mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Joined the Airborne club!

Was extremely excited to receive the Skyhawk yesterday. Looking forward to getting back into riding (my first new bike for almost 10 years). Had originally ordered the Sabre but an understanding wife and some excellent customer service from Eric at airborne let me switch out my order and upgrade to go with the change of heart to get the Skyhawk instead.

One thing I do need to look at though is the rear derailleur, shifting seems smooth however when i get down to the smaller cogs the chain is skipping and slipping. Anyone had this before? Any quick tips for sorting it out?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Joined the Airborne club!-charles-town-20130212-00180.jpg  

Joined the Airborne club!-hunter-mill-20130212-00181.jpg  

Joined the Airborne club!-hunter-mill-20130212-00183.jpg  

Joined the Airborne club!-hunter-mill-20130212-00185.jpg  

Joined the Airborne club!-hunter-mill-20130212-00186.jpg  

Joined the Airborne club!-hunter-mill-20130212-00187.jpg  

Last edited by coxinio; 02-13-2013 at 11:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Fantastic!!!!

Those are exactly the build pictures we like to see.

Now ride, ride, ride!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    First, contact Airborne customer service. It will give you an opportunity to see how good they are.

Derailleur tuning is part science and part art form.

I am not very good at it, but here are my general thoughts.

1. Avoid turning any limiter screws if you can. Normally, you shouldn't have to move them.
    2. Use the barrel adjuster where the cable attaches to the derailleur. Make small (1/4) turns and test as you turn.
    3. They say to turn the barrel adjuster toward the problem. So, if you're having trouble with the up shift - turn the adjuster so the derailleur/chain moves to the smaller cog (up shift).

Jeremy, from Airborne, can probably weigh in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks Jeff, I'm sure its something simple, the chain moves between the cogs pretty smoothly just as I hit the lower cogs its as if it isn't engaging correctly all of the time and the chain skips a few links. Will have a further play around when I get back this evening. Other than that all is great, love the bike and looking forward to putting some miles on it.

Airborne Product Dude
    Awesome, looks great. Glad to have you as a member of the Squadron!

OK, on the derailleur; Jeff gave you excellent advice. Try that and/or give us a call. We'd be happy to help!

Thanks!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

TXTony
    Rock on dude!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Managed to get things sorted had a play with the adjustment but couldn't get it quite right. A bend or two of the derailleur hanger popped everything back into line so seems it had been bent in shipping. A short email to Eric and a new hanger is being put in the mail. Thanks Airborne...time to ride.
    Last edited by coxinio; 02-20-2013 at 06:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Good to hear that they are taking care of you. Thumbs up for customer service?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    Good to hear that they are taking care of you. Thumbs up for customer service?
    can't fault the service.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Good looking bike!! I love to hear about people ordering Airborne!