mtbr member
    May 2012

Length of stock stem? (18 Guardian)

What is the length of the stock stem on an 18 inch Guardian?

I'm considering going with a shorter one this season.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    105mm.
    Its all here: Airborne Bicycles. Guardian, on the Geometry tab.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Awesome, thanks for the info.

I went to the site but only saw the product spec site.

Have you changed your stem? 105 seems long right?

Airborne Product Dude
    105mm is not "long" for an 18" XC bike.

Regards,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfifty View Post
    Have you changed your stem? 105 seems long right?
    If 105 is long to you, yes. Its a personal fit/feel kind of thing. I run 70mm on my 16" Guardian, stock was 90mm. I'm comfortable with wide bars (725mm) and a short stem.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    105mm is not "long" for an 18" XC bike.

Regards,

Jeremy
    Sorry didn't mean it in a bad way or as a flaw in the design of the bike... i was torn between choosing the 18 or 16 inch bike since i am 5'7". i am right in the middle in height range between for each one. I ended up choosing the 18 because of my 30+ inseam.
    After owning the bike for about a year, I notice that i am uncomfortable when simply riding the bike around town. I feel I am too far stretched out to reach the handlebars while seated on the seat. i am leaning too far forward. I do not feel any discomfort while on any off-road trails or technical stuff.
    Do you have any recommendations of a stem and bar setup that might help me be more comfortable? Something that could also be an upgrade to the stock airborne equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by swildnm View Post
    If 105 is long to you, yes. Its a personal fit/feel kind of thing. I run 70mm on my 16" Guardian, stock was 90mm. I'm comfortable with wide bars (725mm) and a short stem.
    What stem and bars are you running?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    What stem and bars are you running?
    Race Face Evolve stem and low rise bars. The Evolve line is reasonably priced, the stem is lighter by over 100grams if I remember right. The bar is also well priced, strong, wide and pretty light. Not to give a sales pitch though. Shop around and find what you like.

Airborne Product Dude
    Sorry didn't mean it in a bad way or as a flaw in the design of the bike... i was torn between choosing the 18 or 16 inch bike since i am 5'7". i am right in the middle in height range between for each one. I ended up choosing the 18 because of my 30+ inseam.
    After owning the bike for about a year, I notice that i am uncomfortable when simply riding the bike around town. I feel I am too far stretched out to reach the handlebars while seated on the seat. i am leaning too far forward. I do not feel any discomfort while on any off-road trails or technical stuff.
    Do you have any recommendations of a stem and bar setup that might help me be more comfortable? Something that could also be an upgrade to the stock airborne equipment.

No worries!

We just wanted to clarify that the Guardian was made as an XC hardtail and has geometry, and stem length, for that purpose.

The waters get muddy when people start putting really short stems and super wide bars on there trying to make it more of an AM or Trail bike, because from a fit standpoint it really shortens up the cockpit and then it no longer has the "XC feel" to it. People also don't realize that super wide bars effectively make the cockpit shorter. We're not saying that's wrong, it's just different.

The Evolve series of stems and bars are nice and I have them on one of my bikes. I also really like FSA SLK stuff if you are thinking about carbon bling at all.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.