Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Just got My Guardian 2.0

Love the looks and for my first MTB it was easy to set up.

I got the 18" frame but I think it might be too large for me

I'm 5' 8.75", with almost exactly 32 inch inseam or slightly smaller. I kind of "nut" myself if I stand with the handle bars tight to my body due to the upward slant in the frame; but not when I am towards the middle/back towards the stem.

Guess I'l for surely check tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gedemer View Post

I'm 5' 8.75", with almost exactly 32 inch inseam or slightly smaller. I kind of "nut" myself if I stand with the handle bars tight to my body due to the upward slant in the frame; but not when I am towards the middle/back towards the stem.

18 should be the right size for you, try again tomorrow and maybe lower the seat a bit.

Anyways, congrats on your new bike!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Did you check with Airborne before ordering? I'm 6' and had a 20 on order but Justin convinced me to switch to the 18.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    What kind of shoes ?

mtbr member
    Then don't stand like that
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Why are you straddling the bike that far up the top tube anyways?

Airborne Product Dude

With your height and inseam, you are right inline for an 18" frame. I personally wouldn't recommend a 16 unless you tell me that you really want a small frame and are OK with having to put a much longer stem on it to make it fit.

Ultimately the stand-over height isn't the most important piece of frame fit. Provided that you can stand over the bike and the reach feels good, the bike should be the right size.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    It's all good. I was wearing Nike Free just to test it out which are almost barefoot shoes. I don't actually completely "nut" myself.. I was just testing out the clearance from the stem to the handlebars.

Thanks everyone.

Now I just need a little extr air in the tires and I'm ready to hit the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Guess I could ask this here.

How would I go about adjusting the fork/shock to fit my weight and environment? And what is the "Lock Out" blue turn knob? Thanks

Fat-tired Roadie
    I just stumbled into this thread from "recent posts" and don't care enough to memorize Airborne's specs. The Guardian is a hardtail, right? Just say "fork." "Shock" typically refers to the one that controls rear wheel travel on a FS.

What fork is it? Does it have an air or a coil spring?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I just stumbled into this thread from "recent posts" and don't care enough to memorize Airborne's specs. The Guardian is a hardtail, right? Just say "fork." "Shock" typically refers to the one that controls rear wheel travel on a FS.

What fork is it? Does it have an air or a coil spring?
    Fork RockShox XC28 TK Mg29 with Preload Adjust, Rebound Adjust and Lock-Out, 100mm

Fat-tired Roadie
    OK, now we're talking. "Preload Adjust" implies you have a coil fork. Start by setting sag. This is how far into its travel the fork sinks when you get on the bike. I think 20 mm is a good starting point for a 100 mm fork on a hardtail. Dial the rebound adjust all the way to the hare and turn off the lockout, so the fork is as mobile as possible. Slide the O-ring (substitute a zip tie if your fork doesn't have an O-ring for this) all the way to the bottom of the exposed stanchion. Carefully get on your bike in a riding position and lift your butt off the saddle. I do this next to a wall so I can steady myself. Then, get off the bike and see how much stanchion is exposed below the O-ring. If it's more than 20 mm, try more preload. If it's less, try less. If you end up all the way at an extreme, move on to the next step. (Also move on to the next step if you've got it dialed.)

Next, set rebound. If you feel like the fork kicks back when you ride off a curb or step, try more damping - move it toward the hare. I can only rough this in when I'm not on a trail, so don't stress about it too much.

Now the fun part. Go ride. If you bottom out your fork, try more preload. If in a typical ride you don't use all your travel, try less. I set up my fork to bottom out gently a couple times a ride. I don't feel it bottoming out, it's that gentle, but I can see that the O-ring has traveled all the way up. I figure I paid a lot of money for that travel, so I'm going to use it. But I also don't want to damage my fork and bottoming out harshly is... harsh. Not good for staying in control.

For rebound, try riding the same section of trail (I chose a descent) repeatedly with very different settings. Keep splitting the difference between your two favorites until you've got it dialed. Kind of like going to the optometrist.

Lock-out is nice on pavement. You may find you like to use it on unpaved roads too. Try it both ways and see what you like. The purpose is to make the fork rigid, though they usually still have a little give. So using it on trails defeats the purpose of having a suspension fork.

If you can't find a preload level that works for you, you may need a different spring kit. Dial in what you've got and then decide.

Enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thank you very much for the useful info.

I had lock out turned all the way on last night and I could still depress the fork about 2.5 - 3 inches when pressing down hard.

mtbr member
    We need pictures Gedemer!! Show us that new ride kind sir!
    Friends don't let friends ride 2x.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Just got My Guardian 2.0

Thank you very much for the useful info.

I had lock out turned all the way on last night and I could still depress the fork about 2.5 - 3 inches when pressing down hard.
    I believe it's only "on" or "off" with the turnkey damper. Regardless, most lockouts have a "blowoff" feature that allows the fork to compress in response to a big enough hit. If it works right, it should still feel very solid when you climb out of the saddle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Just got My Guardian 2.0-image.jpg

On campus at the moment. This is the only one I have so far :/

Yea sorry, didn't mean to say sort of turned the lock feature; I fully turned it on.

The only trouble I had initially was the front caliper scraping when moving. I loosened the front caliper and pressed the brake fairly hard and retightened it. No scraping now.

edit: forgot to take reflectors off

mtbr member
    Looks great and congrats - welcome to the family! One problem that I see.... it's too clean! Go get it dirty!

Fat-tired Roadie
    Try to dress your brake hoses neatly. When they're hanging out like the one to your front brake, they can catch on things. Very annoying.

Enjoy the new bike!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Shoes, Homer Simpson would say "doh!" Glad it worked out for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Then don't stand like that
    Reminds me of Archie Campbell as the dr on Hee Haw. When a patient would say, "doc it hurts when I do this", Archie would say, "then don't do that!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Did not even realize there is a special tire guage you need -.- Guess I'll need a Presta Adapter?

Guess I wont be riding for a while unfortunately...

mtbr member
    Yep, you will need a Presta to Shrader adapter, but you should be able to easily find one. I picked one up at WalMart for a couple of bucks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Yep, you will need a Presta to Shrader adapter, but you should be able to easily find one. I picked one up at WalMart for a couple of bucks.
    Shrader is the one they use on Vehicle tires correct?

google answered my question.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Get a dual shrader/presta pump with an air pressure gauge. About 25 bucks for a decent one at Walmart or performance bike. The gauge itself us worth the price of admission

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Teletodd View Post
    Get a dual shrader/presta pump with an air pressure gauge. About 25 bucks for a decent one at Walmart or performance bike. The gauge itself us worth the price of admission
    Sounds good

edit: can't find any on their site. Shall look in store later this evening.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast