Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 150
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831

    Introducing the Airborne Seeker 29er

    We are pleased to introduce the new Airborne Seeker 29er!~ For those of you who have been asking for a bike that slots between the Guardian and Goblin, we've listened to your request!

    For more info, check out: Airborne Bicycles. Seeker

    Thanks!

    Jeremy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Airborne Seeker 29er-seeker_pre_sale.jpg  

    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  2. #2
    Perpetual n00b
    Reputation: dgw2jr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,760
    Beautiful!
    The leg bone's connected to the Cash Bone!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4
    Also announced Guardian trade-up program! Seriously though this bike looks amazing and will definitely be looking at it come upgrade time this winter. Keep up the great work down there in Ohio (even though it's Ohio...)

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    206
    BDF, it looks great! Really nice colors and specs.

    The Airborne folks have another great looking bike in their stable.

  5. #5
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    4,596
    Geez, the 'seeker' lol, sounds like a cheap chinese car, or an old ladies or chicks bike, surely thats not the best airborne could come up with ?

    But credit where credits due, great looking bike, love the classy colours, nice work Airborne, but please come and see me before you name another bike I'll give you a real name for free.
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KrazyKreitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    451

    Introducing the Airborne Seeker 29er

    Would ya look at that? Great looking bike guys!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ranger Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    Ordered!


    They said I was the 1st to order! not sure if that is 100% true or not, but it makes me feel good about it.
    Last edited by Ranger Mac; 07-11-2013 at 04:17 PM.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ranger Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    now i have to wait a month, but I don't have to worry about which color I want

    Nothing out there touches this on specs. $1029 for us hawaii residents, but what a bike. I like the recon gold fork. I like the X5 2x10 drivetrain, I have a X9 3x10 drivetrain that i have left over from my XTC 29er build (when i decided on the X0 drivetrain) and may keep it for back up or sell it to help fund this purchase. Love the paint scheme.

    This was a no brainer. I liked the Cobia, but no bike shop stock them regularly and wouldn't discount anything to order it, so for what is over $300 cheaper then what I can get a cobia ordered and shipped here for I get a better fork and an amazing looking bike.

    Truly nothing comes close to this for $200 more money then this.
    Last edited by Ranger Mac; 07-11-2013 at 11:45 AM.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    206
    Congrats!

    As always, please upload pics before, during, and after assembly.

    Hopefully, the wait will pass quickly.

  10. #10
    Level 5 Rider!
    Reputation: Desidus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Geez, the 'seeker' lol, sounds like a cheap chinese car, or an old ladies or chicks bike, surely thats not the best airborne could come up with ?

    But credit where credits due, great looking bike, love the classy colours, nice work Airborne, but please come and see me before you name another bike I'll give you a real name for free.
    I like the name... seems perfect for a ht. Man wish I could afford this bike. Sweet looking ride. Not sure if I would like a 29'r being only 5'3 but it still seems awesome.
    You earn 1000 exp!
    You are now lvl 5! (5/100)
    Str +3, Sta +4, MTB Skills +1, Grip +1, Iron Butt +1
    New Item - Broken pedals

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,091
    Nice looking bike! Wish this option was available when I ordered my Guardian and fumbled around with upgrades, but you live and learn! Looks like you have got one of the best bikes under $1000 on the market!

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4
    Hi guys,

    I spoke to Eric in theOhio office and he spent a lot of time with me over the phone (Thanks Eric!) and help convince me to go the Goblin route. I have been on one Mountain bike trip and It was a huge jump from the Guardian but I knew for the price and components it would be worth it. This morning I found out that the Seeker was going to be released on the market. I am now wondering if I made the right decision. My research has shown that the Goblin pound-pound is priced well and has better components. I am fairly new to MTB'ing but I pick things up quick and my best friend is a hard core MTB'r. I guess my question is, it was apparent that I would outgrow the Guardian, but would i have out grown the Seeker ?

