mtbr member
    May 2013

How to Adjust Goblin Derail and Brake lever?

I found this link for the derailleur and it looks good, I adjusted it originally. I noticed on some climbs in low gears that it was slipping and losing all pedal pressure. I am going to do this tutorial tomorrow....hopefully it fixes that issue.

My second small problem is my rear brake lever has to be smashed pretty far down to actually brake. Is this due to the cable getting stretched out a bit? If so, how do i go about tightening this? Any tips or videos?

Thanks in advance,
    loving the bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The brakes on the goblin are hydraulic so there is no cable to stretch out. Did you do the bedding in procedure per the avid instructions? Have you checked for leaks at the lever and caliper? Maybe it is the reach adjustment knob?

Airborne Product Dude
    That tutorial is good. Ensure also that your RD hanger isn't bent. If the RD hanger is bent, no amount of adjustment can get it just right so that it doesn't have issues at one end of the gear range. If it is bent, it usually can be straightened back to vertical fairly easily.

On the brakes, they are hydraulic so in theory there is no such thing as cable stretch. How far is "far"? Is the lever nearly touching the grip? If it's really bad, it may have air bubbles in the fluid and needs a bleed.

The other thing to consider is maybe the reach adjust is dialed in pretty far and needs to be dialed out? The dial for it is that small thunbscrew on the inside of the lever. You might look at that first.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    *Derp* had no idea that dial was there! Thank you so much for the help BigDaddy, brake is good! Going to perform that tutorial and check my RD later to see if its bent.

Thanks Again!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just did the RD tutorial...piece of cake! Chocolate cake with sprinkles to be specific....