mtbr member
    Apr 2012

How does the Hobgoblin compare to other FSers?

Wassup, guys and gals!

Wondering your opinions on how the hobgoblin rates in terms of fit, feel, geometry of some other FS 29ers out there. My thoughts are that this bike is sweet! But, I'd like to actually ride it or something comparable before dropping the coin on it. I can demo/rent/get my grubby hands on treks, specialized, giant, cannondale, etc. So I'm thinking to find similar rides, test a few and if the ones I like are close to the HG, pull the trigger on the HG.

Any thoughts on this? For reference, I'm 6'2", 210 and ride a 26er rockhopper hardtail that fits like a glove and is fun to ride. Looking for some new experiences and more comfort for longer, more challenging rides with the HG.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Hobgoblin is like the Giant Anthem but with better components! I test rode the giant and they both have a similar feel. Only difference I noticed was the hobgoblin didn't have as much pedal bob which is almost nothing. Hobgoblin rocks! So does the Anthem! I bought the Hobgoblin XO for what I was going pay for the Giant with lower component level!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey, Mitch! Thank you for your input. Do you think the HG is a better pedaling platform than the anthem? That's pretty high praise to say that it had less bob than the maestro setup. How does the suspension respond for out of the seat climbs or quick standing and mashing sessions?

I know I can't spring for the full-on xo version, but I think the x7 specs are incredible for the price.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akaHector View Post
    Hey, Mitch! Thank you for your input. Do you think the HG is a better pedaling platform than the anthem? That's pretty high praise to say that it had less bob than the maestro setup. How does the suspension respond for out of the seat climbs or quick standing and mashing sessions?

I know I can't spring for the full-on xo version, but I think the x7 specs are incredible for the price.

Thanks again!
    When describing pedal bob on the hobgoblin I was describing a standing climb! It's handles just like the giant! The anthem I was looking at was $2700 and had x7 shifters and X9dr. Cranks were lower end SRAM. When mashing the pedals the hobgoblin is super responsive. It's a great bike. I know how you are feeling now! I'm excited for you!
    Last edited by Mitch1171; 07-07-2013 at 07:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey, thanks again, buddy. I am stoked about an upcoming new bike day! Ya know, as much as I like the guys at my lbs, I just can't bring myself to pay what they're asking when options like airborne are out there.

mtbr member
    Did you get the HG? I bought the X7 as everything I test rode in the $2000 range had much weaker components. Let us know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey guys! No, haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'll still demo some rides around here before the purchase. I'm nearly certain I'll end up with an HG, because it does seem like the strongest bike in its price range. And airborne as a company has really impressed me so far.

Gunner, congrats on the ride, bro!

As a bit of a tangent question to the OP, what were you guys riding before you got the hobgoblin? Thanks again!

mtbr member
    I was riding a specialized endure! Sold it as I wanted something more cross country but something that would let me do some smaller rock garden stuff. Love my hobgoblin!

mtbr member
    I had an 08 Trek 3700 (beat it to hell). So this is truly a luxury tourer for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey, thanks guys!

Gunner, I'm in the same boat as you coming from my 26" rockhopper. I love how agile it is in tight, technical areas and I know the HG is objectively a bigger, heavier bike, but every review I've read about it praises its nimbleness.

Thanks again for the info!

mtbr member
    I do not notice the weight difference and even though my 3700 was stripped down to a mere 28lbs and this HG goes slightly over 30 it still feels faster and easier to ride. I know it climbs way better than my old hardtale. I can say without a doubt full suspension has increased my ability to ride faster and more technical than I was before. Faster and more technical = much better time on the trails.

Airborne Product Dude
    I know it sounds cliche, but my personal opinion is the X7-equipped HobGoblin doesn't ride like it weighs 30lbs, it "feels" lighter when you are riding it. I spent a lot of time on different versions of the HG during our development process and didn't feel like I was handicapped by any sort of weight issue on the trail. In fact, generally after long rides with a lot of climbing I felt "fresher" at the end of the ride when riding my HG versus the lighter hardtail.

Not that 30lbs is really heavy for a FS 29er that costs $2K or less......