    I am sorry, I didn't realize there was an in between bike when I spoke to Eric. My buddy still says i should stick with the Goblin. I guess I just need a lil assurance I did the right thing. Some things to consider:

    1) The most I can ride in the mountains is 1 x per week, cross country and single tracks
    2) I will be doing 2-3 times of riding per week going to work or the gym (2-3 miles one way)

    if someone could get back to me I would appreciate it.

    P.S. What's making it so hard for me is that the new color scheme on Seeker is Sick!!!!!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    12
    Oh wow. I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a Guardian 2.0 but I think I'm gonna have to reconsider. Is Airborne going to offer free shipping on the initial run of these bikes?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Hi guys,

    I spoke to Eric in theOhio office and he spent a lot of time with me over the phone (Thanks Eric!) and help convince me to go the Goblin route. I have been on one Mountain bike trip and It was a huge jump from the Guardian but I knew for the price and components it would be worth it. This morning I found out that the Seeker was going to be released on the market. I am now wondering if I made the right decision. My research has shown that the Goblin pound-pound is priced well and has better components. I am fairly new to MTB'ing but I pick things up quick and my best friend is a hard core MTB'r. I guess my question is, it was apparent that I would outgrow the Guardian, but would i have out grown the Seeker ?

    I am sorry, I didn't realize there was an in between bike when I spoke to Eric. My buddy still says i should stick with the Goblin. I guess I just need a lil assurance I did the right thing. Some things to consider:

    1) The most I can ride in the mountains is 1 x per week, cross country and single tracks
    2) I will be doing 2-3 times of riding per week going to work or the gym (2-3 miles one way)

    if someone could get back to me I would appreciate it.

    P.S. What's making it so hard for me is that the new color scheme on Seeker is Sick!!!!!
    The Goblin is still a better bike in almost every area than the Seeker, so if you can afford it, I'd stick to that decision. If your budget is tight and you still need to buy a helmet, pedals, and other bike accessories, then I'd go with the Seeker.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    206
    Glamdring - Either bike will work for what you describe.

    The way I would look at it is the amount of money you want to spend. The biggest difference between Seeker and Goblin will be the drive train. The X5s will work just fine for most riding. The X7s are going to shift crisper, be a little lighter, and just be a little higher quality.

    In my opinion, the riding you describe sounds like the Seeker would work great for. If you we're more avid about riding off road then I would lean more towards the Goblin.

    Both are great bikes. Goblin will be a little better.

  16. #16
    lmw
    lmw is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    33
    dang thats a real nice paint job

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4
    Thanks Gents for the replies. I can afford the Goblin, I just wanted to know if it was overkill ( plus the new Seeker looks sick). I just didnt know whether or not I could tell the difference? I did borrow an old Giant 26er for a week and I outgrew it quick. I guess for the $270 difference, it will be worth it every time i sit on the bike.

  18. #18
    I ride bikes
    Reputation: moefosho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,359
    Good specs. Slap a better wheelset and better tires(those tires are only good in perfect conditions) and you have a great bike.
    '14 Marin Attack Trail C-XT9
    '08 Monocog 29 SS-Stolen
    '13 Marin MV XM7-Stolen

  19. #19
    NeedGod.com
    Reputation: Barheet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    Thanks Gents for the replies. I can afford the Goblin, I just wanted to know if it was overkill ( plus the new Seeker looks sick). I just didnt know whether or not I could tell the difference? I did borrow an old Giant 26er for a week and I outgrew it quick. I guess for the $270 difference, it will be worth it every time i sit on the bike.
    The number 1 rule of purchasing a bike is to always buy the most bike you can afford. So, stick with the Goblin.

    That Seeker is a great looking bike. I like the name, the look and the specs. Excellent!
    Nathan

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ranger Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    Congrats!

    As always, please upload pics before, during, and after assembly.

    Hopefully, the wait will pass quickly.
    I will do just that, but we need to ban all conversation about the new seeker. I figure if we don't talk about it the month wait will be easier.

    Man I am really enjoying the paint scheme.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4
    Ranger Mac- you said it right...that paint scheme is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831
    Thanks!

