Captain Climber

Jeremy, what if... (SkyHawk)

Let me preface this question by saying I love my SkyHawk.. It is so much fun to ride (don't worry Mitch, I am going to upgrade to a 29" Airborne bike one of these days, especially after that spanking I got today). What a bargain at $350 and it has so much upgrade potential.

Jeremy, what if everyone at Airborne decided to give you a new SkyHawk and told you this is all you could ride for the next year and you could replace ( or keep ) anything on it but the frame. What would you do to make it yours and make it great. Would you just XO it out or do something else?

mtbr member
    I thought you did great! The guys I ride with are training me for race shape so fast is the only option now! I see a guardian or a goblin in your future. Saw a green Goblin in the parking lot when I was leaving he stopped over to see the Hobgoblin. Oh I think I figured out the noise on my bikle! I think its the internal cables knocking on the frame! See ya next time

Captain Climber
    Dang, I missed a Goblin? The Green one is the older model correct? I'm not getting a Guardian but probably the Goblin or the new bike coming out soon between the Guardian and the Goblin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The Green is the older one yes. I Have the Black Goblin (18") and you are more than welcome to ride it for awhile when we get together later next month.

Captain Climber
    Hey thanks cuttrs. I look forward to it!

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    Let me preface this question by saying I love my SkyHawk.. It is so much fun to ride (don't worry Mitch, I am going to upgrade to a 29" Airborne bike one of these days, especially after that spanking I got today). What a bargain at $350 and it has so much upgrade potential.

Jeremy, what if everyone at Airborne decided to give you a new SkyHawk and told you this is all you could ride for the next year and you could replace ( or keep ) anything on it but the frame. What would you do to make it yours and make it great. Would you just XO it out or do something else?
    Good question, and the funny thing is that I have an answer based on experience.

I built up a prototype Skyhawk frame with my own parts to test ride it for awhile before production. I put XO (red) on it, with Elixir CR brakes, Richey WCS carbon cockpit, Fox fork, and Crossmax wheels. Final weight was right at 22lbs.

It was a great bike and I loved the way it rode. The only reason its not put together anymore is I'm more of a 29er guy, and eventually the parts got moved over to another test bike.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Captain Climber
    Wow, I didn't realize you had already done this so that makes it an even better answer than I had thought you would be able to give. About how much did all that cost? Would you have changed anything?

22lbs? This one light Mountain Bike. I bet it was fun to ride.

Airborne Product Dude
    Wow, I didn't realize you had already done this so that makes it an even better answer than I had thought you would be able to give. About how much did all that cost? Would you have changed anything?

22lbs? This one light Mountain Bike. I bet it was fun to ride.
    It was a blast, but the funny thing was that I was faster on a nearly stock Goblin that weighed nearly 5lbs more if you compare lap times on the same trail. I don't know if that was due to the 29 vs 26 wheel size or a placebo effect..........

I can't give you a real cost estimate since being in the industry I never pay retail for stuff and some of the parts were move-overs from another test bike I was riding, so I didn't really have a great deal of $$$ wrapped up in it.

The only thing I would have changed is the fork, as the Fox leaked air between rides and it was a 9mm QR. Had I kept the bike I would have moved to a SID with a 15mm thru-axle instead.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Captain Climber
    Good to know Jeremy. When things start to wear out I will gradually replace them. I am sure it will make an already fun bike more of a blast just for riding around. Definitely getting a 29er for keeping pace with other riders. Mitch on his HobGoblin just pulls away fast while we are coasting down hill... not to mention riding through the trails. It would be fun to see how much faster I could be on a SkyHawk like the one you mentioned above and one that is stock like mine is now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Man that would have been a great bike. I wish I could build something to that extent that is that light.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    Man that would have been a great bike. I wish I could build something to that extent that is that light.
    You can

I am having so much fun on this bike I am tempted to do it too! I was riding better than ever today and can't help think that riding a 26" bike is a good training tool for racing on a 29".

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Jeremy, what if... (SkyHawk)

You can

I am having so much fun on this bike I am tempted to do it too! I was riding better than ever today and can't help think that riding a 26" bike is a good training tool for racing on a 29".
    I rode better than ever yesterday. Did a lap in my local park in 37 minutes. I chose 26" because I like the smaller wheel and plan to stick to it, I wonder if I will ever make a transition to a 29er. This bike is amazing though, has the best ride out of anything I have or have used in a reasonable price range
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6