mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Hobgoblin with upgraded wheels

I'm coming from a Gary Fisher Roscoe, which I love, but would like to move to a 29'er bike. I love the quick handling of my Roscoe since its a 26.

I demoed a Trek Fuel EX 8 yesterday, but it feel really slooooow in its handling. Rolled nice, but slow handling. I'm wondering if anyone has bought a Hobgoblin and used its cheap price to upgrade to a really nice and light set of wheels?

I figure 500$ for wheels on top of the price of bike would be a decent package. Also, I rode a 15.5" in the Fuel that fit me well. Would the small Hobgoblin probably fit similar?

Thanks.
    Last edited by JB 19; 07-04-2013 at 12:53 PM.

Rogue Exterminator
    If buying and planning to upgrade right away, why not just get the Hobgoblin XO

Hobgoblin + new $500 wheels = $2250
    Hobgoblin XO = $3000

Sure it is $750 more but all the components are pretty much top of the line.

Just a thought.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Hobgoblin with upgraded wheels

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    If buying and planning to upgrade right away, why not just get the Hobgoblin XO

Hobgoblin + new $500 wheels = $2250
    Hobgoblin XO = $3000

Sure it is $750 more but all the components are pretty much top of the line.

Just a thought.
    This is straight on. It would cost more than 1300 to buy all the stuff that is better on the XO version and put it on the basic hobgoblin. They are both great bikes and raved about, so truthfully it's up to you OP.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

Airborne Flight Crew
    How tall are you? I'm 5'8"

If you're coming to a 29er looking for a playful feel, the small might be a better choice (but no 29er will feel playful when compared directly to a 26er). The geometry specs on the Trek and Hobgoblin are fairly similar, looks like the HG may have a slightly longer top tube by about half an inch. Wheelbase and chainstay are about equal, so they should have a similar "feel", though I think the ride would be different.

My wife has the 17 inch HG, and I have the 15.5 - we are about the same height). For straight up XC cruising - the 17 is great. Solid, stable and maneuverable, and it will go anywhere you care to take it. But it won't feel like a 26.

I'm more of an aggressive rider, and I tend to shift my weight around a lot when riding technical things, and I prefer the small frame. Its not playful by 26" standards, but for a 29er its right in there.

As mentioned, if you're really concerned about a higher end wheelset - why not just to the whole bike and get the XO version?
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    How tall are you? I'm 5'8"

If you're coming to a 29er looking for a playful feel, the small might be a better choice (but no 29er will feel playful when compared directly to a 26er). The geometry specs on the Trek and Hobgoblin are fairly similar, looks like the HG may have a slightly longer top tube by about half an inch. Wheelbase and chainstay are about equal, so they should have a similar "feel", though I think the ride would be different.

My wife has the 17 inch HG, and I have the 15.5 - we are about the same height). For straight up XC cruising - the 17 is great. Solid, stable and maneuverable, and it will go anywhere you care to take it. But it won't feel like a 26.

I'm more of an aggressive rider, and I tend to shift my weight around a lot when riding technical things, and I prefer the small frame. Its not playful by 26" standards, but for a 29er its right in there.

As mentioned, if you're really concerned about a higher end wheelset - why not just to the whole bike and get the XO version?
    Thanks for the info. I'm 5'8" as well. Handling is really important to me since most of my riding is on tight twisting singletrack. The XO looks tempting. Its tough to talk myself into spending 3G's on a bike that doesn't have many direct comparisons with other mid to high end bikes.

For example, I would like to see a shootout between the Hobgoblin XO, Trek Superfly 100, Specialized Epic Comp, and Niner Jet 9. Most of the feedback is either in single bike tests or reviews from people who have just bought their first "serious" bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    You guys will laugh at this, but I have thrown around the idea of swapping the 140mm fork on my Roscoe to a 100mm and put a 29" wheel on the front.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by JB 19 View Post
    You guys will laugh at this, but I have thrown around the idea of swapping the 140mm fork on my Roscoe to a 100mm and put a 29" wheel on the front.
    Stranger things have been done.

That would be considered a 69er. It has been done but I suppose there is a reason it is not very popular. The main being geometry.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Stranger things have been done.

That would be considered a 69er. It has been done but I suppose there is a reason it is not very popular. The main being geometry.
    The ending geometry would be about the same though. Take 40mm from the forks and add in 38 mm with 29" wheel. If I'm thinking about it right.

mtbr member
    The Hobgoblin is almost identical to the Giant Anthem! Very similar suspension set up but the Hobgoblin has better components and has a 5 year warranty! I have the HOBGOB XO! Its sweet and I test rode the Giant and superfly 100. The trek just didn't fit me right so I tried the Anthem and the set up is very similar to the Hobgoblin but what I noticed is the Hobgoblin has less pedal bob when climbing. Plus you get all XO and Carbon cock pit! Good Luck.