mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Hobgoblin reviews and comparisons?

I am very interested in ordering a Hobgoblin, but there aren't very many reviews of the bike on here.

For those who have gotten one, how do you like it?

I would especially like to hear peoples first hand riding impressions of the Hobgoblin vs bikes from the big name brands so that I can get an idea of how it rides vs bikes that I have test ridden.

How does the ride/handling/etc compare to bikes like the Camber 29, Superfly 100, Anthem 29 etc?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Cant give much information as I just own a Goblin....but this review seemed pretty good.

Airborne Hobgoblin FS 29er: First Impressions

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Can't speak to the comparisons of other bikes but I can talk about the bike. I bought one in May and have been loving the bike, it climbs really well and is fun going downhill as well. The Hobgoblin is my first 29er so getting used to it has been fun. To get a name brand bike with comparable specs you will spend roughly 750 - 1000 more than you would for the Hobgoblin. Great bike and had zero issues putting it together and getting it running. I'm still working on getting the bikes suspension dialed in to how I ride but you would have that issue with any bike you get. Look through the Airborne forum here and you will get lots of little nuggets of info.

mtbr member
    I have a hobgoblin xo and have had it a few months now. The bike handles very well climbing and on downhills. Corners very well also. One thing I notice with the bike as the fast you go the better it gets. This is my first cross country full suspension bike and I have been very impressed. One bike that it rides similar to is the Giant Anthem and the Trance X29er as I demoed both a couple months before I bought my HobGob XO. The reason I got the hobgoblin is the geometry was very close to the anthem. However for $300 more than the Giant bikes I got a full XO setup with a carbon cockpit, black flag pro rims which I've gone tubeless on now. The X7 version is also a great buy for that setup as you wont get a full X7 setup on many bikes as most big companies will mix the shifters, cranks and front and rear DR. My specialized endure had X9 RD, and X7 shifters. Made no sense to me at all. At Airborne you get the whole set up which is just a sweet deal. Hope this helps. Also my local bike shop has no problems working on my bike which seems to be a concern with some people. However by the low numbers of stock I am guessing those worries are no longer. Customer service has always been outstanding with any questions I have had with the bike. Good luck out there and don't be afraid to join the family you wont be disappointed! Mitch

Airborne Flight Crew
    I'm a flight crew guy, so take it for what it's worth - I try to be objective as possible.

I've ridden the Hobgoblin since December, in a variety of terrrain. Suspension-wise, like Mitch mentioned - it's very similar to the way a Giant rides/feels. It climbs well, with lots of traction seated, even up steep stuff - with no pedal bobbing. It does well on standing climbs, but you have to center your weight a little more on the steeper stuff (same goes for about any bike). Seems the bumpier the climb, the better it does.

It is pretty playful and navigates well through slower winding trails or techy lines. But I feel it comes alive more at a healthy clip. At speed, it still corners well, and will dig in to turns if you have the umph to put in there. The Geax tires are not everyones favorite, but I really dig them, I think for the style tread pattern they are about as good as you can get. And while it's only a 100mm in the rear - if feels almost like it has more travel than that. I think that's a testament to the shock as well as well as the design of the wheelpath.

The Hobgoblin might seem a bit heavy out of the box, but really its right in line with any of the bikes in its price range. Go tubeless and you can cut nearly 2 lbs right off the bat. If you're very weight conscious, you can either start swapping parts for carbon, or just go with the XO build, which is also quite a bargain.

In the review that was posted above, the reviewer was not pleased with this Monarch shock - I have to say my experience is quite different. My lockout pretty much locks out the shock. Feels virtually like a hardtail. Setting sag in the lockout position? I would not be able to because my shock won't sag so much when it's locked. Just offering a different user experience there.

Durability-wise, I have to say I'm impressed. My wife and I got our bikes at the same time. I've spent some dollars and turned mine pretty much into a short travel enduro bike, and I've put mine through the ringer, borderlining on abuse - at least in regards to its intended purpose. So I can say with confidence, quality and craftsmanship are on par or better than the big guys. My wifes stock set up is serving her well too. I think she put a shorter stem and changed the saddle, but she is quite pleased with how it rides.

It is a quality, solid, stable XC bike, with a pretty smart component spec that you will not easily match with other brands for the price.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thank you for the responses. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I've always been a fan of putting my money into a decent frame and fork and then upgrading the rest as it wears out. The hobgoblin seems perfect since there aren't many (or any) full suspension 29ers with a nice shock (Reba) for under $2K

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've had my Hobgoblin for a few weeks now and have been out to the locals trails twice. I must say that overall, it's a great bike. I don't think you can find a better FS for the $$$$. I test rode a Stumpy Comp FSR and really liked it, but the price tag and proprietary rear shock killed it for me. Sure glad though as I discovered the Hobgoblin. My only complaint so far is the Elixir brakes. The front is ok, but my rear squealed and ultimately seized up after the first ride. Bleeding helped, but weakened it. A minor inconvenience as I knew about these brakes before ordering and plan on replacing anyway. If you want a great price/performance FS bike, look no further...

wild times
    Sep 2010
    Sweet ride, what size did you get and how tall are you? What is your riding style? I am looking at the HG XO but still a bit uncertain buying without a test ride. You sound very happy with your purchase, do you have anymore pics of your bike. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by runningwild View Post
    Sweet ride, what size did you get and how tall are you? What is your riding style? I am looking at the HG XO but still a bit uncertain buying without a test ride. You sound very happy with your purchase, do you have anymore pics of your bike. Thanks
    I'm 5'10" and ordered the 18". The fit is pretty good. Had I done it again, I'd have probably ordered the X0. I will enjoy upgrading it myself but it won't save me any money The X0 is a great deal. Just sell the Avid brakes and get the Shimano XT set.