    No plans on offering a free freight deal on this one. We think its such a smoking good price on a great bike already that we aren't dropping the freight charge. We aren't getting rich on this spec at this price and gotta keep the lights on and the doors open, errr, website turned on!

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Barheet View Post
    The number 1 rule of purchasing a bike is to always buy the most bike you can afford. So, stick with the Goblin.

    That Seeker is a great looking bike. I like the name, the look and the specs. Excellent!
    Thanks!

    I agree with the "buy the most bike you can afford" comment.

    Someone a few weeks ago on here made a funny comment that I will always remember:

    ""I wish I would have bought less bike"....said no one ever."

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hrbib21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    109
    Weeeeellllll that sucks. I would've definitely bought the Seeker rather than the Guardian, specifically for the fork and 2x10 drivetrain. Oh wellz, can't win them all. I guess I'll be using the extra $300 at some point for a better fork (I did just upgrade the XC28 with a firmer spring, at least).

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ranger Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    BigDaddy, I know you are working it, but when can we expect some additional photos of the seeker and new guardian?

    I need some more to hold me over for the next 5 weeks. Man it seems like a long time when you right it out.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    20
    Well the addition of this bike to the stable has made my decision making that much harder!

    My current MTB, that has street tires on it and a Biopace crankset (think 1988), has got to go. Not only have bikes come a long long way since I was in college but my body has gone a long way as well. I'm riding a hybrid for getting into shape on the streets and the veloway near my house but this summer we are getting our 12 y.o twins new hardtails for their bday so if I want to keep up with them, I am going to need a new bike.

    I started thinking the Guardian would be my best bet but since I am 215 and 5'10" (shooting for 200 by end of summer and 185 eventually), I think I need something beefier and the Seeker has my total attention. Of course, now that I am looking at it, suddenly a Goblin at less than $300 more looks very doable. I know no one has ever gone wrong buying a better bike but at the same time, if I am going to be doing easy trails with my kids, will I really notice the difference between the Reba and the Recon Gold? The x5 seems like a great component set and has to be an improvement over the LX level I am using on the hybrid, right?

    Being able to tell my wife that I kept the bike purchase under a grand will also pay benefits (I don't need to tell her about the pedals and assembly). So I am 90% sold on the Seeker but wanted to see if I was being short sighted. I am 43 and probably not going to be taking trips to Moab but you never know what may happen if my boys start really enjoying the sport. Hopefully this gets some views and thanks!

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by avines View Post
    Well the addition of this bike to the stable has made my decision making that much harder!

    My current MTB, that has street tires on it and a Biopace crankset (think 1988), has got to go. Not only have bikes come a long long way since I was in college but my body has gone a long way as well. I'm riding a hybrid for getting into shape on the streets and the veloway near my house but this summer we are getting our 12 y.o twins new hardtails for their bday so if I want to keep up with them, I am going to need a new bike.

    I started thinking the Guardian would be my best bet but since I am 215 and 5'10" (shooting for 200 by end of summer and 185 eventually), I think I need something beefier and the Seeker has my total attention. Of course, now that I am looking at it, suddenly a Goblin at less than $300 more looks very doable. I know no one has ever gone wrong buying a better bike but at the same time, if I am going to be doing easy trails with my kids, will I really notice the difference between the Reba and the Recon Gold? The x5 seems like a great component set and has to be an improvement over the LX level I am using on the hybrid, right?

    Being able to tell my wife that I kept the bike purchase under a grand will also pay benefits (I don't need to tell her about the pedals and assembly). So I am 90% sold on the Seeker but wanted to see if I was being short sighted. I am 43 and probably not going to be taking trips to Moab but you never know what may happen if my boys start really enjoying the sport. Hopefully this gets some views and thanks!

