mtbr member

Hobgoblin tire question...

Looking to get a new toy and decided upon the X7 version but am curious about something and couldn't find any info... I just bought some Maxxis Ardent 2.4's a few months ago and was wondering if they'll fit the HG?

Jim

Sent from hell using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think they will what rims are on that one? may be tight

mtbr member
    looks like their the WTB SpeedDisc I-19 Alloy Double-Walled with eyelets, I'm more worried about them fitting within the frame/fork than on the rims though, guess I should have noted that first off, sorry. I have some Stan's Flow's with Hope Hubs I'll be moving over if they'll clear.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcyrus16 View Post
    Looking to get a new toy and decided upon the X7 version but am curious about something and couldn't find any info... I just bought some Maxxis Ardent 2.4's a few months ago and was wondering if they'll fit the HG?

Jim

They will just fit, but not offer a great deal of clearance and may have rub if the wheel gets out of true.

I'd probably stick with 2.3's or smaller if it were me.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

Airborne Flight Crew
    I've run Kenda Nevegals in 2.2, and now Continental Trail Kings in 2.2 (the Trail Kings seem a hare narrower than the Nevegals) both fit with plenty of clearance. A 2.4 should fit, but like Jeremy said, if you're wheel comes out of true you'll be rubbing the frame. I think 2.3 is the sweet spot, if you can find a tread in that width you dig.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member

Hobgoblin tire question...

Cool deal guys, thanks.

Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Here are a couple of questions about the Geax AKA on the Hobgoblin. Hopefully, somebody has some good info.

1. There tubeless ready and non-tubeless ready AKAs. Is the one on the HG tubeless or no?

2. I ride my MTB on asphalt a fair amount. I ride 4.5 miles to one trail and I ride 24 miles round trip to work when I use it commute. Can anyone give thoughts about the AKA as an asphalt tire?

Thanks folks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post
    Here are a couple of questions about the Geax AKA on the Hobgoblin. Hopefully, somebody has some good info.

1. There tubeless ready and non-tubeless ready AKAs. Is the one on the HG tubeless or no?

2. I ride my MTB on asphalt a fair amount. I ride 4.5 miles to one trail and I ride 24 miles round trip to work when I use it commute. Can anyone give thoughts about the AKA as an asphalt tire?

Thanks folks!
    #2 - My limited experience with the AKA's seem to be very good on asphalt. They ride very smooth and fast and aren't particularly noisy.

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffharris1us View Post

Thanks folks!
    The HG doesn't have "tubeless ready" tires on it, but I know folks that have converted there's using the Stan's kit and they have worked and held air fine.

As far as being OK on asphalt, the AKA's have a lot of little knobs on them and will have some squirm in the corners. They will also wear fast on the road, especially using them on a 24mile commute. I occasionally will ride mine on the road to the trail or to the office, but both of them are short distances. If I was commuting on them I definitely would pick a smoother tire or one with a smooter center section.

Jeremy
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I currently ride a small block tire that has a pretty solid center tread. I wore the rear down pretty well after about 1500 miles - which I felt pretty good about.

I would be concerned about how quickly the AKA would wear out.

Thanks all for the feedback.

Airborne Flight Crew
    I'm a fan of the AKA's, but the rubber compound seems a bit soft for the road, I would guess that even though they're small-knobbed tire, they would wear pretty fast on the road.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website