mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Jeremy: quick tire question

So I cannot wait to ride the Goblin XO. I assume that weight reduction was part of the strategy in the XO hence the Black Flag wheel set. Never having run tubeless I am now immersed in the topic.

As I understand it the Maxxis is not a "true" tubeless tire but can be converted via rim tape and Stan's.

True tubeless tires weight a bit less I believe. So why not save another say 3/4 - 1 pound and use a true tubeless tire? Are they less durable i.e. thinner sidewall? Just curious. Oh yes, doesn't the weight of the Stan's liquid cancel any weight saving from lack of a tube?

Also, do people who run Stan's carry a tube and CO2 in the event of a tear in the sidewall or can I now leave all that crap at home?

I'm sure you have seen the Stan'svideo where he runs over nails etc. Pretty impressive.

One last thing: I'd imagine that since the tire is not a closed system (it must breathe a bit or we would not have to periodically air up tires)
    does Stan's evaporate? Do I add a scoop every say month or so?

Thanks again. I am ready to ride the XO so ship it !!!!
    Last edited by drjay9051; 02-28-2013 at 07:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Hey there,

All good questions.

Yes the Maxxis works just fine with the sealant provided with the bike. We ship the bike with tubes installed and its up to the customer to decide if they want to go tubeless. The wheels already have the correct rimstrip in them so all that is needed is to remove the tube, install the tubeless valve, put the sealant in the tire, then air it up.

We knew that tubeless isn't for everyone so we used a tire that would work for both groups of people buying the bike, knowing that the most important part, and most expensive part, is the wheels that we provided. Tires are so individual anyway that the same tire that works great for someone is hated by someone else. A lot depends on riding terrain and style.

Most people that ride tubeless still carry a spare tube and a way to inflate their tire (CO2 or minipump). There's a chance of burping the air out if you run low air and take a big hit, and sometimes a big puncture is too much for the sealant to handle. When that happens a tube must come to the rescue.

How long the sealant lasts is variable. For some folks they need to add a little every month or two, while others can go 5-6 months. A lot depends on how often you ride, conditions, and how many things get stuck in your tire over that time period.

I don't run tubeless. There's a few reasons for that, probably the main one being that I am a bit of an old-school curmudgeon that likes to run my tire pressure probably way higher than I should (a left-over from my XC racing days) so I don't need the added pinch-flat protection that tubless offers if you run low psi. I just don't like to feel my tires squirm around while I am railing a corner. Again that's me; someone can argue against that all day long with valid reasons I know. I've also had a tubeless tire burp out its air on the trail and had to put a tube in there, and made a mess of things with sealant goop all over my nice white grips and gloves . (insert sissy insult here).

Anyway, hope that helps a bit. Glad you are excited about your XO!

Jeremy
    Homebrewer, Patriot, Amateur Photographer

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I run Charger Pro's on my Guardian, they are also Stans tubless rims like the Black Flags.
    I can answer some of these questions for you.
    Just about any tire can be run tubeless with liquid sealant.
    UST tubeless tires are:
    -generally more expensive
    -heavier

As far as weight goes, a few ounces of Stans sealant weighs far less than even the thinnest tube. and from my experience will better protect you from flats than the thickest ones.

You still need to carry a spare tube. if you burp a tire (never had this happen with my BST rims) or your sealant is dried out you may need it.
    Stans sealant does dry out, Mine usually lasts about 3 months. I have been on the trail, and had a flat because the sealant dried out. I had to use my spare tube that time, but learned my lesson. I put 2oz of sealant in about every 3 months. About every third time I remove the tire and clean out the dried up stuff.

On the trail I carry a regular hand pump, a valve stem remover, couple 2oz bottles of sealant and a piece of tubing to squirt the sealant into the valve stem in case my sealant is dry. I've found that as long as you don't break the bead you can add sealant and fill you tires with a pump. I dont carry CO2 because it just doesn't have the volume to get a bead to seat. If I break a bead I use my tube till I get home.

I hope that helps.

TXTony
    If you decide to go tubeless your tires might seep the first few days. Sealant will leak out through the sidewalls as air escapes. You may need to keep adding air to them until they seal up completely. Every tire is different. I had a set of Maxxis USTs that seeped like they where crying. Good tires though.

