut rims, one was simple but the other one (rear) I couldn't ever get seated.
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast