mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Issue with New Guardian 2.0

Pasting from Beginners Corner

I have an Airborne Guardian 2.0

To start when I'm pedaling I hear and feel a click in both pedals (i did not lubricate them when installing; the lube will be here as I ordered some onamazon).

Next, when I pedal backwards it doesnt seem very smooth. It feels gritty sort of or maybe that The chain is not aligned properly. When I look at the teeth position on the chain the teeth are hitting it towards the back portion of the links. Should it be centered?

Thanks.

Edit: When I move the back gears (rotated backwards) it has a significant click at certain points.

Photo - Tooth seems kinda off? Supposed to be centered in the middle of the links? (sorry they suck...dark inside and my flash is garbage and the bike is dirty; havent cleaned it since the first ride)

Issue with New Guardian 2.0-img_1955.jpgIssue with New Guardian 2.0-img_1950.jpgIssue with New Guardian 2.0-img_1951.jpgIssue with New Guardian 2.0-img_1952.jpgIssue with New Guardian 2.0-img_1953.jpgIssue with New Guardian 2.0-img_1954.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Have you tried using your barrel adjuster on the shifter to center the derailleur on the cog? Turn it out to go left, in to go right. If you go to far either way, you'll start to get that grinding noise telling you you're off center. Too far either way will also result in poor shifting, or missed shift. The chain not centered on the chainring is typical as there is only one gear on the cassette it is likely in perfect alignment with to be perfectly centered, all the rest will be on an angle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tuskenraider View Post
    Have you tried using your barrel adjuster on the shifter to center the derailleur on the cog? Turn it out to go left, in to go right. If you go to far either way, you'll start to get that grinding noise telling you you're off center. Too far either way will also result in poor shifting, or missed shift. The chain not centered on the chainring is typical as there is only one gear on the cassette it is likely in perfect alignment with to be perfectly centered, all the rest will be on an angle.
    I'm a complete noob when it comes to bikes. So I have not tried that or even know what that is -.-

This one correct? (this is the left one; so front)

Issue with New Guardian 2.0-asdfasdf.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Correct.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I had the same problem when i got my guardian a few months ago. You will need to go to you tube and learn to adjust the rear derailuer, its easy as well the rear derailuer hanger is most likely a little bent they are very soft and meant to deform. look at these two and you should be fine. If you are not confident to fix take to your local bike shop.

Airborne Product Dude
    The RD hanger appears to be straight looking at the photo of it posted above.

Its normal for stuff to bed in after a few initial rides, which then necessitates a little bit of adjusting and bolt checking.

First, the pedal clicking could be many possible things. Check all of the bolts to ensure they are tight. This includes chainring bolts and the bolts that hold the crank-arms on. It would also be good to put grease on the pedal threads. Also check your seat and seat clamp. These often make noises when they aren't tight that can be confused with noises coming from the BB/crank.

If the chain feels "gritty", I suggest you clean it and lube it.

Finally, in regards to the shifting in the back, more than likely the cable housing has settled in and you need to adjust by putting more tension on the system by adjusting the barrel on the rear shifter. You want to turn it counter clockwise a quarter turn or so and check shifting. You may need to adjust it a little more until you get it perfect. This is best done in a stand or with the bike elevated so that you can turn the crank with your hands and shift thru the gears.

There are a lot of videos out there on youtube regarding rear deraileur adjustment. Its not very difficult once you understand how it works, and once you learn it you won't forget it. Kind of like riding a bike!

Hope that helps,

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    And the pin on the cog you have circled is a normal thing. They engineer the pins on the cogs/chainrings to help ramp the chain up and down the cassette and front crank when you are shifting.
    Money doesn't buy happiness, but you can buy a bike, and that is pretty close.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Great responses. Thank you a bunch everyone; ill fiddle with it tonight. Definitely happy I went with airborne. Love the bike and Customer Service

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yea my derailer hanger is bent. I adjusted it so it won't hit, then if I go to the other side of the gears; smallest to largest, it will hit on the other side. Also when my bike is upside down and I pedal, the chain is not straight

Airborne Product Dude
    We have replacement ones on our website, and you can also order one in the Airborne section on derailleurhanger.com.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Ok I'm getting really pissed.

I cannot get my damn front tire on without the calipers rubbing when the wheel moves. I hold the brake and the whole brakes moves due to tightening of the bolts...

I got the brakes on really right and it's not rubbing, but I had to loosen the small bolt that holds the pads in. When that is loose it doesn't rub, but when I tighten it, it rubs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Issue with New Guardian 2.0-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Give the guys at Airborne a call... They will walk you through hese issues. Or it may be worthwhile to plunk down 75-90 for a basic tuneup at your favorite bike shop if you're getting frustrated with the tuning and just want it done.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I think I got it!

Now the only problem is that there is only a tiny (about a paper width) clearance between caliper and disc brake. Is that ok?

Issue with New Guardian 2.0-image.jpg

Inserting a playing card is tight

Airborne Product Dude
    That should be fine. Tolerances on disc brakes are very tight so that's not unusual. Glad you figured it out!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.