    I ride a Goblin and my wife has a Guardian, both less than 6 months old, and both have been ridden on various terrain for many miles (especially my Goblin which has actually been beat on pretty well). I've ridden both bikes just to see if I could tell a significant difference. I can tell a difference in the two, but it is not dramatic. They were 1) Tires. I'm not yet sold on the small knobby tire, but the AKAs work better than the small block 8s IMO. 2) Fork. 80 vs 100mm travel evident on larger drops and dips, but this is partially negated by the new Guardian 2.0 offering a 100mm fork. Either way, the air fork is smoother, lighter, and infintely more adjustable than the spring shock on the Guardian. 3) Brakes and drivetrain. LOVE the 2X10 gears, and X-7 components and the brakes. IMO the X-5 on the Guardian works just fine but the X-7 just seems more precise and a little quicker (and I'm guessing lighter as well). That's a long way to say, given the description of your intended riding style, the Seeker seems like the perfect bike for you and still give you some budget room for pedals, accesories, and any future upgrades you deem important. The only thing I plan to change on my bike is the front tire and maybe the seat post. I'm just used to the lateral grip a more agressive knobby provides and I'm not too worried about the increased rolling resistance as I generally ride for my own amusement and exercise, not to set land speed records.

  28. #28
    TXTony
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by avines View Post
    Well the addition of this bike to the stable has made my decision making that much harder!

    My current MTB, that has street tires on it and a Biopace crankset (think 1988), has got to go. Not only have bikes come a long long way since I was in college but my body has gone a long way as well. I'm riding a hybrid for getting into shape on the streets and the veloway near my house but this summer we are getting our 12 y.o twins new hardtails for their bday so if I want to keep up with them, I am going to need a new bike.

    I started thinking the Guardian would be my best bet but since I am 215 and 5'10" (shooting for 200 by end of summer and 185 eventually), I think I need something beefier and the Seeker has my total attention. Of course, now that I am looking at it, suddenly a Goblin at less than $300 more looks very doable. I know no one has ever gone wrong buying a better bike but at the same time, if I am going to be doing easy trails with my kids, will I really notice the difference between the Reba and the Recon Gold? The x5 seems like a great component set and has to be an improvement over the LX level I am using on the hybrid, right?

    Being able to tell my wife that I kept the bike purchase under a grand will also pay benefits (I don't need to tell her about the pedals and assembly). So I am 90% sold on the Seeker but wanted to see if I was being short sighted. I am 43 and probably not going to be taking trips to Moab but you never know what may happen if my boys start really enjoying the sport. Hopefully this gets some views and thanks!
    Honestly if you are not going to use any mountain bike to its full potential..like nothing but trails then I would think the Seeker fits your described needs perfect..would you notice a difference on having the Reba...maybe..but probably not from your description of the intended use...if you get in more serious trail riding down the road than having the Reba would be a plus...we all have heard buy the best bike you can afford...which is true...to a point..buy the best bike you can for the intended use..don't get me wrong I love my Goblin and still consider it one of the best dollar for value in hard tail mountain bikes..I think either one will serve your purposes great..and that Seeker is wicked looking

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ranger Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by avines View Post
    Well the addition of this bike to the stable has made my decision making that much harder!

    My current MTB, that has street tires on it and a Biopace crankset (think 1988), has got to go. Not only have bikes come a long long way since I was in college but my body has gone a long way as well. I'm riding a hybrid for getting into shape on the streets and the veloway near my house but this summer we are getting our 12 y.o twins new hardtails for their bday so if I want to keep up with them, I am going to need a new bike.

    I started thinking the Guardian would be my best bet but since I am 215 and 5'10" (shooting for 200 by end of summer and 185 eventually), I think I need something beefier and the Seeker has my total attention. Of course, now that I am looking at it, suddenly a Goblin at less than $300 more looks very doable. I know no one has ever gone wrong buying a better bike but at the same time, if I am going to be doing easy trails with my kids, will I really notice the difference between the Reba and the Recon Gold? The x5 seems like a great component set and has to be an improvement over the LX level I am using on the hybrid, right?

