mtbr member
    Apr 2013

hobgoblin tubeless?

anyone convert their hobgoblin to run tubeless? looking to get a hobgoblin, and want to convert it to run tubeless, and looking for recommendations on kits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    As far as I know the Goblin and hobgoblin come with everything to run tubeless in the box. So all you have to do its the actual conversion.
    -Airborne Skyhawk
    -2000 Raleigh M30
    -2008 Cannondale Rush 6

mtbr member

hobgoblin tubeless?

That's true on XO versions. Not that it can't be done to the X7 bikes but they are not "tubeless ready."

mtbr member
    XO I cant wait

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyKreitzer View Post
    That's true on XO versions. Not that it can't be done to the X7 bikes but they are not "tubeless ready."
    im just getting into mountian biking, so im still picking things up. whats the difference between tubeless ready, and the hobgoblin, with a stans kit?

TXTony
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaNutz View Post
    im just getting into mountian biking, so im still picking things up. whats the difference between tubeless ready, and the hobgoblin, with a stans kit?
    The Goblin and Hobgoblin have 2 different options. One us the Sram X7 and the other is the Sram X0. The X0 bikes come with upgraded wheels like the Sun Ringle Black Flags. These wheels come with everything one needs to go tubeless. Tape for the rim. Valve stems and Stan's sealant to set them up. These wheels and other tubeless wheels where designed to be run tubeless. Stock wheels on the X7 equipped bikes where not designed to be run tubeless. However you can get a Stan's kit and there are others that make kits as well and set up wheels and tires tubeless. It can be hit and miss doing it this way and sometimes requires a little more effort to find the right combo that works. Or you can just get some inner tubes with sealant on them and install those.

Most riders who go tubeless do it as it allows you to run lower tire pressures(better traction) withou worrying about getting a pinched flat like you would if you had a tube in. Going tubeless does offer good protection against thorns and stuff as the sealant in the tire seals up the puncture when you get stuff like that on your tire. But a inner tube with sealant in it will do the same thing. There are pros and cons to it. It can be rather pricey to do the set up initially. Can be messy as the sealant gets all over the inside of the tire. Can be a pain to set up depending on tire and wheel combo you are trying to set up. Some tires just work better than others at getting them to seal up and hold air. The pros are you can run lower tire pressure. If you ride in an area that you are prone to flats from thorns and stuff it offers better flat protection than a standard tube.

It really comes down to the kind of riding you will be doing and area. And if you want to mess with the hassle that it can be sometimes. I have been running tubeless for years and for me will never go back to tubes. But I know guys who are still running tubes and they hardly ever have flats when we are out ridding and are totally content just running tubes. Hope this helps a little.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: hobgoblin tubeless?

It sounds like it could turn into a pain in the butt using the stock wheels and tires. So best plan forward would be I either step up to the xo, or budget for new wheels and tires in the future. Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

TXTony
    It sounds like it could turn into a pain in the butt using the stock wheels and tires. So best plan forward would be I either step up to the xo, or budget for new wheels and tires in the future. Thoughts?

Not really a pain. Just can be a challenge if you have never done it. But if your mechanically inclined watch a few videos on YouTube and you should be able to sort it out. If you are planning on new wheels there are some that can be had at a decent price that will not break the bank.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Re: hobgoblin tubeless?

Watched a few videos, piece of cake. Looks like a 2 beer job. Looks like hobgoblin is in the future. Although the xo is sweet looking....

TXTony
    Watched a few videos, piece of cake. Looks like a 2 beer job. Looks like hobgoblin is in the future. Although the xo is sweet looking....

Yeah it really is not that big of a thing. Enjoy the new ride.