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That idea of the bigger bike handling better than the smaller one still seems a bit off to me, but since I don't have firsthand experience, I'll defer to other peoples' wisdom. I'm looking forward to finding out for myself!

mtbr member
    I think it comes down to more factors than heavier bike. Like going from HT to FS and 26" to 29". Going from enttry level shimano 3x9 to mid level X7 2x10 (which seems to have endless combos to me). It climbs like a goat, this is due in part to gearing, 29" tires, and full suspension that is designed properly. All these factors combine to create less fatigue on the body and that for me makes the whole experience easier which is probably where the "I dont notice the weight differnce" statement come true. Now when I pick the bike up in the parking lot to load it onto my truck I notice the weight it just doesnt affect me on the trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Will agree with Jeremy. I went from a HT 26 to a HT 29. The only thing the 29 doesn't do as well is very sharp corners.

The 29 climbs better, descends better, is faster on flat sections. It is faster and more stable in general than my 26.

The HT 29 makes me feel less "beat up" after a ride than I did on the 26.

Airborne Product Dude
    For you HobGoblin folks, check out the MTBR homepage. We've now taken over the left and right side of the page.

Mountain Bike Review ? The Best Mountain Bike Brands and Parts Online - Mtbr.com

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    For you HobGoblin folks, check out the MTBR homepage. We've now taken over the left and right side of the page.

Mountain Bike Review ? The Best Mountain Bike Brands and Parts Online - Mtbr.com

Jeremy
    I'm sure advertising on MTBR is having a very positive impact on sales. Smart marketing for sure.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by akaHector View Post
    That idea of the bigger bike handling better than the smaller one still seems a bit off to me, but since I don't have firsthand experience, I'll defer to other peoples' wisdom. I'm looking forward to finding out for myself!
    I wouldn't say it "handles better" but it does handle different, for sure. A 29er won't prevent you from going anywhere that your 26 could take you, and it might make a couple a things easier - I find technical climbing to be much easier on the Hobgoblin than on my 26ers. Its actually surprising how much traction the back end has when ascending. At times, I expect it to slide out, but instead it digs right in with an amount of traction that only inspires more confidence for the task at hand.

Tight turns are indeed different, but only in the tightest circumstances will it be a real challenge to maneuver through. Switchbacks, a little wider too, but it's hardly prohibitive. And of course, it maintains speed very well - and is boldly more stable at high speeds. But, I'm preaching to a choir I suppose

If you have the patience, check out the turn at about 3:36 in the video below (I'm the only 29er in the group - blue hoody, blue Hobgobln). They don't get much tighter than that, and that is up on a fairly exposed section of granite - falling was not an option, neither was second-guessing. Confidence was key, and the Hobgoblin inspired.

Foothills Comp from J Hazard on Vimeo.

Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Holy crap, Jerry! I was blown away by the scenery! Those trails are gorgeous. Nothing like the wooded piedmont here in Birmingham, although ripping through the woods definitely inspires awe in my soul.

So, about your video, man, that was impressive. I've read on the forums here about the limits of a full susser with only 4" of travel, but I don't really see the HG holding you back. How much have you modified your bike? I can see the bars are different. Any other changes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I believe he has a longer travel front fork and some other mods.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Thanks Hector That's just our winter spots, we have some alpine/forest stuff for summer - but I do love where I get to ride, for sure!

In the video, I have wider bars (Raceface Atlas) - I've been a wide bar advocate since my singlespeed days shorter stem (50mm Sunline V1 AM), a longer fork and some Kenda Nevagals in 2.2 size. Otherwise, its' stock. These changes don't really make anything MORE possible on the bike, but they do make it a bit more comfortable for me. Also - the lines in the video are about the limit of where I'll comfortably take the Hobgoblin, as I do realize it's not really an "AM" bike, but more XC. Anything more extreme is (IMO) beyond its intended use.

My current HG set up is quite different, but I don't want to hijack too much. My wife has a stock HG, and when I'm really out to cruise fast and get a good ride in - I "borrow" her bike (shhhhhh). The stock set up is VERY capable in a variety of terrain, and that bike is FAST. The comments above about it feeling lighter are not an exaggeration. It also feels like more than 100mm travel...

But the whole point for the video was to show that its really a misconception about 29ers not being maneuverable - they will go where you want to put them. It just takes a little time to get familiar with the difference from 26.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post

Jeremy
    Loved opening mtbr to see my HG XO! Feels like I've made it!!!!