Captain Climber

How do you remove SkyHawk headset bearings from cup?

I took my headset apart because it sounded gritty. I couldn't get the bearings out of the cups to clean them good. Are they suppose to come out? If so how?

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    I took my headset apart because it sounded gritty. I couldn't get the bearings out of the cups to clean them good. Are they suppose to come out? If so how?
    They aren't supposed to come out. However you can clean/spray them out from the backside and repack them.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Captain Climber
    Do you mean like this Jeremy?
    How do you remove SkyHawk headset bearings from cup?-wmb88.work.work_pic1_prev-670-70.jpg
    Name:  WMB88.work.work_pic2_prev-499-70.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  25.5 KB
    How do you remove SkyHawk headset bearings from cup?-wmb88.work.work_pic3_prev-499-70.jpg
    Name:  WMB88.work.work_pic4_prev-498-70.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  25.9 KB
    Name:  WMB88.work.work_pic5_prev-498-70.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  22.6 KB

Airborne Product Dude
    Yep!

They look a little different than that but that's the basic idea. Good find~

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Is the Chuck Lennon dirt in those bearings?

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Yep!

They look a little different than that but that's the basic idea. Good find~

Jeremy
    Thanks

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Is the Chuck Lennon dirt in those bearings?
    Yep.. that sand gets everywhere. I basically have to wash my drive train after every ride because is sounds all gritty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yep.. that sand gets everywhere. I basically have to wash my drive train after every ride because is sounds all gritty.
    What type of lube do you use on your chain?

I use either a wax based or Teflon based lube. An oil based lube collects dirt something terrible.

Captain Climber
    Finish Line Cross Country. Honestly though I get goop and sand in areas of my chain rings and cogs that are never used and don't have lube on them. We have some unusual conditions here (sugar sand).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The soil in my area is mostly clay. It gets hard as cement when it is dry, but then it gets pretty dusty and the wax or Teflon lubes help with the drive train.

There's only one way to keep your bike from getting dirty......leave it in the garage.

mtbr member
    Finish Line Cross Country. Honestly though I get goop and sand in areas of my chain rings and cogs that are never used and don't have lube on them. We have some unusual conditions here (sugar sand).

I have the same issue here in east TX. Sand on every trail I ride. I blow the sand out of the drivetrain with compressed air after every ride. I am using the Finish Line Teflon Dry Lube and it gets caked with sand. I will try something different when I run out, but like you said it sticks to everything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I too have to deal with sand in Florida but it doesn't seem to be much of an issue using White Lightning Clean Ride. It's a self cleaning wax lube that works really well. I just picked up the 32 ounce jug of it from Amazon. Much cheaper than the $9 for 4 ounces at my LBS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cuttrs View Post
    I too have to deal with sand in Florida but it doesn't seem to be much of an issue using White Lightning Clean Ride. It's a self cleaning wax lube that works really well. I just picked up the 32 ounce jug of it from Amazon. Much cheaper than the $9 for 4 ounces at my LBS
    Someone I was riding with recently suggested the same. I'll give it a try!

EDIT: Found it on Amazon, great deal! That should last years. What are you using to apply it to the chain since it comes in a 32oz jug?

Captain Climber
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDocTx View Post
    I have the same issue here in east TX. Sand on every trail I ride. I blow the sand out of the drivetrain with compressed air after every ride. I am using the Finish Line Teflon Dry Lube and it gets caked with sand. I will try something different when I run out, but like you said it sticks to everything.
    Well, now I know not to try that. It was next on my list.

Captain Climber
    I use White Lightning grease and have their chain cleaner... Will have to give this a try.

Captain Climber
    Hey, I just looked this stuff up and they sell it at my local Walmart pretty cheap. I'll get the small bottle from there and give it a try.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I put it in one of those old school oil cans with the long spout. You press the bottom of the can with your thumb to release drops at a time. It's angled just right for lubing the chain. Make sure your chain is clean before applying.
    Mix it well before filling canister or applying to chain.

mtbr member
    Im using a new WD40 bike chain lube that's a dry lube. so far it works killer

mtbr member
    I put it in one of those old school oil cans with the long spout. You press the bottom of the can with your thumb to release drops at a time. It's angled just right for lubing the chain. Make sure your chain is clean before applying.
    Mix it well before filling canister or applying to chain.
    Sweet, they sell those oil cans at Harbor Freight for three bucks.

Captain Climber
    Hey Jeremy, the pics above don't seem to be the same kind as is on my bike. Do I need to knock these out to clean/repack them? This tool will work won't it?
    http://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Bike-H...et+cup+remover

What would you recommend for a replacement if needed?

Captain Climber
    I used this for the first time today and it did the trick! Thanks for recommending it.

PS I can see why I'm getting grit in my headset bearings now that I have a white fork. I could see a lot of sand and grit on the bottom bearing when I was finished today. When my headset removal tool arrives I am going to remove them and grease them up real good.

Captain Climber
    Disregard the pictures above. I took the headset apart today and the cups had a snap ring holding the bearings in. When you take that off there are 34 tiny ball bearings inside. They hardly had any grease in them. I cleaned them and greased them real good. Very smooth now. This pic is not great but hopefully you can see the snap ring.