mtbr member
    May 2013

Just Received Skyhawk - Rear Derailleur issue

I just received the bike a few hours ago. Box was damaged but taped up behind the straps; actually looks like it was taped up prior to being shipped from Airborne – strange. Anyway there are two small sets of scratches; but I was able to clean them up for the most part so reluctantly will accept them.
    Bike assembled easily and quickly, however, the bottom sprocket of the rear derailleur is actually inside of the spokes and the sprocket above it is rubbing against the spokes. I tried to upload pics but seem to be having a problem.
    Being new to this (why I took advantage of the Skyhawkdeal); I am unsure if the rear derailleur was therefore bent in shipment and should be replaced; or if this can be adjusted to ensure the proper clearance.
    Any help would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You should contact Airborne customer service.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I did; but they seem overloaded. Took them 5 days to notify me of the shipment (after I e-mailed asking for the status (they didn't return my phone call)); and then it was delivered the next day. So my experience with customer support is not as great as everyone here has stated.

Therefore I thought I could get some info faster by asking here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    You called their customer support?

Did you talk with someone?

If I had purchased a bike from a company and it was delivered with what seemed to be a problem then I would contact the company rather than post on a forum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Just Received Skyhawk - Rear Derailleur issue

It might just be me but I can't see the original/first post to comment. I can see the rest of the posts though. I could probably help too since I've gone through RD issues recently.

Edit- never mind, the post was in a different color. That issue definitely needs to be discussed with airborne directly I think.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    You called their customer support?

Did you talk with someone?

If I had purchased a bike from a company and it was delivered with what seemed to be a problem then I would contact the company rather than post on a forum.
    Again I did what you would do - I called (got Eric's voicemail again) and sent an e-mail; but based on my past experience I wasn't sure when/if I would be contacted back. If it's a quick fix and someone here can point me in the right direction then everyone is happy.

I didn't realize I had to justify my posts here.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Is the hanger bent or is the derailleur bent?

Or do they just seem out of alignment?

mtbr member
    Need a pic.
    Were you able to get it out of the wheel?
    Could it be the limit screw just way out of whack? One screw limits how far toward the wheel it will go, the other how far away. Labeled H=hi and L=low. forget which does which. I'm just learning myself

mtbr member
    Thats odd they picked up the phone on the second ring for me. I bet your hanger got bent in shipping and there is probably no damage to the derailuer.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the replies - attached are a pic from the front and back; sorry for the graininess.

If there's a better angle for a pic to help with the diagnosis let me know and I'll take it.

Just Received Skyhawk - Rear Derailleur issue-image.jpgJust Received Skyhawk - Rear Derailleur issue-image.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner66 View Post
    Thats odd they picked up the phone on the second ring for me. I bet your hanger got bent in shipping and there is probably no damage to the derailuer.
    Just got voicemail again. Did you call 1-800-888-bike?

mtbr member
    That RD hanger looks like it could be bent. Hard to tell from the pic.

I don't know what time you tried to call before, but its almost 8:00 pm Eastern now.

mtbr member
    I called around 3pm EST yesterday.

mtbr member
    Looks like a bent D hanger to me.

Resident Gear Head
    Looks bent if you ask me

2 Hands Working Do More Than 1000 Hands Praying

mtbr member

Just Received Skyhawk - Rear Derailleur issue

It looks like the hanger is bent. The cage (the part that hangs down and has the twi small gears) might be bent as well.

Here is what mine looks like from directly behind the bike.

Just Received Skyhawk - Rear Derailleur issue-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368060846.467436.jpg

mtbr member
    Yep hanger is bent! Did you email Eric at Airborne?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Yep hanger is bent! Did you email Eric at Airborne?

Yep; but it must be me....emailed and called yesterday starting around 1; no reposnse.

E-mailed more info last night and called again morning...no resposne.

Airborne Product Dude
    Dan,

We are a small company and yesterday afternoon we were out of the office packing for, heading to, and attending a weekly mountain bike race that we sponsor.

I'm sorry you didn't get instant response and gratification.

We just listend to your voicemail and Eric will get back with you regarding the RD hanger this morning. Also, in regards to your comments about the fork being installed backwards: the stem is turned 180 degrees for packaging. The two bolts on the back need to be loosened, and the stem spun 180 degrees, then tightened.

If you have a problem or need something from us, it's best to contact us directly rather than blast things out on a public forum. IMHO its poor form and not something that I personally would do when dealing with any company. Now if we ignored you and didn't take care of you for some sort of signficant time period, I could understand. But you just got the bike yesterday afternoon and we are taking care of your issue this morning........

Thanks and regards,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Dan,

We are a small company and yesterday afternoon we were out of the office packing for, heading to, and attending a weekly mountain bike race that we sponsor.

I'm sorry you didn't get instant response and gratification.

We just listend to your voicemail and Eric will get back with you regarding the RD hanger this morning. Also, in regards to your comments about the fork being installed backwards: the stem is turned 180 degrees for packaging. The two bolts on the back need to be loosened, and the stem spun 180 degrees, then tightened.

If you have a problem or need something from us, it's best to contact us directly rather than blast things out on a public forum. IMHO its poor form and not something that I personally would do when dealing with any company. Now if we ignored you and didn't take care of you for some sort of signficant time period, I could understand. But you just got the bike yesterday afternoon and we are taking care of your issue this morning........

Thanks and regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy,

Thanks for the update. I spoke with Eric and he's send me out a new hanger.

To be clear - I didn't "blast" anything initially; I simply asked for people’s analysis/suggestions so if it was something simple I could fix it and then get my new toy out on the road – everyone would be happy. When I was repeatedly told/challenged/asked why I wasn't contacting you - I then answered that I already had, but wasn't getting a response – which was a fact. (BTW – 3-4 hours is not "instant gratification", but a reasonable expectation - especially for customer service which typically IS indeed instant). Personally; when I am out of the office I set up auto-replies on my e-mail and change my voicemail to inform people of that fact; this way it avoids the misunderstandings that occurred. If the entire company was gone (I didn't realize you guys were a two man operation) then….

Anyway; looks like you guys looked at the issue and I should be good to go sometime next week. I was frustrated when receiving an unrideable bike (not Airborne's fault, rather FED Ex's) however, I didn’t mean for this to get blown out of proportion.

Dan

Airborne Product Dude
    Dan,

Thanks for your response.

To clarify, we are more than a 2-man operation but Eric and I are mostly the front guys with support from a small team of others.

A 3-4 hour response time is just not a reasonable expectation in my opinion. I buy stuff from Amazon all of the time and they have, in most people's opinions, the best customer service on the planet (I agree!). When I have a problem, which is not often, it usually takes about 1 working day for a response to my email question. That's what we strive for here also.

Anyway, I don't want to go back and forth about this; I apologize that you aren't happy and we'll do whatever it takes to make it right. Eric is putting your RD hangers in the mail. Give us a call if you have a problem fixing your bike and we'll be happy to help. Thanks a bunch and hope you are happy with your bike going forward!

Thanks so much!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.