Tire size will determine how much Stan's to put in. On the 29er I added 3-4 ounces to each tire. The Geax that came on my Goblin where the easiest tires I have ever set up tubeless.

I carry a mini pump instead of a cartridge. Old school. Hate messing with the things. A spare tube. An old rag in the event I do have to stick a tube in there I can wipe the goop out of the tire. Still makes a mess. A spare 2oz bottle of Stan's. A extra valve core from Stan's in the event I drop or loose it while doing trail side repair. (haven't had that happen yet).

I also like to run high tire pressure for the reasons stated above and run mine at max psi or a little above. No problems so far. But kind of defeats one of the reasons for going with no tube.

I have been running tubeless for years and have yet to have to add a tube from a flat. Knock on wood. Every flat I have gotten I was able to add sealant. Pump the tire up and continue riding. But better prepared beats walking back to the trail head.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Jeremy: quick tire question

Hey Tony, did you set up the stock wheels and tires on your goblin tubeless before you went to the black flags? If so did you use gorilla tape or a stans kit?

Not even sure I want to go tubeless, but I'm sure I will eventually.

TXTony
    Never used the stock wheels. They came off the bike the day I got it.

mtbr member
    Dr Jay.
    These are all good questions but you need to do a little more research before blasting away questions. The questions you asked above weren't really Airborne specific questions.

There is alot of good answers on this board, the manufacturer's websites, and YouTube. Check these first.

As it seems like you are relatively new to the mountain bike hobby and interested in weight reduction, there is a whole section in the forums called "Weight Weenies".

Also, when you get your Goblin XO, and you start tearing it apart, please don't post in the Airborne section "Help Jeremy, how do I get my new tires onto my rim?" I'm sure he has other things to do besides be your tech and product guy.

Having said that, would love to hear how you like the new XO Goblin.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hmm, I thought that Dr Jays question was "Airborne" specific. He askes specifically about the Black Flag wheel set and the Maxxis tires that come stock on the XO. Jeremy's response was also helpful as I had no idea the rim strips were already installed as nothing in my literature suggests that. I suppose I would have found out but only after I purchased a rim strip or tape and pulled the tubes when I started the conversion. My style is to have all the parts on hand before starting a project. So, thanks for both the question and responses.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Dr Jay.
    These are all good questions but you need to do a little more research before blasting away questions. The questions you asked above weren't really Airborne specific questions.

There is alot of good answers on this board, the manufacturer's websites, and YouTube. Check these first.

As it seems like you are relatively new to the mountain bike hobby and interested in weight reduction, there is a whole section in the forums called "Weight Weenies".

Also, when you get your Goblin XO, and you start tearing it apart, please don't post in the Airborne section "Help Jeremy, how do I get my new tires onto my rim?" I'm sure he has other things to do besides be your tech and product guy.

Having said that, would love to hear how you like the new XO Goblin.
    Dude:

I have checked your above referenced sites inc. Stan's and multiple You Tube videos.

I have no intention of asking "how to change a tire". Jeremy and Eric at Airborne have been helpful so i posed the questions to Jeremy and I believe they were in part fairly Airborne specific, re: Wheelset that comes on the XO.

I did not want to post here and than post tubeless specific questions in the wheel sub forum. I think I'm O.K. with how I approached this.

I see you are also new to the forum so tread lightly.

If my questions are out of line or belong elsewhere I'm sure he or a mod will let me know.

Not looking to start a war but don't need your "advice".

O.K.? So now can't we all just get along.

DR. J

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seeg View Post
    Hmm, I thought that Dr Jays question was "Airborne" specific. He askes specifically about the Black Flag wheel set and the Maxxis tires that come stock on the XO. Jeremy's response was also helpful as I had no idea the rim strips were already installed as nothing in my literature suggests that. I suppose I would have found out but only after I purchased a rim strip or tape and pulled the tubes when I started the conversion. My style is to have all the parts on hand before starting a project. So, thanks for both the question and responses.
    No worries, glad that I could respond with helpful info! I guess we mst hav done a bad job on the website of explaining what comes on/with the bike. I'll take a look at the verbiage and see about changing it. To clarify, the rim strips are installed, and there is a small white box with the bike that contains the sealant, valve cores, instructions, and extra a if you want to run the wheels on a different bike that takes a QR front or a 142 rear.

