Chris Bling

How do the Guardians Hold up?

Looking at getting my wife a new bike. She has an old crappy Trek that is too small for her. She is not really aggressive when she rides, but comes with me on some rides from time to time. She will be spending a decent amount of time pulling a Chariot trailer with our new little baby boy on board We mainly have 4x4 trails and atv trails where we live, so nothing really crazy.

Today is really the first time I have really ever considered getting an Airborne. Just wondering if you think the Guardian would fit the bill better, or if I should consider getting the Goblin!

thanks in advance
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    From my perspective, the Guardian is one of the best values in biking. For an entry bike for someone who doesn't ride all that often, the Guardian would be a great choice.

The Goblin is a great bike. But it may be a bit more bike than you wife really needs.

As I said, the Guardian is a GREAT value.

MTB Fanatic
    Agreed. I treat my Guardian like a red (headed) stepchild and it never complains about the abuse. At about half the price of the Goblin, it's an amazing deal.
    Nathan

Captain Climber
    I can't speak for the Gaurdian but I have the less expensive SkyHawk and this thing holds up great! I would expect the Guardian to be even better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    As posted above it sounds like the Goblin might be more bike than needed. Not that there's anything wrong with having more bike than needed!
    I've only put 200 or so miles on my Guardian so I can't speak to longevity but the miles I've put on the Guardian were hard miles through lots of technical sections and I've seen zero issues nor the start of any potential issues.
    The one thing I would caution you to think about is the riding position. My Guardian in stock form/setup puts my body in a fairly aggressive XC position. Great for what I do but may not be ideal for easy riding while pulling a trailer.
    This is not trying to dissuade you (her) from getting a Guardian or even a Goblin but rather a heads up to be prepared to adjust or replace the cockpit to better suit the riding style.
    All of that said, I love my Guardian and Airborne! I will talk about Airborne to anyone at length. Just ask the poor guy with the race-ready Goblin that I cornered to talk to at yesterday's Thule Urban Assault race!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Some very quick anecdotal evidence sharing: I ride a 20" Gobiln and my wife has an 18" Guardian, both about 2 weeks old now with some varied riding (including about 20 miles of sometimes technical singletrack with a few drops, plus rocky and rooty climbing and descents) under our belts.

I have ridden both bikes back to back on the same / similar section of trail, and with the exception of the lesser travel fork and the lower traction tires (IMO), the Guardian did not seem significantly less capable than the Goblin. Based on your description of her intended use, the Guardian sounds like it might be near perfect. Also, hers shipped with an X5 FD, which is a nice bonus considering the Airborne website specs an X3, so a little surprise upgrade.