mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm I want to like my local bike shops, but...

I want to like my local bike shops, but really, when I get the responses like I did today.

Stopped in at my local bike shop to have a quick BB adjustment, and the store owner asked how much I paid and pointed out that I only had cabled actuated disk brakes. After I corrected him on the brakes, I shared the price of the bike. He asked me to do him a favor and see him next time I needed to purchase a bike because he could have saved me several hundred dollars with an equivalently spec'd Haro, and that I just spent $$$ for a Huffy. Needless to say, I took my bike home and made the adjustments myself.

This is not the first time I've had similar responses from other local shops. I really want to give my local shops my business, but how can I with such arrogant ignorance. It took me several years to find a bike with the spec I wanted for the price I could afford. I'm am loving my Goblin, and getting to be a better mechanic every day!

mtbr member
    That's what drives people like us to the internet. I will support my LBS in other ways like buy a helmet or some cycling shorts since they're decent people but they can't beat the prices online and I can fix my own equipment. If I'm unable (unlikely), we have a bike fix it shop that exists solely for that purpose. If an LBS doesn't want my money or wants to make stupid comments solely because I didn't buy from them, then I will gladly spend it elsewhere.

mtbr member
    I have no intention of dealing with any of the LBS around here for that exact reason. Also, their markup is ridiculous. My LBS is Amazon and YouTube. I can buy the part and whatever special tool and learn to do the job myself.

mtbr member

I want to like my local bike shops, but...

When I bought my Goblin back in October I expected to have to rely on a shop quite a bit more than I have. I have broken parts and upgraded and my bike runs smoother now than when I got it (got it as a used demo.) I've done all of the work myself with the exception of having my Black Flag Pro wheels trued (I got a set that wasn't quite true from the factory.)

It's not that I have had any problems at my local shops, I'm just the kind of person that a) likes to learn how to fix things so I know how they work and b) don't enjoy paying people for things I can do.

Let me also say, I didn't know anything about bikes 6 months ago. The last bike I had before my Goblin got torn apart and never put back together then I lost interest because I started driving. I've learned quite a bit in the last few months.
    Last edited by KrazyKreitzer; 05-15-2013 at 03:11 AM.

mtbr member
    I have had no problem with my LBS! The owner there loves my bike and we had a laugh one day I was in there as some of the customers asked him if he had any of those Black Airborne Hobgoblins left! He said no but would try to get them something equivalent to it! LOL. If a LBS cuts down what you have purchased its because they feel threatened by another product. The owner of mine says he has nothing that compares to mine in that price range I paid that has full XO and actually test rode my bike and was surprised at how similar it felt to his Giant Anthem. He's actually going to convert my tire to tubeless and cut my steering tube down a little. He's charging me $15 to do tubeless conversion and $15 to cut the steering tube. He also knows that if I need an upgrade ill go through him as Ive already told him I have an interest in putting a SID front fork on it. I bought some gloves from him the other day. He says I am already in his shop more than his usual regulars and really appreciated my business. Just find another shop that's actually interested in making money!!! As maintenance and upgrades is how bike shops survive! As far as selling bikes, yes I am sure getting rid of inventory comforts them but they make hardly any money on the bikes. Most places sell them for what you see them on the manufactures websites!! Good Luck man! And Id like to give a shout out to my LBS Locomotion in Baldwin Park for helping me and being honest with me. Oh if they call it a Huffy ask them to show you something better in your price point with the same components. My Airborne Hobgoblin XO did just fine along side my friends Jet 9 RDO and my buddies Gary Fisher Rumble fish! At the trail people where asking me questions about my bike not my buddies!! The rumble fish is 5 lbs heavier than my bike!!!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    JMHO, not that $15 is a ton of money, but going tubeless is really pretty easy. Especially if you already have tubeless wheels and tires. The first time I did it, I was able to use a floor pump.

The LBS-s in my area have pretty good folks working there and they are generally pretty helpful.

The problem with many LBS is that they just don't have a very big selection of bikes or components. They are set up to sell mostly entry level bikes that don't cost much for consumers and don't cost much to keep in inventory.

When you get to a point where you want a non-entry level, more expensive bike then the selection really drops.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I had a similar conversation in the closest LBS to me. The guy asked me "How do you like your Huffy?" and when I told him that it was great and he asked me how much I paid he said he could have gotten me a carbon Jamis with better components for the same $$. I said "Really? Let's go talk, then!" It came down to him trying to tell me that a mix of Shimano Deore and SLX is equivalent to Sram X7 and that the Rock Shox Recon is "as good as" the Reba. Well, and that bike would end up being a few hundred dollars more than my Goblin but it was "totally a better bike all around".

I don't go to that bike shop anymore.