Dude:

I have checked your above referenced sites inc. Stan's and multiple You Tube videos.

I have no intention of asking "how to change a tire". Jeremy and Eric at Airborne have been helpful so i posed the questions to Jeremy and I believe they were in part fairly Airborne specific, re: Wheelset that comes on the XO.

I did not want to post here and than post tubeless specific questions in the wheel sub forum. I think I'm O.K. with how I approached this.

I see you are also new to the forum so tread lightly.

If my questions are out of line or belong elsewhere I'm sure he or a mod will let me know.

Not looking to start a war but don't need your "advice".

DR. J
    Its OK, we don't mind ANY questions. You'd be surprised the questions we get on a daily basis over the phone and in emails. From a Sabre owner dealing with his first mtb and not knowing how to change a flat or adjust a derailleur, to a Hobgoblin owner needing help swapping out his bearings to ceramic bearings. Yes they could get the info elsewhere but we'd rather be the folks people think of first when asking questions about their bikes, or even bikes in general.

It's all good.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seeg View Post
    Hmm, I thought that Dr Jays question was "Airborne" specific. He askes specifically about the Black Flag wheel set and the Maxxis tires that come stock on the XO.
    Hmmm, yeah I guess???? Only common sense seems like it would be directed at the WHEEL AND TIRE section.

Typical of people these days - taking the path of least resistance.

But whatever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Dude:

DR. J
    Sure......"Dude" - LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I guess we mst hav done a bad job on the website of explaining what comes on/with the bike. I'll take a look at the verbiage and see about changing it. Jeremy
    Well, unless you just changed the site this morning - and maybe you did, but directly from your site:

"The Blag Flag Pro's are strong enough to be great every day wheels, yet light enough to stay on for race-day. In the box we've included all that you'd need to convert the wheels to tubeless if that's your thing."

AND

"Extras Sun Ringle Tubeless conversion kit included"

Not so sure what else there is to say?

Well besides thanks for answering all of our questions Jeremy

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Sure......"Dude" - LOL
    Good deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My apologies to Jeremy. Included in the box is a small plastic bag containing two 2 oz bottles of Stans tire sealant and two Presta valve stems. Also included was a one page sheet of instructions which does state that, among other things, that the yellow sealing tape has already been installed on the rims. I hadn't opened the bag as I wasn't at the point where I was ready to convert the tires to tubeless. So , the literature did in fact make it clear that the rims were already taped. It just never occurred to me that the rims were pre-taped inasmuch as they came with tubes. But remember, I'm new at this.

mtbr member
    No wories, I wasn't offended at all! Glad all is good.

Did you convert to tubeless or are you still running tubes? If you converted how hard did you feel the process was?

Jeremy

TXTony
    So much for knocking on wood...I finally burped a tire off the rim yesterday while riding...fun times..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Jeremy: quick tire question

Lol. Were you able to set it back up to hold air?

TXTony
    Nope...it was a 2.4 inch tire and I tried for 30 minutes to get it to seat but no luck..I was going to throw a tube in it but was only a mile from the TH so I hiked a bike out instead of messing with the goop..I had just added Stans to it..got back home and put the compressor on it badda bing...back on..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    ouch. This was wise words and the reason why you should always carry an air compressor with you in the car, or maybe your whole tool box? Just messing with you. That sucks pretty bad but I think you made the right choice not putting a tube in it, the stans would have gotten everywhere plus you would probably just convert it back to tubeless when you got home anyway.

TXTony
    It is all good .....I need to get new tires for that bike anyway...I have been sucking as much life out them as I could..

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    It is all good .....I need to get new tires for that bike anyway...I have been sucking as much life out them as I could..
    I think a lot of us try to do that. I personally even before being an avid bicyclist tried to get the most out of my tires and brakes. But sometimes I regret it as you may here. But on the bright side you now have the perfect reason for those tires