    Being able to tell my wife that I kept the bike purchase under a grand will also pay benefits (I don't need to tell her about the pedals and assembly). So I am 90% sold on the Seeker but wanted to see if I was being short sighted. I am 43 and probably not going to be taking trips to Moab but you never know what may happen if my boys start really enjoying the sport. Hopefully this gets some views and thanks!
    I think the $270 to upgrade from the guardian to the seeker gets you a lot of advantages. Given your current weight the Recon Gold will be a great fork if you get into some fun trails, however the XC28 will be good for the dirt trail riding and would be good for you with probably a spring upgrade in it. The X5 crankset is a great set-up for the money, vast improvement over the E400 on the guardian and almost the same as the X7 on the Goblin. 2x10 gearset on a 29er is a great set-up if you could ride both you would feel the 29er and 2x10 were made for each other (they kind of were) and will definetly allow you to keep up with your kid easier (as well as having the front end be 1.5lbs lighter). The Elixir brakes (although elixir 1s) have had great reviews and are a solid example of trickle down technology from the higher end elixir line. I have had elixir 1s on a bike and loved them, to be honest with the exception of some adjustability it is hard for me to tell the difference from them to any elixir up the line (flame away gearheads, but I like them a lot).

    The Goblin is a great bike (neh Amazing bike), however I think the only weaker point on the Seeker from the Goblin for me is the X7 rear der to the X5. The X5 is not weaker, just the X7 is a bit better. The cranksets are very similiar, brakes for me were almost identical (I don't need the adjustability, just need to stop) Reba is a great fork, but the Recon Gold is as good in many ways. I have a FOX on my XTC now and love it, but it is hard to feel the difference for me between the FOX, REBA, and RECON GOLD. Air from Coil was a big change for me. After that the difference have been weight and adjustability for me and not the actual performance. (I have tried extremly high end forks or the bottom of the air forks either, and feel the three mentioned are very similiar on ride)

    So in short if you think you would be growing with this as your twins get into it more, get the seeker. the fork upgrade alone is worth the $270 difference and you get the rest for good measure for free. If you don't think it likely you will be doing more than just dirt trails then the guardian is a terrific bike, heck it is a great bike period, but you just get in my opinion so much more with the seeker. (especially for your size and I say that knowing I am 190-195 6'1"). I think the Goblin will be slightly lighter then the seeker, but performance wise it will be very close. The components on the Seeker will suit most well and not require immediate upgrades of anything.

    Also the seeker is just pure sexy with the matt grey/gold accents with the recon gold fork. I was looking at the guardian and the goblin at first. Was looking at pricing what I wanted to change on the guardian and then the seeker came out. Everything I want and nothing I don't really need.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL SRAM XX1

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by TXTony View Post
    Honestly if you are not going to use any mountain bike to its full potential..like nothing but trails then I would think the Seeker fits your described needs perfect..would you notice a difference on having the Reba...maybe..but probably not from your description of the intended use...if you get in more serious trail riding down the road than having the Reba would be a plus...we all have heard buy the best bike you can afford...which is true...to a point..buy the best bike you can for the intended use..don't get me wrong I love my Goblin and still consider it one of the best dollar for value in hard tail mountain bikes..I think either one will serve your purposes great..and that Seeker is wicked looking
    I assume the TX means Texas (I'm smart that way), Tony and thanks for the reply!. If you know Austin, I doubt I will ever pedal at Emma Long. 20 years ago, I loved dropping into the greenbelt at Barton Skyway and taking it up to Sculpture Falls. I hear the trail is much gnarlier now but I would think there are plenty of trails I could take that will keep me off any significant drops. I'm a middle age dude who weighs enough that taking a header would be seriously damaging and just doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

    The thing that gets me is that it is less than $300 for the Goblin which looks super sweet. Of course, if I strongly consider the Goblin, there isn't too much more to go from it to the Hobgoblin and I could then ride any trail in non-bone jarring style.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by avines View Post

    The thing that gets me is that it is less than $300 for the Goblin which looks super sweet. Of course, if I strongly consider the Goblin, there isn't too much more to go from it to the Hobgoblin and I could then ride any trail in non-bone jarring style.
    ................and for a little more than that you could have the Goblin XO.