At a different LBS, where I ended up buying my wife a Specialized Myka, they were much more friendly and didn't try to BS me. The came right out and said that for the price I paid they have nothing even close to that component spec and it sounds like I got a good deal. I've paid them for the maintenance I've needed that I didn't want to do myself, bought a bike from them and a lot of accessories. In the end it all comes down to attitude.

Perpetual n00b
    So which one of these bikes was he going to try to sell you? None of them are spec'd as nicely as a Goblin except maybe the FLC 29 Pro at $3400...
    If you gorge yourself into morbid obesity, you can skip everyone else in line at Disney World.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    JMHO, not that $15 is a ton of money, but going tubeless is really pretty easy. Especially if you already have tubeless wheels and tires. The first time I did it, I was able to use a floor pump.

The LBS-s in my area have pretty good folks working there and they are generally pretty helpful.

The problem with many LBS is that they just don't have a very big selection of bikes or components. They are set up to sell mostly entry level bikes that don't cost much for consumers and don't cost much to keep in inventory.

When you get to a point where you want a non-entry level, more expensive bike then the selection really drops.
    Well with my busy schedule the $15 I totally worth it and its money towards my LBS so its well worth it.

MTB Fanatic
    Yeah, you would think shops like these would die because of service like that. But there are so many people who have some kind of weird blind loyalty to a certain shop and they spend ALL their money there. It's like they are dedicated to keeping that store in business all by themselves.

I have found bike shops to be hit or miss. My favorite bike shop has great mechanics and they are happy to service my Airborne and sell me accessories without attitude. But I was shopping for a fat bike that was priced at $1680. I offered $1500 and said I'd like to have one but couldn't go any higher. They flat out refused, so they lost the sale, which is fine. I wasn't offended. But 2 months later, they had a sale and the same bike was $1500. So yeah, sometimes I'm confused by them. I understand I was shopping for a fat bike in the winter and they were trying to move product for the warm months, but if I were in sales, I'd be moving product as fast as possible. Especially to people walking out the door.

Plus shops need to understand that even if you sell a bike for cheaper than you want, you're still getting people on bikes from YOUR shop. They will be more likely to tell their friends how great your shop is and bring that bike to you for service. You'll make more in the long run. Kinda like how I'm on the Airborne forum right now and always recommending Airborne to the other cyclists in my life.
    Nathan

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTec View Post
    ...he said he could have gotten me a carbon Jamis with better components for the same $$. I said "Really? Let's go talk, then!" It came down to him trying to tell me that a mix of Shimano Deore and SLX is equivalent to Sram X7 and that the Rock Shox Recon is "as good as" the Reba. Well, and that bike would end up being a few hundred dollars more than my Goblin but it was "totally a better bike all around".
    That's awesome! Everyone should reply to that like you did

TXTony
    I have bought numerous bikes from LBS...some good experiences and some bad...I have bought 2 vis the internet..positive experiences on both..over the last few years I have noticed with each years release of bikes the prices seem to be going up and the specs seem to be going down...until you reach the really high end level models..I have some friends that work at some of the LBS and they all agree I got a great deal on the Goblin..my biggest reason for choosing Airborne was the customer service..stellar IMO..even if I can not load the bike up and take it to them I know any issue or question I have they will address it and point me the right way..second reason I wanted something different..something not everyone else has...it does generate conversations out on the trail sometimes..how many other forums do you see the company involved with the people who buy their bikes...not a lot...almost seems like a little sub culture of Airborne riders...most of the threads on this forum stay positive and dudes exchange info and try to help each other out...that is cycling in my book..I think with the current economy all of us as riders are looking for the best deal out there.. the LBS are in business to make money..there are still some good shops out there..I have one 4 miles from my house but drive around 12 miles to use one because of the service and knowledge the owner has...he could care less what you bring in or where you bought it..if it needs fixing...he fixes it and his prices beat all the bigger shops around here...when the need hits me to buy another rig I will look Airborne first and see what they have that fits my needs...

mtbr member
    I have good LBS experience and bad. Like all retailers they can suffer from a poor pool of people willing to work for little more than minimum wage (these shops dont have enough to pay top salaries). I would guess the average lbs mechanic makes around 20k per year if they are not getting any sales commision. I wrench my own bikes because like my cars I just dont trust anyone to do as quality a job as I will. You were much more polite than I would have been in that situation I probably would have told him to eff off for those statements and the bs he was feeding you.

I saw a NEXT full suspension up on the workstand at my favorite local shop. They dont turn away any money and they are very polite.

mtbr member
    My LBS has been very helpful the 2 times ive brought my goblin in. Insulting people because they didn't buy their bike from you isn't a very good way to do business!