Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Hobgoblin XO

5K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  KrazyKreitzer 
#1 ·
Finally got some dirt on this thing! Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle

See less See more
#12 ·
The ride has me smiling the entire time I'm on it. Its very quiet, shifts spot on and very fluid. The rear shock is awesome soaks up everything but has almost no pedal bob! The Reba up front is of course also very nice and handles even the heavily rooted areas here in Florida. Very light for me as my old bike was around 38 pounds. With my pedals on this its close to 28 so I am running a ten pound difference! Im coming off an all mountain rig so not surprised at all. All ready losing body weight from riding this bike as it lets me excel on the longer trips as where my all mountain set up left me way behind my XC friends. The mechanic at my LBS says its a pretty bad ass bike for XC and said I made a hell of a choice.

#4 ·
Dude that frame is CRAZY! I have yet to see a pic from that angle.

I wish we would get some rain over here. The sand gets really deep when it gets this dry. Parts of the trail have been working me half to death! Its totally worth it to get to the fun part though.

#18 ·
Bike is solid! Im going to a 1 X10 with a 34T wolf tooth front ring. I have had nothing go wrong with this bike at all I had to have a crank arm warranted for me but it wasn't due to a crack or break. Someone tried to steal the bike of my car. When they couldn't do that they tried to pull the cranks off and in the process stripping the retaining bolt on the cranks so my shop cut it out and sram sent a new one. The bike handles very well and I have had it in some rock gardens where it stood its ground well. Climbing is great on this bike and is a great bike for all day XC riding. Only thing ive put on it is a longer seat post as my body size runs between a medium and a large frame. I went with medium so I can flick the bike around easier. Cant go wrong with this bike for the money and what you get. Great build by Airborne.

#20 ·
Not at all. I am 6ft, inseam is between 33-34. When I bought mine I downloaded an app on my iphone called size my bike. It was real helpful and when I figured it all out I sent results to Airborne. Hope this helps. I think the question for you since you sound like your are in the same size range is do you want to be more in a stretched aggressive position or back in the saddle more. I prefer to be back a little more. However I shorter stem could help in this department. I have stuck with the stock stem which I think on the mediums in a 90mm I think.

#22 ·
I've been riding about 50-60 miles per week on different trails since getting my HGXO. I just recently went clipless with some shimano m780 pedals and I'm about to start playing around with the cockpit now that I'm getting a feel for it. I love the bike, my only complaint is how noisy the elixir 9 brakes are at times. I got rid of the "howl" by realigning the calipers but they are still fairly squeaky under pressure. I can't quite figure it out.

#23 ·
The noise is a pretty common Avid brake thing. Some people have fixed it switching to Shimano pads and rotors.

I don't really get noise with my XO Trail's but every other person I ride with that has Avid brakes squeels like a pig on the descents (half dozen or more people.)

#24 ·
The noise is a pretty common Avid brake thing. Some people have fixed it switching to Shimano pads and rotors.

I don't really get noise with my XO Trail's but every other person I ride with that has Avid brakes squeels like a pig on the descents (half dozen or more people.)
The pig squeal noise is what I was able to fix by realigning the caliper. Have them slightly loosen the 2 bolts that hold the caliper to the frame, gently squeeze and hold the brake lever, then tighten the bolts again. That should fix the squeal but I still get a softer higher pitched screech I can't get rid of.

#25 ·
Hah, we refer to that as the turkey warble. First thing I always do when my friends complain about their brakes is the adjustment like you described. The squeel/squeak is what we can't seem to tune out. To be honest, I've heard it from all disk brakes I've ridden on and with at one point or another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.