    Just kidding!

    I do love all the back and forth, and that we are at the point now where we are offering more options to fit more people in terms of riding styles and budgetary needs. The fact that people are now agonizing between two different Airborne models is great!

    We have more up our sleeve over the next few months, so stay tuned!

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ranger Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyflyer View Post
    ................and for a little more than that you could have the goblin xo.

    just kidding!

    i do love all the back and forth, and that we are at the point now where we are offering more options to fit more people in terms of riding styles and budgetary needs. The fact that people are now agonizing between two different airborne models is great!

    We have more up our sleeve over the next few months, so stay tuned!

    Jeremy
    no more!
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL SRAM XX1

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    29
    Might that include what I heard a glimpse of before? A "Stache-like bike"?

  34. #34
    TXTony
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by avines View Post
    I assume the TX means Texas (I'm smart that way), Tony and thanks for the reply!. If you know Austin, I doubt I will ever pedal at Emma Long. 20 years ago, I loved dropping into the greenbelt at Barton Skyway and taking it up to Sculpture Falls. I hear the trail is much gnarlier now but I would think there are plenty of trails I could take that will keep me off any significant drops. I'm a middle age dude who weighs enough that taking a header would be seriously damaging and just doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

    The thing that gets me is that it is less than $300 for the Goblin which looks super sweet. Of course, if I strongly consider the Goblin, there isn't too much more to go from it to the Hobgoblin and I could then ride any trail in non-bone jarring style.


    Yep..Texas dude...Ft Worth...I have ridden some of the stuff in Austin...I know what I would do in your shoes...for 3 bills in difference I would get the Goblin...it will do everything you want and if you get the itch to some more hardcore stuff I t will handle that as well..the Reba is a great fork..as far as the FS goes yep you could make that leap as well...but I hardly touch my FS bikes these days...I have reverted back to hard tails and I am on the high end of the 40 age group...Airborne is making it hard to choose a bike these days...all there bikes are value packed for the money...one or two things usually happen,,,a guy buys a bike and rides it for awhile and it finds its way into the garage with all the other hobby stuff collecting time...

    Or they get bit by the bike bug and start upgrading and looking for stuff to improve the bike they bought...The Goblin lends itself to be a awesome ride out of the box and everything on it is above entry level and will serve you well...my initial thought was to replace the entire drive train with X9 stuff..have not found the need to do so...the specs are great and everything works great...I usually can not leave my bikes alone and am always swapping things out on them..the only thing I switched out on the Goblin where the wheels....mainly because I got them on sale and am a fan of Ringle wheels..I swapped out the seat post and handle bar and stem...but those things are a personal thing that most all of us do..

    I have had no issues with a hard tail 29er on the trails around here in Ft Worth..if I was buying another Goblin I would spring for the X0 version over a FS one...just because.it rocks...and I agree you are getting a lot for 300 more dollars...not like other companies where those kind of jumps can be like 5-6 hundred dollars...my vote! Goblin.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KrazyKreitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    451

    Introducing the Airborne Seeker 29er

    Exactly what TXTony said. I'm the kind of person who can't leave anything alone. I've spent more on upgrades for my Goblin than I did purchasing the bike. And I got some good deals on parts too.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheDocTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by hrbib21 View Post
    Weeeeellllll that sucks. I would've definitely bought the Seeker rather than the Guardian, specifically for the fork and 2x10 drivetrain. Oh wellz, can't win them all. I guess I'll be using the extra $300 at some point for a better fork (I did just upgrade the XC28 with a firmer spring, at least).
    Have you had a chance to ride it with the firm spring?

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrodomis View Post
    Might that include what I heard a glimpse of before? A "Stache-like bike"?


    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ranger Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Necrodomis View Post
    Might that include what I heard a glimpse of before? A "Stache-like bike"?
    What glimpse?
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL SRAM XX1

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mac View Post
    BigDaddy, I know you are working it, but when can we expect some additional photos of the seeker and new guardian?

    I need some more to hold me over for the next 5 weeks. Man it seems like a long time when you right it out.
    Hopefully soon!

    Thanks for your order. You were indeed the first Seeker order. Over the past 2 days since we've blown up with orders and calls/emails about the Seeker! We're stoked!!!

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  40. #40
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,354
    Have to chime in and say, I'd still get the Goblin spec vs spec, but damn you guys did an excellent, understated paint job on the Seeker, very classy.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6
    Glad I jumped on the Goblin a week ago... otherwise I would've bought the seeker and then wondered if I should've got the Gob. Should've Could've Would've... DID IT THIS TIME!

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    52
    wow great job... the seeker's livery looks even better than the Goblin's in my opinion.

    Now that I'll be purchasing somewhat soon... it may be hard to decide between the two :/

    I assume the Seeker uses the Goblin's same frame, so the 16" will have the kink?

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KrazyKreitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    451

    Introducing the Airborne Seeker 29er

    Quote Originally Posted by drivera View Post
    I assume the Seeker uses the Goblin's same frame, so the 16" will have the kink?
    That is correct.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,159
    Quote Originally Posted by avines View Post
    I started thinking the Guardian would be my best bet but since I am 215 and 5'10" (shooting for 200 by end of summer and 185 eventually), I think I need something beefier and the Seeker has my total attention. Of course, now that I am looking at it, suddenly a Goblin at less than $300 more looks very doable. I know no one has ever gone wrong buying a better bike but at the same time, if I am going to be doing easy trails with my kids, will I really notice the difference between the Reba and the Recon Gold? The x5 seems like a great component set and has to be an improvement over the LX level I am using on the hybrid, right?
    The Recon Gold and the Reba are solo air now so you can get good value out of the Recon Gold. It is light weight and an air fork is necessary at your weight. Use the extra for a $151 FlowEx/Hope2 front wheel from Wiggle and some Nobby Nic Performance tires from ebikestop.
    wiggle.com | Hope Hoops Pro2 Evo MTB Front Wheel | MTB Wheels
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic Tire 29x2. 25 Performance Folding @ eBikeStop.com

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    26
    At this price point, Seeker or Trek Mamba?


    .

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ranger Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimension View Post
    At this price point, Seeker or Trek Mamba?


    .
    SEEKER! The seeker is in line with the Trek Cobia with a slightly better fork then the cobia.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 AL SRAM XX1

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KrazyKreitzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    451

    Introducing the Airborne Seeker 29er

    Seeker. The Mamba has a coil fork compared to the air fork on the Seeker.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Mac View Post
    BigDaddy, I know you are working it, but when can we expect some additional photos of the seeker and new guardian?

    I need some more to hold me over for the next 5 weeks. Man it seems like a long time when you right it out.
    Ask and ye shall receive...............
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Introducing the Airborne Seeker 29er-ab_seeker_top.jpg  

    Introducing the Airborne Seeker 29er-ab_seeker_crank.jpg  

    Introducing the Airborne Seeker 29er-ab_seeker_controls.jpg  

    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TheDocTx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    238
    That is the sickest paint scheme to date! Love it.

  50. #50
    MTB B'dos
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    20,354
    I think they should offer the frameset with this paint job, looks absolutely killer, especially compared to what the frame only has right now. Thinking I might pick up a frame to give it a try, but I'd most definitely have it stripped and PCd or painted.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Goblin or wait for the new Seeker?
    By bravodog1 in forum Airborne
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-15-2013, 06:12 PM
  2. Airborne Guardian 29er Riders
    By BikingCivic in forum Airborne
    Replies: 123
    Last Post: 03-18-2013, 05:31 AM
  3. Airborne Hobgoblin FS 29er
    By jeffw-13 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 06:26 PM
  4. Airborne Goblin 29er vs.Sette Razzo 29er 2012
    By la10slgr in forum Airborne
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 12-29-2012, 11:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •